New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Minos: Dark Times [IC]

Round 9

Arbalest frowns slightly as he nods. "Well then, have fun in the mines..." He watches Cilene throw the rock, then shakes his head as if clearing his sight of some odd spectacle. Then he raises one finger in the air and points it at you.

"Hey mates, before you go, I don't suppose you could spare a few coins?"

At his gesture everyone hears rustling in the woods, loud and clear. Multiple men step in to view, drawing weapons as they go.

Arbalest looks everyone over with a smug grin on his face. "I don't imagine you worthless mine rats have much of value, but we'll take what you've got."

Spoiler
    Show

(Sorry, I didn't have much time to make the map. but I didn't figure you guys would want to wait all night.)

The bandits are red, marked with M for mele, B for bows, or A for Arbalest. Good guys are blue, marked with their first initial. Each hexagon is about 5'. If you choose to attack, explain who you're going for, make sure it's within your movement radius/weapon range, then use a spoiler to roll your initiative, attack and damage.

Last edited by Berand; 2007-09-26 at 01:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Torkai

Torkai whirls to confront Arbalest with a curse drawing two of his daggers and launching an attack!

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, going to be several rolls in here:
    Initiative - (1d20+4)[6]
    If my initiative is lower, going to feint before attacking to put him off balance using improved feint to substitute it for a move action. That way hopefully he will not have his dex bonus one way or the other so I can hit easier and get sneak attack damage.
    Bluff for Feint - (1d20+8)[14]

To hit primary - (1d20+7)[8]
    Damage primary - (1d4+4)[8]
    (If initiative or feint wins)
    Sneak Attack damage primary - (1d6)[4]

To hit secondary - (1d20+7)[26]
    Damage secondary - (1d4+4)[6]
    (If initiative or feint wins)
    Sneak attack damage secondary - (1d6)[5]

OOC: Looks like I critted my second attack (19-20/x2 crit for daggers), so I'll have to make another post to roll my critical attack (see if my critical hit lands) and then damage for if it does to be added
    Last edited by Sirrion; 2007-09-25 at 03:14 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Durgrin

"Damnt, I knew it! Last dam' time I let a human get all cozy in mah way!" Reacting in the heat of battle like a trained soldier, Durgrin raises his warhammer and begins charging towards his foes. Anyone who can see his face knows he's enjoying this a bit too much.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, assuming I'm not invoking AoO by passing foes who went before me, I'll be charging to the bow bandit on my right (lower left square of him so I'm not taking an AoO from the melee). If they move before me and it's a bad choice, I'll just smack something closer.

Initiative = (1d20+6)[13]
    Attack = (1d20+9)[15] with +2 charge bonus, but -2 AC until next turn (so 18)
    Damage = (1d8+4)[8]
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

4. - Top - End - #64

SwashbucklerGuy

Torkai

Spoiler
    Show
    To see if my critical hits: (1d20+7)[20]
    If it does, additional damage: (1d4+4)[6]

5. - Top - End - #65

HalflingRogueGuy

Coignar

Coignar curses to himself and takes aim at the combatant directly in front of him, firing his crossbow.

Spoiler
    Show

Aiming Light Crossbow of Seeking at Melee guy 25 ft. in front of me (assuming we're travelling "up" on the map).

Initiative: (1d20+7)[27]
    Attack roll: (1d20+5)[11]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[5]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Minos: Dark Times [IC]

Spoiler
    Show
    Sirrion, did you add your strength bonus to those damage rolls, or am I just blind? -- turns out I'm blind. OK. Berand - that map is made of hexagons, not octagons.

Cilene

I'll be damned - I was right! They are out to get me!

Taking a quick inventory of the sudden foes surrounding them, Cilene does the smart thing. She starts running west(ish) - towards the bowman. A faint smile of bloodlust playing across her lips as she grips her odd mace tighter.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, things of importance.

1st: Initiative: (1d20+3)[15]

2nd: She is charging at the bowman to the west/nw - and pushing power into her mace as she runs. (2pts)

3rd: Attacking on a charge (-2ac until next round, +2 hit roll) : (1d20+9)[28]
    If it hits, damage: (3d6+2)[16]

(I so should have made a called shot to the head)
    Last edited by Ilhares; 2007-09-25 at 04:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

Kellin

Frowning, he looks genuinely unhappy at Arbalest. Lifting his hand, he stares intently at the man while uttering the words for a spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright...
    Initiative: (d20+1)[10]
    Casting Scorching Ray: Ranged Touch Attack: (d20+3)[19]
    Concentration check just in case I need it: (d20+6)[26]
    If Successful - Damage:(4d6)[12] of fiery damage at point blank range!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Round 10

Torkai & Kellin

Arbalest drops his dagger and whips his longsword out, leaving his shield on the ground where it was to begin with. Before either of you can react, he lunges for Torkai! His blow connects with Torkai's shoulder, drawing some blood, but being deflected by his armor before doing any major damage.

