New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 83, Page 77

Tool has 24 B dwagons at his 'disposal'
    only 3 bought it during Ansom's punch through.
    With 3 KISS (could be elevated to warlords) + foolamancer + himself
    he could get 4 stacks with one full and 3 almost full

Stack 1:
    Stanley, foolamancer, 6 dwagons

Stacks2 - 4:
    A KISS + 6 dwagons each

Now he could have had 3 dwagons left behind at GK during the Parson Plan giving him full stacks for the KISS led ones.
    Just my 2 coppers...

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Yes, he mentioned running away before, but we didn't see him raiding the treasury or anything like that - we saw him gearing up for war.
    The reason he's not raiding the treasury is because he can't take it with him. He's presumably spent all the money he could on his turn to minimize what Ansom can get...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finn Solomon View Post
    So what? The Crisis cover is what most people will think of.
    Not if you're raised as a catholic. I didn't even remember the Crisis cover until someone spoke about it.

About Parson, his situation is dire. Ansom may be all noble and such but look at Webinar from the same city. Their king may be pragmatic and Webinar like. Radishes everywhere and all of Stanley's people put to the sword. Parson alone was almost able to defeat the coalition, is keeping him worth the danger he represents? Would the other members in the coalition feel comfortable with Parson going to Jetstone?

In a way GK makes me think about the siege of Nineveh. A coalition razed the city to the ground and killed everyone there.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2007-10-25 at 01:31 PM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

4. - Top - End - #64
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    About Parson, his situation is dire. Ansom may be all noble and such but look at Webinar from the same city. Their king may be pragmatic and Webinar like. Radishes everywhere and all of Stanley's people put to the sword. Parson alone was almost able to defeat the coalition, his keeping him worth the danger he represents? Would the other members in the coalition feel comfortable with Parson going to Jetstone?
    In any case, Parson might have no idea that Ansom's quarrel is with Stanley personally. The clearest indication he's gotten is Stanley's rant -- which is so suffused with his it's-all-about-me attitude that Parson has every reason to discount it (since he has no reason to believe that Stanley happens to be right this time, and it really is about him personally).

Hmmm... I can think of one gambit, based on playing the opponent, not the game.:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ansom is expecting to be attacked over the lake this turn. If Parson thinks it through, he'll know that Ansom is expecting the attack: attacking was what he intended to do because he considered it the last hope of salvaging the situation, and Parson knows that Ansom isn't stupid. Ergo, if the attack doesn't materialize (if Stanley is indeed beating feet rather than making that attack himself), Ansom will be wondering what the boop is going on. Perhaps he can be bluffed into believing that there's some trap being laid for him that was worth passing up a perfect opportunity to decapitate the Coalition....

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Parson has no idea what Anson is like, only that he is the enemy.

Parson's focus is the survival of those he knows/likes.

We may soon see important interaction between Parson and the Thinkomancer, possible the Thinkomancer already knows Parson from sharing a mind with Misty.

Stanley will likely die at some point, one option is he tries to kill Parson, and Bogroll instead kills him similar to Return of the Jedi.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    It was pretty much unwinnable when he showed up! Outnumbered 25 to 1? His only strength a nearly invulnerable fortress, and air superiority? A well organized opponant? Serious group disfunction on his side?

Yeah, any noob should have been able to win that set up. What Parson really needs is a challenge!
    Parson also had perfect intel and communications (knowing the location of every unit everywhere, and being able to send orders to any of his units instantly anywhere), vs. an enemy who had to rely on scouts and, mostly, carrier pigeons (cawwier pigeons?). That's a big enough advantage that, with the dwagons, he had a decent chance of winning.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

It was pretty much unwinnable when he showed up! Outnumbered 25 to 1? His only strength a nearly invulnerable fortress, and air superiority? A well organized opponant? Serious group disfunction on his side?

Yeah, any noob should have been able to win that set up. What Parson really needs is a challenge!
    And apparently, now he has found one.

Keep in mind, though that the Summoning spell was supposed to be cast by a Findamancer, not a Croakamancer. So there is still the issue of Parson of fitting the bill for all that was asked and yet, not quite being the ideal warlord that he was meant to be. It remains to be seen how he'll react now that he begins to take it more seriously (with Misty apparently dead and all).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    Fanclubbery list:

Miko fanclub.

Roy fanclub.

Hinjo fanclub.

The Chief fanclub.

The Xykon fanclub. Because Evil is just that cool.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Parson also had perfect intel and communications (knowing the location of every unit everywhere, and being able to send orders to any of his units instantly anywhere), vs. an enemy who had to rely on scouts and, mostly, carrier pigeons (cawwier pigeons?). That's a big enough advantage that, with the dwagons, he had a decent chance of winning.
    That's why I became so annoyed with this strip/story. Parson doesn't HAVE to win for this to be an enjoyable story, but he has to have a chance! Even though he was outnumbered and out gunned, his intel setup gave him enough to make the battle a bit more even.

