New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XIX - Nobody Cares about that Stuff Anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Go away, Ox, and take your silly blue goat along too! But, more seriously, hm, interesting find, and I quite in tune with the other instances of missed-updates-in-late-3.0-books theme we have running with Death Dogs and whatnot.
    I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a camel. Look up Baphomet. Him and the big guy are eerie. Note the skinny legs. The Carbuncle matches the art, but doesn't have the kick butt powers that it does in GDGU. The Froghemoth and the Flumphs are there, but the art doesn't match. My instinct is that there must be at least one more book he's using, with Hordlings in it, and maybe a stronger Carbuncle.

Someone refresh my memory: was this version a thing in previous editions, then?
    It does make sense that Tome of Horrors would be more faithful to the original art than WotC, for obvious reasons. For some reason I haven't gotten off my butt to look up the original monster manuals these monsters were in. Even if I did, I'd probably suspect that Tome of Horrors is more believable as a convenient source for Rich than Rich reminiscing perfectly about a bunch of old monster manuals. But I don't know and I'm very grateful to you for looking at it with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Spoiler: A shaggy dog story
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tubercular Ox View Post
    The Froghemoth and the Flumphs are there, but the art doesn't match.
    I think it works out about fine for Flumphs, and the Froghemoth is pretty close, save for the number of eyes.

For some reason I haven't gotten off my butt to look up the original monster manuals these monsters were in. Even if I did, I'd probably suspect that Tome of Horrors is more believable as a convenient source for Rich than Rich reminiscing perfectly about a bunch of old monster manuals.
    I mean, according to the ToH itself, most of them are from just two books (2e!FF and 2e!MM2).

3. - Top - End - #363

the Froghemoth is pretty close, save for the number of eyes.
    But if you google image Froghemoth, there's a mini that matches much more closely.

I mean, according to the ToH itself, most of them are from just two books (2e!FF and 2e!MM2).
    Hahaha, I'm dumb. Yes. And this explains why there's such a strong overlap between the 3e Fiend Folio and Tome of Horrors.

I wanted to do more, but I only examined the Disenchanters. The 2e disenchanter looks like it should be shilling Menthols, and doesn't fit Rich's art at all.

The 1e Disenchanter has a star at the end of its trunk, which Rich might be trying to render with all those fingery bits. But the star actually belongs to the shield the trunk is touching. OTOH, it's vague and Rich may not have been staring as hard at the art as I am now.

The 1e Disenchanter has serious anatomy problems, e.g. that is not how camel humps work. Rich could've fixed this with any decent image of a camel, including a pack of cigarettes, but he would have to decide to, so it depends how faithful he wants to be to source art.

In short, I want to keep trying but I'm not feeling it yet. I'm no longer even certain Rich's Disenchanters are Large. The best size reference is panel 5, which makes them look big, but Roy is actually on hands and knees. OTOH, Rich's horses are also unusually short.
    Last edited by Tubercular Ox; 2023-10-20 at 04:21 PM.
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

After the conversation between Lien and Serini in the latest strip, especially panel 4, can we say anything additional about Serini's INT score?

We had Lien at 10+ (Good, not dumb), and Serini at around 12+ due to age, but with no other info.

Could we now say that she had INT of 11+ at the time she designed Kraagor's Tomb, and therefore 13+ now? I know assigning mental stats based on actions is perilous, but we have a reference to comparative intelligence by one character about another, which she doesn't deny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MultitudeMan View Post
    After the conversation between Lien and Serini in the latest strip, especially panel 4, can we say anything additional about Serini's INT score?

We had Lien at 10+ (Good, not dumb), and Serini at around 12+ due to age, but with no other info.

Could we now say that she had INT of 11+ at the time she designed Kraagor's Tomb, and therefore 13+ now? I know assigning mental stats based on actions is perilous, but we have a reference to comparative intelligence by one character about another, which she doesn't deny.
    I think this is covered in the FAQ:

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Q: A character undertook this brilliant/moronic/insightful/ignorant/inspiring/repulsive action. Does that mean they now have a high/low intelligence/wisdom/charisma score?
    No. Similar to the previous question, people have different ideas about what the mental ability scores represent and how much they influence a character's personality. The ability scores posted here are taken from the character's own mouth, someone else in a position to know their scores, or their use of a spell/feat/whatever which requires a minimum ability score. Kindly refrain from speculating from how a character's personality changes their ability scores, since it's not really something you can reason out with facts and numbers either.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I think this is covered in the FAQ:
    Yes, I know that quote, but I don't think it really applies in this case. I think there's an earlier FAQ that is more pertinent:

Q: Is a character's statement about another character considered evidence?
    Yes. We assume that when a character says something about another character's (or their own) ability scores, build, feats, and so forth, they are speaking the truth, except where this contradicts with other evidence or is clearly not possible within the rules.

I'm not saying we should amend Serini's INT score because I think she did an intelligent thing. I'm saying we should amend Serini's INT score because Lien says that she's not as clever as Serini, and we have already established a minimum INT for Lien.
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MultitudeMan View Post
    I'm not saying we should amend Serini's INT score because I think she did an intelligent thing. I'm saying we should amend Serini's INT score because Lien says that she's not as clever as Serini, and we have already established a minimum INT for Lien.
    I see, I must have misread your earlier post (though looking at it now, I'm not sure how). I think what you're proposing seems reasonable.

8. - Top - End - #368

Merchandise isn't an allowable source for this thread, I suppose, but still, it's interesting that the new t-shirt designs identify a few characters' classes. Notably, one shirt indicates that Tarquin is a Fighter; another has Oona as a Ranger.

Finally, we have a new set of nine designs, highlighting each character class and the variety of characters from the comic that follow that path. Pick the one that matches your current D&D character, your internal self-conception, or just your favorite OOTS character!

9. - Top - End - #369

It makes me wish there were a graveyard for interesting ideas. I'd love to read it as much as inter Tarquin as a Swordsage.

But Giant himself says that Wrecan is a Crusader, so just because he nixed Swordsage doesn't mean we can conclude Tarquin's a fighter.

I should probably wait for the DABDA to finish its course before getting too serious.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, there are more than a few multiclass peeps in the class shirts anyways, so…
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #371

Now that I think about it, I was assuming that merchandise doesn't count for purposes of this thread, but in this instance I wonder if it might be Word of Giant? Enough to establish that the characters on each shirt have at least 1 level in the listed class? (Probably not. Just throwing that out there.)

12. - Top - End - #372
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

In Oona's case I don't think it's any more (or less) evidence than Roy explicitly calling her a ranger in 1273. I think that's good enough, the consensus position in discussion says it isn't, so I expect we're still stuck with the status quo.
    Last edited by Gurgeh; 2023-11-27 at 11:20 PM.

13. - Top - End - #373

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Now that I think about it, I was assuming that merchandise doesn't count for purposes of this thread, but in this instance I wonder if it might be Word of Giant? Enough to establish that the characters on each shirt have at least 1 level in the listed class? (Probably not. Just throwing that out there.)
    Word of Giant is "there's still some flexibility in each category" (e.g. Wrecan), so we can't take it as definitive.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

14. - Top - End - #374

Okay, hear me out.

I said the new swag nixes the Blue Carbuncle.

Rich did not correct me.

I was wrong. The new swag supports the Blue Carbuncle.

How suspicious can I be that he did not explicitly say that Tarquin is not a Swordsage?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #375

Since it's coming up in other threads, this is intended to explain why some people, not necessarily you, think Tarquin has Swordsage tendencies. It covers only the four biggest points.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0851.html
    Counter Charge: Setting Sun 1 Counter
    With a quick sidestep, you send a charging opponent sprawling.

Ballista Throw: Setting Sun 6 Strike
    You grab your opponent and spin like a top, swinging him around before throwing him at your opponents like a bolt from a ballista.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0852.html
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0861.html
    Disrupting Blow: Diamond Mind 5 Strike
    Successful attack causes foe to be unable to act for 1 round.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0756.html
    Wis to AC (many references)
    This is how Swordsage fans interpret him stepping aside all the time.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0876.html
    Crushing Weight of the Mountain: Stone Dragon 3 Stance
    While you are in this stance, you gain the ability to constrict for 2d6 points of damage +1-1/2 times your Str bonus (if any). You can constrict an opponent that you grapple by making a successful grapple check.
    Malack can learn this through the Martial Study and Martial Stance feats, and credits Tarquin for teaching it to him. This is my favorite part because it adds to the story between these two.

EDIT: I've had a theory since long ago that Tarquin has levels of Fighter and/or Monk for the bonus feats. It would help explan why Nale is multiclassed, and it would give him abilities that stretch outside the Swordsage. But it's difficult because it cuts into the highest level maneuvers he can use, and some of those might be good explanations for what's happening. Also, this theory is what made me give up on this project, since my command of every feat in the game is lacking.

This theory could also explain why Tarquin is on the Fighter class shirt.
    Last edited by Tubercular Ox; 2023-12-01 at 10:53 AM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, hear me out.

I said the new swag nixes the Blue Carbuncle.

Rich did not correct me.

I was wrong. The new swag supports the Blue Carbuncle.

How suspicious can I be that he did not explicitly say that Tarquin is not a Swordsage?
    None. The phrasing, to me, reads as clear that he never intended to be a Swordsage.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Since it's coming up in other threads, this is intended to explain why some people, not necessarily you, think Tarquin has Swordsage tendencies. It covers only the four biggest points.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0851.html
    Counter Charge: Setting Sun 1 Counter
    With a quick sidestep, you send a charging opponent sprawling.

Ballista Throw: Setting Sun 6 Strike
    You grab your opponent and spin like a top, swinging him around before throwing him at your opponents like a bolt from a ballista.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0852.html
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0861.html
    Disrupting Blow: Diamond Mind 5 Strike
    Successful attack causes foe to be unable to act for 1 round.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0756.html
    Wis to AC (many references)
    This is how Swordsage fans interpret him stepping aside all the time.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0876.html
    Crushing Weight of the Mountain: Stone Dragon 3 Stance
    While you are in this stance, you gain the ability to constrict for 2d6 points of damage +1-1/2 times your Str bonus (if any). You can constrict an opponent that you grapple by making a successful grapple check.
    Malack can learn this through the Martial Study and Martial Stance feats, and credits Tarquin for teaching it to him. This is my favorite part because it adds to the story between these two.

EDIT: I've had a theory since long ago that Tarquin has levels of Fighter and/or Monk for the bonus feats. It would help explan why Nale is multiclassed, and it would give him abilities that stretch outside the Swordsage. But it's difficult because it cuts into the highest level maneuvers he can use, and some of those might be good explanations for what's happening. Also, this theory is what made me give up on this project, since my command of every feat in the game is lacking.

This theory could also explain why Tarquin is on the Fighter class shirt.
    I missed this discussion the first time round, but I like all of this.

Edit: On another topic entirely, I just noticed that Minrah has 7 feats listed, but her class levels would only account for 5 thus far; also, Improved Bull Rush and Knockback have no evidence linked. Does anyone know why they were added, and if they are verified, do we need to update Minrah's total class level, even if we don't know the exact Fighter/Cleric split? Fighter 2+ / Cleric 9+, total level 12+ would seem the smallest change, but is of course speculative.
    Last edited by MultitudeMan; 2023-12-02 at 12:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGirl

I have an inventory question- before obtaining the psionic knife, was Belkar wielding nonmagical daggers?

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

I vaguely remember something about him having a +4 and +2 dagger? Though the daggers he throws are probably non-magical.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I vaguely remember something about him having a +4 and +2 dagger?
    I dont suppose you know when he picked those up?

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

It doesn't say, but the source for them in his entry is a forum post doing the math for how he was able to kill a wight in a turn or something? So probably at least since Don't Split the Party?

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #382

Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    I have an inventory question- before obtaining the psionic knife, was Belkar wielding nonmagical daggers?
    And regardless whether the +4/+2 estimate is correct, there is the Oracle's "temporary magic dagger repository" comment, generally read as meaning he was stabbed with a magical dagger.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

And regardless whether the +4/+2 estimate is correct, there is the Oracle's "temporary magic dagger repository" comment, generally read as meaning he was stabbed with a magical dagger.
    And alternately read that the Oracle is a magical repository for daggers.

Not that i read it that way, but i am amused at the possibility.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

24. - Top - End - #384

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    And alternately read that the Oracle is a magical repository for daggers.

Not that i read it that way, but i am amused at the possibility.
    There's just always some smart guy that brings that up. Hence generally, yes.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

There's just always some smart guy that brings that up. Hence generally, yes.
    Hey, we're talking about a repository with second dagger in a world that has gnolls. You're lucky I'm only taking it in that direction.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Both interpretations are wrong. The Oracle meant "dagger" as in "person who shears dags i.e. matted locks of wool from sheep"
    ungelic is us

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

I'm not sure that can be considered evidence, but wouldn't Shojo being able to move while wearing plate armor indicates that he has more than the 4 STR estimate given to him due to his age?

I mean, regular full plate is 50lbs, and nothing implies his armor is made to be lighter via magic or special material. It is also unlikely that it is not full plate.

Furthermore, Shojo has shown he was able to casually lift approximately half an humanoid skeleton, which isn't that light.

I'm not quite sure of how to estimate his STR based on that, though.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    I'm not sure that can be considered evidence, but wouldn't Shojo being able to move while wearing plate armor indicates that he has more than the 4 STR estimate given to him due to his age?

I mean, regular full plate is 50lbs, and nothing implies his armor is made to be lighter via magic or special material. It is also unlikely that it is not full plate.

Furthermore, Shojo has shown he was able to casually lift approximately half an humanoid skeleton, which isn't that light.

I'm not quite sure of how to estimate his STR based on that, though.
    I don't think there's sufficient reason to think Shojo wore full plate to let that assumption serve as a basis for further deductions.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, like Miko and Tarquin having mithral breastplates. Besides, he’s not exactly a frontline fighter, so he could probably get away with something that just looks appropriate.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #390

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Yeah, like Miko and Tarquin having mithral breastplates. Besides, he’s not exactly a frontline fighter, so he could probably get away with something that just looks appropriate.
    Yep. For all we know, it could be glamered leafweave padded or silk swathes or whatever. That would even fit who Shojo is wonderfully.