New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default The Art of War - Diplomacy All-Stars

The Art of War

The year is 1901. The great powers of Europe are stirring, driven by the twin engines of nationalism and industrialization. For the first time since the era of Napoleon and the Congress of Vienna that was intended to protect against another, armies are mobilizing across the Continent. With the United States occupied by dreams of Empire in Latin America and Asia and Africa carved up by colonialism, the nation that can gain dominance in Europe will also have dominance of the entire world. The dawn of the 20th Century has seen the old balance of power in Europe crumbling, leaving the door open for a leader strong and crafty enough to reshape it to suit his and his nation's ambitions.

Spring 1901 Map

Country Assignment

Austia-Hungary - Vexen
    England - Elder_Kin
    France - Abelard
    Germany - katonta
    Italy - Charity
    Russia - MoodytheWise
    Turkey - mdsoze

You just missed it viggo. However, you'll be first alternate if that arises (I hope not), and I might have a spot for you in another game as Austria-Hungary if the player doesn't confirm it by Wednesday.

Schedule:
    Mondays: Spring Orders Due
    Tuesdays: Spring Retreats Due (if necessary)
    Thursdays: Fall Orders Due
    Fridays: Fall Retreats Due (if necessary)
    Saturdays: Winter Builds Due

Please make sure you are okay with the fast schedule. I will make sure to post/PM 24-hr warnings for Spring, Fall, and Winter (build) orders. I will post retreats after adjudicating.

There will be an extra long period of diplomacy before the orders for Spring 1901 are due. Please post below to introduce yourself and your preferred method for negotiations. Have fun, good luck, and I'm exciting to see what Diplo craziness the best of the best will produce!

Spring 1901 orders are due (PM or e-mail elektrotek85 *at* gmail.com) Monday, 22 October 10:00 PM EST (0300 GMT)
    Last edited by Elektro; 2007-10-17 at 12:38 AM.
    "Il nous faut de l'audace, et encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace" Georges Jacques Dalton

"Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never peril." Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Current and Completed Diplomacy Games

The excellent Gen. George S. Patton avatar courtesy of Tomb_Raven

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: The Art of War - Diplomacy All-Stars

If I might Suggest, we push back the spring 1901 orders to Monday in place of Friday. This way the schedule will not have to be changed but can remain current.
    Again this is just a suggestion for convenience (and so I don't get confused with the schedules, because for a time I will be playing 3 games). I should be ready to give my orders on Friday if the schedule does not change.

and now, ahem:

Please address all comunications to: Emperor Franz Joseph of the dual monarchy
    Please entitle them: Diplomacy: AoW

I would prefer E-mails for this game if at all possible at
    addisonfox at gmail

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

British mourn the death of Prince Albert Edward

April 4, 1900 Denmark

The Royal family mourned the death of the Prince of Wales, Albert Edward, heir apparent to the English throne as he was shot by a Belgian national Jean-Baptiste Sipido shot the Prince on his way through Denmark to Belgium. The young Belgian shot the Prince while he was at the Brussels-Nord railway station. His younger brother, Arthur William Patrick Albert, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn is now heir to the throne.

British mourn the death of Queen Victoria. Prince Arthur becomes King Arthur I

January 20, 1901

The England mourns today the loss of queen Victoria. The beloved queen was the longest reining british monarch. She died of a cerebral hemorrage and was attended by her son Arthur and Grandson Kaiser Whilhelm.
    Last edited by Elder_Kin; 2007-10-15 at 02:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Greetings, decadent Westerners. I am Prime Minister of Russia, Vladimir Podolsky.

