New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Crimson Throne IC

'Does that mean your lordship has had some training in that area yourself.' Andrei says wondering if Barvasi can actually see the Dragon himself. 'I must say that he looks like he may need a bite to eat. May I ask what its able to do?'

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"What pet?" Cassian mutters to Ciraneoth. "I can see nothing in the cage..."

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

At the question from the mage Devargo shakes his head slightly. "Nah, its a coward and a dissapointment so far. Buts its tricks and hiding from sight only work for so long, then it be back I'll show it what for." He shrugs, "As for why... if them nobles up near the palace and on the heights can have these as pets then why not the King of Spiders, I'm as royal as most of them bast****. Longer lied than the King as well, though maybe that's why I didn't a marry a Chelaxian vixen with sharp claws..." he jokes.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"If it's a disappointment, why keep it? It seems you have plenty of more well behaved and deadly pets?" Cassian asks innocently, gesturing at the spiders infesting the place.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ettin in the Playground

'Can't be that many dragons in Korvosa.' Andrei says to answer Cassian's question. 'My lord. It can't hide from me. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance with it. Or I suppose I can always take it off your hands if you ever decide to sell it.'

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

The king of spiders glances at Andrei then back to the cage. "If it don't perform to how I want then I'll be skinning it and getting myself some nice scaled gloves. then we'll see how it likes to hide and taunt me eh..." he punctuates the comments by hurling a glass of rick red wine at the cage, the glass shattering and fragments of glass and splashes of wine coat the shape as the pseudogran's form shimmers into being. Its cat sized reptiallian frame shimmering with, now winesoaked, silvery metallic scales as its face with deep golden intelligent eyes filled with grief meet Andrei. It chirps a few times in its hissing draconian tongue, Andrei recognising a few words from his arcane training "Please masters.... help me from this torment..."

Devargo snarls and shakes the cage bouncing the creature around the bars before bellowing "Shut it beast lest I skin you now..." then a snarled "You got your letters, get lost" to the party

7. - Top - End - #727
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred has one hand on the door handle, then looks at Andrei, then at Ciraneoth, Milord, how long was it you said since an elf fought in your pits?

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei will nod briefly towards the dragon to show that he understood. He wasn't sure that he even knew enough of the language to reply properly. 'I'm sure I can find something more valuable then dragon hide gloves my lord. I'll have to get back to you.' Presumbly doing anything about the dragon now would be somewhat suicidal.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Charm vs. Fel 45
    (1d100)[30]
    FP if needed
    (1d100)[80]

9. - Top - End - #729
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth didn't say anything, just raised one eyebrow at her.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

THe dragon screeches in fury before vanishing once more in a shroud of uglu magic as the Kind of spiders laughs and urns his back on you. A barked "Bring the council back in..." to the guard who darts outside, and holds the door open for you all as well. As the four of you head out into the bustling decks it strikes you possibly how wrong this is with such a brute geeting rick of these people and spreading such misery in Old Korvosa and even the Guard turn a blind eye.

Its a long hours walk through the night time streets back to the old Castle and the guard barracks. The streets are still alive with trouble and packs of rioters move around looking for easy victims but with your weapons ready they steer clear of you, your rough appearance looking much the same as them. The city is still awash with rumors although during the day much needed bread and casks of wine had been distributed by Ileosia from the palace store rooms and some of the narrative on the streets had changed, from the usurper Queen taking the throne to a poor young maiden Queen held in check by the cruel old Korvosan noble familes that have strangled the poor for generations.... The implication that a cull of the nobility may allow the Queen flowing on some lips... And fresh pyres of smoke at the edge of the nobles district and the occasional body in the street still speaks of a city on the edge.

When you leave the tangled maze of Old Kovorsa it is a welcome escape, the watching eyes, the stick thin mothers coughing and pox marked and the beggars with hands clasped on daggers or lolling about their minds insensate with dream lilly is a horrible place. As your reach the barracks and the tall stone walls the guards wave you in you can feel a sense of relief. After pausing in the barracks canteen for your fill of a plain beef stew and some watered down ale a messenger grabs you, "Excuse me, the Lady Marshall will see you now and hear your report."

Following the young guardsman back into the stable you can see the short haired Marshall Kroft in her usual place standing over the map of Korvsa, this time you are relived there appears to be fewer discs of red and gold denoting riots and fires and more black discs marking patrols reporting "near normality." She looks up as you enter a grim look on her face, "Well, how was the bastard Barvosi, did he give you the letters? Will they be sufficient for the Duelling Master's scheme?"

11. - Top - End - #731
    Troll in the Playground

The minute they are out of sight of the Eel's End Winifred will duck into the nearest tavern and drink two shots of rotgut in rapid succession, anyone paying attention will notice she is trembling slightly, as she finishes the later she speaks softly, Ok, let us go see her ladyship now

+++++++++++

She has mostly recovered and got her colour back by the time they are back at the barracks, aided by a little bit of street food.

Polite and, menacing.

Not someone I would want to get on the bad side of.

And I can also see why people might want to be rid of him, but I am not that keen in trying.

However he agreed to give us two letters,
    she unfurls them and hands them over, He said these would be the most interesting

12. - Top - End - #732
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Crazy is a better way of describing it," Ciraneoth said, "he has a ****load of spiders in his quarters. And a small dragon. That didn't look too happy about it though."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

13. - Top - End - #733
    Troll in the Playground

It has occurred to me that that poor creature will have overheard a lot of information whilst imprisoned in his council chamber.

Information that could be extremely useful

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"The letters seem both genuine and explicit. Barvasi said he has more and that he's allowing the ambassador to buy them back from him, one letter at a time. That suggests the ambassador himself is worried enough about the letters becoming public that they should serve as the leverage we need," Cassian offer his opinion.

"As for the 'King of Spiders', I agree with what's been said before. An unpleasant and likely unhinged fellow, drunk on his own power. Korvosa would be better off without him, though doubtless some other criminal would likely leap into his shoes as soon as Barvasi disappears from the scene."

"Perhaps a raid could be organised under the pretext of clearing his ships of those spiders? There is surely some law on the books about keeping dangerous creatures inside the city limits without a permit. Come to think of it, is it even legal for him to have a pseudo-dragon without a permit?" Cassian speculates.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei narrows his eyes at the sight of the angry dragon and decides that this wasn't over. Once they're outside he'll state sourly that 'It doesn't seem right leaving him like that, but I don't think we should make a habit of attacking crime bosses in their lairs without even making a plan. Lamm was a special case.' To Winifred, 'Are you alright?' Her reaction had been hard to miss. 'If it makes you feel any better I suspect he'll be violently murdered at some point. I doubt he could reach a position like that without creating rivals.'

The changing narrative around the Queen was honestly to be expected. The only question was what the Queen was going to do with any power she could hold onto.

After the dragon is mentioned, 'If the dragon might be at all useful then we should get it out of there. I would prefer to be subtle about it if at all possible though.' To Cassian, 'I can't speak for permits but it's possible that someone at the Academae might take issue with Barvasi keeping the thing imprisoned. For all I know he stole it from some Magister in the first place.'

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I agree we need a plan," Ciraneoth said, "from what I've seen of his security, while not the best around, there are many and they are not really bound by any restrictions on the use of force. So we best be very careful. And make sure we're not recognised, or we and any family we have here in the city will be open for reprisals, as I don't think he will suffer the 'escape' of his dragon gladly."

17. - Top - End - #737
    Troll in the Playground

To Winifred, 'Are you alright?'

No, it was all I could do to hold myself together until we got out

She trembles a little bit as she downs the second shot

+++++++++++++++++

"I agree we need a plan," Ciraneoth said,

The creature is in his throne room, his throne room is the former great cabin, sneak up by boat, enter via gallery or windows, then leave without anyone knowing we were ever there

Better chances than a direct assault anyway
    Last edited by wilphe; 2022-03-14 at 05:37 AM.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I don't know about the rest of you, but I've little training in the fine art of sneaking about and surreptitiously boarding ships in the night," Cassian remarks in reply to Winifred's idea. "I mean, it's not a bad plan, but this may not be the best crew to carry it out."

19. - Top - End - #739
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'm quite good at sneaking around," Ciraneoth said, "but more in a forest or other more rural environment and not on boats. It would indeed be easier if there was a law or something that allowed the watch to officially intervene. There should be a law somewhere about keeping dangerous pets."

20. - Top - End - #740
    Troll in the Playground

There is no shame and much wisdom in realising one is not suitable for a task

In any case the dragon is hardly the only person held their against their will.

Perhaps the other pseudodragons in the city would be interested in arranging something?

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

Marashall Kroft looks about. "I would gladly kill Devargo and see him hanging from the rafters. I have a couple of guards who I can trust beyond measure, I trust them with my life." She lowers her voice and looks at you, "If you were to return to the bpat to take the dragon into custody under the "trafficing in sentient beasts act" he would likley respond poorly. If that gave you call to kill him or arrest hoim I would be amenable to that. My men, Garl, Stefan and Alvor are loyal to me, he will not have bought them off.""

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

You can get us a warrant to that effect?

Also I am not so sure about 7 of us against everything he has, even if some of them are just thugs.

Backup?

23. - Top - End - #743
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Then it's a question of making sure he's under our guard," Ciraneoth said, "while his people are outside. Then we can get him an accident before they can get to us. So maybe do it when things are busy there. When we were there just now, we had what... two guards in the room plus himself. And if a few of us take small boat with our weapons so we can get those through the backdoor as soon as the rest is inside, we should be okay. Or we try to bluff our way through the guards with a warrant."

24. - Top - End - #744
    Troll in the Playground

Let me point out two things.

Firstly, if we going there with the explicit intention of provoking him into a fight and killing him, then we are not so much agents of law as we are paid assassins. Consider carefully if this is a rubicon we wish to cross.

Secondly, whether will kill him or not this action will have consequences. If he lives he will seek vengeance, and in any case our profile will greatly increase. Consider carefully if we want to do that

she pauses

If we are acting under authority then we move overtly - I am sure Cassian would enjoy taking the lead there.

There will be guards on at least one of the other boats where he keeps his women and possibly all five, as well as the guys on the wharf entrance. And we don't know how many of his people live aboard or have lodgings ashore

Moving in early morning whilst the place is shut down and a few of them at least have a headfull of booze would probably be best

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

The marshal pauses at Winifred's words. "Do any of you doubt that Devargo is a blight upon this city. A canker on Old Korvosa and a purveyor of misery?" She slams her mailed fist onto the table causing the drinks to jump. "I am not speaking of low paid assassins or foot pads. You would be enacted by the City watch to try and arrest him. That I cannot swoop in there with 30 of my men to round him and his men up, or even really risk his arrest speaks nothing but the shame I feel that of how badly corroded Korvosan justice is."

Shel looks around the table, 2I asked this of you and my three trusted men as I hoped you could handle it. If you are uneasy that is all well and good. You have done good work and we can stymy the plots of Cheliax and there are more issues I have within the city itself. " Glancing at the massive stack of papers in the corner she sighs and breathes deeply.

"I apologise for getting heated. the past few days have been stressful for me and the guard and I have to bury no fewer than 9 of my men with dozens of others sent to the cutters with injuries. The issues within this city are boiling over and now I hear rumours of lynch mobs scouring the shingles for an artists named Trinia Sabor, the poor lass who painted the last portrait of King Eodred. Rumours from the palace now say she was poisoning the king and now the mob seeks her head on a platter with Queen Ileosa's hand to deliver it to." Shaking her head she looks at something esle, "If you will not deal with Devargo or have reservations than I would have another request of you. You know of course we have skirmished and fought with the shoanti barbarians for time immemorial. Their ridiculous claims we have stolen their ancestral land, well a shaman of the Skoan-Quah, Thousand Bones has been in the city for some weeks. Seeking to build support for a peace treaty between the Quah's and the City. Word reached me just before Ileosa's coronation that his grandons has gone missing and he is concerned that is may be a threat to the clan. With the riots I have not had time to deal with him and his missives have grown ever curt..."

She holds out a vellum scroll where in a deep red (and you quickly realise inked with animal blood) neat hand writing a note reads "You do not honour us with your lowlander justice. If you shall not seek to honour us than the Quah will resolve the situation. honour will be met..."

She sighs again, and drinks deeply from the wine. "maybe you could help here after you are rested?"

26. - Top - End - #746
    Troll in the Playground

Milady you have never been anything other than honest and generous with us.

It would however sound that Devargo is not a time critical problem, and we may yet need to buy more letters from him.

So let him enjoy his ill gotten gains a few days more

It would seem that the missing grandsons are a more urgent problem

However my comrades also have their opinions

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    To Winifred, 'Are you alright?'

No, it was all I could do to hold myself together until we got out

She trembles a little bit as she downs the second shot
    'Then under the circumstances I'd say you did quite well. Maybe we can try not to make a habit of negotiating with crime bosses.'

In answer to Winifred's concerns,'Whether we go through with it or not, given that we brought Lamm down I'd say keeping a low profile already might not be possible. Also I'd say I'd only be an assassin if I planned to make a habit of it, but as the Marshal said even that may not be neccessary if we act overtly. Regardless I am more concerned with the practicalities then the morality of dealing with Barvasi.'

'Who would kidnap a shoanti anyway?'

28. - Top - End - #748
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Getting those grandsons back might give us some clout with those clans," Ciraneoth said, "and a peace treaty is something you can use in the city. I think we best focus on that first and return to this Devargo
    at a later date, either covertly or openly. Maybe we can get that tribe to take care of him for us, or at least curtail some if his business dealings outside of the city."

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Forgive our reluctance, Marshall, we too have been flitting from crisis to crisis and all our nerves are surely frayed," Cassian says. "I agree that Barvasi is a blight and ought to be dealt with, but Miss Winifred makes a good point - what if the letters we have recovered aren't enough, and we need him to get more? Perhaps you should see how the plan to twist the ambassador's arm works before sending us to shut down Barvasi for good," he suggests.

"This matter with the Shoanti sounds serious as well. Do you know anything of the strength of the shaman's tribe? Can he cause serious trouble for Korvosa? If so, then finding his grandsons would seem paramount."

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

The marshall pauses and then nods at Cassian. "Your words are wise. Once crisis at a time is best to be dealt with. I agree its wise to deal with Shoanti. The Skull-Quah are one of fiercest tribes. Larger than the Moon -Quah or the Sun-Quah and owners of the ancestral history of the Shoanti. They have warred with the city from time to time.. But Thousand Bones is trying to change that. He is influential and powerful and has been driving for peace with the tribes and city. Something supported by many of the Houses and merchantile guilds as well as the less conservative Shoanti tribes folk. As you say, this could drive a wedge or set us back 20 years."

She pauses and looks at you all sadly. "I do fear his grandson Gaekhan is lost though. There have been reports of riots and mobs stringing up shoanti in the riots. Using the unrest to hide vigilantism. Much as we tried to stop it. Thousand Bones I suspect will know his grandson is taken... If we can resolve it so the Quah do not take matters into their own hands it will be much better"

She leans forwards clapping Cassian into a brief embrace, "My thanks for calming me down. Its been stressful of late. Please take your leave in the barracks. Rest, eat and then in the morning you can see THousand Bones. He dwells in Eastshore over the High Bridge near the East gate in the Shoanti district. have a care they do not appreciate locals there and make it clear. The troubles and riots of late have not helped and tensions are high"

OOC
    Well done you all receive 150XP for resolving "trouble with the ambassador"