New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1154 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Because they're Evil. V was already about to take the splice. They just wanted to twist the knife (different knife, of course).
    Really? You think these three gave V a chance to refuse, therefore endangered their plans, just for the evulz and that it wasn't as Qarr put it "A master class in temptation"?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    And Sending takes 10 minutes to cast.
    I didn't know that. That makes sense.
    You could just pretend that ten minutes pass between each panel.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't (I hope). But again I see an element of "I've come this far..."

Why do you think the Fiends manufactured a second option for them?
    To re-frame their decision-making process. It's not just about the actions, it's about the motivation. Making a deal with Evil to save your family, though not God, could be a argued as "doing what I needed to do". Making a deal with Evil for your own ego? Not so much. Whether or not the plan would have actually worked, as long as V THOUGHT it would've worked, THOUGHT they had another option, their decision became about ego, not about saving their children, thus shifting the motivation further towards Evil. Whether or not V needed the convincing, I don't know, although i'm wiling to bet they would Brahe taken the deal with or without the alternate plan presented. All it did was shift their motivation.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2019-01-31 at 02:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Really? You think these three gave V a chance to refuse, therefore endangered their plans, just for the evulz and that it wasn't as Qarr put it "A master class in temptation"?
    Again, V was already about to accept, was already sold. What were they tempting V with? All they did was force V to realize that it was for selfish reasons. I would say they knew V would take the deal no matter what, because of V's pride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crœsos View Post
    You could just pretend that ten minutes pass between each panel.
    That doesn't work when those ten minutes mean your family will be killed and Soul Bound.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-01-31 at 02:42 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    To re-frame their decision-making process. It's not just about the actions, it's about the motivation. Making a deal with Evil to save your family, though not God, could be a argued as "doing what I needed to do". Making a deal with Evil for your own ego? Not so much. Whether or not the plan would have actually worked, as long as V THOUGHT it would've worked, THOUGHT they had another option, their decision became about ego, not about saving their children, thus shifting the motivation further towards Evil.
    Exactly, and they wanted V to be more Evil, to be more honest about their motivation, because they wnted them to challenege Xykon, which would have had a lower chance of happening if V fooled themselves into thinking they were doing it selfelssly to save their family.
    Whether or not V needed the convincing, I don't know, although i'm wiling to bet they would Brahe taken the deal with or without the alternate plan presented. All it did was shift their motivation.
    There are two importants choices by V as far as the Fiends were concerned:
    1) Taking the deal and
    2) Attacking Xykon
    If V wasn't presented with the second option they would certainly take the deal, but there would be alower chance of them doing anything with it apart from killing the mother dragon. If V was presented with the second option there was a lower chance of them taking the deal but once taken there was a greater chance of them attacking Xykon.
    Forum Wisdom

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Exactly, and they wanted V to be more Evil, to be more honest about their motivation, because they wnted them to challenege Xykon, which would have had a lower chance of happening if V fooled themselves into thinking they were doing it selfelssly to save their family.

There are two importants choices by V as far as the Fiends were concerned:
    1) Taking the deal and
    2) Attacking Xykon
    If V wasn't presented with the second option they would certainly take the deal, but there would be alower chance of them doing anything with it apart from killing the mother dragon. If V was presented with the second option there was a lower chance of them taking the deal but once taken there was a greater chance of them attacking Xykon.
    O...K? What is your argument?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

O...K? What is your argument?
    Trance-deprivation lead V to believe the alternate plan was feasible which forced them to admit they weren't doing this selflessly which lead them to attack Xykon which was what the Fiends wanted.

Also, without the trance dprivation they might have had a better check on their worst desires and refuse the deal altogether but that is hard to tell especially since it would need to weighed against the dragon attack.

EDIT: And none of this excuses V, to be clear.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-01-31 at 02:51 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #218
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    "Loki sucks"

Imagine if the entire dwarven "hatred of trees" doctrine exists just because the stone mason needed a way to finish the phrase.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

V going after Xykon was a given, once the deal was accepted to save hir family.

V employing Familicide was not a given, but a deliciously Evil possibility that would clear the board of a powerful faction in the Gate race.

I interpret goading V as a purposeful tactic to increase the odds of Familicide, among other things.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Finally! A weapon that Xykon doesn't have resistance to.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

V isn't trancing to learn new spells, V is trancing to prepare their spells for the day
    That's still something they did while going without trance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kareasint View Post
    Whether it is the Hammer of Thunderbolts or just a Dwarven Thrower, it is still going to hurt when it makes contact.

If it is the Hammer and those are Gauntlets of Ogre Power, then Durkon will need a belt of Giant Strength. If one is not in the drawer, there is still one available.

