New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Library of Leng [IC]

The Library of Leng

The Oracle was a jerk, which surprised many of you. Having fought your way through hordes of modrons on Mechanus to rescue him, you found him basking in a ghostly hot tub, surrounded by several dozen unseen servants.

He was not amused you were there to rescue him, and nearly disappeared to annoy you all. Once you talked about Kenós, the eternal Void, he stopped, as if, he had heard that name before.

And indeed he had, from ancient texts, the Oracle recalled several notable pieces of information, which is why you are now hiding behind several rocks in the Astral plane, that hd you from a monstrous behemoth, that stands implacable before the main doors.

You were told, specifically, not to mess with the golem. Which was why you were trying to find the side door into the Library of Leng. It was supposed to be near the pile of rocks you were hiding behind.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2018-08-27 at 02:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: The Library of Leng [IC]

Trexiat peers up and over the rocks at the behemoth he faced, whilst muttering a few utterances to himself, hoping to recognize it and it's weaknesses. Hopefully he'd never fight it, but his lifelong experience of suckitude taught him that anything that can happen, will happen, twice a day.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Aand I begin the game!

Anywho, Trexiat is looking up at it, and using Quickened Universal Aptitude and Hidden Truth on himself. I don't need to roll to see if either succeeds (+105 check vs DC 55 and 75), but I trigger the Law of Resistance, soo... :|

Law of Resistance:
    Universal Aptitude: +2 DC
    Hidden Truth: +2 DC

Now for that Knowledge Check. Assuming it's a construct, I have a base +38 to the check, and a +5/+10 from my utterances, which makes +53. I then take 10 on the roll (both because we're not threatened and because of my prestige as a Guildmaster in the Paragnostic Assembly.

Knowledge (Arcana): 63
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Dross

Dross slithers along to the top of the rock pile, his kobold form having given way to the bright scales of a tiny dragon. He peeks over the natural barrier, tail lashing at the sight of the golem, before darting back to the ground.

"Hesaidthere'dbeanentranceherehedid. Butthereisn't." Dross circles the area constantly as the words spill at once from his mouth. Watching his movements would make lesser beings than you grow dizzy. "Alsosaidnottofighttheguardian. Butfightingtheguardianlooksfunitdoes. Maybehe'swrongaboutthatheis. Wefightitdowe?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Give thanks to the BB software that insists on inserting random spaces or there wouldn't even be separate sentences up there.

Current buffs:
    Extended Alter Self (Mercury Dragon: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1644938 (Don't sweat the attack calcs and fly speed is currently 260'))
    Extended Heroics (Martial Study [Tornado Throw])
    Mage Armor
    Primal Instinct (+5 initiative, +5 knowledge, treat knowledge as trained)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Trexiat

Trexiat searches for the entrance

Show
    This post was deleted earlier, but I rolled a 23, and took 20 to get 32.

Law of Resistance:
    Universal Aptitude: +4 DC

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2018-08-29 at 04:07 PM.
    Show

Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Klaudis

"Please don't attack the golem, Dross." says Klaudis, his slow, patient voice everything that the kobold's is not. "Let's just keep looking for that door."

Spoiler: Rolls & Info
    Show
    I'm just going to throw some dice and see what sticks here, because Klaudis isn't super well equipped to find secret doors.

Spoiler: Skill Rolls
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana):
    (1d20+14)[24]

Knowledge (Dungeoneering):
    (1d20+14)[33]

Search:
    (1d20+4)[19]

