Planetar

Default Re: jcb's Princes of the Apocalypse (5e Campaign)- Group Alpha IC

Dernin Greesh
    AC: 14 | Max HP: 18 | Current HP: 18 | Hit Die: 3d8
    Init: +5 | Passive Perception: 13
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

Dernin is quite used to forgetting taverns, he has been to so many, and for the most part they are all the same. A poorly constructed building, a few hand hewn tables and chairs, an old ugly man behind the bar, and if you were lucky, a somewhat passable tavern girl were all these places were. They served bland, but strong drinks, and featured what could charitably be called food. The Dran and Courtier was a completely different beast, strong, milled furniture, fresh paint on the walls, and the smells coming from the kitchen had Dernin salivating from the moment he entered.

First to arrive, Dernin made good on his promise of the first round, and ordered a pitcher of ale for the table, along with some summer sausages and hard cheeses. As he waited for his companions to arrive, Dernin tried to take stock of the other patrons in the tavern, looking for anyone out of place, or anyone more interested in Dernin's group than the polite curiosity of small town folk would warrent.

One by one as the rest of the group trickled in Dernin greeted them, and offered a different drink than the ale he had ordered. Once the whole group had arrived and shared the news they had found of the missing delegation, Dernin offered, "Well it sounds to me that the delegates from Mirabar never arrived. We should scout the road to the North, and see if we can find their last known location, but it seems to me that leaving town so soon could blow our cover of being new smiths. Does anyone else have any idea on how to proceed with our investigation?"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Roll for insight to see if anyone is keeping an eye on us, or seems particularly chatty.

[roll]1d20+3[/roll]
    Last edited by munimortal; 2021-02-28 at 02:34 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Mari Yveltin
    AC: 16 | Max HP: 21 | Current HP: 21 | Hit Die: 3d8
    Init: +0 | Passive Perception: 12
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

Fourth to arrive, Mari's song would reach the tavern well before she did herself and came to an end a bit before she joined Dernin and the others at the table and quickly helped herself to a large mug of the ale. She'd waited patiently while scribbling extra notes down about the rumors and stories that the villagers had told her, hoping for a chance to use them in another piece. She finished up as Dernin started and shoved the papers back into her bag. "We could always change the advertisement for the smithy, say we only work for half or a third of the day and then spend the rest of the time investigating. Could probably come up with a story about searching for extra materials to help sell it and explain our absence. It might hurt business a bit though depending on how good the repair work is."

Mari paused to take another long drink as her cheeks started to flush just a bit. "Maybe we should also see if we can work out a deal with one of the farmers or stable managers, whoever we could rent a horse and wagon from maybe in exchange for a discount and free horse shoes."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lorran Springway
    V. Human (Moon) Druid 3
    AC: 11 | HP: 21/21 | HD: 3d8
    Initiative: +0 | P. Perception: 16 | P. Investigation: 12
    Active Effects: None
    Conditions: None

Lorran arrived at the tavern fresh from his hiking. He politely turned down the drink Dernin offered, and explained, "I prefer water, but thank you."

During the conversation, Lorran nods in agreement, first with Dernin and then Mari. "I am not sure how important our cover story is, but that sounds like a reasonable way to keep it intact. I am also worried about those fresh graves in the hills, but I believe they are in the opposite direction of our delegation. South of town instead of north."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Albrecht, Folk Hero & Knight Aspirant
    AC: 17 | MAX HP: 27 | CURRENT: 27 | HIT DIE: 2d10, 1d6 | CURRENT: 2d10, 1d6
    INITIATIVE: +0 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 12 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.

Given the large woman's disdain for the gentrified term, Albrecht quickly dropped the appelation and tried to find a course of conversation with his companion that would allow her to open up to him. Beginning with her knowledge of smithing, moving towards martial training and prowess, trying to extract the personal information from the woman throughout the day as they interacted with local merchants, tradesmen, and Red Loach residents.

After their discussion with the shepherd Greenboot, and the local merchants, the two secured the materials required for the start of the forge at the main house.
    Albrecht clapped Korzin on the shoulder, pressing some coins into her palm. "I have some business to attend to at the chapel, before I join the others at the Dran and Courtier. Master Greesh offered to purchase the first round, make the second on me, and I will join you in short order."

With that said, the broad shouldered man turned towards the All Faith's chapel, and journeyed there, inquiring as to the whereabouts of Imdarr Relvaunder, hoping to have a word with a member of his order.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Korzin

After a day of wandering around trying to subtly enquire about the delegates - subtle enquiry being something Korzin isn't especially skilled at - Korzin is more than happy to get to the tavern. She thanks Dernin for the first round and drains the tankard in one long swallow, then orders a second round for everyone. "These are from Albrecht," she says. "He's going to talk to the local priest and'll be here later."

Listening to the others discuss the plans, Korzin doesn't say much. "We could just tell people that we work the smithy by appointment?" she offers. "Those graves could be worth checking out - could be one's we looking for, and if someone buried 'em there could be survivors or witnesses?"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Dernin Greesh
    AC: 14 | Max HP: 18 | Current HP: 18 | Hit Die: 3d8
    Init: +5 | Passive Perception: 13
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

"I don't know if the fresh graves to the south has anything to do with our mission. It seems odd to me that the delegation would have skipped over Red Larch on their way South. On the other hand, its a lot closer, and we have a single location to check, rather than 'anywhere South of Mirabar'. And if we are going to check it, it would make more sense to do it now, before we start heading North.

Dernin, finished off his second round. He almost ordered a third, but wanting to make a good impression, he held off.. for the time being anyway. Instead, Dernin reached to his belt and removed the lightest of the three pouches, containing a set of dice carved from knuckle head trout ivory, the only good memory of his one, and last, trip to Ten Towns. He almost shivers from the memory of it, instead he tosses the bag up onto the table and says, "While we wait for Albrecht to finish praying, or saving babies or whatever Paladins do in their down time, perhaps we can get a game going? Give me a chance to win back some of that gold I owe you Korzin, if I remember correctly it was about 15 gold?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Korzin

Korzin shrugs. "Maybe they went around Red Larch for some reason? Right now our only other options is to keep asking around town for a bit, or to head north and see if we can find the last time anyone laid eyes on 'em." She looks around the table at the others. "What's everyone think? North, south, or try here for another day?"

Quote Originally Posted by munimortal View Post
    "While we wait for Albrecht to finish praying, or saving babies or whatever Paladins do in their down time, perhaps we can get a game going? Give me a chance to win back some of that gold I owe you Korzin, if I remember correctly it was about 15 gold?"
    Korzin furrows her brow in concentration, obviously struggling to remember, before eventually declaring "15 gold sounds about right; I'm in, but every second game we use my dice - keeps things fair 'n' all." She pulls out her own pouch of wyvern bone dice. "Who else is in?"