New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Could 90s Music suck any more?

Here are some albums which I think are great from the 90s off the top of my head:

Spoiler
    Show
    Daft Punk: Homework
    Carl Craig: More Songs about Food and Revolutionary Art, Progrmmed (as Innerzone Orchestra)
    Smashing Pumpkins: Siamese Dream
    Radiohead: The Bends, OK Computer
    Aphex Twin: Selected Ambient Works 1 and 2, I Care Because You Do, Richard D. James Album
    Autechre: Tri Repetae, LP5
    Black Dog: Bytes, Spanners
    Plastikman:
    Nas: Illmatic
    Outkast: ATLiens, Aquemini
    The Flaming Lips: Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
    Mogwai: Young Team
    Pavement: Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
    Moodymann: Silentintroduction
    Sigur Ros: Aegaetis Byrjun (?)
    Blur: 13
    Plastikman: Musik
    Company Flow: Funcrusher Plus
    Nirvane: In Utero
    Pearl Jam: Ten
    Massive Attack: Blue Lines

and so on...

Now, while I admit that a large number of these albums are not rock, which you seem to prefer, you can see that there are a lot of great albums in there.

I'm sure there are loads more I haven't thought of or which I simply haven't heard of yet (I wasn't really properly listening to music until late in the decade), and I deliberately left off the various great albums made by artists who had been around during previous decades (e.g. Depeche Mode, Neil Young).

So basically I think that you're doing 90s music an injustice by stressing the rubbish that was coming out at the same time. Still, I don't envy you having to listen to that 90s pop station

EDIT: I just saw Jorkens' post- must have missed it when I sacnned the thread the 1st time- but I coul have just said "I agree with Jorkens", as he summed up my feelings perfectly.
    Last edited by TMTree; 2007-10-08 at 01:02 PM.
    I smell dead people.

Minion of a being of pure malice and chaos since 2007

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't really think my (or anyone's) age should be the discussion of this thread as that leaves it open to comments like "Oh, well that's just the taste of a middle-aged/teenaged/senior/child."
    if you really want to know how old I am I can PM you...

Yes, I do prefer Rock, but I'm not dead set in the genre. I also like a lot of metal, blues, jazz, some rap, and other stuff.

They played Free Falling today. That's probably the best song they've played on that station. Then again they also played Can't Touch This so they lost all right to take themselves seriously.

OK, music is about taste. Some people may like music that I consider crap. Often times I can see why they are drawn to it and most of the time I feel sorry for them. OK, seriously, if you like it that's your thing; whatever floats your boat, but I still reserve the right to think it's crap.

"OMG ur so dum u only liek teh guitar!"
    (Sorry, I know that's not what anyone in this thread said exactly, but I'm just so tired of this line.)

A lot of people have made crappy music with guitars. Some people have made really good music without guitar. There is a certain amount of taste involved here.
    I wont lie; I like the sound of a guitar being played well. That doesn't mean that I decide which music I like based solely upon what instruments are being played.

I agree with horseboy that the corporate aspect to music has decreased the general quality of, at the very least, music that gets famous.

OM, I have one simple question for you: what's your favourite genre of music?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    You are a god
    Many thanks to Bisected8 for the Jokertar.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

I liked:
    Nine Inch Nails(Both their non-S&M songs and their S&M songs), Alice in Chains, Marilyn Manson (first two albums), Candle Box, Rage Against the Machine, Rammstein, and Stone Temple Pilots. And that's just the stuff you could hear on the radio. I like all kinds of other stuff from the 90s that MTV never got their filthy paws on…

What I disliked about the 90s:

Alternative music paradoxically became main-stream. Shortly after it turned to crap… Oh that and rap, I can respect some 80s rap, but the 90s stuff just kills brain cells.
    Praise Caine! Hail Sabbat!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

The 90s is basically when I found new respect for certain 80s music and got into many indie bands my fiancee liked. I haven't read every post but I haven't seen Barenaked Ladies mentioned. The 90s were pretty good to them. Otherwise, the 90s do seem like a blur to me and I can't name nearly as many 'great' songs as I can from the 60s, 70s and 80s. Seems like it was the decade of the reunions of 70s bands.

