New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Tiers for official 3.5 Classes until Level 6

How would you tier the 3.5 classes under E6 rules (maybe including ‘capstone feats’).

Has this been done before?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tiers for official 3.5 Classes until Level 6

Things are a little more even, but it can be hard to discuss because at early levels stuff is extremely dice-dependent. A caster can, hypothetically, shut down an entire combat encounter with one lucky Color Spray or Sleep. Or they can get one-offed by a lucky goblin.

Initiators are probably among the most consistent classes at those early levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I agree with the above post. Initiators are all about consistency. A Crusader 1 is the tankiest level 1 character you can make, and he still hits as hard as a fighter. I'd place the three initiator classes on the top spot along with Druid, simply because Druid is a powerhouse at any level. Below them would be the effective high-HD classes like Barbarian, Paladin and Fighter, simply because they are not outclassed at all by level 6, along with Cleric. Third spot would go to Rangers and Rogues and possibly Bards, because flat bonuses and extra dice at these low levels do make a difference. From then on, you can have d4 casters and the monk by 4th place because they're mostly a liability at this point in the game, only strating to pick up by level 5.

It's ironically an inversion of some laws of Tier lists, because spellcasting alone won't carry your ass when the max level is 6.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Meldshapers go up in ranking too. Incarnates can be real tough at low levels. Oh, and dragonfire adepts. Entangling Exhalation is hella formidable.

Warlocks are no slouches either with summon swarm at level 1. The invocation normally starts out super strong, but falls off fairly quickly as enemy saves outscale its fixed DCs. In a perpetually low-level environment, though, a DC 14 save against blindness is never going to become irrelevant.

On the flip side, shadowcaster gets dunked hard as its first real power spike is at level 7.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Kayblis View Post
    It's ironically an inversion of some laws of Tier lists, because spellcasting alone won't carry your ass when the max level is 6.
    I'm pretty sure some castings of Tenser's Floating Disk could easily carry an ass, a donkey, or any sort of mule-like creature at level 6.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

It definitely does. You just occasionally have to be more creative.

I played an Elven Generalist Wizard 5/Mage of the Arcane Order 1 character that had access to any 3rd-level arcane spell capable of solving a problem. Thanks to Collegiate Wizard, he started the game with 14 spells, and gained 7 each time he leveled up. For his second epic feat I took Epic Spell: Scrying, and used an Eternal Wand of Shrink Item to carry the mirror around as a necklace charm. Most of the rest of his epic feats were spent on item creation since I had access to any spell I needed at any time.

His most noteworthy accomplishment was teaming up with the warlock to annihilate an entire company of troops that had camped at an abandoned fortress.

We needed something that the leader had. So we tracked them for five days until they made camp. I spent every single day using a Rod of Extend to prepare every single 2nd and 3rd level spell slot as Shink Item, decreasing about two and a half dozen or so several-thousand-pound rocks to about the size of bowling balls. We additionally prepared two barrels half-filled with sawdust and then topped off with oil (essentially bathtub pitch when mixed thoroughly), and then lit them on fire and shrunk those as well. We waited until nightfall and spent the entire encounter tossing these onto the army from about 250 feet in the air.

There were no survivors.
    Resident Mad Scientist...

"It's so cool!"

Spoiler: Contests
    Show
    VC I: Lord Commander Conrad Vayne, 1st place
    VC II: Lorna, the Mother's Wrath, 5th place
    VC XV: Tosk, Kursak the Marauder, Vierna Zalyl; 1st place, 6th/7th place
    Kitchen Crashers Protocol for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    But that's one of the things about interpreting RAW—when you pick a reading that goes against RAI, it often has a ripple effect that results in dysfunctions in other places.

7. - Top - End - #7

I think tier 1 isn't really possible at low levels. A cleric or druid or a wizard with an arbitrary number of spells might have a lot of tricks by level 6 but I don't think you can solve all challenges using only level 3 spells.

Tier 2 is also a bit tricky, it requires a few game breaking tricks. You can't solve all challenges but your presence does invalidate entire classes of problem. Edge case builds can certainly do this but simply playing class X shouldn't be enough.

So, I'm going to say
    drop all the Tier two and Tier one classes to tier three

Ultimately, the weakness of low tier classes has always been a lack of flexibility and options and that doesn't go away at low levels. The fighter still lacks the ability to contribute meaningfully to non-combat challenges and the wizard can still break the world once per encounter even at level 1.

