New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: As You Command IC

The pain is almost thrilling - the time spent in subterfuge, in idleness and planning, has compressed the violence within him; and the exchange of blows and the smell of blood - his, Maiabel's, the prisoner's - pulls the malice up to his heart, where he can channel it into his arm. The darkness is an impediment - but he need only wait a moment before Cypher removes that obstacle, and he is freed to visit his fury on his attacker at once.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Attack 1: (1d20+14)[20] for [ROLL]1d8+5, and (2d6)[9] penetrating strike.
    Attack 2: (1d20+9)[26] for [ROLL]1d8+5, and (2d6)[7] penetrating strike.
    Haste Attack: (1d20+14)[25] for [ROLL]1d8+5, and (2d6)[12] penetrating strike.

Been adding +4 to damage instead of +5, derp.

Hmm - JBE, is that white circle a visible effect?
    If my attacks perchance drop this chainboy, and that isn't a big zone of obvious death, Lamorak will 5ft step forward. Otherwise he'll remain where he is.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Stab. Stab. Stab. Maiabel's routine varies little, for there is nothing else to do but stand beside her lord and strike at the chain golems they face. Fortunately, it's something she's good at.

For a brief moment, as darkness envelopes the group, Maiabel is grateful that her mask isn't just for show. And then Cypher lights a sunrod, and the moment passes. Still, she's ready to be the group's eyes again if need be.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Once again, full attack. Also once again, Combat Expertise is at a -2/+2, so AC is 26.

All attacks are directed against the chain golem in front of Maiabel.

Attack 1: (1d20+13)[15]
    Damage 1: (1d6+8)[13] plus Deadly Defense (1d6)[4] plus Penetrating Strike (1d6)[2]
    Attack Haste: (1d20+13)[21]
    Damage Haste: (1d6+8)[14] plus (1d6)[5] plus (1d6)[2]
    Attack Off-Hand 1: (1d20+13)[14]
    Damage Off-Hand 1: (1d6+7)[13] plus (1d6)[6] plus (1d6)[4]
    Attack 2: (1d20+7)[25]
    Damage 2: (1d6+8)[13] plus (1d6)[6] plus (1d6)[3]
    Attack Off-Hand 2: (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage Haste: (1d6+7)[13] plus (1d6)[5] plus (1d6)[5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    But a friendly reminder that, by RAW, this game is unplayable

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

With the new light provided by the sunrod Lamorak and Cypher take down another whirling golem, leaving only two of them left. But then around the corner comes an elvish chant and a bead of bright red light, slamming into the cavern wall and filling it with fire. Emptying out the mass of spiderwebs Cypher conjured there not long ago, and ripping around the golems there, seemingly leaving them untouched, the parts of metal that melt shifting back into even better fits. The wave of heat even manages to reach Lamorak and Maiabel's positions.

At the same time, one of the chain golems, now free from the slowing effect of the webs lurches forward, throwing two lengths of chain at the advancing lord protector. One of which managed to land in another deep and freely bleeding cut. The metal footsteps from behind them are now audible again, as a large form seems to be heading around the corner.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Lamorak takes 9 damage. Then Lamorak and Maiabel make a DC18 Reflex Save and take 24 damage on a fail or 12 on an un-evasioned success

It's now Sharkan's go.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan cannot see from where that ball of fire came from so he growls low under his breath. Instead he raises his off hand as a Cats Paw made of force appears before the Golem closest to Lamorak. Suddenly it BAP BAP BAP, slapping the chain golem in the face.

Spoiler: Spell
    Show

Bigby's Slapping Hand, Concentration DC 20 to avoid provoking an Attack of Opportunity from Lamorak

"Hit it again my lorrrrd!"
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

After Sharkan completes his spell and Lamorak completes his lunge new words cry out in rushed elvish, seemingly giving new instructions to the golems. The chain golems cease their easily dodged whirling, with the one Lamorak struck making deliberate strikes at Maiabael rather than lashing out in every direction. Then, the form from around the corner becomes clearly visible, a 9ft tall metal humanoid made of polished plates of steel rounds the corner, it moves forwards with accelerated steps, a strange force seeming to push the rock around it forward as it moves towards the group. Yet it seems to be forced to stop by the tight confines of the tunnel, stopping short of you, then slamming an extended limb into Lamorak.

Behind you, yet more of the refugees stream into the tunnel, with a majority of the cavern's inhabitants now have made it clear.

