New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe at Comic Con (SDCC 2019)

Bah, the Jane subplots were the worst bits of Thor1 and 2, which contributed to those two being easily the least likable Marvel movies for me. Ditching her for the far more fun and interesting Valkyrie was a great choice I wish they'd keep.

Hopefully with Waititi at the helm it will be fun, but it's not a promising start.

Anyway, I'm all for the Passing of the Shield movie, and interested in Blade. The rest I'm a bit more cautious about. Mostly waiting for a Guardians 3, I think. And I'm just not going to sign up for the Disney tv show thing, so I'll be missing out on all those. And honestly, while I like Widow and Hawkeye I'm not certain they can carry a full tv show. As to Loki, I don't know what more there is to say about that character. He had a good character arc, but it finished. But I was never as enraptured by him as everyone else I guess. As long as the Loki fans enjoy it, I guess.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Wanda is also confirmed for DS2 right?

Will What If be their answer to Black Mirror?
    DS? What'd that again?

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    DS? What'd that again?
    Doctor Strange.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Doctor Strange.
    Riiight

I knew that..

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

More of that Doctor Strange fellow, I see. That ought to be fun.

That Thor logo looks fantastic.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

I'd love a 'Shang Chi' movie provided they keep it true to its pulpy roots. Plenty of evil masterminds, spies, booby traps, weird martial arts weapons, etc. And a lead actor who can actually make a fight look good. Everything they didn't do with 'Iron Fist' really
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    I'd love a 'Shang Chi' movie provided they keep it true to its pulpy roots. Plenty of evil masterminds, spies, booby traps, weird martial arts weapons, etc. And a lead actor who can actually make a fight look good. Everything they didn't do with 'Iron Fist' really
    The lead actor has been calling out Marvel for years for not casting an Asian superhero (he also declared back in December they should pick him). It’s simply time to see if the guy can walk the walk.

Of course he will, because, unlike Netflix, Disney will spend the time and energy to make the fight scenes glorious.

It’s not hard to get a fight scene to work when you have millions to spend and months to train the actors and the best fight choreographers in the business. Netflix tried to do it on a shoestring budget (less than Daredevil) in a condensed timeframe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

8. - Top - End - #38
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    The lead actor has been calling out Marvel for years for not casting an Asian superhero (he also declared back in December they should pick him). It’s simply time to see if the guy can walk the walk.

Of course he will, because, unlike Netflix, Disney will spend the time and energy to make the fight scenes glorious.

It’s not hard to get a fight scene to work when you have millions to spend and months to train the actors and the best fight choreographers in the business. Netflix tried to do it on a shoestring budget (less than Daredevil) in a condensed timeframe.
    How many asian superheroes are there? I mean seriously, I have barely even heard of this shiang guy and all across marvel AND dc im having a hard time thinking of any. Sunfire? Thinking on it, Jubilee is asian, but I had forgotten as I mainly remember her from the xmen cartoon where she was raw valley girl annoyance and didnt really have any asian features, I just remember once in a great while her being called jubilation lee. Wasnt there one in dc where he had control of this alien space ship that would dissolve your body over time piloting it? Or was that some absurd fever dream I had?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #39

Asian Marvel superheroes I can think of: the Kamala Khan Ms Marvel, and Amadeus Cho, a newer Hulk, besides the mentioned ones, and Colleen Wing (already in the Iron Fist series).
    Last edited by Clertar; 2019-07-21 at 04:00 PM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    How many asian superheroes are there? I mean seriously, I have barely even heard of this shiang guy and all across marvel AND dc im having a hard time thinking of any. Sunfire? Thinking on it, Jubilee is asian, but I had forgotten as I mainly remember her from the xmen cartoon where she was raw valley girl annoyance and didnt really have any asian features, I just remember once in a great while her being called jubilation lee. Wasnt there one in dc where he had control of this alien space ship that would dissolve your body over time piloting it? Or was that some absurd fever dream I had?
    It really depends how obscure you want to go. There are literally thousands of comic characters built up over the decades . Off the top head of my head for DC I can think of : Lady Shiva, Connor Hawke and Cassandra Cain
    Marvel has Silver Samurai, Psylocke (maybe), the Immortal Weapons of the Seven Heavenly Cities

( and obviously for both quite a lot of villains from less PC times)
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2019-07-21 at 04:20 PM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

I told my wife the star of Shang-Chi stars in Kim's Convenience. Her dead pan response: "I hope its the old guy."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Oh~ Shang Chi's Jung from Kim's Convenience.

I don't know about the marital arts part of it, but I do enjoy Simu Liu's as an actor.

Edit: As for Asian Marvel Superheroes there's also Nico from Runaways, Silk from the Spider-verse, then Karma, Surge, and Armor from X-Men. I only remember Armor because of the X-Men anime though.

They're predominantly women, and usually villains.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2019-07-21 at 04:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    I told my wife the star of Shang-Chi stars in Kim's Convenience. Her dead pan response: "I hope its the old guy."
    There's a reason 'the old but incredibly dangerous Martial Arts Master' is a trope in Kung Fu movies
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2019-07-21 at 04:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

I've got some mixed feelings about Thor 4 for sure. I thought Natalie Portman was the least interesting part of the first two Thor films, so having her come back is not something I am at all excited for. I also am not a fan of legacy characters in general, so I have no particular desire to see Lady Thor. On the other hand, Thor was in an interesting place at the end of Endgame, so I'm excited to see where his story goes, and having Taika Waititi back on board gives me cause for hope. I mean, they made a pretty good movie (loosely) based on the absolute dumpster fire that was Civil War, so hopefully they can make this work too.

As for the rest... sounds good but nothing that I'm super hyped for either.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Spamalot in the Playground

Natalie Portman was boring because they wrote her part to be boring, much like the Star Wars prequels. Getting nominated for the awards she has (including a best actress win for Black Swan, my favorite movie she's in) proves she can act when she has a decent script to work with. But if all they have her do is be the flat love interest, that's exactly what they'll get.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Psyren
    But if all they have her do is be the flat love interest, that's exactly what they'll get.
    I actually liked her in Dark World, or at least what little personality she was able to squeeze in. No question she didn't have much of a role, but I liked her reactions to Asgard and its citizens, and wish they could've done more with that.

Also, you have to admit slapping Loki was worth something.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Natalie Portman was boring because they wrote her part to be boring, much like the Star Wars prequels. Getting nominated for the awards she has (including a best actress win for Black Swan, my favorite movie she's in) proves she can act when she has a decent script to work with. But if all they have her do is be the flat love interest, that's exactly what they'll get.
    That is important to note. While I’m not exactly a Natalie Portman fan, she’s not a bad actress. The problem is Jane was a flat love interest. Now I’m not a romantic man, I’ve said before the token romance is always the least interesting part of every action movie (because for some reason every action movie has a romance).

But, man, Jane was an exceptionally boring romance even by boring romance standards. I don’t really know how they can make that character interesting without just completely rewriting the character. Her defining character traits are she’s the boring serious one and she’s bad at driving.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    That is important to note. While I’m not exactly a Natalie Portman fan, she’s not a bad actress. The problem is Jane was a flat love interest. Now I’m not a romantic man, I’ve said before the token romance is always the least interesting part of every action movie (because for some reason every action movie has a romance).

But, man, Jane was an exceptionally boring romance even by boring romance standards. I don’t really know how they can make that character interesting without just completely rewriting the character. Her defining character traits are she’s the boring serious one and she’s bad at driving.
    The secret twist is that she was only acting like that because she thought Thor liked it.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

I think Thor: Ragnarok and Taika Waititi was such a turn around for the Thor sub-franchise that they'd have to reboot her character anyways just to fit with the new writing style and Thor characterization.

I'd imagine they'll might do what they did with Jane Foster!Thor in the comics, which is give her a somewhat over-the-top dramatic persona while she's wielding the hammer. In which case her normal character will stand in comedic contrast to it.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I think Thor: Ragnarok and Taika Waititi was such a turn around for the Thor sub-franchise that they'd have to reboot her character anyways just to fit with the new writing style and Thor characterization.

I'd imagine they'll might do what they did with Jane Foster!Thor in the comics, which is give her a somewhat over-the-top dramatic persona while she's wielding the hammer. In which case her normal character will stand in comedic contrast to it.
    I have a feeling Jane will just loosen up under the new direction.

We really don’t need her to play the straight woman.

Question is how and if they develop Lady Thor’s origins from the comics. It doesn’t make sense here because...does Thor even still have Mjolnir (kept the one from the past)?

Ah well, if he did, past-Thor can make do.

In addition to that little wrinkle, there’s the fact that the new Thor developed over several comics, and had a secret identity, and the movie will naturally not have secret identities and require everything happens within something like two hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    How many asian superheroes are there? I mean seriously, I have barely even heard of this shiang guy and all across marvel AND dc im having a hard time thinking of any.
    Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    It really depends how obscure you want to go. There are literally thousands of comic characters built up over the decades . Off the top head of my head for DC I can think of : Lady Shiva, Connor Hawke and Cassandra Cain
    Marvel has Silver Samurai, Psylocke (maybe), the Immortal Weapons of the Seven Heavenly Cities

( and obviously for both quite a lot of villains from less PC times)
    Psylocke is a white woman in an Asian woman’s body. A lot of these characters are really obscure, and can be villains at times.

It shows how long it took Marvel and DC to diversify and that even in 2019 they are really lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

21. - Top - End - #51

Psylocke is a white woman in an Asian woman’s body.
    What does that even mean? Is she a canonical body-snatcher or something? Admittedly, all I really know about her is "Is hot for the reasons you'd expect" and "makes psychic weapons".

22. - Top - End - #52

The body belonged to a Yakuza boss's mistress/pet assassin. Betsy Braddock, through the kind of rubber science comic book specialize in, was shoved into Kimiko's body and took it (and her mutant powers) over.

That was how Marvel diversified their cast back in the day.

23. - Top - End - #53

I really don't give a fog of whether the Jane Thor original storyline was good or not.

MCU have proven they can recreate and retool classic stories in ways to make good movies. Why would this suddenly not be the case? When the MCU makes a bad movie, it's not because of bad source material, but because of bad execution.

Jane Foster MCU was a bad character because of the very reasons Portman declined to come back. She's a flat, pointless, underpowered character sorrounded by God's, and she has no agency over the events happening. She is there to make gooey eyes at Thor.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Question is how and if they develop Lady Thor’s origins from the comics. It doesn’t make sense here because...does Thor even still have Mjolnir (kept the one from the past)?

Ah well, if he did, past-Thor can make do.
    He doesn't. Cap returned Mjolnir to the past along with the Infinity Stones at the end of Endgame. So yeah, going to need some other explanation for how she gets any powers. Reforged Mjolnir, Stormbreaker, some other new weapon, maybe something else entirely for all we know.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post

And, it's not like anyone's going to complain about her character being retooled to be more interesting. Like, if they've got a flat character, are you going to demand that the studios slavishly keep that character boring for the sake of continuity?

I'm interested to see just where they go with her, and with the end of the story. In the MCU, legacy characters actually have a chance of staying, as opposed to the comics, where they tend to get shuffled back into their "rightful place" so the original can take back over. I'm excited at the prospect that the MCU can change and evolve over the years instead of continuing to go back to the same wells of characters and superhero identities, and Sam-as-Cap is one such example.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    He doesn't. Cap returned Mjolnir to the past along with the Infinity Stones at the end of Endgame. So yeah, going to need some other explanation for how she gets any powers. Reforged Mjolnir, Stormbreaker, some other new weapon, maybe something else entirely for all we know.
    Unironically what if her Thor Origin (thorigin if you will) is the same as actual comics Thor. She find's a magic stick that is secretly a different edition of Mjolnir (like, 1.0 vs Thor's 2.0) and she becomes an embodiment of everything she finds heroic as a result.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    The easy way to go is to also pick up the unworthy Thor storyline. Mjolnir reforges itself and shows up in Asgard, but Thor cannot pick it up anymore (in the comics, because of something that watcher Nick Fury whispered in his ear: that maybe the world is better off without gods). Somehow Jane does pick it up, becomes the new Thor, and Odinsson just keeps using Stormbreaker.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Also, you have to admit slapping Loki was worth something.
    Her defining character traits are she’s the boring serious one and she’s bad at driving.
    You see if it was me I would reverse the two. Run over Loki (twice), and slap Thor / Hemsworth. 😏

Maybe with the Chicago soundtrack playing on the cd player... 🎵 He had it coming [...] 🎶
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The body belonged to a Yakuza boss's mistress/pet assassin. Betsy Braddock, through the kind of rubber science comic book specialize in, was shoved into Kimiko's body and took it (and her mutant powers) over.

That was how Marvel diversified their cast back in the day.
    Oh, wow. I didn't expect that to be literal. Ew.

30. - Top - End - #60

Daemon

I was really looking forward to the eternals, Gaimans run was my favourite comic.book series.
    Than they announced Makkari will be black chick.
    ... why?