Also, low HP isn't the huge weakness people make it out to be, it can be worked around with good character building and careful play. Having no good class features or being MAD is much harder to deal with.
    I am rel.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be tempted to place sorcerer above wizard honestly. Assuming you're playing e6 in an environment where scrolls aren't readily available for anyone and everyone to pick up, meaning if you want new spells, you'd have to get the e6 feat which gives you 3 spell levels worth of spells, either in your spell book or as spells known, after a few e6 feats, the sorcerer and wizard come up roughly even on spells known/spells/day, HOWEVER, the sorcerer can cast all his spells spontaneously. The sorcerer could eventually learn every spell up to 3rd level and cast it spontaneously, though that would involve going quite deep into e6
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Wild Shape Mystic Ranger 6 is probably Tier 1 in this new tier list, as it gets 3rd level Ranger and Wizard spells (you DID take Sword of the Arcane Order, right?), Wild Shape, +6/+1 BAB, and 6+INT skills per level (x4 at 1st level). If that isn't the versatility and power that is expected of a Tier 1 E6 class, I don't know what is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

10. - Top - End - #10

WolfInSheepsClothing

Remember that tiers don't just measure power, but also versatility. A fighter 1 can beat a wizard 1 in a fight, perhaps (though it's not a gimme when one failed will save will open the fighter up to a coup) but nothing the fighter can do stands up in versatility to "Detects poison in one creature or small object", "Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft", "Creates torches or other lights", "Figment sounds", "5-pound telekinesis" and "Makes minor repairs on an object", and that's before you remember that the wizard has first-level spells. By the time the wizard's level 6, they have the ability to change form into another one, to fly, to turn the whole party invisible, or to turn a small squad of enemies into a charnel pit in one action, to name but a few. A wizard is still tier 1 and a fighter tier 4 tops. A few tiers will change more noticeably, mainly those of the janky not-casters (Troacctid mentioned a few; hilariously, truenamers might also be decent because healing and the kinds of buffs that the truenamer can put out are actually relevant at low levels). For the most part, though, it's not changing much.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

There's really not a big enough divergence at E6 to justify the level of detail the Tiers want to provide. You could maybe get away with three levels of distinction, but honestly I think you'd be fine with two -- "this really sucks" and "this is good enough". There just aren't classes that are "pretty good" or "mediocre" to the same degree there are when considering the full level range.

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    Remember that tiers don't just measure power, but also versatility.
    Those are not meaningfully distinct concepts. What tiers do, or at least should, measure is "ability to overcome problems". That can come from doing new things (versatility) or it can come from getting better at doing things you already do (power). But just gaining a bunch of new abilities that don't help you do anything useful, or gaining even bigger numbers in something where you already always win aren't things that matter.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Awkward View Post
    It definitely does. You just occasionally have to be more creative.
    Let's see:

I played an Elven Generalist Wizard 5/Mage of the Arcane Order 1 character that had access to any 3rd-level arcane spell capable of solving a problem. Thanks to Collegiate Wizard, he started the game with 14 spells, and gained 7 each time he leveled up. For his second epic feat I took Epic Spell: Scrying, and used an Eternal Wand of Shrink Item to carry the mirror around as a necklace charm. Most of the rest of his epic feats were spent on item creation since I had access to any spell I needed at any time.

His most noteworthy accomplishment was teaming up with the warlock to annihilate an entire company of troops that had camped at an abandoned fortress.

We needed something that the leader had. So we tracked them for five days until they made camp. I spent every single day using a Rod of Extend to prepare every single 2nd and 3rd level spell slot as Shink Item, decreasing about two and a half dozen or so several-thousand-pound rocks to about the size of bowling balls. We additionally prepared two barrels half-filled with sawdust and then topped off with oil (essentially bathtub pitch when mixed thoroughly), and then lit them on fire and shrunk those as well. We waited until nightfall and spent the entire encounter tossing these onto the army from about 250 feet in the air.

