New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Would darkness dispel faerie fire?

The darkness spell says it dispels any light producing spell in it's area of effect if the come from a spell of level 2 or lower. Does that mean that faerie fire would be dispelled by it since it? Also, since it says the spell that created the light will be dispelled, would that mean it cancels faerie fire on everyone affect by that same casting?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Would darkness dispel faerie fire?

To the first part of the question I would rule yes. The effect is light, it is light from a first level spell, darkness should dispel it.

The second part, dispel on all targets or one is less clear, but I’d direct you to a sage advice on dispel magic. Yes I know sage advice is not the letter of the law, and dispel magic is not darkness, however:

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/10/09...-the-creature/

EDIT: the relevant reply is right at the end

This would be decent evidence that it would only dispel Faerie Fire on the target in the AoE of the darkness spell.

For what it’s worth this seems the most logical and reasonable way to rule it.
    Last edited by Spiritchaser; 2018-11-15 at 05:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I know dispel only works the effects on a person if you are targeting a character, but dispel magic has a very different wording than darkness has. I'm wondering if they were thinking about dancing lights with the description - taking out one would take out all of them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Faerie Fire's main effect isn't producing light, it's inflicting the debuff that causes attackers to strike with advantage. The light is just a side effect.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It may be a side effect but it is still a light producing spell and thus darkness will snuff it out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trustypeaches View Post
    Faerie Fire's main effect isn't producing light, it's inflicting the debuff that causes attackers to strike with advantage. The light is just a side effect.
    Right, but Darkness explicitly says that if it covers light from a 2nd level spell or lower, the light and spell end.

This isn't a case of Faerie Fire creating light that makes the target easier to hit. This is a case of Darkness stating that it dispels spells that make light. Faerie Fire does, in fact, make light, so Darkness apparently dispels it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Faerie fire clings to characters after the initial burst. However if a person under the effect of faerie fire is within Darkness's area of effect its effectively negated and dispelled.
    Last edited by Callak_Remier; 2018-11-15 at 06:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Full Relevant Quote from Darkness:
    [...] If any of this spell's area overlaps with an area of light created by a spell of 2nd level or lower, the spell that created the light is dispelled.

Full Relevant Quote from Faerie Fire:
    Each object in a 20-foot cube within range is outlined in blue, green, or violet light (your choice). Any creature in the area when the spell is cast is also outlined in light if the area when the spell is cast is also outlined in light if it fails a Dexterity saving throw. For the duration, objects and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot radius [...]

So, the way that reads is that if a magical light glow even TOUCHES the light shedding from a spell's light source, the light source spell is dispelled. With the way Dispel Magic works (where it can only dispel magic on a single source, not the entire spell), I'd say that Darkness can only dispel spells from light sources it's "touching".

So if you hit 4 things with Faerie Fire, Darkness touches the 10 foot radius of 3 of those things, it will dispel the Faerie Fire of 3 of them and 1 will remain under the effect of Faerie Fire.

It might seem a bit dumb, as most might require Darkness to surround the source before it's dispelled, but that's the RAW.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2018-11-15 at 06:50 PM.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

You could cast Faerie Fire with a 3rd level slot. BAM. Immune to being dispelled by Darkness and since it's magical light, it would illuminate the darkness.

Alternatively just carry around a 3rd level Continual Flame and it will always illuminate a Darkness spell.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    You could cast Faerie Fire with a 3rd level slot. BAM. Immune to being dispelled by Darkness and since it's magical light, it would illuminate the darkness.

Alternatively just carry around a 3rd level Continual Flame and it will always illuminate a Darkness spell.
    I love that use of Continual Flame, btw. Great idea.

5th Edition Homebrewery

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I thought the rule on light/darkness spells was that it is the minimum spell slot was the one that is relevant, not the actual one used.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    I thought the rule on light/darkness spells was that it is the minimum spell slot was the one that is relevant, not the actual one used.
    Why are you under that impression? Under general rules of spells, a spell is considered to become the level of the slot used to cast it.

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Full Relevant Quote from Darkness:

Full Relevant Quote from Faerie Fire:

So, the way that reads is that if a magical light glow even TOUCHES the light shedding from a spell's light source, the light source spell is dispelled. With the way Dispel Magic works (where it can only dispel magic on a single source, not the entire spell), I'd say that Darkness can only dispel spells from light sources it's "touching".

So if you hit 4 things with Faerie Fire, Darkness touches the 10 foot radius of 3 of those things, it will dispel the Faerie Fire of 3 of them and 1 will remain under the effect of Faerie Fire.

It might seem a bit dumb, as most might require Darkness to surround the source before it's dispelled, but that's the RAW.
    So by this logic, Darkness would also dispel Create Bonfire, Flaming Sphere, or any of the Fire spells that also generate light?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

So by this logic, Darkness would also dispel Create Bonfire, Flaming Sphere, or any of the Fire spells that also generate light?
    I'm not a fan of the wording for sure. A chaotic evil RAW lawyer could make the case. I just like to hope that DMs make rational calls in such cases.