But Roy would have to be willing to give it up.
    Shouldn't be hard. Roy seems like the type who'd be willing to give up a moderate bonus in order to give an ally a major bonus.

V's trance is like a human's sleep. It's just rest, although elves have no downsides for not tracing, IIRC.
    Eh...reduced downsides. Those are not the eyes, complexion, and aim of a perfectly healthy elf.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    The Giant himself laid it out a long time ago:
    Those two statements don't seem to be contradictory, nor do they support one another. I suppose they're complementary, arguably...

Quote Originally Posted by Nith View Post
    It's funny that the inscription at Thor's statue heralds him as "Champion of killing trees" despite that being a Dwarven misconception.
    Who do you think made the statue?

Irrelevant. There was an immediate need that had to be addressed. Taking the deal was the only way* to save their family at that point, to the best of my knowledge.
    *i know we had a discussion in this the other day, and hey, I'm open to being wrong. All ears.
    I mean, there are actions V could take that theoretically could have saved her family, if things played out right. But there aren't any actions they could take that would probably save her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I would suggest that the trance deprivation was the primary factor in letting things get that far. Had V not been so exhausted, they would have been much less likely to abandon the fleet or, barring that, to lose to the ABD so badly (ie missing their dimensional anchor). The scenario would have been sufficiently different that the IFCC's deal would not be the only perceived way forward.
    1. Also, the black dragon explicitly said she was waiting for an opportunity when V was alone.
    2. On the other hand, the causality does not go Trance Deprivation —> Abandon Fleet. In fact, neither caused the other; they were both caused by V's guilt, feelings of impotence, etc.

That Vaarsuvius didn't require any warm milk to trance. The joke being that Vaarsuivus is less childlike than Elan.
    And also that Blackwing finds mammals disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I don't really see much of a distinction between "obviously they wouldn't drop it, they had what they always wanted" and "obviously they'd pick it up to begin with, it was what they always wanted."
    I can see a distinction dependant on context; e.g, if V also wanted to keep their family intact and didn't hav other business to attend to, there wouldn't be much reason to hold onto the splice (what, to feel powerful for a few more days?) and reason enough to drop it.

Because they're Evil. V was already about to take the splice. They just wanted to twist the knife (different knife, of course).
    That is neither true of all Evil beings, nor mutually-exclusive with wanting to encourage V to hold onto the splice.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    And also that Blackwing finds mammals disgusting.
    I mean, he's not wrong. Blackwing is still, however, a disgusting biophiliac.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    According to the Directors, it was 84% of a given.

V employing Familicide was not a given, but a deliciously Evil possibility that would clear the board of a powerful faction in the Gate race.

I interpret goading V as a purposeful tactic to increase the odds of Familicide, among other things.
    They did not foresee it, they were shocked by it.
    Also we don't know what exactly their plans are, but we know they want conflict. Eliminating one faction entirely does not help that goal.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I don't really see much of a distinction between "obviously they wouldn't drop it, they had what they always wanted" and "obviously they'd pick it up to begin with, it was what they always wanted."
    It is easier to hold to something you acquired while acting wrongly than to act wrongly to a acquire something. In the first case you can "the harm's already done, so why not enjoy the upside of it".
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-01-31 at 03:10 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #224
    Bugbear in the Playground

man that rivalry with loki reaches far....

15. - Top - End - #225
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't, because even the IFCC were clearly surprised by it when it happened. I also wouldn't assume that the IFCC had intimate knowledge of each gate, who was defending it, and how. They needed Sabine to inform them about their very existences, after all.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

I think as Woweedd said, its to further damn V. Should any contest be held for their soul, once dead the argument "It wasnt a fully councious desicion" wouldnt fly. That is besides the whole familicide thing, Just the "pact with devils" evil act.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by chy03001 View Post
    WHY?!

Why wasn't Elan in the room for this?!?!
    fair question

- His bardic training would have immediately given way the kind of artifact Durkon found. And it is supposed to come as a surprise at later Point?

I cant' think of any other reason at this point

sch
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pampukin View Post
    I think as Woweedd said, its to further damn V. Should any contest be held for their soul, once dead the argument "It wasnt a fully councious desicion" wouldnt fly. That is besides the whole familicide thing, Just the "pact with devils" evil act.
    Except, they don't really care about V's soul.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Finally! A weapon that Xykon doesn't have resistance to.
    Actually, liches are immune to electricity.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    fair question

- His bardic training would have immediately given way the kind of artifact Durkon found. And it is supposed to come as a surprise at later Point?

I cant' think of any other reason at this point

sch
    The reason I see is the joke about giving him a glass of milk in order for him to sleep...