Torkai looks unphased, and immediately feints to his right. Arbalest takes the bait, shifting his weight to protect that side, just as Torkai dodges back left and lashes out with both his daggers. Arbalest is completely flat-footed. The first one leads the way, catching harmlessly on Arbalest's leather armor. The second one finds an opening however, burying itself to the hilt in his gut. Blood gushes - you can tell it was a major blow. In Arbalest's shock he freezes in place, failing to defend himself. Torkai siezes upon the opportunity, giving the dagger an extra twist.

Arbalest's mouth opens wide in shock, as he falls to his knees. A second later he drops his sword and topples over.

Torkai
    Spoiler
    Show

-2 hp

Kellin, seeing Torkai make short work of the foe before them both quickly spins around, seeking a new target for the spell he's preparing. He spots the soldier behind him charging from across the road, and proceeds to unleash a ray of fire from his fingertips. They strike the man squarely in the chest, leaving terrible scorch marks on his armor. While he appears heavily staggered from the blow, he continues his charge in a rage.

Drugrin

You lower your helmet and take off at a rumbling charge toward the nearest archer. He tries to react by unleashing an arrow, but he's taken completely off-guard by the sudden move. Your warhammer smashes in to his side, crunching ribs. The bowman remains on his feet, throws his bow to the ground and whips out a shortsword at his belt. He immediately goes on the defensive, watching for your next move.

The other bandit near by charges in as well, swinging at you with his longsword. He lands a minor blow on your side, drawing a bit of blood and pissing you off.

Drugrin
    Spoiler
    Show

-5 hps

Coignar

Seeing combat begin, you immediately whip up your crossbow and fire a shot at the bandit in front of you. The bolt flies true, thunking in to the mans shoulder. Your shot draws some unwanted attention, however. No one likes archers.

The bandit you shot and the one next to him both charge at you, weapons drawn! You quickly dodge out of the way of the swing from the guy with your bolt sticking out of him, but the second one lands a very heavy blow on your side, leaving you gasping and bleeding.

Coignar
    Spoiler
    Show

-8 hp

Cilene

You spin on your heel and charge at the archer on the far side of the road, mace in hand. He reacts immediately, unleashing an arrow at you which sails wide, plinking in to the dirt just to one side. Before his eyes even have a chance to get wide in surprise, your mace comes down on the top of his head. You hear a crunch followed by a splatter, as brain matter is sent flying in to the near-by leaves. He crumples like an empty sack of potatoes. That was pretty satisfying.

New Combat Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Durgrin

"Ha ha, that all ya got!" Whirling his warhammer for another blow, Durgrin gives the bowman a necessary lesson in pain.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative roll: (1d20+6)[25]
    Attack roll: (1d20+7)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[9]

ooc: back to AC 20
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

10. - Top - End - #70

SwashbucklerGuy

Torkai
    Pulling his dagger out of Arbalest, Torkia spins to confront the man rushing him from the south attacking with both daggers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Depending on if he moves first or if I do, I will approach him to attack or attack after he gets to me. If he does go first, I will make another feint to see if I can suprise him.

Initiative = (1d20+4)[19]
    Feint (Bluff)= (1d20+8)[10]

Primary Attack = (1d20+7)[20]
    Primary Damage = (1d4+4)[6]
    Primary Sneak = (1d6)[2]

Secondary Attack = (1d20+7)[8]
    Secondary Damage = (1d4+4)[7]
    Secondary Sneak = (1d6)[2]

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cilene

Making a note of where the bowman has fallen ("I'll be back for you when I'm done!"), Cilene spins around and sees Coignar being threatened by two more bandits. Being in a sporting mood, she shouts a warning as she runs, "You're next, pal!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Much like last round, she'll give the mace one more enhancement. (2pts)
    The attack charge is aimed at the nearer of the two threatening Coignar, they're just not positioned right for me to threaten them both. (retaining my AC penalty for 1 more round)

Initiative (1d20+3)[5]
    Attack! (1d20+9)[10]
    -Damage (3d6+2)[16]

12. - Top - End - #72

Kellin

Narrowing his eyes at his foe, Kellin prepares to continue his flaming assault on the charging bandit. Furrowing his brow, he again lifts his hands and follows through with a blazing torrent of fire and brimstone!

