New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The shackled city - chapter 1, Life's bazaar

A wretched drizzle falls from the ash-gray sky, hitting the ground with a constant dripping sound. The crowded, rain-slicked buildings seem especially bleak this evening, hunched together beneath the gloomy skies, all of them seems darker than normal. A few lights burn in their windows, but mostly their shutters have been closed for the night, and with several of the lanterns that lights the street up extinguished by the rain that seems to creep through every single little crack in them, the streets are somewhat dark. The scent of chimney smoke fills the air, and the din of water trundles from the rooftops, splashing into dark alleys and turning street gutters into rivulets. In general, people tend to stay inside this evening, and as a result of that, you've only met a small handful of city-guards, all of them in a bad, depressive mood. All of the trees you've seen has lost their leaves, although it's only the first day of autumn. Only in the inns and taverns are there enough light to light the street up, but the music that comes out from them seems a bit sadder than normal.

You don't know how you ended up together. Walking down the lonely street, some of you with a purpose, some of you without, your little group meets nobody except some city-guards, none of them bothered to talk to you. After changing direction once more, you suddenly find yourself in a almost pitch-black alley, only the moon's wicked light makes you able to see something at all.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's nothing magical in this, it's just a somewhat depressive evening. Well, talk with each other, and say when you're done introducing, so I can move the plot on.
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-08-04 at 03:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: The shackled city - chapter 1, Life's bazaar

Pindinbar trudged through the dark streets of the city on foot, leading his pony behind him. He would have liked to have ridden rather than walked, but at the dawn of the world the gods had seen fit to forge gnomes with better night vision than ponies, and he certainly wasn't going to question their judgment.

He noticed that he was not alone in the street, and he knew that the others must know of his presence as well, even if their eyes are unaccustomed to the dark, due to the sound of his mount's hooves on the cobblestones. He wondered if his chance companions might know of someplace in the city he might find a place to rest and stable the war pony his mentor had gifted unto him.

"Excuse me," he said, addressing no particular individual, but rather petitioning the entire group, "You wouldn't happen to know of a trustworthy inn where a poor gnome could secure a night's lodging for himself and his pony, would you?"

He gestured to his mount and continued, "Peter and I will probably be on our way again in the morning, but I fear the hour has grown too late to continue our journey this night."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

3. - Top - End - #3

Trocken

The dwarf was dressed in brown and black. Well, that was the natural color of the clothes. He had a strong smell to him that drove you back, and even if the moon hadn't been out, everyone would have known exactly where he was. He navigated the streets easily in the night as during the day, and felt comfortable with the dark.

Hearing the gnome behind him speak, he whirls around, and his left hand flies to an axe handle. A second later, he determines that there is no threat, and so he relaxes visibly.

A trustworthy inn? What's a fellow like you looking for a trustworthy inn when there's three brothels around the corner? They've probably even got some mares for your friend there.

He laughs heartily for a good 30 seconds, not paying much attention to anyone, and then grins.

Got to have some jokes when you can. I don't know if it's trustworthy, but there's a place a few blocks from here where I've been hanging my hat. Staying in the common room, but it seems I always get plenty of space.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Thecla

Thecla stops to watch the two, she's been out looking for either the homeless to help, or thieves to teach a lesson to. She's carrying her mace, dark streets are not always safe for lone people.

Once the dwarf finishes, she says, Why would you refer him to a brothel? At an inn he'd get what he needed, and not some so called extras that cost even more. I'm sure the Temple would know where a trustworthy inn is around here.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Moon
    Like a child following a parade through town, the group seems to have picked up a hanger-on. Making hardly any sound at all, a girl, young and hardly taller than the boisterous dwarf, follows the group, carrying a parasol against the rain.

She dips the parasol back for a moment, and now all those with decent sight can see what an incongruous sight the follower is. She looks young; perhaps 14 or 15 by human standards, and dressed in a strange mixture of women's finery and street clothes. She looks from side to side.
    Okay, pretty sure I lost them. They didn't get a real good look at me, and they won't look for long in the rain. Still, better hang out with some armed people...
    As she half-turns to look behind, a watcher might be able to note the slim shine of a rapier resting against well-worn breeches, as well as pick out a small case of crossbow quarrels hanging across the rain-stained silk blouse she wears. Turning back to the group, the newcomer smiles.
    "I know a place, 'cuz I'm from here," she offers, hopefully.
    "And it ain't far either. Food's cheap and good, um," She pauses, looking at the dwarf, "And...I know the general place you'd go to look. You know, for that." She makes a face, twirling the parasol absently as she addresses the group at large again.
    "So whaddaya say? My name is Moon, and I'll be your guide tonight?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Dan'yel