There were no survivors.
    Not sure, if "had access to any 3rd-level arcane spell capable of solving a problem" means Cleric-like access, but this is a power upgrade compared to wizards. "Collegiate Wizard, he started the game with 14 spells, and gained 7 each time he leveled up" seems possibly redundant, but is a power upgrade compared to wizards. "second epic feat"/"Most of the rest of his epic feats": How can you get epic feats at level 6? And several of them? Assuming that this is rules legal, once more a power upgrade compared to wizards. "Eternal Wand of Shrink Item" is also a gold saver, which is a power upgrade to people not buying this stuff. "We waited until nightfall and spent the entire encounter tossing these onto the army from about 250 feet in the air.": So you abused effectively a number of rules to collect enough items, which in effect even fighter with access to flight would allow to win. I'm reasonable sure, that people playing E6 don't include these options.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Only GitP can take an E6 thread and start talking about using epic level feats.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah other Forums can do that to.

But we do it on Page 1 ! ^^

On the OP: I would likely put the Initiator Classes Druid and Mystic Ranger on the absolute Top.
    Followed by Clerics and their Variants, Warlocks/DFA and Meldshapers.
    Then the InYour Face Classes like Barbarians and Wizards (funnily at arund the same overall effectiveness/Power).

However others are correct: The problem at these Levels is too much Dice Luck dependancy, so for my above ranking I am assuming use of an alternate Dice system (Say 3d6) to truly "fit" the bill.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Let's see:

Not sure, if "had access to any 3rd-level arcane spell capable of solving a problem" means Cleric-like access, but this is a power upgrade compared to wizards. "Collegiate Wizard, he started the game with 14 spells, and gained 7 each time he leveled up" seems possibly redundant, but is a power upgrade compared to wizards. "second epic feat"/"Most of the rest of his epic feats": How can you get epic feats at level 6? And several of them? Assuming that this is rules legal, once more a power upgrade compared to wizards. "Eternal Wand of Shrink Item" is also a gold saver, which is a power upgrade to people not buying this stuff. "We waited until nightfall and spent the entire encounter tossing these onto the army from about 250 feet in the air.": So you abused effectively a number of rules to collect enough items, which in effect even fighter with access to flight would allow to win. I'm reasonable sure, that people playing E6 don't include these options.
    Quote Originally Posted by 16bearswutIdo View Post
    Only GitP can take an E6 thread and start talking about using epic level feats.
    I think by "epic feat", he meant "capstone feat", which is a special E6 thing that doesn't have anything to do with "normal" epic feats. Capstone feats are described here (and in other places), under "Extra Feats": http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthr...Inside-D-amp-D
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

16. - Top - End - #16

Let's see:

Literally more than cleric-like access.

A Mage of the Arcane Order can leave spell slots unprepared at the beginning of the day and spontaneously fill that slot as a full-round action with any spell that appears on the sorcerer/wizard list. Which they can immediately cast on their next turn.
    A Belt of Battle makes this happen on the same turn.

And by "epic" feat I mean as in E6 game (which is short for "Epic 6"). Once you hit level 6 you character stops leveling, and every 5,000 XP afterwards you get another feat for which you qualify. Since you are at the max level, these are referred to as your "epic" feats. One of the options for a spellcaster of 6th-level is to learn a 4th-level spell that you can cast once per day. Essentially it becomes an "epic" spell.

And if by "abused" you mean "read the spell description and cast them according to the rules written", then yes.

The point of the story was there is no level in D&D 3e where magic does not result in a win.
    Resident Mad Scientist...

"It's so cool!"

Spoiler: Contests
    Show
    VC I: Lord Commander Conrad Vayne, 1st place
    VC II: Lorna, the Mother's Wrath, 5th place
    VC XV: Tosk, Kursak the Marauder, Vierna Zalyl; 1st place, 6th/7th place
    Kitchen Crashers Protocol for Peace

But that's one of the things about interpreting RAW—when you pick a reading that goes against RAI, it often has a ripple effect that results in dysfunctions in other places.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

I agree with the above post. Initiators are all about consistency. A Crusader 1 is the tankiest level 1 character you can make, and he still hits as hard as a fighter. I'd place the three initiator classes on the top spot along with Druid, simply because Druid is a powerhouse at any level. Below them would be the effective high-HD classes like Barbarian, Paladin and Fighter, simply because they are not outclassed at all by level 6, along with Cleric. Third spot would go to Rangers and Rogues and possibly Bards, because flat bonuses and extra dice at these low levels do make a difference. From then on, you can have d4 casters and the monk by 4th place because they're mostly a liability at this point in the game, only strating to pick up by level 5.