Pop, is just that, popular. It flashes in the pan because it's catchy but eventually unmemorable. Since the dawn of rock, there have been one hit wonders. Yeah, many of us are familiar with some classic hits from the 60s, but if you took a walk down the Billboard Charts from any year in the 60s, would you remember all those songs? (Ok, the answer is, quite possibly. I just looked at the top 50 songs of 1965 and was amazed that I knew over 80% of them. Dang that was a good decade.) Definitely there were more songs from 1965 that I would want on my mp3 player than from 1995. 90s sucked, case closed.
    Pirate Motto:
    Wherever you go,
    There you arrrr.

5. - Top - End - #65

From what I can gather, a large number of people here actually hate '90s mainstream music primarily because they have elected to despise the entirety of nearly every genre of music. This would generally cut down your appreciation of nearly every decade, especially the ones in which you have lived; many people find that "70s music was better" now because they may pick and choose what of that music they listen to, more. There are a large number of bands in any era, and many who cherish the '70s rock scene neglect the very large amount of terrible music created during that decade. I mean, for those lambasting dance and techno, how do you defend the large record sales of disco during the '70s as any better? If you choose to only listen to music in the genres you like from Decade A, but grew up in Decade B, thereby hearing by chance on the airwaves music of all its genres, you will prefer Decade A because of your artifically narrowed sample size.

I happen to like a lot of music made in the '90s. I don't know in relevance to other decades, as I do not, (in contrast, evidently, to many), make elaborate charts of what percentage of a decade's music I like based on Network Theory. Much of what became the indie scene, notably, exploded, as did the Finnish popular music scene along with the Scandanavian scene in general.

Was Black Metal a '90s creation, though? If so, that was pretty unfortunate, if taken seriously. Ah, Mayhem, such ridiculousness as yours I have never known.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Any decade of music is mostly crap, with the really good music standing the test fo time. IMO, people remember former decades of music as being better because the dross suck out of memory a long time ago.

With that said, dismissing an entire decade of music based on a sample of Sirius music? That's...wow.

Also, for all the rap haters out there, I'd question how much rap you've ACTUALLY listened too...there's more than one genre of rap...it's not all the mainstream gangsta sound. But I suppose that's too much work to find out.
    You say "Cheesy" like it's a bad thing.

7. - Top - End - #67

I think the same is true for haters of any entire genre. There are few genres, if any, without anything good to offer. In my opinion, anyway. Maybe I just have very low standards. My friends have mentioned it, but they weren't talking about music. . .

8. - Top - End - #68
    Banned

They Might Be Giants and Weird Al did a lot of good work in the 90's.

'nuff said.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

To be perfectly honest, I love 90's music. I get excited when my mixed station plays Counting Crows, REM, the Goo Goo Dolls, Less than Jake, and Smashing Pumpkins (among others that I'd go "Oh, yeah, I forgot about them, but, man, they were good!" upon hearing).
    As others have said, there's always some suckage in any decade of music, its just that you only remember the best songs.
    In thirty years, I'll bet people will look back on the 90's and think its amazing, and wonder why their modern music doesn't hold the nature that the 90's did, the same way we look back on the 70's.

Or maybe this is just wishful thinking of someone who looks on the 90's nostalgically.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Pfft! Slayer-Seasons in the Abyss, October 1990. Thereby making all anti-90s music arguments null and void! Begone with your NonSense!
    Richard Baker is Hitler reincarnated...anybody that thinks the 4e realms is a good idea should be shot out of a cannon into a brick wall.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree that the 90s sucked for music, so far I'm not too impressed with 2000 either.

When I was a teenager in the 90s I never listened to music, I thought it all sucked and there was no good music at all. Once I discovered the 60s and 70s I realised that it wasn't all music, just the stuff that was being made then.

Of course there are exceptions and some good music came out of the 90s (though I would disagree with most of the suggestions posted here) but there wasn't a lot of it. Even if you consider just picking out the good music from the 90s, distilling all the bad out over time like what generally happened in the 60s and 70s (and a lesser extent in the 80s) I think you would find a lot less music worth listening to. Not even counting what percentage of the total music produced, but the simple number of great albums/songs it would be a lot less then other decades.
    20 years from now I bet there will be more people still listening to more music from the 60s and 70s then from the 90s and '00s

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Lycurgus View Post
    Pfft! Slayer-Seasons in the Abyss, October 1990. Thereby making all anti-90s music arguments null and void! Begone with your NonSense!
    How does another mediocre and irrelevant Slayer album render 90s music arguments null and void?

