New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content 14: "I Deserve A Fancy Butt Emblem."

I *think* that Brun's dialogue in the last panel is a quote from a movie or book. I feel that I recognise it, but I can't place the reference.

Don't know about the glowing 'anime'-style eyes though, I think that's just a meme. Either that or Jeph "I have an addictive personality" Jacques went through some really weird times before he moved onto, and then eventually away from, alcohol.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-02-21 at 09:43 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #572

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    So, I guess that today was a parody of... something?
    Twilight Zone episode about a guy and dolls?

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Regardless of Brun's unspecified neurodivergence, I am beginning to suspect that she just isn't a very smart person.
    With fictional characters, it's always hard to say. I feel like she's being telegraphed as exceedingly lacking in common sense, with little trying to be said about any other aspects of 'smart'-ness.

Most of the characters (excepting Emily and Hanners, who have crazy genius as an informed attribute) seem to intellectually have a defining forte or weakness, but otherwise are pretty much blank canvasses upon which Jeph can paint the needed plot. How 'smart' is Marigold?-- smart enough to have a job, now let's talk about her social anxiety! How smart is Bubbles?--smart enough to be the level-headed one in the relationship, on to her and Faye's financial woes!

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

And now we have a named term to work with.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah... called it. :P

She seems to be reasonably high functioning, at least, although I know some fellow autistic folk who don't like that terminology.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

Have we met Kevin before?

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Have we met Kevin before?
    I don't think so. He might just have a stock chassis, that looks similar to Winslow's current chassis.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I'm going to be the insensitive **** who doesn't know what is wrong with being curious about a person's origin. Clearly not as a lame pick-up line but to the point where you'd tell your nine year old not to ask about it.

And.. I guess it was obvious but now Jeph went out and said it. Yay?

Also, I hope Brun is not too sweaty. Or Kevin doesn't care.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ettin in the Playground

Basically asking a stranger's ethnicity, at least as a White American in America, carries with it the connotation of "othering" them. Brun is an American born in America, but there's a certain history that comes with making a big point- or any point, really- of her being Ethnically Lebanese, just because it's something that enough Bad White People have done.

Sort of like how we have a word for "a bundle of sticks" that's more commonly used to refer to gay folk in a derogatory way, so much that it's considered rude even if you're referring to a bundle of sticks you are carrying in your arms.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

10. - Top - End - #580

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    You know, I'm going to be the insensitive **** who doesn't know what is wrong with being curious about a person's origin. Clearly not as a lame pick-up line but to the point where you'd tell your nine year old not to ask about it.
    Is it something you'd ask also people who are in the local ethnic majority?

But mostly what's wrong is insisting after getting an answer like the name of a nearby city. Why would Brunhilde be "really" Lebanese? She doesn't have a Lebanese name, she doesn't speak the Lebanese or Maronite dialect of Arabic, she doesn't have a Lebanese accent, nothing has been said about her religion or lack thereof so she's unlikely to be a member of one of the mainstream Lebanese religions (Maronite or Eastern Orthodox Christian; Shia or Sunni Muslim; Druze) since they are not mainstream in North America and it would have come up, she has never commented on things happening in the Levant so she doesn't have any interest in that area of the world. There's nothing that connects her to Lebanon. She's not Lebanese.

And the idea that she's not local and is really from another part of the world that she has no connection to just because her skin is browner than the average is blatantly racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

11. - Top - End - #581
    Bugbear in the Playground

Being interested in other peoples history and origin (both personal and family wise) is perfectly normal in my opinion. When you do ask these questions unusually early in a conversation just because of someones looks is when it turns rude. This goes especially for countries with a lot of immigration like the US or Germany, where the answer to "Where are you from?" is usually something like "Oh, from <town near here>."

edit: ninja'd much more eloquently by Gez. Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to say.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2019-02-22 at 03:10 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

So, Jeph made a very bold statemnt today. I quote : "Graphs, they're cool".
    But how cool are we talking here? I think we need a graph to properly measure and compare the relative coolness of graphs and other cool things, like butts.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

13. - Top - End - #583

I see some experimentation going on with Brun's nose. I think it's a good thing. Yesterday's strip had something like that with Clint's nose.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I don't think it's related to you being insensitive, I just think your not a parent (right?). Nine years old is actually pretty old to start. Probably just when you have to have a more complex discussion and explain it well. Right about when your child starts being verbal, they will start saying things* like, 'Mommy, why's that woman's skin so dark?,' or 'Daddy, why is that man wearing a funny hat?,' or, 'why are those two men kissing?' Children are a delight in that they are not intuitively judgmental of others based on the things that make them different from the child and their family, but they are trying to make sense of the world, and that tends to make them focus on differences. Differences, which, since a child's first interaction with strangers is usually in how they look, act, or what they wear, tends to be the stuff that causes a lot of adult hand wringing.
    *and given the guy who made the remarks to Brun, I am framing this from the perspective of a white American child of a heteronormative family, even though that that was not my own personal experience of child-raising question-asking.

So children don't naturally hate or fear people that are other, but they can do a great job of accidentally othering people. That Renee's hookup (who this time, I've genuinely forgotten the name of) was still doing that as a (physically) grown man is, for lack of a better term, a failure of rudimentary adulthood.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post

She seems to be reasonably high functioning, at least, although I know some fellow autistic folk who don't like that terminology.
    I just hope Jeph can do it justice. Back when it was Ambiguous Disorder, he had a little more safety net (although, as Big Bang Theory, mentioned in said link, found out, that safety net erodes as it becomes more and more obvious).

15. - Top - End - #585
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Yes, she's autistic all right. Second time one of his characters has actually stated being neurodivergent, instead of Emily/Raven's quirkiness.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

The whole "where are you from?" thing cuts both ways. Look at the stupid generic testing ads, and ethnic "identity" beliefs, and so on.

Just as there are people who will use the trivia of where someone's umpteen-back ancestors were from as a way to undercut or belittle or marginalize them, there are also people who fixate on where their own umpteen-back ancestors came from as if it's core to their "identity".

If your ancestors have been in the US for generations, you are not German or Irish or Chinese or Swahili or Martian, you're American. It's interesting where your ancestors were from, family history is a fascinating subject, maybe your family has traditions that it cherishes, that's all great stuff... but that doesn't make you "from X". If your grandparents were all born in the US, and your parents, and you as well, then the answer to "where are you from?" isn't someplace halfway around the world, it's "New Jersey" or "the Midwest" or "Oregon" or "America" or whatever.

As for whether it's offensive to ask...
    • It's not something you just ask a stranger or up front within 5 minutes of meeting someone.
    • There's a difference between saying "where are you from?", and "do you mind if I ask where your ancestors came from?" or something like that.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-02-22 at 10:20 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    The whole "where are you from?" thing cuts both ways. Look at the stupid generic testing ads, and ethnic "identity" beliefs, and so on.

Just as there are people who will use the trivia of where someone's umpteen-back ancestors were from as a way to undercut or belittle or marginalize them, there are also people who fixate on where their own umpteen-back ancestors came from as if it's core to their "identity".

If your ancestors have been in the US for generations, you are not German or Irish or Chinese or Swahili or Martian, you're American. It's interesting where your ancestors were from, family history is a fascinating subject, maybe your family has traditions that it cherishes, that's all great stuff... but that doesn't make you "from X".
    Maybe, but on the other hand, America doesn't have thousands of years of culture and heritage to look back on, unless you're descended from one of the tribes. In the grand scheme of things, we're a baby culture. Is it that unusual that we would look at our "parents" and inform our identities with that as well? I would never tell somebody that I actually was physically from Scotland, but my ancestors took that culture with them when they crossed the pond, and it hasn't just gone away. Heck, I could drive for an hour and run into a community of people who placed so much value on the culture they had that they've done their best to remain unchanging through the generations.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #588

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Maybe, but on the other hand, America doesn't have thousands of years of culture and heritage to look back on, unless you're descended from one of the tribes. In the grand scheme of things, we're a baby culture. Is it that unusual that we would look at our "parents" and inform our identities with that as well? I would never tell somebody that I actually was physically from Scotland, but my ancestors took that culture with them when they crossed the pond, and it hasn't just gone away. Heck, I could drive for an hour and run into a community of people who placed so much value on the culture they had that they've done their best to remain unchanging through the generations.
    Nothing wrong with keeping the culture of your ancestors alive and identifying accordingly. Brun for example seems to have no such ties to her ancestry and that what makes it weird to require her to identify as lebanese.

Similarly I would never ask any Irish to accept me as one of them. According to family history some ancestor emigrated from there during the Potato Famine, but there is no trace of Irish culture alive in the family. This is where claims of belonging to a culture become ridiculous, but I think that happens only in a few isolated cases.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Nothing wrong with keeping the culture of your ancestors alive and identifying accordingly. Brun for example seems to have no such ties to her ancestry and that what makes it weird to require her to identify as lebanese.

