New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Question on random table rolls out of the DmG

My dm is using random tables for certain loot. I rolled for a medium weapon which says +3 weapon bonus and then rolled for the actual weapon which was a dagger then rolled for the enchantment which was the flaming burst. I was told I received a +3 flaming burst dagger but some one said it should only be a +1 due to the enchantment having a +2 bonus market value. And I'm trying to understand how it went from +3 to +1.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Question on random table rolls out of the DmG

Quote Originally Posted by Mikej2021 View Post
    My dm is using random tables for certain loot. I rolled for a medium weapon which says +3 weapon bonus and then rolled for the actual weapon which was a dagger then rolled for the enchantment which was the flaming burst. I was told I received a +3 flaming burst dagger but some one said it should only be a +1 due to the enchantment having a +2 bonus market value. And I'm trying to understand how it went from +3 to +1.
    Flaming burst is a +2 bonus equivalent on its own so your +3 rolled bonus comes to +1 flaming burst +1 base enchanment + +2 flaming burst = +3)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

So even though it was a +3 weapon to begin with the enchantment knocks it down to +1

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

that is not how the table works.

Think of the bonus as a 'slot' the actual bonus takes up 1 slot and flaming burst takes up 2 slots so you got a total of 3 slots there.

if you read the table and how magic enchantments works, you will understand the asterisk next to the bonuses above +5 explain it, but I can see how it might be a tad confusing.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You did it wrong.

If you rolled for a medium weapon, you don't get -any- special abilites unless you rolled a 69 or higher on the percentlie roll.

If you rolled between 30 and 58, you get a plain old, no frills +3 enhancement bonus on whatever weapon you roll up to go with it and that's it.

If you did roll 69 or higher, you reference the table appropriate to your weapon type (melee or ranged). Once you've determined what the special ability is (or are, if you rolled 96 or better on that table) you roll on table 7-9 again and add the enhancement bonus determined by that table to the weapon alongside the special ability. You do -not- reduce the enhancement to fit the special ability. Multiple rolls are simply added together.

Examples:

You rolled a 57 on the medium weapon column of table 7-9, then 11 for a common weapon on 7-10, then 27 for a kama on table 7-11. The net result is a simple +4 kama. That's it.

For another weapon, you roll 97 then 13 on 7-9, 33 on 7-10, then 55 and on 7-11, for a +2 quarterstaff with one special ability. 71 on the 7-14 makes that a +2 anarchic quarterstaff. The note for double weapons under table 7-11 says to roll again for the off-hand head. A 38 Means that our example is now a +2 anarchic/ +2 anarchic quarterstaff.

It's entirely possible, though highly improbable, that you'll roll a weapon that is of a value -grossly- out of line with what might be expected.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2019-10-01 at 10:56 PM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign