New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511

2. - Top - End - #512
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Q 257

is there a way to grant "share spells" to say a wild cohort, or some other kind of creature that happens to be your pal, but doesn't have the same progression as a animal companion/familiar?
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    Q 257

is there a way to grant "share spells" to say a wild cohort, or some other kind of creature that happens to be your pal, but doesn't have the same progression as a animal companion/familiar?
    A 257 Partial
    I’m on mobile so I’m not sure, but I think there’s a PrC in the same web article where Wild Cohort originated that gives what you’re looking for.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

4. - Top - End - #514
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    A 257 Partial
    I’m on mobile so I’m not sure, but I think there’s a PrC in the same web article where Wild Cohort originated that gives what you’re looking for.
    nope, wild cohort is it's own article, and unfortunately the archives are not search friendly (at least for me) if someone has a link however, that'd be great

**edit**

silverwood arcanist does for the cohort only, but not until it's 5th level, which would be ECL 11th, and entirely to late for my purposes
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-10-01 at 09:10 AM.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 258

Can Changeling with Racial Emulation feat shift into Warforged and take [warforged] feats?
    If yes - would those feats work in other shapes too?
    If no - why?

And, once again, bump Q 250 (although Q 216 was anwered)
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2019-10-01 at 10:04 AM.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 259

Can a Hagunemnon copy a creature's Martial Maneuvers / stances?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/hagunemnon.htm

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 259

Can a Hagunemnon copy a creature's Martial Maneuvers / stances?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/hagunemnon.htm
    Only if they're (Ex).

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Q 258

Can Changeling with Racial Emulation feat shift into Warforged and take [warforged] feats?
    If yes - would those feats work in other shapes too?
    If no - why?

And, once again, bump Q 250 (although Q 216 was anwered)
    Racial Emulation only lets you emulate humanoids.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    How is it wrong?
    Same reason disguise self can be on the assassin, fatemaker, and vigilante spell lists even though it's only listed as Bard 1, Sorcerer/Wizard 1, and Trickery 1 in its entry in the PHB. Specific beats general, and CAr is the primary source for the warmage spell list, not SpC.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Racial Emulation only lets you emulate humanoid
    Yes, I know it; but Warforged can become a Humanoid without stopping being Warforged (IIRR, three different ways).
    So, can Changeling emulate Humanoid Warforged and take [warforged] feats?

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I know it; but Warforged can become a Humanoid without stopping being Warforged (IIRR, three different ways).
    So, can Changeling emulate Humanoid Warforged and take [warforged] feats?
    No. There's no such race as "humanoid warforged".

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    No. There's no such race as "humanoid warforged".
    Yes.
    There is just "Warforged", and it stays "Warforged" - regardless of Type

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Yes.
    There is just "Warforged", and it stays "Warforged" - regardless of Type
    If you have a follow-up question, it should get a new number; if you want to debate the answer, that seems like a matter for a separate thread.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Q 250

Can eyeless creature - such as Grimlock - benefit from eye grafts?
    If yes - would it be able to see with the newly grafted eyes?

Also, one possible side-effect from healing in a place affected by Far Realm is to grow an eye in place of your wound (it's RAW); will it be possible to replace such eye(s) with a graft and benefit from it?

And bump to my Q 216!
    A 250

I'll do my best to answer, but I'm not terribly confident on this.

There doesn't seem to be any actual anatomical requirements for grafts. I can't find any general text in Fiend Folio or Lords of Madness or Libris Mortis that says you have to put grafts in a certain location, or you have to have a built-in anatomical ability to use a graft. Magic of Eberron defines general body areas where grafts are applied, but also doesn't seem to require anything more specific than that.

So, to me, it looks like you don't need eyes in order to get an eye graft (in general).

Some specific grafts have text that might be restrictive though, like the "gazing eye" Beholder graft from Fiend Folio, which says the eye replaces an existing eye. So, maybe you'd have trouble adding that to a grimlock. But, other grafs, like the "charming eye" Fiendish graft from FF, doesn't mention any sort of restrictions on placement.

There are also a couple Beholder grafts that add eyes, like the "eye stalk" and "third eye" grafts from FF. They don't specifically say you can see with them, so that's probably down to a DM call. But I don't see any specific text that forbids you from getting extra eyes grafted on, and then replacing them with a different eye graft. And I also don't see any text forbidding you from using aberrant eyes from the Far Realm healing, either.

Personally, as a DM, I would ask a player not to milk it too hard, but it does seem like RAW doesn't prevent you from applying grafts in this sort of "unconventional" way.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    How is it wrong?
    The Spell Compendium says that it only deals with the spell lists of the core classes (see the "Other Spellcasting Classes" section on page 3), so it specifically is not an authoritative source for non-Core spell lists.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q#260

For Paragnostic Apostle lists Knowledge (Nature) as the requirement for Humanoids, when the Knowledge associated with Humanoids is Knowledge (Local) and not Knowledge (Nature).