Spot:
    (1d20+21)[30]
    Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Klaudis Liepins
    Male Lawful Neutral Human Swiftblade, Level 20, Init 11, HP 196/196, Speed 50ft
    AC 24, Touch 18, Flat-footed 18, Fort 14, Ref 17, Will 15, Base Attack Bonus +19,
    Greatclub +30 (4d8+14, 19-20/x2)
    Composite Longbow +24 (1d8+9, 20/x3)
    Mithral Breastplate (+6 Armor, +6 Dex, +2 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 28, Dex 18, Con 20, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 24
    Spoiler: Condition
    Show
    • 25% chance to ignore critical hits. (Light Fortification armor)
    endure elements spell effect. (Crystal of Least Adaptaton)
    • +2 Spot checks. (Scout's Headband)
    • Can move through difficult terrain at normal speed and without suffering any other
    impairment. (Vanguard Treads)
    • Unaffected by slippery ice, wet stones, or other surfaces where traction is a problem. (Vanguard Treads)
    • +8 bonus on attempts to resist bull rushes and +4 bonus on grapple checks to resist a grapple attempt if that grapple would move to another square. (Vanguard Treads)
    • Does not need to eat or drink. (Ring of Sustenance)
    • Needs to sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep. (Ring of Sustenance)
    • Cast greater mighty wallop this morning, increasing the damage of Klaudis' greatclub by three effective size categories. 28 hour duration.
    • Cast dragonsight this morning, granting the ability to see four times as well as a normal human in low-light conditions and twice as well in normal light; Darkvision effective out to 140 feet; half the normal penalties for distance on Spot checks; blindsense effective out to 70 feet. 28 hour duration.
    Spoiler: Additional Information
    Show
    Klaudis will normally cast haste as a Swift action at the start of battle, gaining the following benefits:
    • +1 on attack rolls.
    • +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex.
    • +30ft enhancement bonus to speed, stacks with the bonus from the Swift Surge (Ex) class ability.
    • 50% concealment.
    • 50% chance of ignoring targeted spells.
    Freedom of movement spell effect.
    • May move across the surface of placid or flowing water, but not whitewater rapids or stormy water, by making two Move actions in a round. Immediately sinks any time he makes a single move action in a round or comes to a complete stop while traversing water.
    • One additional Move or Standard action per round.

When Klaudis casts haste on himself the effect is Extraordinary rather than a continuous spell effect, and therefore cannot be dispelled by any means. It can still be countered as a spell at the moment of casting.

He will usually follow up by casting enlarge person as One-Round action, gaining the following benefits:
    • +2 Size bonus to Strength.
    • -2 Size penalty to Dexterity.
    • -1 Size penalty to attack rolls and AC.
    • Becomes Large size; space and reach increase to 10/10; equipment changes size accordingly.
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2018-08-27 at 09:52 PM.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Best to leave the golem alone for now until Trexiay determines what he knows about it."

Herald shrugs, his feathery wings furl around his body like a cloak.

"If you need any help searching for the door, give me a call. I'll be happy to provide assistance."

The hooded bird man, reinforce his defenses by shifting his skin to slightly tough scales in the event Dross's action agitates the golem to attack them (Minor shapeshift; 20 Temporary HP for 5 rounds; renewing every time it runs out).
    Last edited by Yas392; 2018-08-28 at 01:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Dross

The transmuted wyrmling pulls out a wand and presses the tip to his ear. "Tell!" he says before stowing it back in his bandoleer.

Spoiler
    Show
    listening lorecall, +4 insight to Listen, blindsense 30', blindsight 15'

"IfTrexiatknewhe'dtellushewould!" Dross says. "Trexiatknowseverythingbutnothathedoesn't. Thatmeansnooneelsedoes. Wecouldbethefirst!First!First!First!"

The kobold flies to the exterior wall. "Boringsecretdoorsareboring. Doesn'tmakeyourbloodraceitdoesn't. Nopumpahpumpahpumpahpumintheearsthereisn't." Dross flits from one part of the wall to another, constantly babbling about how much better it would be to fight, yet all the while using his voice to sound out the wall's surface, paying attention for any false note or voids that might be covered by an illusion.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I can Aid Another on the Take 20 Search check: (1d20+7)[21]
    If there is an illusion and need a Will save, Moment of Perfect Mind: (1d20+30)[35]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

As usual, this morning Kork Gran offered to share the heroes' feast from his horn of plenty with any of his fellow adventures who cared to join him.

The famed dwarven "hero" also took the precaution of using a couple of his other magical items to cast protective spells on himself. No reason to be foolhardy about this ...

"That Oracle guy seemed to know a thing or two so let's try this his way" Kork says.

He dons his blindfold of true darkness in case blindsight might reveal something that sight would not.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Heroes' Feast (immune to poison and fear; (1d8+6)[8] temp hp; +1 morale to attack rolls and Will saves), 12 hr
    Heart of Water (breathe water, swift action: freedom of movement), from eternal wand, 5 hr
    Heroism (+2 morale on attacks, saves, skills), from eternal wand, 50 min
    Blindfold: Blindsight 30' but blind

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

As you all look around for the hidden door, Klaudis is the one who stumbles upon, placing a palm on the rocks to search, you suddenly all hear an audible *click*, whereupon a rod rises from the ground, a flickering emerald light pulses from within its crystalline surface, bathing everyone, and within a heartbeat, you another *click*.