When Jillian "lucked upon" the wounded A-dwagons and all three uncroaked Warlords in one convient spot, and Ansom was just a whistle away? Parson should have seen the possibilities of losing everything he had so carefully set up, and prepared for them.

Instead he got his head handed to him. That's a newbie mistake, one made when teaching someone how to play a TBS game, not one made by someone who designs his own games. A designer good enough that three-four of his friends are willing to give up their evenings to come over and play.

The slow pace frustrates me, but as a married man with kids, I understand where Jamie and Rob are coming from. My brother said getting married was the worst thing that ever happened to his golf game! He lost ten strokes off his handicap. A slow, but well told story is still worth checking on. But a story where the author is out to kill his protagonist? Where the lead has no chance at all? Almost as boring as when the antagonist has no chance at all.
    Last edited by Surfing HalfOrc; 2007-10-25 at 02:06 PM.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Before we determine whether Parson has a plausible chance of winning, we must first decide what 'winning' involves.

What's the victory scenario for Parson in this comic?
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
    What's the victory scenario for Parson in this comic?
    What's the biggest one? In the end, when all is said and done, and nobody moves anymore... Parson wins if he's alive and unhurt.

Anything else is just fluff.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Instead he got his head handed to him. That's a newbie mistake, one made when teaching someone how to play a TBS game, not one made by someone who designs his own games.
    Not really, if it gave you something like a 90% chance of winning the game (I'm making numbers but those are not important). If Ansom had followed Vinny's advice Parson would have been ok. I'd probably have been as greedy as he was and would have risked it. That kind of odds are ok, winning 9 out of 10 games is good.

The thing Parson didn't understand then is that this wasn't a game. Because he failed Misty is dead. When it's for real, you can not lose the battle that will cost you the "game".

12. - Top - End - #72

Not really, if it gave you something like a 90% chance of winning the game (I'm making numbers but those are not important). If Ansom had followed Vinny's advice Parson would have been ok. I'd probably have been as greedy as he was and would have risked it. That kind of odds are ok, winning 9 out of 10 games is good.

The thing Parson didn't understand then is that this wasn't a game. Because he failed Misty is dead. When it's for real, you can not lose the battle that will cost you the "game".
    If he hadn't tried something (and he really didn't have any good safe options), then they were all doomed.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Is it my imagination, or was Sizemore acting less...resigned in this strip? Maybe Parson's determination is having an effect on him.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #74

Great page!

I don't think The Tool is running away, I think he's going for the pliers while he has a chance!

I think Parson will save him and all will be well on Gobwin Knob!

Please Please Please let there be an update on Saturday!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bongos View Post
    I don't think The Tool is running away, I think he's going for the pliers while he has a chance!
    I thought about that, but in the strip before he said "this post is no longer needed."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    What's the biggest one? In the end, when all is said and done, and nobody moves anymore... Parson wins if he's alive and unhurt.

Anything else is just fluff.
    Parson did want to go back home... or at least he did want to. I suppose if he accepts that idea that this is his new reality then he might feel more comfortable about staying here, wherever "here" is.

Certainly Parson will feel a lot more satisfaction in this world than he did in the old one, as long as he accepts that it is real and permanent.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the two aren't totally exclusive. He could be planning to go for the pliers, and then find someplace besides GK to be.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Great page!

I think Parson will save him and all will be well on Gobwin Knob!

Please Please Please let there be an update on Saturday!
    I dunno. The "goodbye/good luck" sounds a lot like a kiss-off, though he surely isn't going to abandon the pliers, either, so he is certainly going for them right now.

Issa Mister E.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

19. - Top - End - #79

I thought about that, but in the strip before he said "this post is no longer needed."
    I assumed that meant the guard post for the situation room (since he's breaking up the Eyemancer, which is only evident reason to keep the place under high security).

That said, we can't yet definitively say whether he's running away or making his own attempt to grab the pliers (or, as noted above, possibly both).
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-10-25 at 02:58 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vreejack View Post
    Parson did want to go back home... or at least he did want to. I suppose if he accepts that idea that this is his new reality then he might feel more comfortable about staying here, wherever "here" is.
    Which is why it's fluff. As long as he's alive, unhurt and in no danger of dying... does it matter where he lives?

Certainly Parson will feel a lot more satisfaction in this world than he did in the old one, as long as he accepts that it is real and permanent.
    Satisfaction? How do you see that?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    That said, we can't yet definitively say whether he's running away or making his own attempt to grab the pliers (or, as noted above, possibly both).
    Maybe the pliers can bring Misty back to life if Parson is attuned to them.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Satisfaction? How do you see that?
    He's taking an active role in his troubles in Erfworld, instead of yielding to apathy like he was doing back on Earth. That in itself will allow for a more satisfying existence.

Of course, if he does return to Earth he might apply his newfound motivation there as well.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    He's taking an active role in his troubles in Erfworld, instead of yielding to apathy like he was doing back on Earth. That in itself will allow for a more satisfying existence.
    OTOH, if he remains as a warlord / leader type, he'll be ordering Erf units to battle, perhaps to their deaths. He's coming fully into the realization of what being croaked means in Erfworld and the individuality of the units. That will, of course, extend to his opponents.