On the edge of a group stands a young man with darkish sandy brown hair and glasses, who has been quietly listening in up to this point.
    I also am new to the area. Any advice and guidance on where to stay would be appreciated, ma'am.
    On the ground behind the figure that's clad in what appears to be desert robes, a rat scuffles about.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Thecla

Thecla looks over the assortment of individuals that she's suddenly found herself with. Most of all, she looks over the young seeming elf, wondering why she's on the street. She considers both of the offers, it seems it's either an offer of a shady establishment, or a place where the young elf may get a kick back for bringing in customers. She mentally sighs and replies to both of them, I think I'd prefer to check at the Temple first, they'd know of a good place for you to stay.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Moon
    Moon sighs, blowing a tendril of wet reddish hair away from her face.
    "Okay, whatever. Just so long as it doesn't smell like incense. Let's just get out of the rain, huh?"
    She returns Thecla's appraising look with one of her own.
    Mace plus kind of haughty plus churchy. Huh. On the other hand, maybe that's exactly who I need to hang around right about now...
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2008-08-04 at 08:39 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlueWizardGirl

"All I need is some assurance I won't be robbed while I rest, nothing more," the gnome says, "I would just sleep on the street if I weren't worried about Peter here."

Turning to the human girl, he asks, "Whose temple do you speak of? I serve the Lady Ehlonna myself, but I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I were to seek aid at the house of a similarly minded god."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Trocken

Moon, nice to meet ya. I'm Trocken, and I don't pay for that. Well, I tried to once, but she gave my money back and told me to get out. Then she hit me with a stick. And there are people who'll do that for free all over. Anyways, I'd love to have you show me around. Maybe I can find a better place to stay than that common room down the road.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Dan'yel

My name is Dan'yel, and it's a pleasure to meet you miss. And I agree that 'any port in a storm' sounds pretty good right around now.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Seraphina

"Right now, I'd settle for almost anywhere...just as long as it's safe, and we won't have anyone breathing down our necks..." says a quiet voice, which, until now, had belonged to an unoticed body trailing along in the shadows. Trailing along, because when you're in a group, and people are looking for an individual...groups aren't noticed. A young, slightly halfling inhabits the body, looking a bit nervous, not to mention wet to the bone.

Seraphina tries to not look hugely interested in Thecla's answer to the gnome, as she trails along..

Mace, and 'The' church...this doesn't look good...
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Thecla

Thecla looks over the variety of people that seem to need a reliable place to stay. She thinks hard over what she knows since they probably don't want to sleep at a Temple, and remembers one that should work for everyone that is interested, but first things first, she needs to be polite and introduce herself. Um, yes, I'm Thecla, a cleric of St Cuthbert. Short and to the point.

Instead of tromping through the rain to multiple places. There is a popular place called the Drunken Morkoth Inn. They are generally reliable and it is usually the most popular. They have reasonable rates and no 'extras' to worry about. Or there's always the Temple where I'm currently staying, but they don't feed you, only offer you a roof over your head.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

14. - Top - End - #14

Trocken

No offense, Lady Priestess, but I'm guessing they don't have ale at your church. That means I vote for the Morkoth. I'm thirsty after a long day, and definitely need a meal.

As if on cue, his stomach rumbles entirely too loudly.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Dan'yel

While the temple might well be a safer place to stay, I'm afraid I'm in need of some nourishment as well. So, for better or for worse, I have to suggest the inn as well.

The rat, meanwhile, snuffles about in a pile of trash.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Moon
    The elf's eyes light up at the mention of the Drunken Morkoth, and now you can see that one of her eyes is a bright pale blue, and the other much darker.
    "Ooh, that's a good place. There's always interesting people there, and sometimes they'll even serve me there. I can totally lead you guys there; how about it?"
    She points down the street, and this in turn reveals a pair of weathered white gloves in the style of nobles on her arms. "C'mon, I can use the company!"

17. - Top - End - #17

Trocken

Sure. I'll even buy the first round of ale. You coming with us, Lady Priestess?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Thecla

Yes...to make sure you all make it there safely. I hate to think of any of you getting jumped out here in the dark. She heads off, leading the way to the Drunken Morkoth. She keeps looking back to be sure no one has gotten lost along the way.