Show

Lamorak and Maiabel both take 13 damage from the chain golem and shield guardian. They also both take 2 further damage from bleed effects.

It is now Lamorak, Cypher and Maiabel's go.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Lamorak shifts on his feet out of the scything path of chains and magical blasts; but despite his admirable agility even plated, he cannot avoid all harm. Hissing as he feels blood splashing from a rent in his armor, he persists in his assault, smashing the borrowed mace into the mess of chain and infernal construction in effort to clear it before the guardian behind it was able to creep forward... and before the gas drifted in, at its now lessened urgency.

"Wretched elves! Come risk your own blood, you boneless fae mongrels!"

Show
    Attack!

Attack1 - (1d20+14)[26] for (1d8+5)[11] and (2d6)[9].
    Attack2 - (1d20+9)[23] for (1d8+5)[8] and (2d6)[3].
    AttackHaste - (1d20+14)[26] for (1d8+5)[10] and (2d6)[8].

5ft step to fall back parallel to Maiabel, whose ability to 'flank' while just being adjacent is absolute gold.

7. - Top - End - #427

NecromancerGirl

The fireball, along with the hits the chain golems are starting to inflict, are finally taking their toll on Maiabel. It's a small miracle that she can even still stand at this point. Her will may be strong, but her body is beginning to fail her. And, while she'd normally pride herself on selflessly serving her master... a servant is no good dead. Not unless her death serves some purpose - and it would not, at this juncture.

Carefully, she backs away from the chain golem, just enough to get some breathing room, before sheathing her left shortsword so that she has a free hand to make the required gestures for the healing spell she uses on herself.

Show
    Five-foot step south.
    Move action - Sheathe my off-hand shortsword.
    Standard action: Cast Cure Moderate Wounds on myself. (2d8+4)[19]
    Last edited by Dusk Raven; 2023-05-27 at 03:11 PM.
    Honestly, most players would get super excited about Zenob the god of crabs because it's eccentric. I know I would.

8. - Top - End - #428

Cypher

Looking at the new construct which is apparently to large to move closer, the spymaster begins to hope that they can limit further attrition of their resources.

Lord Protector, it might be te to retreat into Sharkan's sphere. We can hope this new construct has only limited reach. Allow me to remove the last obstacle.

His flickering form lashes out at the last chain golem adjacent to Lamorak before he steps within the limits of the hairball.

Show
    Full Attack with power attack -5 and +4 attack/damage from knowledge devotion.
    Attack 1(1d20+12)[31] for (2d4+18)[23]
    Attack 2 (1d20+7)[19] for (2d4+18)[22]
    Haste attack (1d20+12)[23] for (2d4+18)[21]
    Followed by 5ft step south east.

Dodge vs big golem AC 29 vs it 28 otherwise

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

This wizard at least seems to speak common, for he responds to Lamorak's taunts.

"You are foolish, our spirit is of the divines. I at least am too wise to spend it, unlike whichever fools you may have met earlier. I have been shown the path to deliver you death through simple control of others."

As he's decrying you, your swings manage at last to tear apart the chain golem, leaving only one still visible behind the heft of the shield guardian. However, the same figure that likely blasted you with a fireball now steps out from around the corner, and casts something targeted at the very edge of Sharkan's conjoured barrier. Suddenly from the stalagtites above your head and the uneven rocks beneath your feet a great mass of black muscles and chain reaches out, attempting to envelop your legs and necks, and prevent your retreat. The field even reaches as far as the mouth of the cavern, and while those who have already fled are safe, those prisoners still fleeing prove vulnerable to the strength of these grasping tentacles.

At the same moment, Maiabel's freely bleeding wound closes, while Lamoraks continues to exhaust yet more of his strength onto the cavern floor.

Show

Evard's Black Tentacles Time!

Everyone needs to make a Grapple check against the following DCs, on a failure, you are grappled.

Lamorak: 35
    Maiabel: 27
    Cypher: 28
    Sharkan:32

Wow, that was a hot set of dice.

Also Lamorak takes a further 2 damage from ongoing bleed.

It's now Sharkan's go
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2023-05-29 at 08:46 AM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Unsuspecting, Sharkan is snatched up by the tentacles.

"What the Nurrrrrgal?"

He struggles and twists and turns, trying to free himself.