Discern Weakness: Choose one creature type or subtype from the ranger’s favored enemy list (PH 47). If you have 8 ranks in the appropriate Knowledge skill (such as Knowledge [arcana] for dragons, or Knowledge [nature] for humanoids), the save DC of every spell that you target on a creature of that type increases by 1. You can select this ability multiple times, choosing a different creature type each time.
    Local (legends, personalities, inhabitants, laws, customs, traditions, humanoids)
    I checked the errata's and it doesn't appear it was ever updated. Is this the case and Knowledge (Nature) would benefit me for both Humanoids and Monstrous Humanoids or would I have to go into Knowledge (Local) to get Humanoids?
    Last edited by Afghanistan; 2019-10-03 at 01:08 AM.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 260 Knowledge Local.

Good catch, (when I think of the number of times I have read that without noticing...) Looking at the text, it does actually contain the answer to your questions:
    Quote Originally Posted by Complete Champion
    Discern Weakness: Choose one creature type or subtype from the ranger’s favored enemy list (PH 47). If you have 8 ranks in the appropriate Knowledge skill (such as Knowledge [arcana] for dragons, or Knowledge [nature] for humanoids), the save DC of every spell that you target on a creature of that type increases by 1. You can select this ability multiple times, choosing a different creature type each time.
    The reference to know. nature is bracketed and proceeded with the words "such as", this means that it is not the rule, it is an (incorrect) explanation of the rule. At this point the 'specific v. general' rule doesn't need to apply - the PHB's rules on which knowledge skills apply to which creature type remain the only actual rules and know. local is the skill for humanoids.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2019-10-03 at 09:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

Q261: can melee touch attack abilities such as those from the lightning gauntlets soulmeld be used to make an attack of opportunity?
    Last edited by DeTess; 2019-10-03 at 05:15 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

A261 No. Using things like lightning gauntlets specifically requires a standard action, which you do not have while making an aoo.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

A 261 additional

Touch attacks that don't require an action to activate, such as holding the charge on a spell, can be used for an AoO.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

q262 If I have a +6 BAB and a viper (serpent kingdoms) scourge with 3 vipers, as a full attack action, do i get only 3 attacks or 6? Alternatively, If i have flurry of blows with that scourge, do i have 6 attacks?

Viper: Upon command, a viper weapon transforms its blade or lash into a viper one size category smaller than the wielder for which it is sized. For example, the blade of a greatsword sized
    for a Large character temporarily becomes a Medium viper, while the blade of a dagger sized for a Small character temporarily becomes a Tiny viper. The wielder of a viper weapon uses his own attack bonus or that of the viper, whichever is higher, when making an attack with the transformed weapon. The damage dealt is always equivalent to the base damage for the bite attack of the appropriate kind of viper, plus the weapon’s enhancement bonus and any other applicable modifiers. A successful attack also delivers the viper’s poison. When thus transformed, viper weapons are always treated as piercing weapons. This ability can be applied up to three times to a scourge, with each application converting one lash into a viper. When a viper scourge is used with an attack action, only one viper can attack; when it is used with a full attack action, all three can attack.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 263: If a human cast Disguise Self, can he look like a raptoran? Or would adding wings count as changing body type?

Q 264: If a two-armed human casts Disguise Self, can he look like a one-armed human?

Q 265: If a one-armed human casts Disguise Self, can he look like a two-armed human?

Q 266: Can a changeling use Minor Change Shape to look like a raptoran? Or would adding wings count as changing body type?

Q 267: Can a two-armed changeling use Minor Change Shape to look like a one-armed human?

Q 268: Can a one-armed changeling use Minor Change Shape to look like a two-armed human?
    Last edited by Maat Mons; 2019-10-04 at 02:03 AM.

20. - Top - End - #530

Note: when you have string of closely related questions like this, the usage it more to conflate them into one unique question number with sub-sections A, B, C, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Q 263: If a human cast Disguise Self, can he look like a raptoran? Or would adding wings count as changing body type?
    A 263:
    Indeed, "winged humanoid" is a different body type from "plain humanoid", so a raptoran is not a legit appearance for a human through disguise self. You need stronger magic, like alter self, to add appendages.

Note the reverse is also true: a raptoran casting disguise self can look like any kind of winged humanoid (avariel, angel, succubus), but not make the wings disappears altogether.

The following questions are trickier. I know how I'd adjudicate them as GM, but I can't swear this is 100% RAW.

Q 264: If a two-armed human casts Disguise Self, can he look like a one-armed human?
    A 264:
    Disguise self is an illusion. It can change rather radically the appearance, including equipment. It stands also to reason that it can make parts of the body invisible, since it can make you look up to 1 foot smaller (thus the taller head need to be unseen). So yes, I'd say a one-armed appearance would be within the spell's capacity. The arm is still there, of course, and the caster must be careful not to knock something with it and reveal the trickery.