He doesn't seem to be the type to find much satisfaction in death and destruction when it's real - only when it's simulated. The abstractness of the board depersonalized the Erfworlders he was killing.

Of course, if he does return to Earth he might apply his newfound motivation there as well.
    Yup, this has been a GOOD kick in the pants for him.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

I dunno. The "goodbye/good luck" sounds a lot like a kiss-off, though he surely isn't going to abandon the pliers, either, so he is certainly going for them right now.

Issa Mister E.
    Meh... So did Jillian's, "I'm going to go croak some dwagons. Don't cry over my fallen body," speech. Think Stanley will be as "lucky" as Jillian was?

I mean, he should be. 20 B-dwagons, three elite KISS warlord/uber-fighters, and the Arkenhammer. Against 3 wounded warlords, a flying carpet, 3 wounded heavy-duty contractors, and 1-2 wounded gwiffins. At this point, I fully expect him to be slaughtered by something incredibly lame. Like a random lightning bolt from a clear blue sky.

I don't know. Is my dissapointment over the recent turn of events coming through?

After the last "battle," Ansom lost what? A bat, two(?) gwiffins, and eight Woodsy Elves. Parson/Stanley lost 3 B-dwagons, 19 A-dwagons, 3 uncroaked Warlords, and Misty.

Parson/Stanley no longer have air superiority, no longer have "state-of-the-art" intel, and no longer have sufficient "'Mancers" necessary to boot up the table.

Ansom has 60% of his siege engines, and can, with slightly more difficulty, punch a hole through Parson's defenses. Then his overwhelming numbers will simply crush the gobwins remaining behind, Parson, Wanda, Sizemore, Bogroll, the two Warlords and the remaining, unnamed 'Mancer.

Does anybody honestly see a way for Parson to even survive without a DeM? Let alone take the fight to Ansom like he did last time?

Winning is no longer an option for Parson. Surviving is looking mighty grim as well.
    Last edited by Surfing HalfOrc; 2007-10-25 at 03:28 PM.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Firbolg in the Playground

To all indications, nobody but Wanda and Jillian herself knew that she was royal. It's possible that Jillian was referring to some other kingdom, but here I fall back on the principle that "Occam's Razor" is not the name of one of the tools in Wanda's interrogation kit.

The most straightforward reconstruction of Jillian's past history is that she became a barbarian mercenary warlord after fleeing (voluntarily or otherwise) from GK.
    She may be the "daughter" (for what this means in Erworld) of Gobwin Knob's previous king, but I don't think she ever was a ruler herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn Solomon View Post
    So what? The Crisis cover is what most people will think of. Most people who read comic books, but then again it's likely that most people who read Erf read comics.
    You forget that Internet is much more spread out than Marvel & DC's distribution. I've never read a superhero comics in my whole life!

Parson did want to go back home... or at least he did want to.
    All I remember is that he wanted to leave home and go live in a fantasy world entirely dictated by the logic of wargames.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    She may be the "daughter" (for what this means in Erworld) of Gobwin Knob's previous king, but I don't think she ever was a ruler herself.
    Other people (sizemore?) could recognize Jill, it seems strange that only Wanda (an outsider from a lost tribe) would know her if she were from GK.

27. - Top - End - #87

Other people (sizemore?) could recognize Jill, it seems strange that only Wanda (an outsider from a lost tribe) would know her if she were from GK.
    How so? The obvious explanation is that it came out during interrogation.

28. - Top - End - #88

I find it hard to believe Jillian Zamussels is from a kingdom called Gobwin Knob, but I guess anything is possible.

I think there is a different explanation of how Stanley cost her her kingdom that she did'nt want.

I don't know why you need "full paint" if your running away, is'nt that kind of thing used for battle? Unseen because of being veiled then suddenly appearing from nowhere in full paint on dwagons!

SO FEARSOME!!!

I think Parson could still use a Lookamancer to see what's going on, but it might have to be uncwoaked..

The Thinkamancer could probably still give orders. I think the Foolmancer creates illusions, and that was his function in the table, to make an illusion of the map for others to see. The Lookamancer looked and told the Foolamancer what to make and the Thinkamncer linked them and delivered the real time orders.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

Nice speech by Stanley. That really motivated the troops.

The "clown" quote from It was pretty sharp, though. "...and this clown." "We all float down here." Was that a way of saying he was more dangerous than he looks? Or was t a reference to the power of illusion to turn your own fears against you?
    It was a quote from Stephen King's "It", said by Pennywise the Clown.

Clowns are horrible
    If something's worth doing, it's too hard. ...or it can wait till tomorrow.

oh, little ice cream friends! thog delay boredom-driven rampage only for you!

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

How so? The obvious explanation is that it came out during interrogation.
    They seem to share some sort of past, but you're right, from what we know their relation may have resulted just from capture and interrogation.

On the other hand it seems strange Stanley would not recognize a royal from his ruling family, she would have been born like she is now. I wonder also about the city and its units, wouldn't they recognize her rank and obey her?