This is silly. D4 casters aren't tanky, yes, but no other level 1 character has the raw encounter ending power of AOE save-or-loses like Color Spray or Sleep. You can have up to 5 slots (1 base, +2 Int, +3 - 1 Focused Specialist) though 3-4 is more likely and each of those can take out 2-3 enemies or enemies out of your league (e.g. Ogre is likely to get OHKOd by either - try to have your Fighter fight one and they just get splattered). And then there are options like Abrupt Jaunt. Casters are like bazookas on low levels: by far the strongest offense the game contains and a lot of utility (Prestidigitation alone can do almost anything noncombat, let alone other cantrips) but squishy and with few defensive options (though anyone getting attacked is liable to get OHKOd by a strong melee type like Orc Warrior). By far the best class(es) at punching above their weight class and fighting higher CR enemies.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

as others have said, the tier list as we know it is solving problems not a best/worst class thing. a fighter can litterally one shot some enemies by using certain builds (ubercharger).

what your looking for is a best/worst classes guide.

if one were to make such a guide for E6 then certain thins would need to be noted as important.
    feat access is worth LESS overall due to the access post 6.
    BAB is ONLY worth more on classes that get 6+/1+ due to the extra attack. 3/4 and 1/2 BAB should be treated the same.
    Spellcasters/psions have MORE problems due to less staying power in E6.
    Initiators, meldshapers, warlocks, DFA's, binder, soul knives, and to a certain extent martials have a LOT of staying power due to the at will aspect of their abilities. (this does not make them better than x, just more staying power)
    spontaneous casters are somewhat better than normal due to the limits on prepared casters, and more access to feats adding to spell list.
    truenamer: assuming being read in such a way that actually is allowed to use their abilities are ok at lower levels (still technically doesn't work by raw)

Shape soulmeld might be the most powerful feat in the game @lvl 20 but damn if it isn't more so @ lvl 6.
    metamagic is damn near useless without reducers @lvl20, even more-so @ lvl 6 since max lvl is 3.
    Prestige classes are nearly impossible to enter now EXCEPT for 1 level, the exception to this rule are the spellcasting ones that can be cheesed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BassoonHero View Post
    No, the problem is that the limit one can achieve with physical brute force from a human body is low, very, very, very low, so obviously someone pursuing strength via muscles is not going to get far.
    This is certainly true in 3.5, but I don't think that it's an inevitable feature of the fantasy genre. Look at wuxia. Look at mythology. Look at what "peak human" means in the DC universe. I think that "strength via muscles" can do some pretty amazing things if the system allows for it.

19. - Top - End - #19

And if by "abused" you mean "read the spell description and cast them according to the rules written", then yes.

The point of the story was there is no level in D&D 3e where magic does not result in a win.
    You still need a certain combination out of hundreds to receive that kind of flexibility. There is no meaningful difference to a wizard, who simply casts like a sorcerer and has "spell known = all". It's breaking the confines of the wizard class and how the class balance is supposed to work. If you have to play a normal wizard, I'm sure your ability to influence the game would drastically shrink.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

20. - Top - End - #20

RedWizardGuy

You still need a certain combination out of hundreds to receive that kind of flexibility. There is no meaningful difference to a wizard, who simply casts like a sorcerer and has "spell known = all". It's breaking the confines of the wizard class and how the class balance is supposed to work. If you have to play a normal wizard, I'm sure your ability to influence the game would drastically shrink.
    Sure not everyone is going mage of the arcane order (though it should be fairly common, there's not much reason to take 6 levels of wizard over a PrC and it's got one of the best 1st level benefit), but you can certainly get a fair amount of versatility with spontaneous divination, alacritous cogitation and uncanny forethought.

Even without spontaneous access you still have spells, at low levels sleep and colour spray are always potent, and in general there's plenty of good 3rd and under spells (and 4th level 'epic' options like polymorph)

21. - Top - End - #21

With 2 flaws Clerics can get CL20 at-will animate objects at level 3 and the resulting Gargantuan Animated Object is stronger than everything in E6.
    DMM:Persistent Spell Clerics can grab all the damage spells like Ice Axe, Ring of Blades, Blade of Knives and Mass Lesser Vigor and just kill anything and everything 24/7 without ever needing to rest.

I'm sure wizards and sorcerers can pull something similar so tier lists stays the same for E6.

