New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: Cataclysm (AD&D Ravenloft -> PF1 Conversion) INC Thread

Millie moves closer to the coffin just in case it opens on it's own.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Rose notices that Luc is shivering in the presence of the coffin. His eyes are empty pools, but they are very certainly looking toward the coffin rocking back and forth, the chains holding it shut are strained, but definitely holding.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Miss Pendagrast - AC: 17 - HP: 14/14 - Perception: +9

Amelie raises an eyebrow at the pandemic of deafness and blindness that seems to suddenly have hit the crowd. Can they genuinely not see what is happening, or are they so far in denial that they simply refuse to see. In anycase, see slips behind the casket and draws her daggers, nodding to the others that she is ready to face whatever is trying to free itself from the casket.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Brucian the priest directs the mule-drawn cart holding the coffin up the hill towards the cemetery. The crowd follows along with you as you begin to flank the procession. All the way up the hill, sounds of something trying to escape emerge from the shaking coffin. The villagers ignore it, but the priest waves his holy symbol over the box and speaks softly.

“Jeremiah, be still.”

At the gate of the cemetery, the cemetery keeper meets the cart. He directs the procession toward an open vault in an above ground mausoleum. The attendants slide the coffin inside and quickly seal the vault. Then, without a word, the crowd returns to the village. Brucian turns to your group, clasping his hands, the sounds from inside the vault, nearly inaudible now. With Brucian stands another man, he looks well built, wearing a leather jerkin and a wide brim hat, his eyes are set firmly on your group, though its obvious his gaze rests on half of you more than the other half.

"Thank you for attending, I trust you have begun to see the problems we are having."

Brucian says with some hope in his voice.
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2023-03-28 at 06:22 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Spamalot in the Playground

Rose will try to keep Luc distant from the coffin, or at least put herself in between to help his nerves, but she doesn't want to be too far from her companions in case they do need her. This was perhaps the most unusual and scary funeral Rose ever attended. Not that she attended many. Still, there was a dire-elephant in the room to address.

"I'm pretty sure your problem is still beating on the inside of that box," Rose says with a nervous tone in her voice. She asks Brucian, "Does this happen every time?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Brucian nods solemnly.

"For the most part yes, sometimes we are able to bury them before they raise as undead. The grounds keeper does his best to patrol but...."

The man in the leather jerkin and wide brim hat interrupts.

"But it seems they are escaping after being buried, this is why we have begun locking them down with chains to prevent any Caliban or nefarious individuals releasing them."

Brucian looks to the man with a frowns.

"This is our constable, he is actively seeking the source of the problem"
    Festival of Heroes:

7. - Top - End - #367
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

With an instant scowl Cheyanne huffs at the constable's words. "These Caliban are less threat than he is!" she gestures back to the crypt. "We spent the entire funeral ready to run towards the coffin if those chains broke! We'd have stood between it and the living!" she says in exasperation.

Then, looking at Brucian and remembering his earlier response she breathes and tries to calm down again. "I'm sorry - we don't even know how we got here, but we'd like to help...and I don't much like all this talk about...well...that word," she says as her voice steadies. After a moment she asks, "Will you let us show you we're here to do some good?"

8. - Top - End - #368

Grey - HP: 17\17 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None

---------------

Grey listens to what Brucian has to say, but frowns when the Constable chimes in - the man seems a bit too intense for his taste and might become a problem. Still, Grey wants to go home so he tries to be friendly, helpful and hopefully not irk any of the locals "Well, Constable. I would appreciate if you could share what you've found until now. As my good friend " and he marks the word 'friend' a bit, a subtle (but not too subtle) message for the Constable that the non-humans in the group are not some wayward strays he can bully as he sees fit "Cheyanne here has said, we are here to help."
    "I also have some questions. I was wondering why you bury them. Wouldn't be safer to burn the bodies?" he asks, trying to add an air of naivety to his question since he can imagine such question could strike a nerve; a nerve that he fears might be not struck but hammered by his next question "And we didn't really see the problem. Could be possible to actually see what we're dealing with? We'll be prudent, I promise."

Spoiler
    Show
    @Darius
    Do I need Diplomacy here?
    Last edited by Bunny Commando; 2023-03-29 at 05:32 PM.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The constables hand moves to rest on the sword at his hip when Cheyanne talks back with frustration.

"Easy now. No need to get riled up over the facts. You six are outsiders to our town, we dont know you, you could be murderers, thieves or worse."

The Constable pauses to listen to Grey.

"I am to ask of you each to empty your pouches. Brucian assist me. Find among them if they have Red Liccorice, if they do, I have reason to believe they are involved with these murders.... maybe even the murder of my.... the murder of my fellow townfolk."

The Constable certainly catches himself, still emblazened with emotion, but not allowing himself to be overcome. Brucian steps to Grey.

"I am sorry my child, but would you show me you have no such candy. Our traditions do not have us burn the bodies in pyres until there is plague afoot, Even in our current issues..."

Brucian looks to grey at his final question, he frowns deeply.

