New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Banned

Default Re: OOTS #1164 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tiiba View Post
    Do we HAVE to kill the death worm? He's too much fun.
    No, we don't. The objective was stated in the first panel: clear a path for Durkon and the other dwarves. That can be accomplished any number of ways, only one or which is killing the nightcrawler.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    No, we don't. The objective was stated in the first panel: clear a path for Durkon and the other dwarves. That can be accomplished any number of ways, only one or which is killing the nightcrawler.
    True, that's their primary objective. However, their secondary objective is "stay alive", and the evidence is that their chances of doing so would be impaired by any solution that left the GDW aliv--- uh, animate and able to attack them further.

That pretty much narrows down their options to ki--- gah, destroy it; or dump it down the chasm. The latter carries the high probability of dwarfs happening upon it later and being rendered life-impaired.

So, I'm gonna go wi' "yup, it needs ended".
    Last edited by Reboot; 2019-05-21 at 08:05 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Why did Rock Priest Guy even have a scroll of Horrid Wilting to begin with? 🤔
    He's a dwarf. Horrid Wilting does additional damage to plants. Case Closed.
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2019-05-21 at 08:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64

This is just levels of awesome. And kudos to Belkar for figuring out that the cleric would have to step out from the barrier to cast anything.

The puns, however... Epic Level Punnage.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I forget what the orange barrier does, but I'm assuming the order can't just barge through it, otherwise belker would just go after the vampire and kill it for mocking his latest strategy. Could someone refresh my memory on what the barriers do? I honestly can't remember, and I'm not able to quickly look for it by sifting through all the comics currently.

I'm not sure anyone can insta vamp another body, but I'm assuming the spell died when roy broke the staff before throwing it at the current HPOH.

Even if another vampire had learned how to do it, I'd consider it poor story telling for durkon to become a vampire again and have the new or recycled spirit reject hel.

Though I do think that perhaps a vampire attending the latest vote could get cold feet and reject hels orders out of self preservation, not out of spite or anything of that nature. Vampires are supposed to be some what self serving abominations after all, and a god asking me to essentially kill myself in a world destroying cataclysm where my spirit is sent to the negative energy realm and supposedly destroyed does not sound ideal for a vampire who's sole perk is that they are immortal unless slain or killed by the sun.

well, its not the sole perk, but you get what I mean.
    Vae Victus!

6. - Top - End - #66

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by WolvesbaneIII View Post
    I forget what the orange barrier does, but I'm assuming the order can't just barge through it, otherwise belker would just go after the vampire and kill it for mocking his latest strategy. Could someone refresh my memory on what the barriers do?.
    *dispels ongoing magical effects
    *blocks non-dwarves from entering
    *blocks line of sight for spells

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

I'm enjoying the puzzle of this combat, despite Roy's desire to just have a regular fight, they're going to have to work through all the obstacles here and it's looking interesting.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    He's a dwarf. Horrid Wilting does additional damage to plants. Case Closed.
    Can we get an upvote system? Because this needs to be upvoted.

(Insert Orson Welles furiously clapping gif.)

If the LDW's dwell time on the Prime is eternal, then yeah, it'll have to be killed, I'd think. Can't leave that running around Dwarven towns. You thought the Balrog was bad...

If it's only here for awhile longer, breaking open the ceiling and letting sunlight in should be enough to take care of its threat.

The more powerful a threat is, often times the more intelligent. Intelligent beings usually have a reason for doing something, and if charismatic enough, they might get you to think they have a point. Or at least hesitate before sending it back to Hel.

I like how the Giant has characterized the various Evil entities in his writing. Each different, and all usually very interesting.
    Last edited by Ghosty; 2019-05-21 at 09:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

This seems like a high water mark for Belkar and emotional maturity. Not a high bar, but still I know plenty of RPG groups that don't get as far as he has.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

So if anybody's also wondering, "White Wolfed" refers to White Wolf, the publishers of the Vampire: The Masquerade RPG.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Giant Death Worm understands. You can't just instantly weaponize your emotional catharsis, Belkar. There's a lot of setup that you just can't get off the fly.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Horrid Wilting is a great spell. Unless it's being used against you or your allies. Nice job, Belkar. No, really, that was good.
    I am... no one.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

@ratfox - Is it saying the White Wolf were a publishing company (that did Vampire the Masquerade) that were taken over and the heart or soul ripped out of it by sacking the staff?
    Or
    Is it a reference to Michael Moorcock ?
    Either way the joke is brilliant

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Huh, I guess he's Neutral now.

