New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Worth the deal?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Worth the deal?

Long story short:

Playing a war forged monk, got attacked by a symbiont hive.

Just hit level 4.

DM offered me an option:
    The symbiont breastplate bonds with me and gives me a flat +1 to ac, that will stack with my monk unarmored bonus.
    +1 to Str or Dex, dex obviously.
    The 2 symbiont whips bond to my arms and give my unarmed attacks 10 ft reach and can manipulate things like my own hands.

However: it will cost my ASI at level 4 and I will have to attune to each one so it will take my 3 attuned slots.

As a monk I don't really need much in the way of gear and these will level with me to be the equivalent of +1/2/3 when the group gets their magic weapons/armor.

I am very tempted to take it.

Worth it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: Worth the deal?

That honestly sounds like a pretty sweet deal, assuming you're cool with the flavor. Compared to other half feats, it's honestly a bit OP, and it covers down for a major problem with the monk.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSorcererX View Post
    In a world with grey morality you could say that your mission is "I will magically nuke every hobgoblin settlement." (Neutral Good)...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

+1 AC and reach are quite nice.

It's DEFINITELY worth the ASI.

But is it worth the attunement? If your DM is liberal with items, I'd say no. But if they're not super generous with them, it's probably worth it.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    +1 AC and reach are quite nice.

It's DEFINITELY worth the ASI.

But is it worth the attunement? If your DM is liberal with items, I'd say no. But if they're not super generous with them, it's probably worth it.
    We don't have any magic items yet, but we just leveled up to 4, so not like we would be rolling in them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

+ 1 to Dex
    + 1 to AC
    Adds reach to Unarmed Strikes (making them as effective as Whips or eventually Polearms)

Considering Monks don't usually get many options to attune to anyway, this is a great deal. It's a shame you hit level 4, knowing what subclass to play matters a lot here. Drunken Master and Sun Soul, for instance, become completely redundant, where Open Palm gets a drastic buff.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I say go for it. You're already getting half your ASI back, so it's basically a half feat for reach that also has out of combat utility. Plus a weapon that auto-scales.

Plus, your DM seems to be offering you this on the basis of rule of cool. If there are other attunement requiring magic items that everybody picks up, expect your symbionts to develop those powers too. There are probably plot based strings attached to this offer, but you're a PC. Having built in plot hooks makes everybody's life easier.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

The chest augment to AC is going increase? You're going to end up with some insane AC. I'd say it's a good deal. The reach ability is less important. Monks are already pretty mobile.

I'd be very tempted to multiclass into something else. Darkwood core with light armor and shield proficiency, you lose a lot of your monkness with it but a Shield+1 would crank your AC crazy high at Tier 2 and above. Easily to get close to 30AC in Tier 3.

Rapier and Board Battlemaster fighter with Sentinel feat would let you do some awesome tricks with your tentacles.
    Last edited by Wildarm; 2018-11-16 at 02:02 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I would say it's worth it, but also think it should only take 2 attunement slots. It's armor and a weapon. That should leave you one attunement in my opinion. I'd probably take it either way though!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Galithar View Post
    I would say it's worth it, but also think it should only take 2 attunement slots. It's armor and a weapon. That should leave you one attunement in my opinion. I'd probably take it either way though!
    It is both whips, they are considered unarmed so can’t dual wield really, not that it would matter.

1 attunement for the chestpiece and 1 for each whip.

I like it for the thematics. I am cg and will have a hive mind voice in my head.

My character is an archaeologist who opened a chest in a tomb and kind of got facehuggered.

I am a warforged envy and my built in tool was a climbing kit, the whips will be very nice.

I went with the drunken master subclass.

Think drunken Indiana Jones living life to the fullest, loves danger and mystery and exploring ruins.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wildarm View Post
    The chest augment to AC is going increase? You're going to end up with some insane AC. I'd say it's a good deal. The reach ability is less important. Monks are already pretty mobile.

I'd be very tempted to multiclass into something else. Darkwood core with light armor and shield proficiency, you lose a lot of your monkness with it but a Shield+1 would crank your AC crazy high at Tier 2 and above. Easily to get close to 30AC in Tier 3.

Rapier and Board Battlemaster fighter with Sentinel feat would let you do some awesome tricks with your tentacles.
    It only adds the +1 ac, so with an 18 dex and 16 wis my ac is only 18.

Most I could do would be 21 if I get 20 in both stats, if my armor gets enhanced I could max at 24.

Anyone with plate and a shield can get the same and if they have magic items they can get higher, and do not need a 20 in 2 stats to get it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    cg
    Coconut gun!

(Yes, I do know what it actually stands for; I just happened to randomly think of that rip while/after reading it (the "cg" in your post).)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Can you attune just one whip? I don't really see where the second one is giving you any benefit, and it's sucking up that third attunement slot.

Even at three, though, go for it. Have fun. If you reach a point where you regret it later, I'm sure you can do some plot thing to kill your symbionts, and you'll only be out 1 ability point. In the meantime, you are weird, scary, cool, and mechanically very effective in combat.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    Can you attune just one whip? I don't really see where the second one is giving you any benefit, and it's sucking up that third attunement slot.

Even at three, though, go for it. Have fun. If you reach a point where you regret it later, I'm sure you can do some plot thing to kill your symbionts, and you'll only be out 1 ability point. In the meantime, you are weird, scary, cool, and mechanically very effective in combat.
    Nope, can't attune to just one, has to be both.

I think I will go for it, the idea of being a CG drunken archaeologist whose normal metal armor and weapons are actually sentient beings that are bonded with him and whisper in his mind is pretty cool.

Maybe I can get a job at Miskatonic U.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Think drunken Indiana Jones living life to the fullest, loves danger and mystery and exploring ruins.
    Drunken robot Indiana Jones. You know what you have to do.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    Drunken robot Indiana Jones. You know what you have to do.
    Actually, I hate futurama and all those other type shows.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Actually, I hate futurama and all those other type shows.
    Define "other type shows", I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

I say kudos to your DM for the magic item. The fact it wasn't an obvious yes or no tells me the DM did a good of providing a difficult choice.

I say go for it as at least it'll be really interesting and (hopefully) fun.
    Last edited by guachi; 2018-11-16 at 11:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Optimizing under the assumption that the campaign will continue for a while, I'd go with no. While monk doesn't need their attunement for weapons and armor, there are other things that are very useful for boosting defense or mobility. You're basically giving up 3 attunement slots and a stat point for longer reach and 1 AC.

However, that has to be balanced against what makes a fun character for you.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Define "other type shows", I'm curious.
    The other fox animated shows like family guy, Simpson’s, bob’s burgers, American dad, whose kinds of shows. It my kind of thing.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by guachi View Post
    I say kudos to your DM for the magic item. The fact it wasn't an obvious yes or no tells me the DM did a good of providing a difficult choice.

I say go for it as at least it'll be really interesting and (hopefully) fun.
    Yeah, he is doing a great job so far. It is his first time among and he wrote his own campaign complete with extensive backstory and history.