New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Goblins XIX: New Year, New Updates

I recall for previous unfinished pages she actually confirmed it was for patreon purposes, to post something before the end of the month.

But nowadays I can't read twitter posts without an account anymore, and that seems to be the only way she communicates comic updates, so... dunno.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pax1138 View Post
    I don't know, I could totally be wrong, but I could see this one staying this way on purpose, if it looks like this for meta reasons. Black and white like the original pages, with a panel of color just to identify everyone for those unclear, and then devolving into a sketchy look as reality unravels.
    I thought it's intentional. The dream of a happy goblins being goblins unravels for the chief.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    But nowadays I can't read twitter posts without an account anymore, and that seems to be the only way she communicates comic updates, so... dunno.
    Use nitter.net instead to look at twitter posts without needing to have an account.

It also removes ads and other annoyances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    I recall for previous unfinished pages she actually confirmed it was for patreon purposes, to post something before the end of the month.

Tell me you want the sweet Patreon money without telling me you want the Patreon money.

Imperative indeed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

5. - Top - End - #275
    Colossus in the Playground

Ah, yes, Elli. Beat us over the head with the grimdark, no one would have realized turning into a demon was upsetting without the flashback.

6. - Top - End - #276

I can't help but notice that Complains is looking increasingly like Grinnorarcen, who could open gates to and from hell (or, at least, easily move between dimensions).

Personally, I'm only at issue with how Complains occasionally turns into a full-on idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #277

I would think it was awesome if it turned out that Complains' destiny was to lead demonkind to throw off the shackles of being monsters who exist to by killed by adventurers.

(Unfortunately, I don't think it would be nearly grimdark enough for Elli.)

8. - Top - End - #278
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Ah, yes, Elli. Beat us over the head with the grimdark, no one would have realized turning into a demon was upsetting without the flashback.
    I can't say for sure, but it doesn't seems as a flashback to me. Too much campy, not enough grim. Even when in the old time goblins had nonsensical sketch, they never did a full CareBear routine.
    Seems like a fantasy more than a memory.
    Doesn't change the fact that yes, it's mostly hanging a full lighhouse.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I can't help but notice that Complains is looking increasingly like Grinnorarcen, who could open gates to and from hell (or, at least, easily move between dimensions).

Personally, I'm only at issue with how Complains occasionally turns into a full-on idiot.
    He's always done questionable stuff when he lost his temper, but he also felt like he was smart and fairly on to it when he wasn't throwing a tantrum. Now he just seems to be dumb all the time with occasional yelling to add "interest"

10. - Top - End - #280
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

He was clever in the scene with the goblin angel, feigning an attack in order to pull the lever. And the scene after that he used his phantasmal wings to blow away the razor cobwebs.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

I found that last comic pretty sweet, all things considered.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Annnd now it's colored. So much for the "intentional artistic B&W theory."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pax1138 View Post
    Annnd now it's colored. So much for the "intentional artistic B&W theory."
    Never ascribe to artistic vision what can be ascribed to a paycheck, particularly for Ellipsis Stevens.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    Tell me you want the sweet Patreon money without telling me you want the Patreon money.

Imperative indeed...
    So... why were they, as children, hanging out near the warcamp, several days of travel away from their village?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So... why were they, as children, hanging out near the warcamp, several days of travel away from their village?
    Probably were like a year or so before they became warriors so were there to train or something.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin lifetimes being what they are, this could have easily been a year before the comic kicked off, or something.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Their seer can predict when adventurers will attack, so the tribe knows when it's safe to let the children visit.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

This is the second time Magubluyet has responded to an angry prayer-rant with vindictiveness. Amusing that it's happened exactly twice, etc. etc. insert meme. There's no way he didn't manipulate the cloak so that it came loose enough for Complains to touch the Axe bare-handed.

Still, no one can say he didn't grant Complains' request. If only a full demon can safely navigate Hell and take the Axe to a deep dark corner of it, and there's no reliable chance of reuniting with Kin in time to find a way to summon Old Grinnie, then there's only one option that remains. Not that it's a pleasant or happy option, but when the world's ending one doesn't necessarily have the freedom to be picky.
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-12-18 at 05:48 AM.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    This is the second time Magubluyet has responded to an angry prayer-rant with vindictiveness. Amusing that it's happened exactly twice, etc. etc. insert meme. There's no way he didn't manipulate the cloak so that it came loose enough for Complains to touch the Axe bare-handed.

Still, no one can say he didn't grant Complains' request. If only a full demon can safely navigate Hell and take the Axe to a deep dark corner of it, and there's no reliable chance of reuniting with Kin in time to find a way to summon Old Grinnie, then there's only one option that remains. Not that it's a pleasant or happy option, but when the world's ending one doesn't necessarily have the freedom to be picky.
    Remember: unless Ellipsis decided to arbirtarily change it and take this comic even further away from what its premise was supposed to be, Maglubiyet is Lawful Evil. So, yeah, being vindictive is definitely in-character.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    He might count as a native outsider, so Banishment might not work. I can't remember my 3.0 creature types and subsets, so I can't remember if demons get plane shift as standard (I don't think they do, but do get Teleport Self+50lbs).
    Basically no demon natively gets Planeshift in 3.5, and those who do (e.g. Bebilith) are specialized in it, and it's the thing that make them unique. The point is to explain why the Material Plane isn't full of demons right now. In the context of the comic, since more powerful demons require stronger bridges, increase in power does not automatically give them the ability to planeshift. Same thing for devils, by the way, since Goblins does not seem to make any difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post

Could he? I'm pretty sure the whole reason he gave his true name to Idle is because he could not go back to hell by himself, could he?
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Could he? I'm pretty sure the whole reason he gave his true name to Idle is because he could not go back to hell by himself, could he?
    I assume forbidding to leave (or just ordering him to come along) was the second thing his Minmax used his name on.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I assume forbidding to leave (or just ordering him to come along) was the second thing his Minmax used his name on.
    Maybe. But also, we've never seen him plane shift on his own accord. Either Herbert opened a Gate, or he was sent back by his true name.

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Grinnoarcen gave his truename to Kin, not Idle.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Um, hold on a moment. There's a big dramatic fight with the tentacle thing, over like six pages. How did I miss that?

25. - Top - End - #295

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

26. - Top - End - #296

Not a fan. Though i do get what vorpal was doing at the end there, talking about goth and vegan demons, meh, it felt kinda silly and off tone for whats going on.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Not a fan. Though i do get what vorpal was doing at the end there, talking about goth and vegan demons, meh, it felt kinda silly and off tone for whats going on.
    Maybe, but it fits the character, and not just in a "he's kind of dumb" way (although there is that too). His whole arc has been about being able to choose who you are. From his perspective, being a demon with a goblin soul probably does just make Complains a different type of goblin. He might not really get what the problem is.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

28. - Top - End - #298
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Maybe, but it fits the character, and not just in a "he's kind of dumb" way (although there is that too). His whole arc has been about being able to choose who you are. From his perspective, being a demon with a goblin soul probably does just make Complains a different type of goblin. He might not really get what the problem is.
    Isn't it the whole idea of the comic itself?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Oooh‚ but it will be funny!"

I suspect it will start being weird when/if "Chief" ever becomes truly happy‚ at which point his demon body will instinctively take over and start attacking people to torture them.
    I also wonder how much Goblin God will like being called out by a litteral demon (albeit with a goblin soul).

30. - Top - End - #300

I also wonder how much Goblin God will like being called out by a litteral demon (albeit with a goblin soul).
    It happened thanks to a very contrived random effect, and he had the perfect opening to prevent it if he didn't like it. So, that's his fault, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!