Just kidding, it's me, Nicholas the Second, by the grace of God, Emperor and Autocrat of all the Russias, of Moscow, Kiev, Vladimir, Novgorod, Tsar of Kazan, Tsar of Astrakhan, King of Poland, Tsar of Siberia, Tsar of Tauric Chersonesos, Tsar of Georgia, Lord of Pskov, and Grand Duke of Smolensk, Lithuania, Volhynia, Podolia, and Finland, Prince of Estonia, Livonia, Courland and Semigalia, Samogitia, Belostok, Karelia, of Tver, Yugra, Perm, Vyatka, Bulgaria, and other territories; Lord and Grand Duke of Nizhny Novgorod, Chernigov; Sovereign of Ryazan, Polotsk, Rostov, Yaroslavl, Beloozero, Udoria, Obdoria, Kondia, Vitebsk, Mstislav, and all the northern territories; and Sovereign of Iveria, Kartalinia, and the Kabardinian lands and Armenian territories; Hereditary Lord and Ruler of the Cherkass and Mountain Princes and others; Lord of Turkestan, Heir of Norway, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein, Stormarn, Dithmarschen, Oldenburg, and so forth, and so forth, and so forth.

I don't have a prime minister; if you want to talk, you talk to me. Got it? Good.

OoC: Methods of contact, in preferred order:
    AIM - Londonwerewolf6
    E-mail - [email protected]
    PM - ... that should be obvious
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

A new dawn greets France, one full of promise. The despised Third Republic creaks towards the end of it's third decade, satisfying none but also truly angering none, and upon that precarious balance its continued success rests.

So whyfore this hope of the new day? A gifted and talented and brilliant (and good-looking and witty and relatively clean and etc.) politician has recently gained the presidency in this slumbering state, and kick-started a revitalization that has made the common folk think back of the times of Napoleon III, and even moreso to the original Napoleon a century ago - sometimes, even in good ways. But none can doubt that Abelard's plans for France are ambitious, as he has already ordered several fine maps of Moscow drafted... purely to decide where to build a winter vacation home, he assures us all.

Claiming that war is not his aim, he announced that he recently received word that the Iberian nations have requested to join the newly-invigorated France, and he looks forward to their joining in liberte, egalite, and fraternite. With these fine nations as an example, Abelard extends an invitation for all nations of Europe to join him under the French banner. Assimilation will be mostly painless, and even less so if you don't mind chowing down on snails.

PM'ing here is the best way to get me. Address me how you like (well, I mean within reason), and putting "AoW" or something like that in the subject line, as well as the power you're playing, is always a good idea, especially at the beginning.

Vexen, are you saying that you don't want PM's at all, only e-mails? Not that it will matter much; with sharks like mdsoze and Moody leering at the Balkans, all I can say is better you than me!
    You can have blood, love, and rhetoric, or blood and rhetoric, or love and rhetoric, or just rhetoric.

6. - Top - End - #6

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Abelard View Post
    Vexen, are you saying that you don't want PM's at all, only e-mails? Not that it will matter much; with sharks like mdsoze and Moody leering at the Balkans, all I can say is better you than me!
    Hey hey hey! No name-calling! I wouldn't hurt a fly ...

... It's so weird going into an internet game with a reputation. I guess I'll take it as a compliment, though.

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

7. - Top - End - #7

BlueKnightGuy

Unless I am terribly mistaken, the player for Germany is Katonta, not Katatona. This should probably be corrected in the first post.

<.<

>.>

... Not that I'm talking to Germany.

^.^

-Albert Einstein

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Il suo Imperial grandiosita Versace di stile, posso personalmente garantire per il carattere di Tzar Moody, egli è abbastanza innocuo.
    Ho espresso il mio parole prima che il suo male vestiti come monarchi perle prima suina.

[translation] His Imperial magesty Versace the stylish would like to welcome the ministers of the great nations around him to summit talks

His Imperial magesty would like to open communication channels to all [email protected]
    Last edited by Charity; 2007-10-15 at 05:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

9. - Top - End - #9

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    Il suo Imperial grandiosita Versace di stile, posso personalmente garantire per il carattere di Tzar Moody, egli è abbastanza innocuo.
    Ho espresso il mio parole prima che il suo male vestiti come monarchi perle prima suina.

[translation] His Imperial magesty Versace the stylish would like to welcome the ministers of the great nations around him to summit talks

His Imperial magesty would like to open communication channels to all [email protected]
    ... Am I going to have to look up what you're saying about me, or are you going to post the *real* translation, Charity?

