New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1511
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XIX: Give Jeph Just A *Little* Credit, Here

Who are the "couple of minors"? Arent Liz & Ayo above 18?

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Who are the "couple of minors"? Arent Liz & Ayo above 18?
    Maybe not minors in the strict sense, but under the required age of 21 for alcohol (or weed for that matter) in Massachusetts.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'm not saying that Jeph can't do good layouts. On more than one occasion he's done something really cool looking - the introduction of Boaty in the middle of a wide blue ocean, the use of isometric viewpoint when Willow showed Hannelore around her bedroom, depicting 'movement' by having them both appear in different places around the same space. They were great.

But my big complaint is, those are rare spectacles and normally he just squeezes people into a panel in whatever order their dialogue appears, and they just move without indicating motion and end up talking to each other at strange, 70+ degree angles.

In short; Jeph has been a professional artist for over 15 years; at this point, "basic competence" shouldn't be impressive.
    This is purely anecdotal, but every time I go back to QC comics from before 4000ish, the panel composition variety feels so much bigger. You can at least usually count on the background changing once, often twice, per comic. It really does a lot of work towards breaking up the visuals and keeping things feeling fresh.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the "reusing backgrounds" tendency of recent comics1 is a major contributor to why some readers (self included) feel the comic is drawn-out and samey more recently. Writing and pacing definitely plays a part, but even in scenes of the same length, different camera angles can really offer a lot of visually interesting variety.

1. I don't have sources to cite for that claim; it just feels like there are fewer perspective shifts per comic these days. Would be interesting to see an analysis if someone has one/gets curious.

4. - Top - End - #1354

RedKnightGirl

In short; Jeph has been a professional artist for over 15 years; at this point, "basic competence" shouldn't be impressive.
    Yeah it's uh, not a great sign. The defensive reading would be that the comic has always been more dialogue focused than art focused, but it's not like the dialogue is pulling the weight much these days either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    This is purely anecdotal, but every time I go back to QC comics from before 4000ish, the panel composition variety feels so much bigger. You can at least usually count on the background changing once, often twice, per comic. It really does a lot of work towards breaking up the visuals and keeping things feeling fresh.
    I used to think there hadn't really been a dip in quality, because frankly I don't think the art in this comic has ever gone beyond 'sufficient to deliver the dialogue', but the sad thing is that going back it clearly has gotten worse and sloppier recently.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Maybe not minors in the strict sense, but under the required age of 21 for alcohol (or weed for that matter) in Massachusetts.
    Damn i keep forgetting about the puritanical laws of America

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    I used to think there hadn't really been a dip in quality, because frankly I don't think the art in this comic has ever gone beyond 'sufficient to deliver the dialogue', but the sad thing is that going back it clearly has gotten worse and sloppier recently.
    Putting aside my whining about technical aspects where I pretend to know how to use words like 'blocking' and 'trucking', I feel that this is a little unfair. QC definitely had a peak in it's art where it was unironically GOOD. There's room to argue about when this was, usually either around the boathouse arc or a little before, but there's been a noticeable dip in quality towards 'poor' in the last few years.

For example, this is how the Secret Bakery used to look. Look at it - different pastries under the counter, words on the blackboard on the wall, different types and colours of bread and bagels, people have different faces, even the colourful brickwork on the building...

...And here it is in 2500 comics' time. Just brown blobs on brown shelves, no blackboard, nothin'.

Hell, here's Union Robotics in 2020. Noticeboards, post-its, certificates on the wall... and here it was 4 days ago; just grey walls. It's even the same wall, because that's the same door behind Faye.

It's not an evolution of the art style - it's just not bothering to draw stuff like there used to be.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2024-02-07 at 03:08 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

You're right about this. Usually when I pick a new comics, I look at the last page's art and the first one. If there is an evolution toward better, I binge and then follow it - if during the binge it's not worth reading I stop, of course. With the current QC artwork, I wouldn't have bothered to binge to begin with - I think I begun around strip 1300, a bit before Dorten breakup. But moreover, what's shocking me is not the lack of details, well not only. It's the lack of life. Not only it used to be more detailed, JJ used to care about point of view (there is a comment about how to keep it in order under one of the first pages where we see Sven's flat), but also there used to be people - I mean people that weren't cast. Nowadays the comics take place in a zone where only bot clowns and meth odd actors appears. If he wants to keep a slice-of-life comics that look like a syndicated strip, he can make all happen in Martens and Claire's apartment/or Claire's office and save time he doesn't want to spend.

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

you know, doctor. normally when your patient has their pants off you keep the front door closed. or at least put up a screen.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    you know, doctor. normally when your patient has their pants off you keep the front door closed. or at least put up a screen.
    Eh, I'd say that allowing the patient to keep the majority of their clothes on and not making sit about uncomfortably in one of those awful paper gowns, desperately attempting to keep the slit centered and pressed against a surface, puts Union Robotics well ahead of the medical establishment in terms of preserving patient dignity.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Eh, I'd say that allowing the patient to keep the majority of their clothes on and not making sit about uncomfortably in one of those awful paper gowns, desperately attempting to keep the slit centered and pressed against a surface, puts Union Robotics well ahead of the medical establishment in terms of preserving patient dignity.
    Litteral open wall to all passing street traffic was more was what I was pointing out. I think that's a fair bit worse because at least in the former case you have some measure of privacy behind a screen or in a room away from literally any stranger off the street who might happen to be passing by.

