New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Axe's Skull and Shackles

Quote Originally Posted by SirCatBeard View Post
    "Elim." He replies, taking the hand. "Well, it's sort of a family heirloom. No, you are not quite who I would have expected Pluggy to have stolen the other from; may I ask how you got yours?"
    Sarra says nothing for a moment, and then gives a sharp smile. "Payment. Fer years of hard work."

Spoiler: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Show
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE!
    ┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE!
    ┻━┻ ︵ \\('0')// ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES!
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ Put.
    ಠ__ಠ The tables.
    ಠ___ಠ Back.
    (╮°-°)╮┳━┳
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ NEVER!!!!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

”I’m Dimitri,” he says. ”I take it you were also drugged and shanghaied by these sadistic maniacs?”

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by Table Flipper View Post
    Sarra says nothing for a moment, and then gives a sharp smile. "Payment. Fer years of hard work."
    Elim files the pause in his mind but outwardly smiles, "Ah.". If they are reasonably alone, he adds in a hushed tone, "Well then ye be wanting it back as much as I, keep an eye for opportunities."

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    ”I’m Dimitri,” he says. ”I take it you were also drugged and shanghaied by these sadistic maniacs?”
    "Aye, seems a good portion of the crew joined that way."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Gambling

Godfrey, your challenge is met by a raised yellowish hand from Jaundiced Jape displaying a fan of cards. He points at the deck demandingly, then makes some swift hand gestures at the woman beside him. "Jape says have a seat, and let's see what you're made of," Syl translates, cracking her knucles and cackling.

Dmitri, you seek out Badger and find her already at cards, laying down hand after hand and passing around gold and cups of the ol' rum ration with the blonde woman who 'gave' Elim her dagger, Slippery Syl, her mute shadow of a half orc, Jaundiced Jape, Godfrey, and a freckled rigger who appears to eschew the very idea of shoes with a vehement passion.

Badger motions Dmitri over, patting the spot on deck next to her. "Been waiting- Syl, deal him in." Badger appears to play recklessly, bluffing and folding almost at random to throw others off. An interesting tactic, to be sure.... but not a terribly effective one.

Elim wanders over at around this time and manages to get a spot right next to the object of his interest, Slippery Syl. Cards flicker out of her hands to deal you in. "Glad my knife got to see some blood today," she comments as the game begins. "Just a shame it wasn't by my hand. I wonder, do I mark the handle anyway?" Her eyes slide over to her signing friend. "Jape says the Owlbear eats new recruits for breakfast."

Then she turns to the entire group. "Alright, this round is for rum rations... and, to make it fun, ten gold to split for the winners."

Spoiler: Gambling
    Show

Alright, so we're going to play a nice, simple little game called Bounder, because it's possibly the fastest way to simulate gambling.

How it works is thus: The house rolls 3d6. Your goal is to roll 2d20, and have one number higher and one number lower.
    You can, in your initial post, put an intent to cheat with a sleight of hand roll, but Syl might catch you. You don't want Syl to catch you.

For example: Syl, as the house, gets a total of 15.
    Jaundiced Jape rolls 2d20 and gets a 2 and a 6. This is a loss.
    Barefoot Samms rolls 2d20 and gets a 4 and a 17 This is a win.
    Badger rolls 2d20 and declares intent to cheat. and gets a 4 and a 12, which would be a losing hand, but she cheats to make it win. Slippery Syl then rolls to detect said cheating, and so on.

Spoiler: This round
    Show

Slippery Syl, as the house: (3d6)[14]

Badger, as a player, with intent to cheat: (1d20)[7] (1d20)[20]
    SoH roll: (1d20+2)[6]

Jaundiced Jape, as a player: (1d20)[13] (1d20)[2]

Barefoot Samms, as a player: (1d20)[9] (1d20)[10]

Spoiler: The gamblers
    Show

Sarra

Sarra finds Cochobhar and Rosie side by side, egging on an arm wrestling match where the loser apparently gets their arm thrust down into a field of broken glass.

"So you're the new lass," Conchobar says, tipping his magnificent hat up at the human. "Shame you're too late to place a bet. You should give it a try tomorrow. It's totally 'armless, I swear. You can handle it. " He chuckles at his own joke and glances over to Rosie, who groans as if the terrible pun is causing her physical pain. His eyebrows draw together, clearly this man has no means of flirting beyond endless punnery.

"It's a pleasure," Rosie intones sarcastically. "Your sorry rear will fit right in with this fop, I'm sure." She elbows Conchobhar sharply and barks a laugh, disrupting his careful array of sweat-soaked silken shirts. "If I had my fiddle, I'd play you a clebratory jig." She intersperses her words with many creative curses, and looks rueful at the lack of said instrument.

