New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: which character would you go out with?

Lien sounds good on paper, but I'd probably feel she was out of my league and end up trying too hard to impress her. And doing that only makes you anxious and miserable, even if they do love you back. Celia and Haley aren't my type. I'd love to have Oona as a friend, but I don't think we're compatible.

Vaarsuvius (post-BRiTF-character-development) is a possibility. V is intelligent (if a bit arrogant about that fact), seems to be becoming more responsible, and is private with their personal business, which I like. But there's a big downside. We're both arrogant, bullheaded a**holes when we believe we're right, which sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I think my #1 pick would be Bandana. She seems smart and practical, and has got a good sense of both adventure and responsibility. She's tough, and a leader. And she's sensible, forthright and pragmatic with emotional issues, too (at least so far as we've seen). Lots of pluses to our new Mechane captain. Plus, she swings the right way, which, y'know, makes it possible.
    Last edited by Potatopeelerkin; 2019-01-15 at 01:17 PM.
    My bubble cannot be burst. It is impervious to physical damage.

Bugbear cleric avatar by me.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Lawyering is not the most intellectually demanding occupation out there, but it's close.

I'd have a million different questions for Miko, but depending on the version I'm dealing with the 'date' might have to conducted from outside the reinforced glass wall of a padded cell. Celia is too good for me. Ponchula is probably a little too nasty. Can I go with the S-Men version of Jean Grey? ...that counts, right?
    But the lower end of the range for lawyers is still about 100 IQ, about average intelligence - which suggests that it is possible to become and practice as a lawyer if you are only average intelligence. Of course it requires a lot of intelligence to be a good lawyer, but you can get away with helping people buy and sell their family home with a lot less.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    But the lower end of the range for lawyers is still about 100 IQ, about average intelligence - which suggests that it is possible to become and practice as a lawyer if you are only average intelligence. Of course it requires a lot of intelligence to be a good lawyer, but you can get away with helping people buy and sell their family home with a lot less.
    I know two lawyers who do not make a very good living. Both did well in law school (which is a heck of a screening process) but there is still the issue of putting it to work as a job, as a career, and as a profession. A whole bunch of people (lawyers) left our county when Proposition 12 was passed in Texas 15 years ago. (The cynic in me thought "the least viable ambulance chasers are gone" but it was likely a lot more complicated than that. I did get an anecdotal bit of evidence from the wife of one who moved a year later, who worked in our office, that Prop 12 was a contributor to his practice getting a financial hurt ... )
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-01-15 at 04:24 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just stumbled on some more evidence that Miko is supposed to be attractive, I'm pretty sure that was a topic that came up in this thread at some point.

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Just stumbled on some more evidence that Miko is supposed to be attractive, I'm pretty sure that was a topic that came up in this thread at some point.
    That was a good strip, also. Good lines by Belkar, for example. I love when characters go verbally on each other :-) :-)
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Yeah, i categorised the characters by attractiveness on page 3. I already had Miko in the attractive group (because Roy said she was hot), but Ill refer to this strip as well.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Haley is Chaotic Neutral/Chaotic Good, a revolutionary at heart, bi-curious and can likely scrounge up some Polymorph items. Celia would be my first choice if she weren't Lawful; we'd not work out. And then there's Sabine, who would very likely be quite interesting if she weren't Evil or, even more incompatible, possibly Lawful. And then there's Veldrina, who is adorably cute and an elf. The problem is I'd need to spend a long while protecting her from danger her curiosity puts her in. And Ponchula is crazy sexy, but also crazy.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-01-16 at 12:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Haley is Chaotic Neutral/Chaotic Good, a revolutionary at heart, bi-curious and can likely scrounge up some Polymorph items. Celia would be my first choice if she weren't Lawful; we'd not work out. And then there's Sabine, who would very likely be quite interesting if she weren't Evil or, even more incompatible, possibly Lawful. And then there's Veldrina, who is adorably cute and an elf. The problem is I'd need to spend a long while protecting her from danger her curiosity puts her in.
    Huh. First Lacuna says he wouldn't pick Miko and then the_weirdo didn't even mention Hilgya? What is the world coming to?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Banned

Huh. First Lacuna says he wouldn't pick Miko and then the_weirdo didn't even mention Hilgya? What is the world coming to?
    As it turns out, liking, agreeing with, defending the viewpoint of, or sympathizing with a character doesn't necessarily mean wanting to **** them.

I know. I'm shocked too.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-01-16 at 12:04 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    As it turns out, liking, agreeing with, defending the viewpoint of, or sympathizing with a character doesn't necessarily mean wanting to **** them.

I know. I'm shocked too.
    Thank you, Zim, for saving me the time of saying just about those exact words.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

11. - Top - End - #191

Gods forbid I make a joke now and then..

12. - Top - End - #192

I know. I'm shocked too.
    Come again?
    :-D
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Cannot believe Roy started out as unattractive. Roy doesn't have dump stats. He is probably at worst 2nd or 3rd in every stat for the Order. Honestly, in terms of story I be surprised if the man had a single stat below 14. Besides Celia is a Sylph and she is the one who came on to Roy first.
    Last edited by skaddix; 2019-01-16 at 06:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Come again?
    :-D
    Buy me dinner first.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    @Lacuna:
    1. Look, if YOU don't pick Miko, I will be very disappointed and nulllify your vote, ok? ;-)
    Look at me: I picked Sabine and stand by it. It's a fantasy webcomic, it's petty escapism, it's ok to have waifus :-* :-*
    Just loosen up and let free your desires!
    Oh, don't get me wrong- I could get aboard with the school-of-hard-knocks defrosting tsundere hinted at in her early appearances, but the delusional raging psychotic subjected to varying degrees of background/personality retcons? I have no idea what I'm dealing with there. Interesting to put under a microscope, but strictly labelled 'do not touch'.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm lesbian so I think Haley and Bandana are my only options. Which is fine by me, they're both awesome chaotic adventurer ladies, yes please.
    Previous avatar by Sgt. Pepper.

Previous avatar by Akrim.elf.

Current avatar by Cdr.Fallout

Old Desert Sayings, my RPG blog (mostly Pathfinder homebrew).

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Responding to stress with rudeness is not the same as responding to stress with genocide.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Barbarian in the Playground

I tried to think about it and I found myself feeling like Roy when he had to choose for the night shift, when they had to sleep in the dungeon.

"Haley -> "Bwhaha! Mine all mine!" as soon as she sees some money. Pass!"
    "Sabine -> maybe she will try to sacrifice me in some bloody sexual rite. While the sexual part in intriguing, I'd prefer to avoid the bloody part. Pass."

And so on.

Anyway, my choices:

Friendly encounter: Roy, probably. As the only sane man in the party, he is surely the one I'd prefer to share a conversation before a drink.

Date/brief relation: as long as I can put in a safe place my possessions or I can search her beforehand for sacrificial daggers, one between Haley or Sabine. They can be funny, they are clearly portrayed at least as pretty (in the case of Sabine, she can even adjust herself, if needed!), they look smart and street-wise enough. Smart and funny conversation + hot (smoking or otherwise)? Sold!

Freyia was even between my possible choices. I mean, she is a literal goddess! She must have some crazily high stats.
    And the bluebirds and flowers are cute.
    But I'd feel intimidated, I suppose. Performance anxiety and all. So I pass.
    Moreover the whole fertility stuff... becoming dad after a single date and then abandoning her? Durkon taught us these things don't end well.
    And if I wanted to support her and the child? Who knows how much money I'd pay for demi-god child support!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by skaddix View Post
    Cannot believe Roy started out as unattractive. Roy doesn't have dump stats. He is probably at worst 2nd or 3rd in every stat for the Order. Honestly, in terms of story I be surprised if the man had a single stat below 14. Besides Celia is a Sylph and she is the one who came on to Roy first.
    To be fair, he may have a pretty average Dexterity. He's never been portrayed as clumsy, but he's also never displayed any particular agility - how could he, in that armor?
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

19. - Top - End - #199

ClericGuy

Oh, don't get me wrong- I could get aboard with the school-of-hard-knocks defrosting tsundere hinted at in her early appearances, but the delusional raging psychotic subjected to varying degrees of background/personality retcons? I have no idea what I'm dealing with there. Interesting to put under a microscope, but strictly labelled 'do not touch'.
    Especially given Roy's entirely realistic take on dating her. "Honey we're out of milk. Clearly that means the gods want me to kill you. Slash Slash Slash!"

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Since I mentioned Lien as someone I'm attracted to, to be fair, I should admit that she probably wouldn't be attracted to me. She's said that her type is physically strong commoners. Well, I am a commoner, though that's not all that big of a recommendation, but I'm not very physically strong.