11. - Top - End - #1361

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    I've never been to a doctor where I've head to wear one of the paper gowns (and due to chronic illness I've been to a lot of doctors). The only time I was required to wear one was in hospital just before I had a surgery (for walking to the operation room). Is is common to have to wear them in normal doctor's offices where you live?
    Last edited by Lycunadari; 2024-02-12 at 10:45 AM.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

12. - Top - End - #1362

Griffon

Honestly, the last two Union Robotics strips have been pretty much okay. I've been tired of Roko and Yay's will they/won't they teasing for about as long as its been a thing, but that being said; Faye is acting like Faye, Roko is acting like Roko, and some plot (Union Robotics making some money by fixing robots, Roko supporting small businesses like her job wants her to, and Yay even trying not to be a super-spy like they promised and instead just stalking Facebook) are all fine.

More please. I'm quite happy to stay here and watch Faye and Bubbles fix and snark at rando's with funny robot problems, rather than go back to the ensuing catastrophe that will be Liz' party.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    I've never been to a doctor where I've head to wear one of the paper gowns (and due to chronic illness I've been to a lot of doctors). The only time I was required to wear one was in hospital just before I had a surgery (for walking to the operation room). Is is common to have to wear them in normal doctor's offices where you live?
    I've been for a few chest x-rays, and the nurses were kind enough to close the door to give me even the slightest bit of privacy, rather than having strangers in the waiting room watch me take my shirt off. I'm a guy so I have nothing much to show off, and I'm not particularly prudish I don't think, but there's a time and a place where I'd want to be 'on show' like that.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2024-02-12 at 12:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1363

I've been for a few chest x-rays, and the nurses were kind enough to close the door to give me even the slightest bit of privacy, rather than having strangers in the waiting room watch me take my shirt off. I'm a guy so I have nothing much to show off, and I'm not particularly prudish I don't think, but there's a time and a place where I'd want to be 'on show' like that.
    Oh yeah, the door should absolutely always be closed! I was just wondering how common hospital gowns are in other places.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Troll in the Playground

More please. I'm quite happy to stay here and watch Faye and Bubbles fix and snark at rando's with funny robot problems, rather than go back to the ensuing catastrophe that will be Liz' party.
    Kind of reminds me of Ye Olden Days in the Coffee of Doom, where being sassed and ridiculed by the staff was part of the appeal.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

So, I'm a bit unlcear on how the bread fetish thing works with loco. Is it like that feeling you get when your ex smoked a particular brand of cigarette, and you smell that somewhere else and your body has the same response as sex with them did? or is it trying to be a full-on synesthesia thing?

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Troll in the Playground

So, I'm a bit unlcear on how the bread fetish thing works with loco. Is it like that feeling you get when your ex smoked a particular brand of cigarette, and you smell that somewhere else and your body has the same response as sex with them did? or is it trying to be a full-on synesthesia thing?
    Not sure if there is a direct parallel with human experience here. On the other hand it was shown that certain smells trigger things in AIs as was the case with Bubbles and tea for example. Roco might simply be hit harder by bread and we never quite got a glimpse of what exactly is she feeling.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Not sure if there is a direct parallel with human experience here. On the other hand it was shown that certain smells trigger things in AIs as was the case with Bubbles and tea for example. Roco might simply be hit harder by bread and we never quite got a glimpse of what exactly is she feeling.
    Its been made pretty clear its sexual in nature.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Ogre in the Playground

Bread and bread-related stuff is arousing to Roko. The smell, the concept, the bakers, the texture.

Her brain is literally wired funny that way. And its perfectly fine. If anything, it should reassure her that she is still her, rather than a copy in a new alien body.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

The way I see it: it's a fetish, so it's going to be pretty much impossible to explain to someone who doesn't share it. This is pretty common even in the real world -- even relatively common fetishes are incomprehensible to a lot of people on the outside looking in.

Add in the wacky nature of QC and the fascinating synesthesia thing you mentioned AIs having with tea, and it all just kinda tracks for me in a goofy way.

Of course, I love that the impetus for this entire part of Roko's character comes from a throwaway joke where Pintsize shot toast at her on a date, and then as far as I can tell, when the characters said "wait why did Roko agree to that date" Jeph said "**** it" and decided that Roko has a bread fetish. And honestly, that's funny as hell to me, and the exact kind of reckless commitment to the bit that makes a lot of longform improv exciting, where you yes-and something once and it eventually spirals out of control to have really weird worldbuilding consequences (every DM of every TTRPG campaign can likely relate to that one )
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2024-02-14 at 02:58 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Ogre in the Playground

The way I see it: it's a fetish, so it's going to be pretty much impossible to explain to someone who doesn't share it. This is pretty common even in the real world -- even relatively common fetishes are incomprehensible to a lot of people on the outside looking in.