-Albert Einstein

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hallo everybody, dis is new Kaiser Wilhelm III. My unfortunate vater, Kaiser Wilhelm II was taken out of action today because of terrible allergy to Katzenhaar. I will do my best to serve my country and lead it to glorious sieg. Now, a few words in my native sprache: Kann der beste Mannsieg, und sorgt sich nicht, werde ich. Vielen Dank.

OOC----------------------------
    Well, German accent aside, the easiest way to get a hold of me is via PM or Email (fowlertye*at*charter.net)

I wish everyone the best of luck, and a swift death.

Oh, and the schedule is fine for me.
    Casatar by, who else? Castaras!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moody the Wise View Post
    ... Am I going to have to look up what you're saying about me, or are you going to post the *real* translation, Charity?
    Google tradurre è il tuo amico
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

12. - Top - End - #12

Turkey here. And in Sultanate Era, Turkey carves you! I'll be here all week.

Anyways...

AIM- cheheret

or PM to negotiate.

Happy stabbing everyone!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

The New York Times

"All The News We Feel Like Printing"

January 7, 1901

United States Welcomes the 20th Century!
    This great nation has celebrated the beginning of the 20th Century. We all look forward to a new era of promise as we continue to tame this great land and work towards prosperity and freedom for all. All Americans hear the clarion call of Manifest Destiny. Now that we have tamed the vast Western expanses, we have moved to expand our influence through the hemisphere.

President Roosevelt has pledged to open up Latin America and Canada to our business interests and to bring them the blessings of democracy. Our fine lads have been dispatched to Mexico City to hand out educational literature and protect its citizens against the unstable and corrupt local government. Marines have been dispatched to Guatemala and Panama, in the latter our boys have been handing out copies of Horatio Alger, along with shovels and mosquito netting for work on the canal. The road ahead looks bright as we develop a community of nations in the Americans, rightly led by the mighty United States.

Europe Teeters on the Brink

Surprising no one, Europe looks again to soon be plunged into darkness and bloodshed. President Roosevelt has assured the nation that we will in no means intervene in the situation. "We don't really like those damn Europeans anyways. The English still act all snooty with their raised pinky-fingers and tea and crumpets. What the hell is a crumpet anyways? The French are arrogant, and if there is one thing that binds all Americans, its dislike for those damn snail-eaters. The Germans seem just a little crazy under that veneer of order, but I do like the Kaiser's taste in mustaches. Russia, well we just feel sorry for them. It's like if Maine was a whole country without all the cool parts of the United States, except even more lame (if that were even possible). Italy is nothing much now, since all the mushroom-chomping plumbers moved to Brooklyn already. I won't pick on Austria-Hungary, since that's just cruel. And Turkey/Ottoman Empire sounds like either a dumb, tasty bird or some kind of specialized furniture emporium." After his diatribe, the President left twirling his handlebar to go big game hunting in Africa.

OoC: Good to see everyone has checked in. And the above is just a joke. Please don't send the moose death squads to my house Moody
    Last edited by Elektro; 2007-10-17 at 01:15 AM. Reason: naughty word in Alger's book title
    "Il nous faut de l'audace, et encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace" Georges Jacques Dalton

"Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never peril." Sun Tzu, The Art of War

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

OoC:
    I really got to start subscribing to these threads the second I post.
    I also want to say that it turns out I am extremely busy this week I will be trying to respond to as many of you as possible, but I anticipate more full negotiations to begin on Friday.

In response to your question, I realize not everyone wants to give out e-mail addresses or to risk losing important negotiations to the spam blocker. PM is just fine. I will accept all forms of communications, though if anyone calls me I will be pretty creeped out since I haven't given out my number. E-mails are preferred because they are easier for me to keep track of and there is not having to delete old messages.

15. - Top - End - #15

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vexen View Post
    I will accept all forms of communications, though if anyone calls me I will be pretty creeped out since I haven't given out my number. E-mails are preferred because they are easier for me to keep track of and there is not having to delete old messages.
    I am going to find out where you live and knock on your door and demand an audience.

-Albert Einstein

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueKnightGuy

Secrecy At All-Time High

Russian intelligence has authorized a complicated new system for encrypting its communications, as rumors of foreign spying abound.