That said, I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that Faerie Fire is primarily a light-producing spell and it should apply. It might be special light that has extra benefits but it's still benefits because it's lighting up the enemy. the light is not just an incidental side effect as it is with Create Bonfire.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2018-11-15 at 08:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Why are you under that impression? Under general rules of spells, a spell is considered to become the level of the slot used to cast it.
    This is why:

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...t-interactions

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/...12732528873472

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Not dispel just supress. As long as nobody can see the fearie fire no advantage is gained and Darkness impossed disadvantage as normal. Someone with devilsight on the other hand would see the fearie fire which still exists inside the Darkness.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

This is why:
    What the tweets are saying is that when cast using a higher-level spell slot, the spell is treated as if it was that level for any purpose such as Dispel Magic or Counterspell, but the spell only gains additional benefits from being higher-level if the spell includes an "At Higher Levels" entry. Thus, a Darkness cast at 4th level is a 4th-level spell, but its effects are equivalent to that of a 2nd-level Darkness. As such, it can only dispel 2nd-level or lower lights, but to dispel it with light you need a spell that can dispel 4th-level or lower darkness.
    Last edited by Lille; 2018-11-15 at 11:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Would Color Spray also fall under this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    Not dispel just supress. As long as nobody can see the fearie fire no advantage is gained and Darkness impossed disadvantage as normal. Someone with devilsight on the other hand would see the fearie fire which still exists inside the Darkness.
    No. It specifically says dispel. Not suppress.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

No. It specifically says dispel. Not suppress.
    I suppose you're right. I didn't check the spell before answearing, but it does dispel light effects of a lower spell level. And Faerie Fiere is clearly a Light Effect.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

I asked my group and my DM about this over Discord, and they brought up the point that the spell says "If any of this spell’s area overlaps with an area of light created by a spell of 2nd level or lower, the spell that created the light is dispelled."

So really, the question lies in what is considered to be an "area" of light. Does Color Spray's momentary cone of light count? Do the outlines produced by Faerie Fire count? Does the light created by a bonfire from the Create Bonfire spell count as being made by the Create Bonfire spell or the bonfire itself?

Personally, I'd say that if the light created by a spell is magical and covers an area, it counts. Of course, that doesn't really answer/clarify much...
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2018-11-16 at 01:02 AM.
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    "No" means "yes".
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

If you rule that it dispels Faerie Fire, it should end the spell. Since that's what it says. So if it touches any of the 10ft raidus of any creature, it would end for all of them and the caster would get their concentration back (so to speak), since the spell has ended.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    If you rule that it dispels Faerie Fire, it should end the spell. Since that's what it says. So if it touches any of the 10ft raidus of any creature, it would end for all of them and the caster would get their concentration back (so to speak), since the spell has ended.
    I doubt that it'd end for all of them. From the Sage Advice Compendium (http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/do...mpendium.pdf):
    If dispel magic targets the magical effect from bless cast by a cleric, does it remove the effect on all the targets?
    Dispel magic ends a spell on one target. It doesn’t end the same spell on other targets.
    I think Darkness's dispelling effect would work in a similar way, no?
    "No" means "yes".

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The language of the Spell is pretty clear:

If any of this spell’s area overlaps with an area of light
    created by a spell of 2nd level or lower, the spell that
    created the light is dispelled.
    This really leaves no room for interpretation. If a spell (2nd level or lower) creates light (i.e. a light-source and a sphere of illumination around the source) and that sphere of light intersects with a sphere of darkness, created by the Darkness spell, then the spell that created that light is dispelled.

Whether or not the DM overrules that for balancing reasons is of course another question, but the wording of the spell leaves no room for interpretation as to what exactly is dispelled. Otherwise it would say something like "the spell-effect that creates the light is dispelled".
    Last edited by jdolch; 2018-11-16 at 08:45 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Saying "it leaves no room for interpretation", in a thread which is all about how to interpret is, seems a bit dubious.

I'd rule that Darkness dispels those instances of FF that it touches, but not those that it doesn't.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    I doubt that it'd end for all of them. From the Sage Advice Compendium (http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/do...mpendium.pdf):

I think Darkness's dispelling effect would work in a similar way, no?
    No. But only because I think The Sage made the wrong call about Dispel Magic.

27. - Top - End - #27

There is an important distinction with Dispel Magic vs. Darkness's description.

Dispel Magic says "Choose one creature, object, or magical effect within range. Any spell of 3rd level or lower on the target ends." Darkness says "the spell that created the light is dispelled".

They're very different. While it doesn't make much sense with Darkness dispelling all aspects of a light spell, that's the most accurate way of interpreting its description.

It's still dumb. A simple houserule will fix it.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2018-11-16 at 02:10 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

There is an important distinction with Dispel Magic vs. Darkness's description.

Dispel Magic says "Choose one creature, object, or magical effect within range. Any spell of 3rd level or lower on the target ends." Darkness says "the spell that created the light is dispelled".

They're very different. While it doesn't make much sense with Darkness dispelling all aspects of a light spell, that's the most accurate way of interpreting its description.

It's still dumb. A simple houserule will fix it.
    Isn't Dispel Magic what we refer (back) to when something is dispelled? Are the mechanics of dispelling defined anywhere else?
    "No" means "yes".

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Isn't Dispel Magic what we refer (back) to when something is dispelled? Are the mechanics of dispelling defined anywhere else?
    The difference he's referring to is the wording that if you choose a creature as target, the spell ends on that target. So it only ends on the target.

I don't agree with that interpretation of the wording of Dispel Magic. But he's got a point that the wording is different.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    Saying "it leaves no room for interpretation", in a thread which is all about how to interpret is, seems a bit dubious.
    Not at all. I am saying the wording of the Darkness Spell leaves no room for interpretation as to what it says is going to happen. Maybe they didn't mean it or maybe they should have worded it differently, but they didn't. It's pretty clear in my Opinion. Of course we can discuss house rules, erratas, tweets etc. And also you are of course welcome to have you own opinion.