Piece of Time, Coma of Souls, Rust in Peace, Dances of Death (and other walking Shadows) or Spiritual Healing, on the other hand
    Last edited by Lord of the Helms; 2007-10-19 at 03:43 PM.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    so far I'm not too impressed with 2000 either.
    The 00'ies should better bring something truly incredible before 2010 - to make up for Avril Lavigne.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

14. - Top - End - #74

All things considered, Avril Lavigne gets fall overrated when it comes to derision. I mean, pretending to be punk at a time the movement was not even popular and when literally no-one was fooled is rather silly, but beyond that she doesn't have a grating voice or truly terrible instrumentation and plays slightly-less-soulless-than-is-usual teen pop. These three traits, or even if you only believe only two are true, puts he well above a large portion of music. She's one of those people who will simply be forgotten as something of a folly in future decades, not some sort of smudge on the decade's record.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    The 00'ies should better bring something truly incredible before 2010

They have

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76

I submit the awesomeness of Vanilla Ice and the Ninja Turtles.

O! It’s the green machine -- Gonna rock the town without bein’ seen
    Have you ever seen a turtle Get Down? -- Slammin’ Jammin’ to the new swing sound
    Yeah, everybody let’s move -- Vanilla is here with the new Jack Groove
    Gonna rock, and roll this place -- With the power of the ninja turtle bass
    Iceman, ya know I’m not playin’ -- Devistate the show while the turtles are sayin:

Ninja, Ninja, RAP! Ninja, Ninja, RAP!
    GO GO GO
    Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO; Go Ninja, Go ninja, GO!
    Go Ninja, Go Ninja. GO; Go Ninja, Go ninja, GO!
    GO GO GO GO

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VeisuItaTyhjyys View Post
    All things considered, Avril Lavigne gets fall overrated when it comes to derision. I mean, pretending to be punk at a time the movement was not even popular and when literally no-one was fooled is rather silly, but beyond that she doesn't have a grating voice or truly terrible instrumentation and plays slightly-less-soulless-than-is-usual teen pop. These three traits, or even if you only believe only two are true, puts he well above a large portion of music. She's one of those people who will simply be forgotten as something of a folly in future decades, not some sort of smudge on the decade's record.
    Actually, she gained my sincerest loathing by the content and, especially, video of that "I don't like your girlfriend" song.
    Great message you got there, Miss Lavigne. Great message indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Helms View Post
    That's a good beginning, at any rate.
    And, thank you. I had not heard this before, and it is awesome indeed.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

18. - Top - End - #78

That's a good beginning, at any rate.
    And, thank you. I had not heard this before, and it is awesome indeed.
    ... I take it no one reads my signature

Still, great to have another convert . Pharaoh has quickly become one of my favorite bands, and probably my favorite band currently around. They manage to embody everything power metal should be so damn perfectly

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The 90s most definitely do not suck. Lots of my favorite music was around in the 90s. A list of generally good bands that I enjoy listening to from the 90s:

Beck
    Five Iron Frenzy
    Some of Flaming Lips
    Mad Caddies
    Mother Hips
    Radiohead
    Reel Big Fish
    Spoon
    Wilco
    !!!
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

20. - Top - End - #80

Actually, she gained my sincerest loathing by the content and, especially, video of that "I don't like your girlfriend" song.
    Great message you got there, Miss Lavigne. Great message indeed.
    I still hardly find it worth loathing, especially considering you're taking by far the worst (and that's still relatively harmless), most serious meaning you could have out of the video. The song, itself, really, has very little content; it's a silly yob chant about wanting a guy with a girlfriend. The video's just a continued collection of slapstick humor you have decided to view as some moral statement about torturing the physically unattractive (from watching the video just right now, and not having seen it before, so this is hardly an in-depth study, my take was that the girlfriend wasn't supposed to be ugly, she was supposed to look "square" or "preppy" or what-have-you). Anyway, I find saying the video has a serious "message" akin to saying the Three Stooges were anti-semitic because a Jewish guy got hurt all the time for peoples' amusement.

21. - Top - End - #81

Well, on the up side they haven't played that station at work for a while. it's been all the 80s station.
    Granted this is not the greatest music ever, the vast majority of it doesn't kill my brain as fast and some songs they play are actually...*gasp*...good.
    You are a god

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Mainstream 90'd music was bad.

But look at Silverchair, Kyuss, Morphine...
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

23. - Top - End - #83

OK, Morphine is really awesome. I mean, not one of my favourites, but still good music. In fact they might be the best "hey this 90s band was good" mentioned so far (I'm to lazy to check all the bands mentioned in this thread).

Interestingly enough: one of the 80s station's tag lines is "Not nearly as mind numbing." It's actually quite true (at east when compared to the 90s station).

For the record I'm sure you could set up a radio station playing music only form the 90s, not kill my brain (very much), and still have a decent selection. In fact I'm sure I'd even enjoy a lot of it. The people at Sirius 9 have terrible taste in music though (and the 90s aren't exactly the best selection of music to begin with anyway).
    You are a god

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VeisuItaTyhjyys View Post
    I still hardly find it worth loathing, especially considering you're taking by far the worst (and that's still relatively harmless), most serious meaning you could have out of the video. The song, itself, really, has very little content; it's a silly yob chant about wanting a guy with a girlfriend. The video's just a continued collection of slapstick humor you have decided to view as some moral statement about torturing the physically unattractive (from watching the video just right now, and not having seen it before, so this is hardly an in-depth study, my take was that the girlfriend wasn't supposed to be ugly, she was supposed to look "square" or "preppy" or what-have-you). Anyway, I find saying the video has a serious "message" akin to saying the Three Stooges were anti-semitic because a Jewish guy got hurt all the time for peoples' amusement.
    I don't really want to argue about such a trite matter. But to me, that video is the very incarnation of the so very far spread thought that the "cool kids" are allowed to do anything, whereas nerdier people are subhumans who should be bullied and abused. I guess that was not the writer's intent, sure, but that's the basic philosophy that manifests itself in that song.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-10-20 at 05:14 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

25. - Top - End - #85

How can you say the music in the nineties sucked?
    Oasis.
    Blur.
    Jarvis Cocker.
    Radiohead.
    I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'.

Lord Flashheart by Kalirush

26. - Top - End - #86
    Barbarian in the Playground

Generally I agree, but there are the exceptions. The general level of entertainment from 90'2 music was pretty low.

A couple more that I've not seen mentioned yet:
    Prodigy
    PWEI
    Therapy
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Black Shield Transforms! - from Beyond Myria campaign
    Wolvun avatar by kind courtesy of Kain_Tempest.

Spoiler
    Show

Requiescat in pace: the "Sweet Hat Bro" bird.
    Can nothing survive the jaws of THE BEAST? Even the innocent cute and fluffy?

Quote Originally Posted by sikyon View Post
    Sometimes people forget all the benefits we reap from the sacrifices of our soldiers.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Helms View Post
    How does another mediocre and irrelevant Slayer album render 90s music arguments null and void?

Piece of Time, Coma of Souls, Rust in Peace, Dances of Death (and other walking Shadows) or Spiritual Healing, on the other hand
    Quite possibly because that album is listed amongst the most influential album for modern metal bands? But of course I suppose non of their opinions hold any weight either.
    Richard Baker is Hitler reincarnated...anybody that thinks the 4e realms is a good idea should be shot out of a cannon into a brick wall.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I don't really know my band timelines, but I think The Clash did stuff during that time period, as well?

29. - Top - End - #89

I don't know if they did, but I do know that they were much more prominent in the 80s and I, personally, liked their earlier stuff much better.
    You are a god

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rancid's "Life Won't Wait" is my favorite album....ever, pretty much, so I can't really agree.

Plus, excellent Reel Big Fish releases, Nirvana(just the unplugged, really), 2 good records from Bad Religion, Pennywise....the list goes on. Just keep away from pop rap and post grunge, you'll catch an infection.

The Clash didn't do anything in the 90s....they broke up in I'd say 85 or something.

Joe Strummer, their frontman, released his first album with the Mescaleros, but his next two blew that out of the water, because they kind of rank among the best albums of all time.
    Last edited by commander43; 2007-10-26 at 02:06 AM.
    Signature?! What!?

Awesome Commander Greven Il-Vec avatar by Threeshades.