Similarly I would never ask any Irish to accept me as one of them. According to family history some ancestor emigrated from there during the Potato Famine, but there is no trace of Irish culture alive in the family. This is where claims of belonging to a culture become ridiculous, but I think that happens only in a few isolated cases.
    I will say in my case, I don't really know how many rocks would get thrown my way when it comes to the idea of claiming heritage. I do focus on Scottish heritage, and enjoy a lot of what I can find for Gaelic culture, but I wouldn't define myself as Scots-Canadian, or anything else. However, as mentioned previously, I sound foreign to most people, so I usually just say I'm British as a shorthand of avoiding the explanation.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

She finally actually said it.

Thank God. Now people can accept that the character portraying traditional autistic personality traits is an attempt to write an autistic character.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Being interested in other peoples history and origin (both personal and family wise) is perfectly normal in my opinion. When you do ask these questions unusually early in a conversation just because of someones looks is when it turns rude. This goes especially for countries with a lot of immigration like the US or Germany, where the answer to "Where are you from?" is usually something like "Oh, from <town near here>."
    I don't see how asking about someone's background is either rude or unusual. To me, it simply indicates interest in learning more about the person. And yes, I'll ask other white Americans where their ancestors came from. I'll grant, though, that it's not something that should come up right when you first meet someone, and that asking because you consider their looks exotic is, if not racist, at least insensitive.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    I'll grant, though, that it's not something that should come up right when you first meet someone, and that asking because you consider their looks exotic is, if not racist, at least insensitive.
    As someone who gets asked the question, yeah, I'm fine if someone I've known for a little while asks me. I'm usually okay with it earlier, too, though the context can definitely influence whether or not it's okay.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    As someone who gets asked the question, yeah, I'm fine if someone I've known for a little while asks me. I'm usually okay with it earlier, too, though the context can definitely influence whether or not it's okay.
    Hey baby, you look exotic, wanna work on foreign relations?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #594

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    I don't see how asking about someone's background is either rude or unusual. To me, it simply indicates interest in learning more about the person. And yes, I'll ask other white Americans where their ancestors came from. I'll grant, though, that it's not something that should come up right when you first meet someone, and that asking because you consider their looks exotic is, if not racist, at least insensitive.
    I am completely in agreement with you. Interest in someones background is normal, even a required politeness once you reach a certain level of acquaintance. It is only bad when you single out people based on their looks or their name, especially like Pumpkin in the comic as basically the first thing you say to them, following up with "No, I mean where are you really from." for bonus points.

~Augustus von Fabelrath~

25. - Top - End - #595

Imp

Is it weird that after reading today's strip, I just feel bad for the doctors?
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2019-02-22 at 05:19 PM.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

26. - Top - End - #596

Griffon

Eeehh... I'm kind of lost on what the message of today's comic is supposed to be.

Questionable Content: Which has put countless strips into discussing the orientation of straight/gay/bi/asexual/robosexual characters, with extensive focus on "what they might be" according to internal and external perceptions.

Questionable Content: Which has explored racism, prejudice, privilege and the likes through various Very Special Episodes.

Questionable Content: Wherein the author has gone out of his way to include as many different archetypes of racial, sexual and neurodivergent characters as possible, up to and including threatening to add more just to spite people who don't like the idea.

....And is just now saying that mentioning peoples' individual diversions and labelling them can be harmful? I know that's probably not what he's trying to do, but thats pretty much how it reads to me and it doesn't sound particularly self-aware. To be honest, it rings kind of hollow.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-02-22 at 06:24 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

27. - Top - End - #597

Imp

I think the message is "don't use 'autistic' or 'autist' as an insult", which I'm on board with.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe you should see it as Brun talking about her experience, and not the comic saying anything in specific.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Sometimes, characters talking about stuff are just expressing their thoughts and opinions about it, not conveying a message from the author.

Unlike the raisin debacle, I think this leans far more towards letting the characters do their own talking.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

On a slightly different note, the current strip has me wondering just how common AIs are in the QC universe, and what the broader effects of having all these new people around would be. I mean, here we have Kevin, an embodied AI, working as a bank teller. That's an extremely ordinary job and it doesn't appear to relate to any special circumstances like May's convenience store work (which clearly relates to her legal situation, she had a far more high-end function before). Is the AI population of Northampton 5%, 10%? It's really unclear and it keeps getting stranger as time goes on how little detail exists surrounding this cataclysmic change in everyday life the strip presents.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting