New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Latest Anime recommendation thread [no spoilers please]

Here's the latest edition of the anime recommendation thread. Tell us what you're watching or want to watch, and would like to recommend to the rest.

I've just finished watching all of My-HiME, My-Otome and their specials and the OVAs for the latter (My-Otome Zwei). I didn't like Otome at first but it's really good, it gets better towards the second half and looking in retrospect, it was just me hating it for being an "all weirded out" sequel (for those who are not familiar with it, it takes all the same characters from the first one and places them in a pretty different context and storyline while keeping familiarity at the same time. It's weird)

It does have a fair share of "fan service", but well, it's to be expected from a series with an almost totally feminine cast where they are some kind of flying, fighting super maids. My-HiME is a little more pedestrian in the setting but I'd say it's better for that. More credible.

Also, it seems no one I talk to has seen those, which is strange because I saw them because of their supposed popularity in internet (I kept reading recommendations while looking for anime).

I started watching Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, and its a blast so far. I really enjoyed the first three episodes, was immediately hooked. And I really don't like robot animes, but this one is very fun and action packed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Latest Anime recommendation thread [no spoilers please]

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan

Everyone i've shown this anime loves it. (Probably cause they can deal with me and this is just the sortof thing you'd expect from The Koga)

Anyway, it's about an angel from the future. Who travels to the past because God is pissed off at a boy named Sakura. Who creates some sortof technology that stops people from aging. It works too well, and stops them from aging pass twelve. Creating a "pedophyle's utopian".

So really God is upset not only about the utopian, but the fact that Sakura is meddeling with life and death. Dokuro-Chan is convinced she can stop Sakura from creating this technology without killing him. Unfourtanately she is more psychotic then Hannibal Lector on crack, and endsup killing him anyway.. time and time again..

But she can ressurect people with her "Excaliclub" (obviously a play on Excalibur). Even by anime standards I've heard complaints it's too gorey and perverted. But it's so cartoony and random you won't even notice.

If I could describe it to you using other anime. Immagine Sailor Moon type characters mixed in with the complete social awckwardness of FLCL.
    Last edited by Koga; 2007-11-14 at 01:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Gundam X.

Its a great mecha show. Understandable, yet not simple characters. Post-apocolyptic setting without nonstop Emo. Cancelled early in japan.

Legend of the galactic heroes. Epic. Havent seen all of it yet though.

Want to see space Runaway ideon, but need to finish.

REC is a good sereis for romance lovers. About 10 15 minute episodes.

X is good for fans of the supernatural. I reccommend the TV series, as the movie condenses things too much.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Required watching: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya). Gurren-Lagann would also go here, but you're already watching it.

If you're on this site for the D&D, you really ought to watch Slayers. Find a sub if you can, the dub is rather painful. This same advice apparently applies to Record of Lodoss War, but I haven't seen that myself.

Hmm...Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (that's the series, right?) is something I've been meaning to pick up, as is the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Excel Saga is good for slapstick and parody. Looking back, I haven't watched all that much anime regularly...just sample a variety.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

I'd make my own recommendations, but my two favorite anime are Death Note and FMA, and those are too mainstream to seriously recommend, and I'm only midway through the latter.

(Twenty-five just isn't a good number, is it?)
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Halfway through a series is generally where the fit hits the shan. Usually, that's episode 13 for single season series and 25 for two-season ones. Anywhere from five to seven for half-length seasons like Haruhi Suzumiya.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2007-11-14 at 03:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Samurai Champloo.
    Own it, pwn it, nuke it, sheep it, eat it, quick re -right it, Joe it, turn it, turnip, pimp it, gimp it, dot it, rock it, spec re - spec it...

I'm bringing smexy back

As a Warblade, I'm pimp as hell.

Big up kpenguin for the chronic Avatar.

Powergaming - because you can't roleplay when your dead.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him dominate the World

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I'll go ahead and recommend Monster. It's awesome defies description. It's a psychological thriller, and there's really no action per se. In fact, the series would have worked just as well as a live action series. No special effects needed.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi is entertaining. Especially the imitation that goes on in the final fight.
    “Life is made up of constant calls to action, and we seldom have time for more than hastily contrived answers.” -- Learned Hand

9. - Top - End - #9

Im fully up to date on Bleach and extremely enjoyed it. I also recomend Death note, which was brilliant untill (i suppose) it jumped the shark, at a point which cannot be revealed for the risk of spoilers

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    FMA
    got to love it
    http://s9.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=97391

On No Accounts Must the Above Link Be Clicked!

Best Avatar by Sampi!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Samurai Champloo seconded
    Sigatar by Me

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Hmm Hayate the combat butler is pretty funny and ongoing

Trigun is a classic

Heroic age is amazing, but do note it is sci-fi mecha-ish

Samurai Champloo thirded

Hmm that's all for now
    "Did we send the "don't shoot we're pathetic" message yet?" - John Crichton

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Well, since you seem to be going for the shounen, romantic comedy type of shows, I would recommend the follwing.

Seto no Hanayome.
    Goushousama Ninomiya-kun
    "Stand together men, for we are the only defenders of this glade until spring arrives, heralding the return of our Lord and the Wild Hunt," Relar Sorin, Lord of the Tower of Eternal Winter and Eternal Guard Leader

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm between series' right now, looking for "Visions of Escaflowne". Well, my big two as far as reccomendations go are Hunter X Hunter and Law of Ueki.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have just two words for Erfworld:
    God Mode.

-Parson
    Have you ever considered that such a convenient solution doesn't exist in the real world?

-Raine Sage

"We are the people our parents warned us about..."- Jimmy Buffett
    The Generica Chronicles

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

One Piece

It's a long runnig anime and it has 330 episodes!

humor drama and fights!
    Neutral Evil Sorcerer 2nd level

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 17
    Constitution- 16
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 13
    Charisma- 13

What character of D&D are you?

16. - Top - End - #16

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Apelord69 View Post
    Death note, which was brilliant untill (i suppose) it jumped the shark, at a point which cannot be revealed for the risk of spoilers
    I'll have to admit I didn't find those two certain characters particularly likeable - at least before I read the manga in the case of the smaller one - but certain characters who had been there all along, especially the one who dented something with his thumbnail...

...yeah, can we take this to PM?
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

17. - Top - End - #17

First off, I saw Paprika recently, and it was awesome. In fact, anything by Satoshi Kon is probably worth watching (which in addition to his other movies includes the anime series Paranoia Agent). Crazy animation, crazy music, crazy stuff.

I've acquired a fair amount of current subs it seems, and have yet to watch any of it.

What I have seen of Minami-ke has been pretty good. It's not often I say that about shows where nothing happens either (i.e. there's no plot). Just a well done comedy with schoolgirls (go figure).

I'm seriously behind on the episodes for it, but Denno Coil has proven itself interesting. Unfortunately every description I can think of for it will probably give a different impression than what the series is actually like. Sort of a mystery type show with kids finding out about an urban legend related to the advanced virtual reality Internet in their town.

Someone mentioned Kenichi. My two cents is that while I enjoyed it, it's probably not something I'd recommend to others, unless they had a vested interest in fighting anime. It's not anything outstanding, but it has a good voice cast, and of course, lots of fighting. Unfortunately Siegfried, the best character in the show, takes entirely too long to show up.

And seriously, start watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if you haven't already. I don't want to oversell it, but it really is worth checking out, once you can actually remember it's ridiculous name. Speaking of which, don't forget to throw reason to the curb when watching it. Of course, if you expect anime, hell, any cartoon to actually make sense, then maybe you shouldn't be watching them.

some kind of flying, fighting super maids
    You can say magic girl. It's okay.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Koga View Post
    Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
    The one with the crazy girl with the spiked club!!! I always forget about this one! I'll get it next (getting Trigun currently).

Also, great idea that of posting some image along with recommendation. Anime is very visual. You can't just mention the plot and expect someone to get into it really. Will edit my post later tomorrow.

I'd totally watch One Piece, but there's so much of it... :s I can't even begin getting it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Required watching: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya).
    Motion to second?

Yay.

Motion to second passed. tMoHS seconded.

It's basically the standard in which I hold most animes to. It's animation is flawlessly detailed. It burns my eyes to go from something like that to...say Berserk or something. Burns. It's funny, twisting, and above all very entertaining. I strongly recommend it. Even have to non-anime watchers.
    sign by egobuttz

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Yeah. It's closer to being an American sitcom in pacing and humor, dressed up in every anime trope in existence. Because for some reason you can't make anime that's not self-aware about being an anime...not that that's a bad thing, it's just kind of a constant.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

I'm gonna say....... Zero no Tsukaima and Shakugan no Shana

And I'm currently watching Kaze no Stigma......... and it's pretty good.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

I would agree with the above poster. However, the second season of Zero no Tsukaima was a bit disappointing, especially when you compare it to the novels.

Actually one of the anime I am currently enjoying is based of an Pen and Paper RPG Game from Japan.

NightWizard the Animation.
    Last edited by Kojiro Kakita; 2007-11-15 at 01:25 AM.
    "Stand together men, for we are the only defenders of this glade until spring arrives, heralding the return of our Lord and the Wild Hunt," Relar Sorin, Lord of the Tower of Eternal Winter and Eternal Guard Leader

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post

Motion to second passed. tMoHS seconded.

It's basically the standard in which I hold most animes to. It's animation is flawlessly detailed. It burns my eyes to go from something like that to...say Berserk or something. Burns. It's funny, twisting, and above all very entertaining. I strongly recommend it. Even have to non-anime watchers.
    These are very high standards - is there something that ever beat them? It's hard to find a better anime than Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. It's in my top 5, along with FMA, Evangelion, Trigun and FLCL (which made Ergo Proxy drop from the list).

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    I'm seriously behind on the episodes for it, but Denno Coil has proven itself interesting. Unfortunately every description I can think of for it will probably give a different impression than what the series is actually like. Sort of a mystery type show with kids finding out about an urban legend related to the advanced virtual reality Internet in their town.
    It's the matrix for kids.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Well the most recent anime I have watched would be Death Note, but I hear the manga is better. Still the anime was fun to watch.

Hmm...

Well Air is very good.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    What I have seen of Minami-ke has been pretty good. It's not often I say that about shows where nothing happens either (i.e. there's no plot). Just a well done comedy with schoolgirls (go figure).

I actually think that these are two of the best recent shows.

I was unsure of Minami-ke at first, but half way through the first episode I realised that it was basically a cross between Azumanga Daioh and Wallace and Grommit.

Denno Coil is a very good anime in all respects.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    And seriously, start watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if you haven't already. I don't want to oversell it, but it really is worth checking out, once you can actually remember it's ridiculous name. Speaking of which, don't forget to throw reason to the curb when watching it. Of course, if you expect anime, hell, any cartoon to actually make sense, then maybe you shouldn't be watching them.
    Yeah, it's pretty crazy it seems. But it's all in the name of entertainment. The art is special too, seems to be sloppy or wacky, though very organic, and then you get some mindblowing action scenes.

You can say magic girl. It's okay.
    But but...they're actually maids! Virgin maids! With nano-tech armors! @_@

Also, I'd have to remember the term "magical girl" in first place :b

There's a prequel thing coming too, called My-Otome S.ifr or 0. I think it was gonna be a miniseries of OVAs but I heard it got upgraded to a full series. Not crazy on the prequel thing, but I'm actually glad there's more of it.

Now I need a TTG-L wallpaper and I'm set.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

If you're on this site for the D&D, you really ought to watch Slayers. Find a sub if you can, the dub is rather painful. This same advice apparently applies to Record of Lodoss War, but I haven't seen that myself.
    Lodoss War is very good - just remember that it is a relatively old anime. It has the feel of straight D&D, more than any other fantasy (anime or otherwise) I have seen.

I would also tend to throw in "Louie the Rune Soldier", which is D&D with somewhat more humour.

Currently I am watching Negima, Fruits Basket and Oh My Goddess TV. I would recomend the latter two to anybody.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Dragon Ball Super, HighSchool DxD are one of the best to watch. Alternatively, you can also watch the devil is a part-timer! its amazing, Season 2 will be released soon maybe.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: This was the latest in 2007, now it's just "the late."

because it's dead.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1