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (d20+1)[12]
    Concentration if needed:(d20+6)[8]
    Scorching Ray: Rn (d20+3)[17]
    Damage: (4d6)[16]

If he doesn't die, what are the chances I'd be able to intimidate him into submission?
    Intimidate:(d20+6)[17]

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh.. balls.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OKAY, that's a natural 1 attack roll. I dont know about 3.5e, but I've got a fumble chart for 3e, so here's my fumble roll: (1d20)[11]

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry for the excess, things keep demanding die rolls.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Per the chart I've got, that 11 is a "Weapon Stuck". While I've got no idea how my mace got stuck, I have to either use an alternate weapon, or a strength check (DC 10) to free the mace. So.. (1d20+1)[18]

If that fails, I'll just have to make up my mind on the next turn.
    -edit-
    Ah, crap! The chart says to add the BAB to the fumble roll, too. With that in mind, the fumble roll would be a 14 - which is "Fumble Weapon - If appropriate roll damage against weapon."

Light mace, the crystal has 30hp per inch of thickness and a hardness of 10. It's in your hands, Berand.
    Last edited by Ilhares; 2007-09-26 at 11:18 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75

HalflingRogueGuy

Coignar

Coignar grimaces in pain as he takes a few well placed shots from his opponents. He quickly tosses his crossbow off to the side and draws his short sword, and goes in for an attack.

Spoiler
    Show

Targetting the person I previously shot with the crossbow... like it matters.

Initiative: (1d20+7)[24]
    To hit: (1d20+2)[20]
    Damage: (1d6)[1]
    Last edited by tehsnarf; 2007-09-26 at 12:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Round 11

Drugrin

You let out a grunt and smack the bowman with your warhammer again, square in the chest. Your blow sends him flying backwards a few feet, where he crumples in a heap.

The remaining bandit takes another swing at you, clearly dismayed at watching his companion felled so quickly. His blow doesn't have much heart in it, and you deflect it effortlessly off your shield. You sure did quick work on his cocky attitude!

Torkai

You rip your bloody dagger out of Arbalest's chest, sending a gout of it flying in a neat arc as you spin to confront the bandit coming from behind. Moving much faster then your foe, you swipe a deep gash across his chest, stopping him in his tracks as he tries to avoid the worst of the damage. He sucks his gut in as he stops, causing your swipe with your second dagger to miss him by a millimeter.

Off-balance from his dodge of your second dagger, he swings clumsily at your head with his longsword, which you easily duck.

Kellin

Feeling slightly annoyed that your first blast of flame didn't kill this guy in his tracks, you again spread your fingers and send flames rolling toward him. You engulf his head in flames, and after a briefest of gurgling screams, he falls to the ground, the smell of charred flesh filling the air. You think to yourself, Boy, I love the smell of mage fire in the morning. This is followed suddenly by the feeling that you are guilty of nearly uttering a terrible cliche. You sure hope no one is reading your thoughts right now. You blush slightly.

Cilene

Brain goo from your first opponent runs down the haft of your mace. Your normal response would be a loud "Ick", but in the frenzy of battle you don't notice. You spin about, and seeing Coignar in trouble begin to charge. Unfortunately the aforementioned brain goo makes your mace slick in your hands, and it goes flying to the ground at your feet before you can whack the guy. The thought that goes through your head at this turn of events wouldn't make it past the forums profanity filters.

Unfortunately for you, the bandit with the bolt sticking out of his shoulder thinks the empty-handed girl is way too tempting of a target. He gives you a leering sneer then swings his sword at you, nicking your shoulder.

Cilene
    Spoiler
    Show

-3 hps

If you want to pick up your weapon next turn, the nearest bandit will get an attack of opportunity in addition to rolling for his next turn.

Coignar

You throw your crossbow down and whip your dagger out of its sheath, sticking it to the same bandit you just shot. You manage to score a small nick on him.

The bandit that didn't turn to confront Cilene takes another swing at you, missing almost comically as his sword whiffs through the air above your head.