Tsar Orders Mobilization of Experimental Hyper Mobile Forces

Foreign governments are trembling in fear this morning after the unveiling of Russia's experimental new elite corps. Huge, armored behemoths that spit fire and can literally roll over enemy soldiers and difficult terrain alike. No, we're not talking about tanks. We're talking about the Moosacks: specially trained Cossacks riding armored Moose equipped with flamethrowers. The first units are expected to be deployed on a small scale against the office of the New York Times in The U.S. to test their effectiveness before being used in the European theater.

-Albert Einstein

17. - Top - End - #17

Something just hit me...

I'd like to amend the introduction I've been sending out. I'm claiming victory in the "Quest for Dominance" Youngstown game that sort of died after one season. I figure that I was the only power who was going to be at 8 centers after Year 1, and heck, no one else has claimed it yet, so there you go. My last Dip game was a solo victory in a Youngstown game. I rule.

Just further cementing my "All-Star" status, really.
    You can have blood, love, and rhetoric, or blood and rhetoric, or love and rhetoric, or just rhetoric.

18. - Top - End - #18

BlueKnightGuy

Well if we're posting our resumés ...

I would say I hold a reasonable claim to victory in the dead game A Great War, where I was Russia with 11 SCs in the Fall of 1907 and was going to gain (for sure) two more had that season been played. I would also argue that I could reasonably claim at least a joint victory in the dead game Chaos of War, where I was Germany with 17 SCs in - incidentally - the Spring of 1907. That seems to be a popular year for games dying. I was gunning for the solo victory though, and I honestly think I might have been able to get it if it weren't for those pesky kids. I also participated in the brief-lived but fun experiment Bismarck's Gambit, where upon reviewing the thread it appears as though I uneasily held a modest 7 SCs and I don't know when it was, but it had only been a year or two.

-Albert Einstein

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I will Argue with you moody on your Win in A Great War. You had a good temporary advantage due to a lapse in sanity from Germany. But I still think I had a good chance in that game. I was quite dissappointed about its death.

I will hereby set the stage and inform one and all why I am in this game. It has nothing to do with skill and more along the lines that I haven't ever quit a game or dropped out.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

My resume is... small. Very small. Only one game small.

I took over for Germany in All the King's Men and it was quite the fixer-upper as my predecessor had apparently done quite a lot of backstabbing, betraying Russia twice among a few other things. Though I think I've done fairly well so far and I may just have a shot at coming in second.

As I said, my resume is "one game small".
    Last edited by Katonta; 2007-10-18 at 08:39 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vexen View Post
    I will Argue with you moody on your Win in A Great War. You had a good temporary advantage due to a lapse in sanity from Germany. But I still think I had a good chance in that game. I was quite dissappointed about its death.

I will hereby set the stage and inform one and all why I am in this game. It has nothing to do with skill and more along the lines that I haven't ever quit a game or dropped out.
    You have a right to argue with me about A Great War. I didn't say I won it, I said I had a reasonable claim to victory in it; you have a pretty reasonable claim as well. It was well-played all around, and I was very sad to see it go.

-Albert Einstein

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

The New York Times

February 12, 1901

Massive Fortifications Built in Atlantic In Response to Russian Threats

After the Tsar threatened to unleash his elite Moosacks against the great city of New York, President Roosevelt has authorized the construction of a massive fortification in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Nicknamed the "Thin Black Line," the fortifications block any movement by European fleets past the coastlines of Europe. In a speech yesterday, the President remarked, "Let's see those Moosacks make it past that! Bully!" Also, we have received unconfirmed reports that the Navy has started development of the SEALS, an elite marine mammal task force to counter foreign aggression.