22. - Top - End - #22

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RoboEmperor View Post
    With 2 flaws Clerics can get CL20 at-will animate objects at level 3
    Out of sheer curiosity, how do you do this? Just expanding my (weak) Op-fu
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Out of sheer curiosity, how do you do this? Just expanding my (weak) Op-fu
    Race:Changeling
    Domain:Transformation, Planning
    Feats:
    1 Otherworldly
    F Persistent Spell
    F Divine Metamagic:Persistent Spell
    3 Assume Supernatural Ability:Animate Objects

At level 3 DMM:Persist Alter Self and turn yourself into a Ravid 24/7 and use Assume Supernatural Ability to use the Ravid's at-will Animate Objects (Su) aura 24/7

24. - Top - End - #24

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    This is silly. D4 casters aren't tanky, yes, but no other level 1 character has the raw encounter ending power of ...
    Yeah, if you only prepare SoLs as your spell selection, you can say you're a very efficient barbarian. You still go into negatives when hit with a single stray arrow, though. Or get stabbed by a goblin. Or get grabbed by anything. Without a healer, that's your contribution for the day and there's nothing you can do about it. You have a worse (insert statistic here) than anyone in the game except Will, and if you prepare defensive spells you won't have your beloved SoLs because spells are a very finite resource. Anything above your CR is most likely immune to low level SoLs simply by having more HD than you can affect, and your save DCs at low levels are not good. Sure, a Glitterdust spell might render some enemies blind,but the ones that resist don't have any reason not to charge you - and 3 turns might not be enough time to end the encounter anyways. A Wizard is very powerful with its all-or-nothing spells, but relying only on those and saying "anyone can be OHKO'd by something" is missing the point entirely. A Wizard can easily be downed by mooks with a crossbow.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Also, a Warblade absolutely has the encounter-ending power of Color Spray, since hitting two enemies for 16 damage each tends to be pretty decisive, and they can do it all day long instead of running out of slots, and they have a d12 hit die instead of a d4.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2018-11-18 at 01:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    I'd be tempted to place sorcerer above wizard honestly. Assuming you're playing e6 in an environment where scrolls aren't readily available for anyone and everyone to pick up, meaning if you want new spells, you'd have to get the e6 feat which gives you 3 spell levels worth of spells, either in your spell book or as spells known, after a few e6 feats, the sorcerer and wizard come up roughly even on spells known/spells/day, HOWEVER, the sorcerer can cast all his spells spontaneously. The sorcerer could eventually learn every spell up to 3rd level and cast it spontaneously, though that would involve going quite deep into e6
    That also implies that no other wizards interested in sharing spells exist.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, if you only prepare SoLs as your spell selection, you can say you're a very efficient barbarian. You still go into negatives when hit with a single stray arrow, though. Or get stabbed by a goblin. Or get grabbed by anything. Without a healer, that's your contribution for the day and there's nothing you can do about it. You have a worse (insert statistic here) than anyone in the game except Will, and if you prepare defensive spells you won't have your beloved SoLs because spells are a very finite resource. Anything above your CR is most likely immune to low level SoLs simply by having more HD than you can affect, and your save DCs at low levels are not good. Sure, a Glitterdust spell might render some enemies blind,but the ones that resist don't have any reason not to charge you - and 3 turns might not be enough time to end the encounter anyways. A Wizard is very powerful with its all-or-nothing spells, but relying only on those and saying "anyone can be OHKO'd by something" is missing the point entirely. A Wizard can easily be downed by mooks with a crossbow.
    Also, a Warblade absolutely has the encounter-ending power of Color Spray, since hitting two enemies for 16 damage each tends to be pretty decisive, and they can do it all day long instead of running out of slots, and they have a d12 hit die instead of a d4.
    That's fair, Warblades can be pretty badass. Though I posit the Wizard's rate of success is substantially higher and the daily limitation isn't that big of a deal: DC can go up to 16 or even 17 if you're building for Shadowcraft Mage or something and thus have Spell Focus: Illusion and many even CR 3-4 enemies have +0-+1 range Will-saves for a 75% failure rate, while Warblades are probably looking at +5-+7 to hit or something vs. AC 15. So like 70%-80% success rate vs. 50%-60%, which adds up on multiple hits and is polarized by the extremely swingy nature of level 1 combat; disabling enemy ASAP is paramount since anyone can die in a single hit. It also ignores HP, which is pretty important vs. something like an Ogre. Also, spells like Color Spray or Sleep don't care about concealment or even detection; poor lightning, night, whatever, you've got full success chance while Warblades are looking at at worst 50% miss chance. It's also easier to guess the right square with AOE if you're forced into a situation where you don't know the enemy location precisely and need to incapacitate them. Same with Cover; applies to melee, not so much to spells.