Spoiler: Rosie and Conchobhar
    Show
    Last edited by aReallyGreatAxe; 2020-09-03 at 12:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

"Flesh and bones and charm", Godfrey says and wink at Syl, "Are there any houserules?"

He listen to the rules and wait for the other gamblers to join in the table before starting to play, but seemed more interested in watching any would-be cheater than actually winning.

Show
    Godfrey wont be cheating instead he'll try catch people trying to cheat. He wont tell though, just take mental notes to which ones are cheaters and avoid hands were he caught them.

Perception: (1d20+6)[16]

(2d20)[12][20](32)

"Other than gambling, is there any use for gold in the ship?", he eventually asks Syl after a losing hand, "I can see it having use when we reach an harbor town... But while overseas, unless someone on board offer services...".

"Actually, even on portuary cities I guess pirates dont pay for goods", Godfrey thinks outloud and shrugs.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by aReallyGreatAxe View Post
    Elim wanders over at around this time and manages to get a spot right next to the object of his interest, Slippery Syl. Cards flicker out of her hands to deal you in. "Glad my knife got to see some blood today," she comments as the game begins. "Just a shame it wasn't by my hand. I wonder, do I mark the handle anyway?" Her eyes slide over to her signing friend. "Jape says the Owlbear eats new recruits for breakfast."
    "Go ahead, call it a gift or something; there wouldn't have been any blood without it," Elim says as he sits, casually. "I can see why," he mutters, gesturing to the incipient bruise on his side. "Bet he's useful for a lot of other heavy work around the ship, too."

Show
    (1d20)[20] (1d20)[18]
    Perception (but primarily watching Syl): (1d20+6)[8]
    Going to play this round straight, at least.
    Last edited by SirCatBeard; 2020-09-02 at 09:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67

Elim files the pause in his mind but outwardly smiles, "Ah.". If they are reasonably alone, he adds in a hushed tone, "Well then ye be wanting it back as much as I, keep an eye for opportunities."
    "No doubt." Sarra nods and walks away calmly.

Sarra finds Cochobhar and Rosie side by side, egging on an arm wrestling match where the loser apparently gets their arm thrust down into a field of broken glass.

"So you're the new lass," Conchobar says, tipping his magnificent hat up at the human. "Shame you're too late to place a bet. You should give it a try tomorrow. It's totally 'armless, I swear. You can handle it. " He chuckles at his own joke and glances over to Rosie, who groans as if the terrible pun is causing her physical pain. His eyebrows draw together, clearly this man has no means of flirting beyond endless punnery.
    Sarra laughs at both the puns and, perhaps primarily, at Rosie's reaction. "Aye. I'm sure it can lead to quite the handsome payout indeed.

Spoiler: Note
    Show
    We must be Roman and Carthaginian, because the Pun-ic Wars have begun.

Rosie... looks rueful at the lack of said instrument.

Show
    Sarra nods along as Rosie tells her tale. Sarra certainly understood what Conchobhar saw in Rosie, but maybe not why he thought she would consider him a good match. Oh well, Sarra just got here. None of her business. "Well that's a shame. What happened to yer fiddle?"
    Last edited by Table Flipper; 2020-09-02 at 05:33 PM.

Show
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ Put.
    ಠ__ಠ The tables.
    ಠ___ಠ Back.
    (╮°-°)╮┳━┳
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ NEVER!!!!

8. - Top - End - #68

"Aye, seems a good portion of the crew joined that way."
    ”Hmmmm...and then he pits us all against each other. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

Gambling
    Dmitri, you seek out Badger and find her already at cards, laying down hand after hand and passing around gold and cups of the ol' rum ration with the blonde woman who 'gave' Elim her dagger, Slippery Syl, her mute shadow of a half orc, Jaundiced Jape, Godfrey, and a freckled rigger who appears to eschew the very idea of shoes with a vehement passion.

Badger motions Dmitri over, patting the spot on deck next to her. "Been waiting- Syl, deal him in." Badger appears to play recklessly, bluffing and folding almost at random to throw others off. An interesting tactic, to be sure.... but not a terribly effective one.

Then she turns to the entire group. "Alright, this round is for rum rations... and, to make it fun, ten gold to split for the winners."

Show

Alright, so we're going to play a nice, simple little game called Bounder, because it's possibly the fastest way to simulate gambling.

How it works is thus: The house rolls 3d6. Your goal is to roll 2d20, and have one number higher and one number lower.
    You can, in your initial post, put an intent to cheat with a sleight of hand roll, but Syl might catch you. You don't want Syl to catch you.

For example: Syl, as the house, gets a total of 15.
    Jaundiced Jape rolls 2d20 and gets a 2 and a 6. This is a loss.
    Barefoot Samms rolls 2d20 and gets a 4 and a 17 This is a win.
    Badger rolls 2d20 and declares intent to cheat. and gets a 4 and a 12, which would be a losing hand, but she cheats to make it win. Slippery Syl then rolls to detect said cheating, and so on.

Spoiler: This round
    Show

Slippery Syl, as the house: (d20)[16]

Badger, as a player, with intent to cheat: (d20)[11] [roll2]
    SoH roll: [roll3]

Jaundiced Jape, as a player: [roll4] [roll5]

Barefoot Samms, as a player: [roll6] [roll7]

Spoiler: The gamblers
    Show

Sarra

"It's a pleasure," Rosie intones sarcastically. "Your sorry rear will fit right in with this fop, I'm sure." She elbows Conchobhar sharply and barks a laugh, disrupting his careful array of sweat-soaked silken shirts. "If I had my fiddle, I'd play you a clebratory jig." She intersperses her words with many creative curses, and looks rueful at the lack of said instrument.

Show
    “Ah, there you are! I don’t suppose you have any cigarettes in the pot either, do you?” Dimitri can’t help but hold back a snort at Badger’s reckless gambling. Let him learn the rules before he starts to bluff.

Show

(d20)[16]
    (d20)[11]

Can I use bluff for anything?

He can’t help but grin at the winning hand, with. A smile as white as his hair. ”What did I tell you?”
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2020-09-03 at 10:04 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    ”Hmmmm...and then he pits us all against each other. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”
    "Could be I am," Elim hedges, "but far too early: many seem to have adjusted."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Syl seems to brush aside any further questions in the pursuit of dealing a right proper game.

Godfrey and Dmitri rake in the winnings this round, as does Badger- Godfrey, you notice that Badger appears to be counting cards, and doing a rather obvious job of it too.

As she reaches for her winnings, Syl's knife slams into the deck next to her palm, drawing the tiniest hair sliver of blood. "Next one to cheat gets it through the palm," she warns cheerily, counting the winnings out to Godfrey and Dmitri as Badger withdraws her hand and gets up, stammering something about having somewhere else to be.

"As for what to do with it..."
    Says Syl, ignoring Badger completely. "Could save it for port, yeah. could always spend it at Cut-throat Grok's. She's down in the hold, see. Daytime only. Has a little bit of everything."
    Spoiler: You have each won
    Show

Two additional rum rations and 5gp.

Spoiler: Elim has lost
    Show

His rum ration

Sarra

"My fiddle...." Rosie sighs longingly. "Well, I've seen it in that Cut-throat Grok's shop." Rosie says, managing to somehow imply both that Grok's both half otyugh, and a valid target for the lichloved feat. "But she won't sell it to me; I might've called her a few choice words." She blinks up at you innocently, as if daring you to mention the 'choice words' sprinkled throughout her speech.
    Last edited by aReallyGreatAxe; 2020-09-06 at 06:19 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

"I guess I'll get extra drunk tonight then", Godfrey grins and takes his prize.

Turning to Syl, he take the opportunity to chat a bit and know more about the ship's course.
    "How long until we get to a port town though? I fear you'll have no gold left if it takes too long and you guys play like this every night", he brags about his skill and luck, "But rest assured that I wont take any more gold out of your pockets. Tonight, I mean", he get up and leave the tables as to avoid losing what he just gained: Luck is a fickle thing after all.

With an idea and a plan on his mind, he decide to head where the owlbear is kept.

"Does the owlbear have a name? I do thing there must be a very interesting tale on that nickname and the way you ended here", he ask the big chainned man and sip from his rum, "I hope you can tell me those. Are you thirsty?", he says and offer his glass of rum to the man, fully aware the chains wont let him drink it.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

12. - Top - End - #72

As she reaches for her winnings, Syl's knife slams into the deck next to her palm, drawing the tiniest hair sliver of blood. "Next one to cheat gets it through the palm," she warns cheerily, counting the winnings out to Godfrey and Dmitri as Badger withdraws her hand and gets up, stammering something about having somewhere else to be.

Says Syl, ignoring Badger completely. "Could save it for port, yeah. could always spend it at Cut-throat Grok's. She's down in the hold, see. Daytime only. Has a little bit of everything."
    Elim frowns cheerfully at result "Ah, well, that's the way it goes sometimes. Refreshing to see someone perceptive enough to run a fair game, though."

13. - Top - End - #73

"My fiddle...." Rosie sighs longingly. "Well, I've seen it in that Cut-throat Grok's shop." Rosie says, managing to somehow imply both that Grok's both half otyugh, and a valid target for the lichloved feat. "But she won't sell it to me; I might've called her a few choice words." She blinks up at you innocently, as if daring you to mention the 'choice words' sprinkled throughout her speech.
    Sarra stifles a laugh at Rosie's attempt at innocence. "That is quite a pickle. Ya think she'd sell it to me? From there mayhaps it finds its way back to you. Oh, but fiddlesticks, I'm so poor followin' my recent 'recruitment.'" Sarra looks off into space with feigned wistfulness.
    Last edited by Table Flipper; 2020-09-08 at 10:21 PM.

Show
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ Put.
    ಠ__ಠ The tables.
    ಠ___ಠ Back.
    (╮°-°)╮┳━┳
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ NEVER!!!!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    "I guess I'll get extra drunk tonight then", Godfrey grins and takes his prize.

Turning to Syl, he take the opportunity to chat a bit and know more about the ship's course.
    "How long until we get to a port town though? I fear you'll have no gold left if it takes too long and you guys play like this every night", he brags about his skill and luck, "But rest assured that I wont take any more gold out of your pockets. Tonight, I mean", he get up and leave the tables as to avoid losing what he just gained: Luck is a fickle thing after all.

With an idea and a plan on his mind, he decide to head where the owlbear is kept.

"Does the owlbear have a name? I do thing there must be a very interesting tale on that nickname and the way you ended here", he ask the big chainned man and sip from his rum, "I hope you can tell me those. Are you thirsty?", he says and offer his glass of rum to the man, fully aware the chains wont let him drink it.
    The Owlbear is curled up small against the stairs to cradle his wounds, or at least as small as such a large man can get. He looks up in some part of shock as someone actually attempts to have a conversation with him, and reaches wistfully for the glass of rum, only to be brought up short by the chains affixing his hands to the mast.

"I don't.... I don't remember," he says, after a moment. "He's always called me Owlbear."

"But I wasn't always here. I do remember that. I had a home. And a ma. Then I didn't." The big man actually starts to tear up before he swallows them down. "Why'd He take me, you think?"

Suddenly, a dawning light in his eyes: "Does He want me to fight you too?"

Quote Originally Posted by Table Flipper View Post
    Sarra stifles a laugh at Rosie's attempt at innocence. "That is quite a pickle. Ya think she'd sell it to me? From there mayhaps it finds its way back to you. Oh, but fiddlesticks, I'm so poor followin' my recent 'recruitment.'" Sarra looks off into space with feigned wistfulness.
    Rosie looks tellingly off to one side. "Well, if hypothetically, of course, someone were to get this fiddle for themselves, and then should just so happen to get tired of it and give it to their good friend Rosie... Your good friend who just so happened to give you a loan... But be careful. Grok's bark is worse than her bite, but it's her vile breath that's the worst of all."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

"Here. Let me help", he says and bring the glass enough and even help the man drink it, "Not fighting me as far I'm aware. If it goes dfown to it just give a hard enough blow so that I can at least use it to fake being taken down with one hit".

He laughs but cut it short, as he dont wanjt to attract much attention to him talking.

"I was taken as well. I'm from the Ladies' Land. Do you remember where you from? And by he you say the captain or that Plugg guy?"

16. - Top - End - #76

Rosie looks tellingly off to one side. "Well, if hypothetically, of course, someone were to get this fiddle for themselves, and then should just so happen to get tired of it and give it to their good friend Rosie... Your good friend who just so happened to give you a loan... But be careful. Grok's bark is worse than her bite, but it's her vile breath that's the worst of all."
    Sarra nods. "She open this late, or do I gotta wait 'til tomorrow? And anything distinctive 'bout yers? in case she got two of 'em?"

Show
    ಠ_ಠ
    ಠ_ಠ Put.
    ಠ__ಠ The tables.
    ಠ___ಠ Back.
    (╮°-°)╮┳━┳
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ NEVER!!!!

17. - Top - End - #77

"Could be I am," Elim hedges, "but far too early: many seem to have adjusted."
    ”I didn’t say anything. Just a thought.”

Syl seems to brush aside any further questions in the pursuit of dealing a right proper game.

Godfrey and Dmitri rake in the winnings this round, as does Badger- Godfrey, you notice that Badger appears to be counting cards, and doing a rather obvious job of it too.

Spoiler: You have each won
    Show

Two additional rum rations and 5gp.

Spoiler: Elim has lost
    Show

His rum ration

Sarra

“Good game,” Dimitri says, slightly calmer for the first time since waking up here. The energy of a good table always managed to ground him. “Are there cigarettes in the shop or up for trade? And how did you all end up here in the first place?”