OoC: Heh, Moosacks. Classic.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

24 Hour Warning - Spring 1901 Moves Due Tomorrow, Monday 22 October 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spring 1901 Results

Austria
    A vie -> gal Bounced 1:1 with war
    A bud -> ser
    F tri -> alb

England
    F lon -> nth
    F edi ->nwg
    A lvp -> yor

France
    A par -> pic
    A mar -> spa
    F bre -> mao

Germany
    A ber -> kie
    F kie -> hol
    A mun -> ruh

Italy
    F nap -> ion
    A ven -> tyr
    A rom -> ven

Russia
    A mos -> sev
    A war -> gal Bounced 1:1 with vie
    F sev -> rum
    F stp s.c. -> bot

Turkey
    F ank -> bla
    A con -> bul
    A smy -> con

No retreating units, retreat phase skipped

Fall 1901 Orders due Thursday 25 October at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

25. - Top - End - #25

Hey, GM, you were over an hour early! Some of us are still negotiating right up to the deadline!

Headlines from the Parisian press:

Rejoicing in Madrid and Lisbon! Turns out that Spain and Portugal thought independence was overrated all these years. Who knew? We hear that docking berths for the Marine Nationale are already being prepared in the Tagus River.

Belgium suddenly very popular! While the uncultured rush to Antwerp for Belgian Waffles, the truly civilized know there is a greater treasure - Brussels' original Godiva Chocolatier! True, it is now owned by an American soup company (feh!), but it still compares favorably to that abomination they call a "chocolate bar".

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey, GM, you were over an hour early! Some of us are still negotiating right up to the deadline!
    Please excuse me if I cut off anyone's last minute scheming. In the interests of keeping the game moving at a good clip and keeping everything straight, once I receive your orders I will assume they are ready to be posted unless otherwise notified. Therefore, if you anticipate last minute diplomatic efforts, please let me know and I will wait until you confirm/resubmit orders.

The New York Times -- 15 March, 1901

War in Europe!

Pan-American Exposition Highlights American Ingenuity and Know-How

Spain Occupied by France; Bulls, Hemingway Hardest Hit

Precipitous Drop in Small European Nations Cheers American Schoolchildren

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

German Navy's Fear of Sea on the Rise!
    When asked, Kaiser Wilhelm II, may he always prosper, said, "When hiring the navy's general, I forgot to check to see if they had a fear of water. Why someone was signing up for the navy if they had a phobia of the water is beyond me though."

Belgian Waffles in High Demand! Army Sent to Ask for More.
    When asked, Kaiser Wilhelm II, may he always prosper, said, "Really now guys, you don't have to ask my opinion on everything! Besides, the title should be plain enough that everyone should get the idea."
    Last edited by Katonta; 2007-10-23 at 09:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

BlueKnightGuy

Russian News

-Albert Einstein

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

I must apologize for the inconvenience, I am moving this weekend, starting tomorrow. It was not my intention to move my computer until Saturday, however, it will be moved tomorrow instead. Internet is not yet up and running in my new house, I am not certain when it will be transferred. I will post Fall orders today and attempt to get online saturday, to do some minor negotiating and send in retreat/build orders. If that is possible.

I can not gaurantee I will be able to find internet access on saturday. So I wonder if I fail to do so, if i can delay builds, if i do not get orders in.

Please let me know. thank you.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vexen, I am fine with delaying the build orders. If everyone else is okay with that, we'll delay to Sunday.

I'm waiting on Moody's orders - I'll try to contact him tonight.

EDIT: Fall 1901 Results

Austria
    F alb -> tri
    A vie supports F alb -> tri
    A ser supports A bul -> rum Supported unit's order does not match support order given

England
    A yor -> den Bounced with kie 1:1
    F nth convoys A yor -> den
    F nrg -> nwy

France
    F mao -> por
    A pic supports A ruh -> bel
    A spa holds

Germany
    F hol supports A ruh -> bel
    A ruh -> bel
    A kie -> den Bounced with yor 1:1

Italy
    A tyr -> mun
    A ven -> tri Bounced with alb 1:1
    F ion -> tun

Russia
    F bot -> swe
    F rum holds
    A war -> sil
    A mos supports F rum hold Invalid order
    No order for A sev, unit assigned to hold

Turkey
    F bla supports con -> bul
    A con -> bul
    A bul -> gre

1901 Builds
    Austria: 1
    England: 1
    France: 2
    Germany: 1
    Italy: 2
    Russia: 2
    Turkey: 2

Build orders are due this Sunday, 28 October at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)
    Last edited by Elektro; 2007-10-26 at 02:58 PM.