But Sangwaan is still my first choice, and since she's never said anything about who she's attracted to or what her type is, I'm still free to assume that I'm her type.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Disclaimer: as a general rule, people like us, being fairly average geeks, will usually have no chance with the object of our affections among comic characters, on account of the fact that they are all insanely attractive and powerful (especially with regards to casters, people that can obtain magic items or people with supernatural abilities) when compared to the average. I know I have no chance with Haley, Sabine, Celia, Veldrina or even Ponchula unless I roll the proverbial 20. Ergo, every post here must work under the assumption that we somehow already wooed them, usually by critting the Charisma check.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seward View Post
    Especially given Roy's entirely realistic take on dating her. "Honey we're out of milk. Clearly that means the gods want me to kill you. Slash Slash Slash!"
    Given this is (A) a one-dimensional cartoon flanderisation of Miko's original personality and (B) difficult to contradict within the established text, I should be clear this does not raise my opinion of either Roy or the text.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

Roy's Mom.

(I could have said Sara Greenhilt, but "Roy's Mom" sounds 300% funnier.)

Canonically hot, good-hearted enough to make it into Heaven, and definitely down for some action. Also, seems wise, and is quite experienced. And funny.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmit Svenson View Post
    Roy's Mom.

(I could have said Sara Greenhilt, but "Roy's Mom" sounds 300% funnier.)
    I briefly got this confused with the Titus Androncius mention in 1151 and really wanted to make a "Villain, I have done thy mother" joke.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Pixie in the Playground

Presuming that this paladin's own deity isn't considered an OOTS character...

...I'd definitely start with Lien. I'm glad to see that she's a popular choice, she should be! She's level-headed, has the coolest bonded mount ever, and she's the proper kind of paladin - kind and easygoing, making the world a better place how she can but quick to step up when need be. Plus, there are unlikely to be alignment conflicts! Also, I have it on good authority that she likes large, strong men, and I am that.

Very much on par with Lien - actually maybe a little above her depending on the day - is Celia. Lawful Good, a reasonable attitude toward killing things, intelligent, sweet and funny. Civilized, collected, and lovely. How can anyone top that?

My next choice, uh, because I make bad decisions, would probably be Miko. That passion! That energy! That dedication to Right and Good! That...uh...judgment and bias. I happen to be good at defusing people, *and* good at helping people make moral evaluations...so maybe I could help? But maybe I should listen to the voice in the back of my head that says "don't date a project!" ... I never listen to that voice.

Speaking of projects! Tsukiko! The poor thing's heart is in the right place - she just wants to love and be loved! She just needs, uh, guidance, as to where to direct that. She's supportive and affectionate, and has a great sense of style, and heterochromia!

Man, I need more paladin. Let's talk about O-Chul. Now there's someone with a sense of duty, someone who's calm and collected, wise and humble, dedicated and noble. I could definitely get behind - or, you know, in front, whichever - O-Chul.

Also, Hinjo, for very similar reasons, although he seems to be a little more aggressively sarcastic at times than I tend to prefer.

I'm kind of shocked that Luna hasn't posted in here yet! :o
    The Voice of Mayflower, Paladin and acolyte of Luna Mayflower!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTinyMan View Post
    Speaking of projects! Tsukiko! The poor thing's heart is in the right place - she just wants to love and be loved! She just needs, uh, guidance, as to where to direct that. She's supportive and affectionate, and has a great sense of style, and heterochromia!
    You may be insufficiently dead for her tastes. That seems like the kind of thing divorce proceedings like to call "irreconcilable differences."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    You may be insufficiently dead for her tastes. That seems like the kind of thing divorce proceedings like to call "irreconcilable differences."
    Nah, Tsukiko could fix that with two spells.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Disclaimer: as a general rule, people like us, being fairly average geeks, will usually have no chance with the object of our affections among comic characters, on account of the fact that they are all insanely attractive and powerful (especially with regards to casters, people that can obtain magic items or people with supernatural abilities) when compared to the average. I know I have no chance with Haley, Sabine, Celia, Veldrina or even Ponchula unless I roll the proverbial 20. Ergo, every post here must work under the assumption that we somehow already wooed them, usually by critting the Charisma check.
    Speak for yourself I'm hot as heck and date even hotter ladies

Im pretty surprised Lien is so popular though. I wouldn't normally go for the paladin type, but even then I dont see it
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post

Im pretty surprised Lien is so popular though. I wouldn't normally go for the paladin type, but even then I dont see it
    I did say: "as a general rule".

30. - Top - End - #210
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Rub it in, why dontcha

She's keen, witty, resourceful, cool under pressure, supportive, a seafarer, and a working class hero (something to be). What's not to love?