Updated Combat Map
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Durgrin

Laughing defiantly in the face of his foe's deflected blow, Durgrin raises his mace almost ceremonially and lowers it down upon his foe. "May Reorx grant you understanding through PAIN!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative= (1d20+6)[23]
    Attack roll = (1d20+7)[8]
    Damage roll = (1d8+4)[10]

ooc: Don't forget to update your sheets guys, Current HP field near the top right.
    PbP Game List:

18. - Top - End - #78

SwashbucklerGuy

Torkai

Making a quick feint, Torkai presses his attack on the bandit with both daggers!

Spoiler
    Show
    Feint (bluff check): (1d20+8)[9]

Primary Attack: (1d20+7)[22]
    Primary Damage: (1d4+4)[6]
    Primary Sneak (if feint suceeds): (1d6)[2]

Secondary Attack: (1d20+7)[14]
    Secondary Damage: (1d4+4)[6]
    Secondary Sneak (if feint suceeds): (1d6)[2]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cilene

@#!$%

Knowing that she's left herself wide open no matter what she does, (and berating herself), Cilene's left hand forms into a fist as she ducks low to pick up her mace and resume the offensive. I could.. no, no. Not yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The plan is as follows. The new round begun, AC returns to normal (17). Thanks to TWF, the mace and her hand are both light weapons, giving me a -2/-2 to smack someone around.

First- since she already had to drop for the mace, swing the fist (taking into account the -4 for called shot)

Aiming for the 'sack': (1d20-2)[-1] / if it connects, (1d3+1)[3] damage.

On the upward portion of the movement, go for a straight body hit with the mace: (1d20+5)[16] to hit. If it lands, [3d6+2] for damage.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sigh.

(3d6+2)[10] for that mace hit. I wonder what I typed wrong.

21. - Top - End - #81

Kellin

Letting the lingering enjoyment of incineration quickly fade, Kellin turns to assess his surroundings. Rushing to the foe who Torkai is attacking, he lifts his hands to expel a final, blazing furnace towards the bandit's face, taking care to avoid hitting his companion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (d20+1)[21]
    Concentration: (d20+6)[16]
    Scorching Ray: Ranged Touch: (d20+3)[13]
    Damage of Flaming Doom: (4d6)[17]

22. - Top - End - #82

HalflingRogueGuy

Coignar

"Woman, I thought they taught you how to keep ahold of your weapon!" Snickering to himself, Coignar immediately regrets it as his wounded ribs shoot searing pains throughout his midsection. Assuming his female companion has Bolt Man under control, he quickly switches targets and attempts to bring about some revenge...

Spoiler
    Show

NE guy of me...

Initiative: (1d20+7)[10]
    To Hit: (1d20+2)[12]
    Damage: (1d8)[8]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Round 12

Durgrin

Your powerful swing comes down toward the bandit, who deftly side-steps behind a tree. You take a hefty chunk out of the side of the tree, but do no damage to the bandit.

He tries to reach around the other side of the tree and swing at you, but manages nothing more then a blow that glances harmlessly off your armor.

Torkai

You attempt to fool the bandit with a quick feint to one side, but he moves faster then you this time, and is clearly unsurprised by your direction of attack. He moves in confidently to block your attack, so you abandon his body and instead your first dagger takes him straight through the forearm. You twist that dagger brutally, driving his arm high and to the side, leaving his gut wide open for your second dagger. You drive it home swiftly, and the bandit gurgles blood as he falls forward on to you.

You yank your daggers out, and he crumples unceremoniously to the dirt.

Cilene

Still cursing your luck, you swiftly duck down to pick up your weapon. As you move the bandit seizes the opportunity to stab down at you with his sword, slicing in to your shoulder. You feel blood flow down your torso under your armor.

Attempting to distract him from further blows on you, you bring your fist up toward his groin. Unfortunately your shot glances off his thigh and you manage only a little brushing of your intended target, which the bandit might have even enjoyed. That is, if you hadn't immediately wrapped your fingers around the haft of your mace and swiftly brought it up in a vicious blow under his chin. His head snaps back in a way that you're sure isn't healthy, and he collapses to the ground.

Cilene
    Spoiler
    Show

-5 hps

Coignar

You take a stab at the bandit to your right, but a quick parry from him sends your dagger glancing harmlessly off his armor.

Kellin

You curse quietly under your breath, as Torkai again dispatches your intended target. Turning about, you take in the battlefield and realize most of the bandits are already dead. You rush a few steps toward Coignar and unleash your flames for a third time, now aimed for the bandit currently taking a slice at that thief you picked up in the bar.

With your magic fingers already well warmed-up from the first two castings, you unleash a particularly brutal blast this time. It engulfs your target completely, leaving charred remains to topple over in the breeze.