Your body is sucked into the rod in an instant, a swirling vortex of energy, souls and material bodies in an immaterial maelstrom of ideas, thoughts, beliefs and dreams.

Suddenly, just as quickly as it happened, you are expelled, your body is shunted into the materium of a closed room, the walls a dark shade of jade.

A *pop* emanates from the rocks to the left, the Golem turns its head and squints, looking at the pile of rocks that had stood there for as long as the Golem could remember.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Dross

Dross shivers as he is reconsistuted inside the room, shaking off the feeling that, for a split second, he might have been a pointy-eared dwarfbirdman. He checks himself to make sure he is properly scaled before his attention snaps to the complete absence of anything but them in the room.

"Libraries have books, they do. Piles of scrolls. Shelves, too. Statues, perhaps." Dross wastes no time testing the boundaries of their new space as he continues, ping-ponging around the room. "And wrinkled old hags that shhhhhhhhhhhh all the time. It's rude to shhhhhhh at someone when he's talking, it is. Did we find the wrong secret door? I knew we should have fought the golem, I did!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Trexiat

Putting his left foot down, Trexiat tries to diverge the temple of it's truths, cooing it softly with the language of truespeech.

Show
    Lore of the World is basically Stone Tell(with a CL equal to HD), except I can affect any inanimate object, essentially. Trexiat chooses to affect the floor. First he compliments the floor's lustrous shine, and that he really likes it. He then asks what the room's purpose is, if there are any traps in the room, how to get out of the room, if there are any hidden doors in the room, if there are any other creatures other than himself and his compatriots in the room, and if the floor in single .

Oh, and I get to ask for the location of anything within a mile. Trexiat asks for the location of the third piece of Occulus Incarnum.

Law of Resistance:
    Lore of the World: +2 DC
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2018-08-29 at 04:15 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Trexiat
    Show

You sense a slow, dormant surprise rising, ever so slowly, like the crest of a wave far out to sea.

It takes a moment, but it finally crashes, and subsides, a tone of trepidation rings the following answers:

My PURPOSE is to be a floor, but sometimes....NOT. You ask tooooo........FAST. Slow......DOWN. YES. You will be. There......ARE NO DOORS in the Library. *you feel slow amusement* OF COURSE.....not. OF COURSE.

The last question makes the floor ponder for a moment, and you get the sensation of a wizened old god thinking how to speak to a human for the first time in a long time. Eventually, you don't hear a response, but feel it. It pulses in a direction. directly to your right. (Your mind skips a beat, as if you hadn't been moved into this room, and you were still standing, hiding behind the rocks, the direction would be pointing towards the golem. But minds are a funny thing.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Dross

Dross twists through the air on his circuit around the round, tracing arcane gestures into his aerial performance just before his eyes glow, revealing the room's magical auras to his sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Magic
    Take 10 on Spellcraft to identify magical auras in the room: 36

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Derrk

Derrk is not pleased by the abrupt relocation. He glances about, his vision enhanced by his mask, peeling away any and all illusions. He opens his mouth, speaking in a confident and authoritative voice.

"Be quick. I don't desire to linger here very long. Just tell me when you pick a fight you can't handle."

He doesn't move from where he had appeared, preferring to watch dispassionately.

Show
    Pretty passive spot, will probably only notice things hidden solely by illusion. Roll: (1d20+1)[14]
    Last edited by Xanyo; 2018-08-29 at 05:26 PM.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Kork is surprised to find the group seemingly trapped in a featureless room. "I hate to admit it but Dross has a point. I'd rather die fighting than suffocating. But maybe there's another teleport thing."

16. - Top - End - #16

AssassinGuy

Herald is not fazed by the strange translocation as he experienced a lot back in the past. He hovers slightly above the ground, bow in hand, constantly renewing his defenses as it runs out (Minor Shapeshift) and mutters a spell that enshrouds his being (Fortunate Fate - 3 hr 20 min) as he waits for the others to decipher the nature of the room.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2018-08-30 at 04:50 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Trexiat

"Ok ok ok" Trexiat says "One at a time. What are you, when you're not a floor?"