"The bodies.... have all eventually escaped.... I dare not go against the traditions of my goddess... but if you were to.... I would voice my opposition... but would not stop you."
    Festival of Heroes:

10. - Top - End - #370

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne glances down at the sheriff's hand when he grips his sword hilt. Then she holds her arms out to the sides, displaying no weapons in them but obviously challenging him. "Sheriff, I'll ease up when you stop accusing us baselessly when we've offered you no offense. Please, search me - I've no candy of any kind," she says, her voice proud and confident as she deliberately exposes herself to attack, should he wish to do so. "But where I'm from actions matter more than heritage, and so far the only rudeness present has been yours. Care to start behaving like an honorable champion of the law? Or just a petulant child who doesn't like people who look different than him?"

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Millie looks at the sheriff, Search me if you must, but mind you, do not put something there that was not before, for I have no such candies and watch where those hands grab

12. - Top - End - #372

"Okay, so... cremation is against your tenants. Good to know?"

Rose wibbles at being asked to turn out her pockets. She has a good number of them. And they have the strangest things in them. Arcane things. But maybe these folks would not know the context? Rose tries to be subtle and quick with her fingers, hoping they don't see anything too weird and get tired of the plethora of pockets. They definitely won't see any candy. She didn't get any from anyone yet that she knew of.

Slight of hand? (1d20+3)[9]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #373

---------------

Grey groans at the back and forth between the Constable and the non-humans in his party, wondering if things are going to escalate until a confrontation becomes inevitable. But a part of him can't help but be amused by the simple fact that he's the only thief he's aware of in the team (and maybe even a murderer, but such dark thoughts Grey would keep locked for the time being), yet he managed to appear trustworthy to these people.

"Why this Red Licorice should have any relevance to the matter at hand?" he asks, Grey can't really figure out why such a sweet could mean one is a murderer; he complies with the request however, showing both Brucian and the Constable that he's clean (of this licorice, at least).

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Constable considers Cheyanne for a moment, but doesn't say anything, he stays on high alert during the search.

The constable and brucian do a cursory search, nothing actually invasive, barely worse than a frisk and a looking through the most basic of pockets. The females of the group are given some additional leeway during the search as millie reminds the men of the situation. The constable does pull out an odd spell component off rose and looks at it. Then her again, before putting it back in her pocket.

"I once knew a wizard when I was younger. He carried stuff like this. Keep in the very forefront of your mind Caliban. All magic except necromancy is illegal in these lands. And if you are the necromancer raising these corpses.... I can't arrest you. But the murders that have a side effect of producing the main component needed for undead.... those murders.... I can arrest for those.... and the Lord has given me authority to convict, with secondary approval from our Shaman Brucian."

After each one of you is searched, and no Licorice is found, Brucian gives a sigh of relief. The Constable does not seem overjoyed, but he no longer is actively scowling. He looks to Grey.

"Red Licorice has been found at all of the murder sites. The lot of you are momentarily clear of suspicion."
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2023-03-30 at 06:05 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:

15. - Top - End - #375

[QUOTE=Darius Vibrtrar;25745923]"Keep in the very forefront of your mind Caliban."[/QUOYTE]

Rose flinches in exactly the way you imagine she would.

"All magic except necromancy is illegal in these lands. And if you are the necromancer raising these corpses.... I can't arrest you. But the murders that have a side effect of producing the main component needed for undead.... those murders.... I can arrest for those.... and the Lord has given me authority to convict, with secondary approval from our Shaman Brucian."
    "Hey now, no need to accuse a lady of murder just cause she keeps strips of leather and pocket sand on her. The dead have been rising for weeks before I even got here," Rose defensively squeaks. "I don't think the real necromancer behind this would show up as a pretty, yet awkward traveling gal that draws attention... wait, did you say all magic except necromancy is illegal?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The law man listens to rose, but doesn't respond to most of her banter.

"Yes, as declared by the lord of these lands, only magic granted by the divine, and wizardry of a necromancer are allowed. Much of a wizards power would only destroy in a town such as ours."
    Festival of Heroes:

17. - Top - End - #377

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne scowls at the continued insults but holds her tongue as she tries to understand the strange culture of this place. At Brucian's final explanation she asks, "What exactly are the...philosophical tenants...of your goddess? And the liege lord of this place? For a town plagued by the undead you all seem very hesitant to actually take the common steps against them. And even most school children know that necromancers often make undead. So if the undead are the problem, how are you sure the necromancers aren't making the problem worse?"

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Brucian perks up a little at the question.

"I am an anchorite of the church of Ezra, our lady guardian of the mists. Though the locals are apt to call me a shaman. Ezra was once a mortal woman who walked these dark lands, she stood against them, like an anchor resists the inevitable tide, we place the dead in the ground in hopes that they too will help in resisting the Tides of evil and darkness.