Coignar throws you an exasperated look while he pats at his smoldering eyebrows. Good thing you didn't miss that bandit! You're on fire baby.

Updated Combat Map
    Spoiler
    Show

No new map needed. The only bandit still standing is the one next to Drugrin.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cilene
    Spoiler
    Show
    OK, blast it, I hadn't wanted to, but I'll burn 1 more point today to reduce that damage I got smacked with by 4 (yay for racial bonus)

Wincing away from the initial burst of flame, Cilene looks around to assess the field. Seeing that the dwarf is busy playing hide & seek with his little bandit, she shouts out, "Hey, you useless sod, how about you just up and surrender now?"

Whispering to Coignar, "When he steps out, put an arrow in him."

She will then commence searching the remains near her and Coignar (unless he gets in her way), and intends to make her way back to the first guy that dropped. She did say she would.

Combined, this group should have enough valuables to compensate me for my time - and I'm tired of having to get my armor repaired.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just in case you want it for the call to surrender, take your pick of Bluff or Diplomacy, it's all the same for me.
    (1d20-2)[13]
    Last edited by Ilhares; 2007-09-26 at 04:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

HalflingRogueGuy

Coignar

Coignar quickly retrieves his light crossbow, reloads and yells to Durgrin "Pull up your socks, stumpy!"

Spoiler
    Show

Yep, I am firing in to combat. Without hesitation.

Initiative: (1d20+7)[20]
    To Hit: (1d20+1)[21] (+5BaB, -4 in to combat, because I don't think seeking works firing in to combat...)
    Damage: (1d8+1)[5]

26. - Top - End - #86

HalflingRogueGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Double confirm: (1d20+1)[5]
    If yes, additional damage: (1d8+1)[2]

If not, I'll be sad.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Durgrin

"It's just a matta a time!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+6)[10]
    Attack (1d20+7)[19]
    Damage (1d8+4)[12]
    PbP Game List:

28. - Top - End - #88

Kellin

Smiling to himself, Kellin glances towards the dwarf, content that he can handle himself, and proceeds to Arbalest's body. Intent on finding out what this dude's problem was, he begins searching his body to shed light on his morbid motives.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search:(d20+1)[19]

Also, he glances again into the woodline, looking for anything at all out of the ordinary.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot:(d20)[11]
    Listen:(d20)[3]

29. - Top - End - #89

SwashbucklerGuy

Torkai

Torkai readies himself again, looking for another opponent before noticing that none are left in reach. Reaching down, Torkai wipes his blades off on the dead man's clothes all while keeping his eyes on the last bandit, readying a now clean dagger to throw in case the need arises. "Come on, end it already." he says towards the dwarf, not necessarily to anyone in particular.

Once combat is finished, Torkai starts searching the dead man in front of him to see if there is anything worth taking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search roll: (1d20+7)[16]
    Last edited by Sirrion; 2007-09-26 at 05:20 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Round 13

The one remaining bandit begins to panic. Suddenly the bolt from Coignar lodges itself in his side, and he turns with a hoarse scream and tries to run. A split second later Drugrin's hammer comes down on his skull. The bandit drops like a rock.

As the adrenalin cools off, everyone starts cleaning weapons and milling about.

Kellin

As you push Arbalest over on to his back to search him you realize that he's still got a bit of life in him, though he is rapidly bleeding to death. He's unconscious, and you figure he'll be dead completely any time now, if he doesn't get help.

Rewards
    Spoiler
    Show

Experience: There were 7 level 2 fighters and 1 level 3 fighter. That's 5000 total exp divided by five of you. For those of you disinclined to math, everyone gets 1000 exp. :)

Most of the bandits have purses with coins in them. Arbalest however, has two gem stones in addition to some coins. Total: 400 gold, 900 copper, 2 gems. Evenly distributed, everyone gets 80 gold and 180 copper. The two gems go to the party, and you can have them appraised in a city if you want. Since Kellin was the first to Arbalest, put them in his inventory for now.

Furthermore, there's a 10% chance each bandit had a minor magic item on him! A roll of 91-100 means one was found. I'll post again with details if you guys get one. Without further ado, here are the rolls:

(1d100)[82]
    (1d100)[52]
    (1d100)[84]
    (1d100)[69]
    (1d100)[36]
    (1d100)[71]
    (1d100)[22]
    (1d100)[65]

Last edited by Berand; 2007-09-26 at 05:43 PM.