Show
    Law of Resistance:
    Lore of the World: +2 DC
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: spellcraft check
    Show

You see 3 overwhelming aura's

First one is a modified version of Sanctum Halasters Teleport Cage, permanent, and Heightened.
    Second is a Sanctum Heightened, permanent Wall of Force
    Third is a Sanctum Heightened, permanent Symbol of Insanity

The stone does not answer Trexiat any further
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Dross

"Stuck!" He yaps excitedly. "Stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck! No hopping outside, no slipping between there is. Magical hopping is dangerous here, yes. No telling where you'd end up, or in what. Maybe who?"

"And on the walls," he motions to a part of the room, then yells at any who looks at any of the room's surfaces. "Don't look! They'll make you mad, they will."

"Too late for him, yes it is." Dross shakes his head at the one talking to the floor.

With another dance, Dross casts a spell on himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Conviction: +3 morale boost to saving throws
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2018-09-04 at 12:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

AssassinGuy

Herald holds up a hand.

"Slow down. I know that you are worry about us triggering a trap by accident but let us keep a calm head as we deal with the obstacles presented. So we know the walls and the rooms are enchanted and are set to activate by certain spells and actions. Are there anything else you detected?"
    Last edited by Yas392; 2018-09-06 at 04:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Having received an unsatisfactory response, Trexiat begins an inquisition on Dross.

"Shut up you daft kobold! What is so bad about this room?"
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Dross

At Trexiat's outburst, Dross does indeed go quiet before beginning a performance of a man trapped inside an invisible box.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Dross

Dross notices the confused look on Herald's face. Dross's mouth twists as he glances to Trexiat, then back to Herald, then back to Trexiat, then detouring to Kork before going back to Trexiat and finally settling on Herald.

"There're walls of force, there are!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

As you all ruminate at how to break through the stone, something appears before you, and a cloud of scintillating fog roils over you.

Spoiler
    Show

Each make 2 Ref saves vs breath attack DC 34 or suffer Damage - (11d8)[56] and 11 essentia drain or Wisdom if you do not have essentia, for 1 hour.
    Succesful save halves the essentia/wisdom drain

Also make 2 Will saves vs Dragons Frightful Presence DC 37 else be shaken for (4d6)[14] rounds

I'll get a map up, but they're 2 Gargantuan dragons, 40ft in front of you.
    Oh, everything suffers -4 caster/initiator/etc level
    Meldshapers receive a +4 bonus to meldshaping (effects your ability to invest as well)

Also, roll init.
    Init Monsters - (1d20+2)[13]

Map
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2018-09-13 at 11:10 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Trexiat, having sustained the massive drain on his abilities, freezes up and becomes an object.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

The sharply dressed Derrk isn't exactly the fastest, and he doesn't get out of the way of the twin dragon breath quite in time. When the incarnum recedes he is left on the ground, his semi-draconic familiar on his chest.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The wisdom drain proves too much for Kork (to anyones' surprise?), and he collapses to the floor.

28. - Top - End - #28

AssassinGuy

With his rationality robbed by the fog, Herald collapses onto the floor.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2018-09-12 at 09:57 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Dross

The dragon's desire to explore the space of their new confines pays off as he finds himself a fair ways away from his more sedentary companions when the breath weapons hit. The extra space gives him time to react where others fall, using his metalic wings to deflect the brunt of one before diving for cover behind Kork for the other, possibly hindering the poor dwarf's own efforts in the process.

"I told you all, I did! Librarians are very rude, they are!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Dross

Despite their lack of manners, if these dragons are librarians (and they're in a library, so what else could they be?) they might be able to help them. After all, that's what librarians are supposed to do.

"We're sorry for making noises, we are," Dross addresses the massive creatures while darting to and fro, making sure one of the dragons is always between him and the other, "and I know how much this library means to you, I do! It has many rare and valuable... walls... it does! We are here to help protect it. It's true! Protect all libraries everywhere, we are! There is something here we need, there is. If we find it, your walls will all be safe. If we don't, then they won't. No more library. All gone! Will you helps us, will you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Hurried Diplomacy check (-10 modifier included)
    (1d20+21)[31]