And you can look at even 3-4 encounters if you make do with one spell per encounter (of course, vs. minor encounters you won't even need spells or at worst, you can burn a Daze - Light Crossbow or Longbow or whatever is still a very real contribution on this level if you have decent Dex). Again, make me fight some bigger giants or monstrous humanoids or whatever and I'll take a Wizard over a melee type any day since targeting their Will is much more likely to be a winning strategy than targeting their AC followed by HP.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2018-11-18 at 01:55 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

28. - Top - End - #28

Goblin

One of the options for a spellcaster of 6th-level is to learn a 4th-level spell that you can cast once per day. Essentially it becomes an "epic" spell.
    That's not one of the "official" capstone options for E6. They offer "restoration 1/day" and "stone to flesh 1/day," but not "(choose a 4th-level spell) 1/day."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RoboEmperor View Post
    Race:Changeling
    Domain:Transformation, Planning
    Feats:
    1 Otherworldly
    F Persistent Spell
    F Divine Metamagic:Persistent Spell
    3 Assume Supernatural Ability:Animate Objects

At level 3 DMM:Persist Alter Self and turn yourself into a Ravid 24/7 and use Assume Supernatural Ability to use the Ravid's at-will Animate Objects (Su) aura 24/7
    I don't think a single slice of Cheese should define Tiers.

Full Spellcasters are typically named T1 because of their wide variety of methods for bending the game over their knees.

When you have a scenario where MOST of your options are mediocre and a few that break the meter, then you get into Truenamer type rankings.

It's not like because this is possible that every Cleric in the game is suddenly going to be an Ebberon Cleric that grew up in one of three particular regions of Faerun just so they can dominate all life with their gargantuan animated objects.

Tiers should be ranked based on how frequently they break game balance, not based on their biggest single spike in power.

In E6, clerics just aren't pulling this level of cheese with every character option they turn to.

I mean, for goodness' sake, what if the DM disallows EITHER: Ebberon specific material, Faerun specific material, OR just Flaws in general?

Back to square 1, old chum.
    Last edited by Pleh; 2018-11-18 at 06:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Some play RPG's like chess, some like charades.

Everyone has their own jam.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Pleh View Post
    I don't think a single slice of Cheese should define Tiers.

Full Spellcasters are typically named T1 because of their wide variety of methods for bending the game over their knees.

When you have a scenario where MOST of your options are mediocre and a few that break the meter, then you get into Truenamer type rankings.

It's not like because this is possible that every Cleric in the game is suddenly going to be an Ebberon Cleric that grew up in one of three particular regions of Faerun just so they can dominate all life with their gargantuan animated objects.

Tiers should be ranked based on how frequently they break game balance, not based on their biggest single spike in power.

In E6, clerics just aren't pulling this level of cheese with every character option they turn to.

I mean, for goodness' sake, what if the DM disallows EITHER: Ebberon specific material, Faerun specific material, OR just Flaws in general?

Back to square 1, old chum.
    That's like saying "what if the DM only allows core?"
    Eberron says everything in d&d has a place in eberron, and Champions of Valor says celestial attended birth is easily adapted to any setting.
    And this is just one example I'm familiar with. My point is tier1s have options to frontload their builds since levels 7+ doesn't exist while mundanes have no options.

A variant
    Race:Illumian
    Class:Cleric1/Wizard2
    Domain:Planning, Undeath
    Feats:
    1 Otherworldly
    D Extend Spell
    F Precocious Apprentice
    F Persistent Spell
    3 Assume Supernatural Ability

3rd level Gargantuan Animated Object without cross-setting material.

Again, this is not the only shenanigan tier 1s can pull, it's just the one that I'm most familiar with.

Artificers using Divine Crusader's spell list and caster level boosters like the Adept Spirit spell can get access to Wish or Gate at level 6 or lower and Simulacrum at level 5 or lower. Or Lesser Planar Binding at level 3 which results in a Mirror Mephit making a Simulacrum of a 16hd creature. Planetars have 9th level casting which means Miracle which means Miracle Replicating Simulacra which means Simulacra of 34hd creatures. Ravid simulacra results in a Gargantuan Animated Object. All this at level 3. And this is with 0 feat investment of any kind. Just abuse of that one PrC's spell list.
    Last edited by RoboEmperor; 2018-11-18 at 06:41 PM.