But seriously, I suppose if illusory Belkar would refer to Vaarsuvius as "Elf buddy" without V correcting him, actual Belkar referring to Durkon as a buddy after everything they've been through to this point makes sense.
    I mean, that whole speech was meant to be sarcasm about V's methods, plus it's not like V was in the mood to lecture Elan on the finer aspects of writing in-character dialogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

15. - Top - End - #75

"White Wolfed" in this case would mean getting vampirized, renovator. Which is the start of a game for VtM.

And Wolvesbane, the vampires already figured out the instant vamp spell, and used repeatedly outside the Thor Temple.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dmc91356 View Post
    Something just occurred to me. My D&D days are way behind me, but isn't Horrid Wilting a mage spell? Wouldn't that mean that the vampire cleric that used to be the exarch needed to put some skill points into Use Magic Device or something like that (3.x was never my strongpoint)?
    I've been wondering about that too. Sure, it's a Water domain spell... but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a cleric of the Creed of Stone probably doesn't get the Water domain.
    "All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow

17. - Top - End - #77

Or Rich isn't bothering to stress about the minutia of an old rules system any more.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Got to love Belkar "Feel at him"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    So, what is horrid willow actually supposed to be?
    Well, one of the nicknames I use throughout the Internets is "Jayelwillow" (because I look a lot like the eponymous character, Willow, from the film).

And some people here find me quite horrid.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I mean it's not a bad idea. If Durkon would have told the Order in more detail exactly how he overthrew the vampire, it makes sense that the rest of the imprisoned souls could do the same thing.
    It was definitely worth the attempt--if Gontor had succeeded at subverting his vampire spirit, then it would have left the vampires without their leader who knew all of the details of their plan (some details which he had not yet revealed to his followers). Even if the odds of success were low, the potential payoff was high and the cost of a failure (as opposed to not even trying it) was low.

Also, Belkar has succeeded in stopping the Exexarch from casting any more spells outside of the barrier, which means that he is out of this part of the battle, though his statement that he has "spells to cast in here" implies that he will be setting up for the next part of the battle, where the dwarves of the Thundershield group will be facing him while the rest of the Order remain outside.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Belkar might be changing for real now instead of just pretending too. Guess his last days are almost over now. And the Death Worm seems pretty understanding when it comes to feelings which is a surprise to be sure.

22. - Top - End - #82

Kobold

Huh, I guess the creed of stone was worried about water elementals so they gave Gontor that scroll as a precaution.
    Its so nice to see the team working toghether.
    Just hope bringing squishy Elan melee is a smart move.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

Belkar really is on his game. One moment thwarting a rather nasty looking spell while playing the long game and not getting distracted by the current argy bargy. He's the one that's thinking outside the box in this strip.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    And Wolvesbane, the vampires already figured out the instant vamp spell, and used repeatedly outside the Thor Temple.
    Or was it just Durkon? After all, he learned the spell from the staff...

Quote Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
    It was definitely worth the attempt--if Gontor had succeeded at subverting his vampire spirit, then it would have left the vampires without their leader who knew all of the details of their plan (some details which he had not yet revealed to his followers). Even if the odds of success were low, the potential payoff was high and the cost of a failure (as opposed to not even trying it) was low.
    Wouldn't have stopped the end of the world, as the dominated dwarves would still vote yes on the main proposal... Whatever that will be...

So if the proposal is "Shall Dvalin stop the end of the world?" everything is fine

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    Or was it just Durkon? After all, he learned the spell from the staff
    No, the human vampire said she used a lot of spell slots raising the spawns.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

26. - Top - End - #86

DwarfFighterGuy

Should Belkar be tapping his head with his dagger like that in panel seven? I mean, what is it, plus five?!

Health & safety folks!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I cant stop laughing right now.

Teaches me right for looking at the strip when I'm at work

28. - Top - End - #88

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Blatt View Post
    Should Belkar be tapping his head with his dagger like that in panel seven? I mean, what is it, plus five?!

Health & safety folks!
    I know, right!
    Rich should put a disclaimer.
    Do not try this at home!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Health & safety folks!
    I don’t think Belkar has any kind of dagger discipline.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Health & safety folks!
    Maybe that's why he won't live to see old age?
    He will not have his next birthday cake because he dies cutting it into pieces?