Q 265: If a one-armed human casts Disguise Self, can he look like a two-armed human?
    A 265:
    Similarly, since it is illusory, adding an arm where there is none should be within what the spell can do. Having the hand move naturally, now, is another question entirely. Since there is no fingers to guide the illusion, the fake hand might very well look inert. And it will go through solid items if you're not careful, again revealing the trickery to anyone observant enough.

Q 266: Can a changeling use Minor Change Shape to look like a raptoran? Or would adding wings count as changing body type?
    A 266:
    Same answer as 263. Minor Change Shape has key differences with disguise self, but it follows the same basic limitations. A changeling cannot gain appendages with it.

Q 267: Can a two-armed changeling use Minor Change Shape to look like a one-armed human?
    A 267:
    That's where it gets tricky. Minor Change Shape is not an illusion but a physical change, concerning the body only (not equipment), so I'd say seemingly removing a limb goes beyond the "minor physical alteration" allowed by the power. Unlike with the illusory spell, a changeling can't fake amputation.

Q 268: Can a one-armed changeling use Minor Change Shape to look like a two-armed human?
    A 268:
    Likewise, regrowing a limb goes beyond the "minor physical alteration" the power allow. An amputated changeling can still take many shapes, but those will stay one-armed.

And yes, since the power doesn't involve any healing, any visible wound probably won't be hidden by it, making it harder to fake an identity. That's a big limitation of the ability.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2019-10-04 at 06:39 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #531

Q 269

How does a character diagnose whatever ailment another is suffering from, and what spell is more adequate to heal?

PCs usually know what hit them, but with NPCs (or any unconscious individual), how do you determine whether they've been wounded, poisoned, drained, diseased, cursed, etc., and the most adequate healing spell to the situation?

A) Is there any RAW usage of the Heal skill that covers this?

B) Is there any spell or power you'd know that allow it?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2019-10-04 at 06:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #532
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 270: How does the ability score changes from Wild Shape interact with Ability Drain? Constitution especially.

For example, a Master of Many Forms in the form of a Troll, with an Amulet of Health +4 Has a Con of 27, but did not get any hp from Wild Shape resetting his Con to 23. What happens if he gets Drained of, say, 10 Con? Is the Drain an ongoing penalty, does it get reset every time he wild shapes, does the Wild Shape Con work as temp hp, or does it affect his normal Con ignoring the Wild Shape ? Does he lose hp as his Con falls even if he did not get hp from that Con originally?
    Last edited by Grim Reader; 2019-10-04 at 06:54 AM.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 270

In the case of touch spells whose charge is being held and that allows/requires decisions about the spells function to be made (e.g. bestow curse), at what point does the caster make said decisions? When casting spell spell, or when discharging it?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

A270 like targeting a 1 round casting time spell, you can put off these decisions til the last second since circumstances may change. you can and probably should make decisions when you discharge it since your primary target might've been dropped or protected themselves from your planned avenue of attack or what have you.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

25. - Top - End - #535

Lizardfolk

Q271
    Are there rules for Hardness/Hp of Wondrous Items?
    Not Weapons or Armour, but things like Amulets or Cloaks or Rings.
    Is it just based off the material they're made out of, or does the magic increase it at all?
    I know items worn by a player aren't usually affected, but I'm entering a situation where they can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    What legacy do we leave, after all, but those quotes that others have sigged?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

Take your forklift safety seriously, kids. You'll lose, every time.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

A271 No, you just default to the hardness of th ematerials for unattended magical items that can't be sundered like held can.

Iron Chef Medals!

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 269

How does a character diagnose whatever ailment another is suffering from, and what spell is more adequate to heal?

PCs usually know what hit them, but with NPCs (or any unconscious individual), how do you determine whether they've been wounded, poisoned, drained, diseased, cursed, etc., and the most adequate healing spell to the situation?

A) Is there any RAW usage of the Heal skill that covers this?

B) Is there any spell or power you'd know that allow it?
    A 269

The expanded use of the Heal skill in Complete Adventurer (pg. 101) allows using Heal to determine cause of death, but it doesn't specifically say that it can be used to determine cause of malady in someone who hasn't died yet. It is a reasonable interpolation, but there is not specific rules text for it. That is, however, the closest I have found.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q272: Is there a Enspell Familiar equivalent or similar feat(shorter range, conditional) for psicrystals?
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

Q273

Checking:
    Is a two-handed creature with a slam attack prevented from using the slam with a two handed weapon?
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

30. - Top - End - #540

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    q262 If I have a +6 BAB and a viper (serpent kingdoms) scourge with 3 vipers, as a full attack action, do i get only 3 attacks or 6? Alternatively, If i have flurry of blows with that scourge, do i have 6 attacks?
    A 262

My interpretation is that you'd get 1 bite attack with a standard action, or 3 bite attacks in a full attack. I think there's some wiggle room there to interpret it as giving you 3 bites per iterative attack in a full attack, though.