Spoiler: dice rolls
    Show

(1d20+5)[24] grapple challenge vs tentacles

Sharkan barely escapes and looks around, trying to spot that caster for targeting
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2023-05-29 at 02:28 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

The caster is visible not quite visible from where Sharkan currently stands, but from the sound of his voice and direction of his spellcasting he must be behind the great shield guardian and through that narrow passageway to the next chamber.

Speaking of said guardian, it slows it's approach to push through the narrowest point of the cavern walls, but with a great noise of grinding metal on stone manages to push through. It's great bulk is now in the chamber with all of you, and while the mindless tentacles reach for it as well, it seems far stronger than them. It moves up and slams into the form of Lamorak, dealing another powerful blow to the bleeding Lord Protector.

At the same moment, a hiss resumes from a distant point in the cavern, and yellow fog begins advancign once again, now spilling out from around the corners it has previosuly reached and billowing towards you. The Elven mage, from all that you can see, seems to have taken some precaution against these poisonous vapours, likely expecting the possibility of a fight under these conditions, or at least descending under such conditions to clean human corpses from the pit.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show

Lamorak takes 16 slamming damage and 2 bleeding damage.

It is now Lamorak's Maiabel's and Cypher's turns.

12. - Top - End - #432

Cypher

Lord Protector, if we might change places for a moment?

Cypher speaks an arcane word, struggling to keep strain out of his voice as he does so.

Show
    Concentration vs DC 21 to cast benign transposition whilst grappled.
    (1d20+13)[21]

13. - Top - End - #433

Cypher

Breathing a sigh of relief, Cypher extends his whip blade. Incanting to himself he starts to become semi transparent and lashes out at both the snaring tentacles and construct. As his blade connects with the tentacles a flash emits, as his stored magics seek to unbind the elven mage's workings.

Show
    Cast wraithstrike defensively.
    Concentration (1d20+13)[31] vs DC 17

Full attack with 5 power attack vs touch AC if the spell worls, once he hits the tentacles he unleashes a targeted dispel magic.

Left over hits are against the guarduan with an extra +4 to hit and damage per hit.

Attack 1 (1d20+8)[11] for (2d4+14)[22]
    Artack 2 (1d20+3)[7] for (2d4+14)[19]
    Haste attack (1d20+8)[15] for (2d4+14)[22]

Dispel check (1d20+8)[24]

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

While Cypher's weapons do no damage to the tentacle themselves, the same cannot be said of his attempts to unbind them. Indeed after a tense few seconds the tentacles seem to fade to mist, with the rocky surface beneath them returning to normal and dropping you and the other captives once again. This succesful strike is followed up by one that seems to be rebuffed by the air in front of the construct, and another that pierces through and puts a long scratch on the construct.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2023-06-01 at 11:31 AM.

15. - Top - End - #435

NecromancerGirl

Now that Maiabel no longer has to worry about tentacles keeping her restrained, she takes stock of the situation. Her wounds have been managed for the most part, but her master's are continuing to bleed freely. Since she still has a hand free - and drawing her weapon again would expose her to the larger construct's attacks - her choice is clear. Keeping her guard up, she intones a brief prayer and touches her hand to her master, hoping she doesn't mess the spell up in her attempt to avoid exposing herself to an attack.

Show
    Standard action: Cast Lesser Vigor on Lamorak. Casting defensively, so I need to make a DC 16 Concentration check: (1d20+12)[23] If successful, Lamorak gains Fast Healing 1 for the next 14 rounds.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis rocks with the blows, each impact from the machine throwing up sparks where his spiked armour scrapes and heaves under the impact. This time, he does not strike back - he focuses on the shadowed form of the wizard behind his golems, bracing for a recast; striving to hold together long enough for their escapees to make good their departure. His wounds sealing after Maibelle's spell, and the cessation of the monstrous tendril zone, help this considerably.

Show
    Fast Heals 1 HP. Readies an action to use Divine Counterspell.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Maiabel and Lamorak's shift to defensive actions is perhaps prudent, as they seek to be ready to disengage with the last of the prisoners making ready to leave behind them. maiabel's magic successfully stems the bleeding, but neither are in a good position to whether the following flurry of attacks. With a speed equal to your own, the guardian reigns down blows on Cypher, Maiabel and Lamorak, and while Lamorak is able to deflect his it leaves him open to another swipe from the chain catching him in his side and opening up another nasty wound. Against the other two, blows land firm, Cypher' speed proving insufficient to let him dodge, even as its blows rain down, the scratches Cypher laid into the guardian seem to steadily be knitting back together.

Show

Maiabel takes a hit for 13 damage, Cypher for 15, Lamorak for 8, and his two old sets of wounding are cleared but then a new set of wounding begins.

Sharkan's turn.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan moves south 15ft, peeking and moving until he thinks he can partially see the enemy elf, still hidden behind his hairball, he weaves a spell as a small kitten of flame appears at his feet. He whispers to the kitten before it sprints across the cavern, between the guardians feet, back to the elf. The kitten looks up to the elf before letting out a loud tiny "meoooooow" before exploding in a 20ft radius ball of flame.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Fireball
    Reflex save dc 18
    (8d6)[17]
    Festival of Heroes:

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Sharkan's initial movement is punished, as the guardian lashes out at Sharkan's retreating form and manages to clip him in his side, but the fireball proceeds apace, and the mage is unable to dodge out of the way nearly quickly enough. That said, the elf seems less hurt by the blow than any of you might normally expect.

He goes to cast another spell in return, and conjuration magic flares once more, though subtler this time. With a mass of webs appearing to slow you rather than tentacles to seize you, then he moves back out of your line of sight, stepping around the corner of the chamber, though whether this magic has any effect remains an open question as Lamorak is ready to try and sunder it through his force of will.

And as you fight, the yellow gas surges forward from ahead of you, and the prisoners empty out from the tunnel behind. Only a few of them still remain, with the young alchemist now among the evacuated.

Show

If Lamorak can make a DC 18 level check-3, then you're unbothered. Otherwise, you're entangled as per the web spell and it's a DC 17 reflex save or you can't move.

Sharkan takes 9 damage from an AoO.

It’s now Lamorak’s, Cypher’s and Maiabel’s go.

Last edited by JbeJ275; 2023-06-01 at 12:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #440

Cypher

Disgusted at the Elf mage's behaviour, Cypher yells after him in elvish.

A web? Your lack of originality bores me, as does your toy.

Attempting to partially fade from reality once more, Cypher lays into the guardian in a blur of strikes.

Show
    Casting wraithstrike defensively (1d20+13)[16] vs DC 17.

Full Attack with power attack for 5.
    Attack 1(1d20+12)[30] for (2d4+18)[25]
    Attack 2(1d20+7)[24] for (2d4+18)[24]
    Haste attack(1d20+12)[14] for (2d4+18)[25]
    Then attempting to 5ft step south east if web allows that.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Another blow taken; another increment of healing from Maiabel's magic assisting; the Lord Protector roars in frustration as the keen elven magics overcome his simple effort to break them.

Damn you, Malakharn! Damn you for departing me before teaching me all your secrets! I shall find them for myself, in time - would that you had saved me the effort!

The crown worked into his helm thrums with old magic as extra strength floods his arms; and with a mighty effort he strives to cave in more of the Shield Guardian's chassis, web or no web!

Spoiler: OOC: Attacks!
    Show
    Immediate action to activate the Crown of Might active spell to gain an extra 6 strength for this round. After this round, he will lose both this bonus and the +2 for the active spell, back down to his base. So an extra +3 to hit and +3 damage; and a -2 to hit for the entangle. Also I have been forgetting the flanking +2 to hit. Boo.

Full round attack.

Attack1 - (1d20+17)[18] for (1d8+9)[15] and (2d6)[4]
    Attack2 - (1d20+12)[17] for (1d8+9)[14] and (2d6)[5]
    AttackHaste - (1d20+17)[33] for (1d8+9)[12] and (2d6)[3]

22. - Top - End - #442

NecromancerGirl

Their situation grows worse. The web is a particular hindrance for Maiabel, who relies so heavily on agility. She briefly considers trying to strike at the construct in front of her, but doubts she'll be able to do sufficient damage to destroy it. Not with only one blade.

Fortunately, it's left itself unable to take advantage of the openings she's about to provide, or so she hopes. So, she casts her final spell on herself, imbuing her with some healing magic. It will likely work too slowly to have an effect... but it's somewhat she wants all the same. Then, she draws her second blade. No more spells - she will live or die by martial might alone at this point.

Show
    Standard Action: Cast Lesser Vigor on myself.
    Move action: Draw my off-hand shortsword again.
    Free action: Hope and pray.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

As each of you press hard against the creature with your attacks it shows just how resilient it is, clearly imbued with careful spell work prior to the start of this fight, only a few blows make it past its shifting speed and its magical shield network, it seems to be starting to slow, perhaps halfway destroyed, but not much more than that. Taking advantage of your poor fortune, and the momentary delays introduced by the silk strands grabbing at your limbs, it focuses it's attention on Cypher in return and lands two hefty blows on the spymaster. The remaining chain construct swipes for the Lord protector, but there at least you have some good fortune, as both of it's blows are soundly deflected by Lamorak's armour. Yet the most recently inflicted of his wounds is still bleeding, and the wizard will surely soon begin unleashing his next volley.

Show

Cypher, takes 29 damage between two powerful hits. Lamorak bleeds for 2 HP, it's Sharkan's turn.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan, sure that his magic will have little effect on the guardian, decides his best bet is to give his allies the opportunity to damage it further. Weaving his magic, a cats paw appears before the guardians face and bap bap bap, smacks it in the face, distracting it from its current situation.

"My Lorrrd, Compatriots. Attack now!"

Spoiler: Spell Mechanics
    Show

Bigbys slapping hand

Everyone else gets an AoO on the Guardian
    Festival of Heroes:

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

With the last ounces of magical strength ebbing away, Lamorak uses the opportunity Sharkan has created to swing...

Show
    AoO: (1d20+17)[23] for (1d8+9)[12] and (2d6)[5], against the Shield Guardian.

Edit:...Dagnabbit, friggen web... Unless the construct's toe is caught in the same web, I think I miss.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-06-03 at 08:14 AM.

26. - Top - End - #446

Cypher

Aggressive posture and ensorcelled blade persisting despite heavy bleeing, Cypher strikes at the opening created by Sharkan.

Spoiler: AoO
    Show
    Touch attack (1d20+12)[15] for (2d4+18)[23]

27. - Top - End - #447

NecromancerGirl

A single strike isn't much coming from Maiabel, but she makes the attempt all the same.

Spoiler: AoO
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+13)[14] Damage: (1d6+6)[12] plus (1d6)[5] Penetrating Strike.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Despite the efforts and brimming hatred of the lord protector and his spymaster, the intangible shield and accelerated movement, combined with it's sheer toughness allow it to shrug off the worst of these attacks.

Taking a second to look towards Cypher, the Wizard speaks back in elvish.

"Bored are you? Perhaps your compatriots will find this more exciting."

Then he turns and unleashes another ball of fire, sweeping mercilessly through the chamber in an immense blast. The chain golem is completely unaffected, and the shield guardian takes only a superficial impact from the wave of fire. The two prisoners caught in the edge of the blast do surprisingly well, and though they seem severely burned neither goes down, and the third pushes the last few feet through the webs unburned, with them all using the newfound freedom from the webbing to sprint down the tunnel to the waiting maidens. You though may not be so lucky, as the wounds you've already taken, combined with the raging fire, and now burning spider silk sticking to your skin threatens to push you past the edge of what you could bear.

At the same time, the Tiny hut is shattered by the force of the fire, and the choking gas continues its merciless advance.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show

Okay, last big spell this guy has in the tank. It's make it or break it time. Everyone make a DC 18 reflex save. On a fail, 20 damage, half that on a success. Additionally, everyone takes 2d4 damage straight up. It's Lamorak, Cypher and Maiabel's go.

Lamorak:(2d4)[3]
    Sharkan: (2d4)[5]
    Maiabel: (2d4)[6]
    Cypher: (2d4)[4]
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2023-06-03 at 05:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sharkan evades the flames of the spell, but the web burned his clothing, the first bit of injury since he arrived, he looked very displeased.

"My lorrrrd, I believe it is time for a dignified withdrawl, I will hold the line for but a moment so you three can exit safely. We have much to do, and falling in such an undignified location is beneath you."

Sharkan pleads for a withdrawl with a note of irritation, the situation, though successful, was not optimal
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2023-06-03 at 06:50 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:

30. - Top - End - #450

NecromancerGirl

If Maiabel had been more adeptly trained in the art of evading magical explosions, she might be in a better position. But as it stands, she can only avoid enough of the blast to avoid dying outright - not enough to keep standing. The fact that the webs around her burn away is small consolation, given that she's already unconscious by that point. The magic she's cast on herself will eventually heal her to the point that she might stand back up... if the gas doesn't get her first.

Still, she did as much as she could. She's not presently capable of having regrets, but even if she were, she would have none.