Once there, she'll open the door for everyone to troop in on inside.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Moon
    Instant suspicion courses through Moon's mind, and with a snap she closes her parasol and she backs a little away.
    Who talks like that? NO ONE talks like that! 'make sure nothing happens to you,' 'hate to think of you getting jumped here in the dark.' Even Broke-Face Noz doesn't talk like that to marks. "
    Then Moon pauses, looking a little more closely at Thecla.
    God. She really means it!
    With rather exaggerated nonchalance, Moon walks along after the group.
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2008-08-05 at 06:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlueWizardGirl

Pindinbar would really rather stay the night in the temple, but he sees that the rest of the group seems to favor the inn. It's been a long time since his last encounter with civilized folk, and he feels like cherishing their company a little longer, so he agrees to go along with the crowd. At least they're not total strangers.

"The name's Suttles, Pindinbar Suttles... and I've already introduced you to Peter. I guess if the rest of you are going to stay at the inn I might as well tag along... no offense to your temple, Miss Thecla, it's just been a while since I last enjoyed the company of... well, they're not friends yet, but I guess that's just a matter of time."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Dan'yel

He nods to Thecla. Thank you, ma'am. I'd like to think that anyone who jumped me might find themselves surprised, however company is always appreciated, especially when one can learn new things from them.
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2008-08-05 at 08:07 PM. Reason: @v *pffffffffft* =P

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22

Spoiler
    Show
    Who says you just make it to the inn safely.

While walking towards the Drunken Morkoth inn, down the wet and dark streets, you suddenly hear a plaintive cry for help slicing through the constant sound of raindrops hitting the ground, from a nearby alley. Shortly after, a man yells at someone, "Stop screaming! We don't want to awaken people, do we?"

After hearing a loud "bump" and a muffled cry, another voice growls, "And stay away from the orphanage, you got that?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't hope this annoys you too much, but you moved on rather quick.
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-08-05 at 08:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Moon
    Moon knows when to leave well enough alone. She makes no indication of having heard the noises from the alley, although she does hook her parasol over one shoulder while she rummages around in the small satchel on her back...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Thecla

Thecla is quite the opposite. She runs right down the alley, mace raised and ready to beat some heads in.

((no worries, Thecla loves to beat up thieves and muggers))

edit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by wxdruid; 2008-08-05 at 08:28 PM.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueWizardGirl

Pindinbar's hand flies to his bow. He has already nocked an arrow by the time he remembers that he's in the city, and in the city people don't just go around brandishing weapons. The readied bow might even make him look like the perpetrator...

*But would the Goddess let that stop her from helping a person in need? And Miss Thecla's got a mace out...*

"What seems to be the problem?" he shouts, releasing Peter's reins and walking into the darkness of the alley.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+3)[6]
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Thecla and Pindinbar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can see four men. Two of the men, 30 feet down the street, their faces painted half black, half white, are assaulting a third man who lies face down on the wet cobblestones. One of the attackers lifts the victim by the hood of his blue cloak and thrusts him against a wall, while the other attacker growls, "I'm saying it once more; stay away from the orphanage."The fourth man is standing 50 feet down the street and is facing away from you. It looks like the fourth man is watching for something. Not even one of them notices you.

Everyone:
    Roll initiative.
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-08-05 at 08:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Thecla

Thecla yells, Stop in the name of St Cuthbert! Yes...she means it, being outnumbered doesn't scare her in the least. When she gets close enough, she swings her mace at the man who's talking, not holding anything back.

Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Moon
    Moon steps smartly to the side of the alley, keeping low.

29. - Top - End - #29

BlueWizardGirl

((OOC: Not that I don't appreciate Thecla's enthusiasm, but shouldn't we wait until we've all rolled initiative and have determined proper order before we act?

...if we can go ahead, Pindinbar's got an arrow with that fourth guy in the back's name on it. He won't want to risk hitting the victim (no precise shot yet, so penalties for firing into melee) and besides, the fourth guy is in a good position to escape if he's not dealt with promptly.))
    Last edited by Ascension; 2008-08-05 at 09:03 PM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    ((OOC: Not that I don't appreciate Thecla's enthusiasm, but shouldn't we wait until we've all rolled initiative and have determined proper order before we act?
    I would like that, yes. It keeps things easier. As an alternative, you can post a rough description of what you would like to do, and then i will roll initiative and attack/damage for you, and post what happens:

Example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Player A and B during a surprise round, using this encounter as an example.

Player A says he wants to shoot the man that is talking with his crossbow.
    Player B wants to charge the guy who's facing away from the rest of the group.

My post would then look like this:
    <Initiative Rolls>
    <Attack rolls>
    <Damage rolls>
    Player A shoots at the talking man, but his target managed to spot the arrow coming towards him just before it hits him. With a quick dodge, the arrow hits he wall, and the man draws his sword.
    Player B charges the man who faces away, and with a mighty blow, the man doesn't notice the axe before it has capped off his head from the rest of his body.

Make a spot check, everyone.
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-08-05 at 09:22 PM.