Except, they don't really care about V's soul.
    They don't completely "don't care". It's a free soup or salad, after all.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

21. - Top - End - #231
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Who do you think made the statue?
    Yes, I know. I'm not stupid... I just still find it funny.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Nice touch with the gloves.
    That reminded me of an episode of a quaint old TV show, Lost in Space: The Space Vikings. In which Dr. Smith stumbles upon the gloves of Thor. And Thor's hammer. And Thor.

Hit youtube for clips, if you think you can stand the camp.
    Last edited by niklinna; 2019-01-31 at 03:32 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    Yup, probably going forward the world's easiest to hack password.
    But serves its purpose: after all, saying Loki sucks is blasphemy against their god, and what cleric would do that?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #234

What does that have to do with the trance deprivation, though? This whole thing is supposed to be an exploration of whether V would have accepted the deal without the trance deprivation. It sure seems like V would have accepted it under any condition, which is what the IFCC makes clear.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-01-31 at 03:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

What does that have to do with the trance deprivation, though? This whole thing is supposed to be an exploration of whether V would have accepted the deal without the trance deprivation. It sure seems like V would have accepted it under any condition, which is what the IFCC makes clear.
    It's possible that V would have been able to see that the alternate plan proposed by the IFCC was bogus were it not for the trance deprivation. I think that's what Fyraltari's arguing.

But I think it's also pretty clear that V would make the same decision even without trance deprivation if they were presented with a similar situation with two actually legitimate choices.

I think what's said here is also what can be said about the trance deprivation.

Edit: I'm talking about the part where if V blamed their actions on the trance deprivation, they'd die without acknowledging or repenting for their crime.
    Last edited by SilverCacaobean; 2019-01-31 at 03:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

People in an unhealthy state of mind (ie exhaustion here) tend to think less about their actions. It is hard to say that V would not have taken the deal if they had tranced properly, but I do think it played a part.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCacaobean View Post
    I think what's said here is also what can be said about the trance deprivation.

Edit: I'm talking about the part where if V blamed their actions on the trance deprivation, they'd die without acknowledging or repenting for their crime.
    Nobody said that being tranced deprived alleviated V's culpability. It was 100% V. But the same people can make different choices in different contextes. All I am saying is that the trance-deprivation is part of the explanation of V's actions, not an excuse for it.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-01-31 at 03:57 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #237
    Banned

It sure seems like V would have accepted it under any condition, which is what the IFCC makes clear.
    The question is, would Vaarsuvius have been in a position to accept the deal without being trance-deprived? Without being trance-deprived, she probably would not have left the fleet and thus probably would not have been attacked by the Ancient Black Dragon. Without being trance-deprived, she may not have expended so many high-level spells attempting to see off Qarr (incidentally, Vaarsuvius was emphatically not buying what Qarr was selling before the Ancient Black Dragon arrived), and thus would not have given the Ancient Black Dragon the opening she needed to attack. Relatedly, without being trance-deprived, she may have hit the Ancient Black Dragon with a dimensional anchor. Without being trance-deprived, she may not have asked Qarr to make a devil's bargain even after the Ancient Black Dragon's speech - if she hadn't, the Directors would not have been able to "intercede on [her] account."

Totality of the circumstances suggests that Vaarsuvius's trance-deprivation was an important factor in her behavior, if not a proximate cause of her decision or a mitigating factor in any moral judgment of that decision.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-01-31 at 04:02 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCacaobean View Post
    It's possible that V would have been able to see that the alternate plan proposed by the IFCC was bogus were it not for the trance deprivation. I think that's what Fyraltari's arguing.
    But that doesn't matter, because V was already going to take the deal.
    The question is, would Vaarsuvius have been in a position to accept the deal without being trance-deprived? Without being trance-deprived, she probably would not have left the fleet and thus probably would not have been attacked by the Ancient Black Dragon. Without being trance-deprived, she may not have expended so many high-level spells attempting to see off Qarr (incidentally, Vaarsuvius was emphatically not buying what Qarr was selling before the Ancieng Black Dragon arrived), and thus would not have given the Ancient Black Dragon the opening she needed to attack. Relatedly, without being trance-deprived, she may have hit the Ancient Black Dragon with a dimensional anchor. Without being trance-deprived, she may not have asked Qarr to make a devil's bargain even after the Ancient Black Dragon's speech - if she hadn't, the Directors would not have been able to "intercede on [her] account."

Totality of the circumstances suggests that Vaarsuvius's trance-deprivation was an important factor in her behavior, if not a proximate cause of her decision or a mitigating factor in any moral judgment of that decision.
    Now that is a much better way of looking at it. Though I still think V would have ultimately taken it even without the deprivation, if given the chance. Pride goeth before the fall.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-01-31 at 03:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This page best read with AC/DC - Thunderstruck playing in the background.

P.S. Damn, Durkon is now packing the power.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Devine artifacts ftw
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)