Add in the wacky nature of QC and the fascinating synesthesia thing you mentioned AIs having with tea, and it all just kinda tracks for me in a goofy way.

Of course, I love that the impetus for this entire part of Roko's character comes from a throwaway joke where Pintsize shot toast at her on a date, and then as far as I can tell, when the characters said "wait why did Roko agree to that date" Jeph said "**** it" and decided that Roko has a bread fetish. And honestly, that's funny as hell to me, and the exact kind of reckless commitment to the bit that makes a lot of longform improv exciting, where you yes-and something once and it eventually spirals out of control to have really weird worldbuilding consequences (every DM of every TTRPG campaign can likely relate to that one )
    I have little investment in that comic. I usually just go with the flow and enjoy myself.

Roko getting her Dough Knead is probably the one thing i actually hope happens for her. She deserves to freely live with what makes her tick

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Why would someone need multiple vodkas of varying fanciness? Just pick your favorite and keep that one stocked.

I do keep a liquor cabinet stocked for company in case a guest wants a cocktail, I like gin, but I don't keep stocked up on multiple kinds of gin or anything.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Because sometime people just want to get drunk on the cheap, and I'm pretty sure jello shots fall into that category normally.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

There's also the difference between sipping liquor (you have it in a glass by itself and maybe a bit of ice) and cocktail liquor. If I'm putting brandy into hot chocolate, it doesn't much matter the quality of the brandy because the fine details are getting masked by the hot chocolate.

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    There's also the difference between sipping liquor (you have it in a glass by itself and maybe a bit of ice) and cocktail liquor. If I'm putting brandy into hot chocolate, it doesn't much matter the quality of the brandy because the fine details are getting masked by the hot chocolate.
    Pretty much this. That being said, I am not sure what could be fancy in particular about vodka. Sure, quality does make a difference, but the ceiling is pretty low: you go from cheap and awful to decently priced and ok. From what I can tell, above that level only the price increases.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Titan in the Playground

Why would someone need multiple vodkas of varying fanciness? Just pick your favorite and keep that one stocked.

I do keep a liquor cabinet stocked for company in case a guest wants a cocktail, I like gin, but I don't keep stocked up on multiple kinds of gin or anything.
    It's kinda weird for vodka because the mark of quality vodka is to have as little flavor as possible (so all high-end vodkas should, theoretically, taste effectively the same - ie, like alcoholic distilled water, because that's pretty much what they -are-) Cheap vodkas are mostly reserved for 'I want this drink, but with alcohol' usages. Willow apparently just really likes Jello, as most people would use the cheapest vodka they had on hand for jello shots to achieve 'jello, but alcoholic' and not care about how that might affect the flavor of either the vodka or the gelatin-based chilled dessert.

For most styles of alcohol there are detectably different flavors among different bottles that arise from differences in how the producers make it and age it, let alone what happens when you use different base grains or additional flavorings, so there are certainly reasons to keep a variety of bottles if you're a booze nerd.

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    For most styles of alcohol there are detectably different flavors among different bottles that arise from differences in how the producers make it and age it, let alone what happens when you use different base grains or additional flavorings, so there are certainly reasons to keep a variety of bottles if you're a booze nerd.
    To be frank, even run-of-the-mill lagers differ in taste considerably depending on the brand, but usually people have their favorite and do not keep a variety of the same type of beer. Once you go into some other beers though, I can fully see someone keeping lagers, porters, wheat beers and other types as they are very different drinks the same way as red and white wines are not interchangeable (same goes for the sweet/dry distinction).

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Ettin in the Playground

I currently have three single malt whiskeys at home and there is a difference. I'll admit I consider myself something of an alcohol connoisseur at this point, but you can tell the difference. And after a while, you can't go back to the 10 dollar, store bought brands. Believe me, I tried.

Also, after 2508(and counting) beers... I can only say that variety is, indeed, spice of life.

Now granted, as others have mentioned... vodka is a bit of its own kind of alcohol, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents. Maybe they perceive it a status symbol, or maybe they just like variety.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Sure, quality does make a difference, but the ceiling is pretty low: you go from cheap and awful to decently priced and ok. From what I can tell, above that level only the price increases.
    [insert joke about ALL high-end liquor, wine, & coffee here]
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2024-02-15 at 12:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Troll in the Playground

[insert joke about ALL high-end liquor, wine, & coffee here]
    It's not a joke. It's just that the quality ceiling for drinks with actual taste is higher than for something that should be devoid of taste by the very method of creating it. So for wines, whiskey's or beers adding more 0's to the price does not automatically make it better. Very often you will not even feel the difference between a good 10$ wine and some 1000$ wine. In fact, even wine professionals are not that much better at it (here's an article on how wine awards are effectively given randomly).

30. - Top - End - #1380

Griffon

Is it just me, or does that "scintillating" comment under the comic come across as sarcastic about Jeph's own work?

To be scintillating means to be witty, animated, vivacious.... All things which this woeful excuse for a conversation about ketchup and Willow's arbitrary tastelessness... aren't?

It makes me think; an ironically boring conversation is still also actually boring as well. Just write something else, if you want to?