As for the lord of these lands. I don't know his reasoning for these laws, but he has never supported the killing of innocent people to make corpses, and until two weeks ago, our cemetery was unmolested."
    Festival of Heroes:

19. - Top - End - #379

---------------

Grey wonders how the locals would be able to tell between arcane and divine magic, since one needs training to do that. But right now he wants some answers "So. As we said, w are here to help. Do you have any advice, people we should talk to or places we should go take a look?" he asks the two men, a bit more eager now to put some distance between the Constable and himself.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Constable folded his arms across his chest.

"Feel free to politely request any resident of our town if they would not be bothered to listen to your questions."

A Grim look across across his face.

"You could start at the candy shop"

He suddenly grins at the morbid humor.

"Sorry, youve proven yourself clean for now"

The comments were apparently aimed at Grey, the only remotely friendly words the constable has spoken to the group. Brucian though looks up to grey.

"You could always try talking to the Tarascon's, they own the large townhouse and the Plantation which brings in most of the income for the town."

The constable nods in agreement
    Festival of Heroes:

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

it seems we have a couple places to start asking questions, the candy shop should be the first as it is closest.

22. - Top - End - #382

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne listens to Brucian closely, her expression sincere but concerned. "And if the dead are animated before they're even buried, how would they help hold back the evil and dark tides? I don't ask to be rude, but I don't understand how this is the right approach..." she presses as she looks to the crypt. "I mean, you said they've all escaped lately - that's not making things better!"

As she speaks to the anchorite she pointedly ignores the sheriff. Once the party has walked away from the two men she confides, "I don't trust the sheriff or his lord. Something in this place is very wrong, and their blindness to it worries me at least as much as the dead rising..."

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Brucian looks sadly to Cheyanne.

"Its an inperfect solution in an inperfect world. The undead have been escaping yes.... but they have not been attacking the villiage, theyve just been.... escaping, and we never see them again, The issue of the undead is much further down on our list of problems because the undead are not causing problems. Now with chains and the mausoleum, maybe they wont be able to escape."
    Festival of Heroes:

24. - Top - End - #384

---------------

"I believe the Constable was speaking in jest when he said to investigate the candy store first, Millie." Grey says, even though he doesn't look amused by the attempt at humour of the Constable "We could of course still pay that shop a visit, but I would speak first with these Tarascon's - they might've heard something and even if they did not, it would be useful to have them know we are here to help the town."

That said, Grey turns towards the Constable and tries to gently squeeze his shoulder "I understand you're under a lot of pressure. You are not alone anymore, if you need help just look for us." and while Grey sure is trying to comfort the stressed Constable, he's not doing it just out of the goodness of his heart - he has seen how hostile he could be (especially with the non-humans), so Grey hopes that being friendly could win him over and stop his provocations.

25. - Top - End - #385

Rose

Since the sheriff doesn't respond to her defensive stance, Rose backs down and lets this matter settle for now. As others ask their questions, Rose looks around the cemetery to see if there are other people milling about the area, especially if they are close enough to be eavesdropping on her group.
    (Perception (1d20+2)[20])

Rose then gets a thought when the conversation gets to the undead escaping, but not attacking the town. "Whoever is behind this might be collecting a mob," she says, but not to anyone in specific. Rose looks like she's just thinking out loud. "But if that's the case, where are the undead going? The necromancer has to be hiding them somewhere not too far away. Assuming they have plans to use that mob locally."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Understood Grey, but this sheriff all but accused us, made us turn out our pockets, I think investigating that candy store is definitely something we should do.

Rose we could always go let ugly out of the box and follow it, it may lead us to this necromancer

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted nods at Millie’s suggestion of following the undead. He doesn’t want to advertise the plan too much, which is why he doesn’t say anything, but it’s the most promising lead yet.

28. - Top - End - #388

NecromancerGuy

"Hard to argue with that," Cheyanne says in agreement. "I don't know that I'd expect a clearer answer from any of the living around here..." she snorts with a glance over her shoulder at the sheriff.

29. - Top - End - #389

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    Rose we could always go let ugly out of the box and follow it, it may lead us to this necromancer
    Rose looks at the mausoleum door, then back to Millie. "I don't know that they'd let us," Rose gestures to the constable and Brucian, "But the merits of the idea are interesting. I would suggest we ask any questions to the locals we wish first, then revisit this idea together."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #390

---------------

"Agree." Grey says when Rose suggest it would be better to talk first and then open a recently buried coffin "I would tread lightly." and he says nothing more until they have taken their leave from Brucian and the constable. Only then he speaks more openly to his companions, revealing some of his thoughts "As I said, I would tread lightly. As Cheyanne, I do not trust these people and I fear we might find ourselves on the wrong end of a pitchfork if some peasant starts screaming about 'Calibans desecrating our tombs!'" he now turns towards the non-humans "And I understand how grating, even outright insulting the Constable has been with you. Fellow wields the law here though and I would not put past him to round a mob to chase us away if he feels cornered. People are scared around here." he ends up on a down note, showing some cynicism "And scared people are dangerous."

That said, he shrugs and points towards the town "If the candy shop is nearby, sure, let's go have a talk with the owner."