New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: The End of an Era Part 1

The nobleman once more bows profoundly in respect and contrition.

They came in a large ship one of those four sail junks that catch the wind easily. Where did they go I ignore, but their banners where those of the crab. They might have sailed to the North East around the cape of Frozen Islands, that would take them to the open seas from where they could sail to the crab lands without having to touch imperial ports.

The sisters... they are withches that live in an island to the North part of the Seabird archipielago, our boats avoid approaching the Island, they eat men! Or so it is said, I don't know of anyone who has gone there

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Onka was thankful for Alhalya's healing powers. It would probably take him several days to get back to his usual abilities without her.

The dancer listened attentively towards the words of the noble. He realized that he has been missing several ongoings while being secluded to his village and then being on the run.

I don't suppose the fishing boats could catch up with this four-sailer?

Suddenly the exhaustion catches up with Onka and he blinks heavily several times, shaking his head to clear his thoughts and suppresses a hearty jawn.

I'm sorry we have been riding all day and then all what happened... Onka moves his hands for emphasis.

I'm taking you're up on you're offer to sleep here if that's alright?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"If I may ask--" The shaman gestured towards the chests as the curiosity gnawed at her. "--may we see what these Crab gave you? These gifts may not be safe to keep, given the evil that their bringers have already performed this night."

And that was a valid fear. That, after all the effort and lives lost in battle, once Ahalyā and the others left the following morning, whatever "gifts" their quarry gave the nobles might bring more corruption and taint to this poor village, undoing what little they have managed to stave back!

4. - Top - End - #364
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Shaman gets a grave, quick nod, but not one more idle word is spoken on the matter. You haven't seen much of the sea before? Leylek asks Onka instead, almost gently. But no matter. he waves the thought away immediately, with hardly a frown. The answer is a no, barring… the Crane looks up at the ceiling for a moment. He can almost hear it now. …strange winds. A miracle. The wind of the kami as the island folk call it. Such large ships take good ports to service, never the less. the noble earns a pointed look of recognition himself. His inferences confirm well with the bird's own. Not that this matters much either. Seeing about the "gifts" is almost certainly more urgent; and their noble leader chose a different course to follow first. There is a day for all things; and the day for great ships on fire and torn banners of the faithless sinking into the brine was not yet come.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura frowns at the forthrightness of Ahalyā, he had thought their decorum lessons were working, but apparently they needed some work.

He merely scowls as the others talk, hoping the noble will not be insulted by the errant question from the Shaman.

Spoiler
    Show

Miromoto Shimura
    M LG Human (dragon) Samurai \ Mirumoto Niten Master 2
    Level 7 Init 3, HP 41/61, Speed 30
    AC 21 Touch 14 Flat-footed 18
    Fort +9 Ref +5 Will +6
    Stats Str 18, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 15
    Condition's Fortification 25%, DR 1/-, Mantle of flame 2d6 fire on hit, Essentia 3
    Special Law devotion [0/1], Belt of Healing [0/3], Anklets of Translocation [0/3], +1 bonus on saving throws against paralysis and sleep effects, Blade Guide, Eternal Training [1/1]
    speech: 008080

Mirumoto Niten, Ancestor (Blade Guide)
    Least Soulspark, Tiny Outsider (Lawful, Incarnum, Native)
    Hit Dice 2d8 Init 5, HP 16/16, Speed 20 ft., fly 30 ft. (perfect)
    AC 15 Touch 13 Flat-footed 14
    Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +4
    Stats Str 10, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 6, Wis 13, Cha 13
    Condition's Amorphous (immune to crits/sneak attack), DR 1/chaotic, Evasion
    Special
    -Attack Bonus: 0/2; +1 bonus to-hit&damage / Essentia
    -Deflection Bonus: 1/2; +1 deflection to AC / Essentia
    -Healing: 0/2; Fast healing 1 / Essentia
    -Saving Throw: 0/2; +1 resistance bonus / Essentia
    Attack: Soul blast +5 ranged touch (1d4+1)
    Skills: Diplomacy +3, Hide +14, Knowledge (history) +3, Listen +6, Move Silently +6, Sense Motive +6, Spot +6
    speech: 40E0D0

Soulmeld Benefit Essentia benefit Invested Bound
    Mirumoto Niten dragonmark - +25%/e 1/2 Arms
    Mantle of Flame 1d6 fire +1d6/e 1/2 -
    Soulspark Familiar Blade guide Familiar multiple options 1/2 -

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Onka shakes his head regarding Leylek's question. I did try to avoid coasts and harbors. I know of lakes and streams that rest or play in the mountains, I was never at sea.

When Alhalya mentioned that the gifts may come from the crab Onka's drowsiness vaporated, his whole body tensed up and the delicate tableware they were using are hold in a different, more sinister way by the dancer, while his eyes wander from the noble to the chest.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Our fishing boats are not fast enough to catch up with a junk that size.

Shimura and Leylek know that if there was a way of confirming the ship direction, it could be faster to sail northeast a little while and then rush across the country to the other coast.

Spoiler: OoC: Large image
    Show

He then looks at Onka.

Dancer San, my house it is at your disposition, rest. We'll take care of everything else

Then he looks at Ahalya and bows, The man starts unwrapping the small chest, it looks heavy in his hands.

You must understand Shimura Sensei, we accept the gold because we thought they were honorable samurai...

The chest looks made of brass and engraved with demonic figures. The man opens the lid with the chest facing towards you. But where the man saw gold, you only see bones, fingers and phalanxes bones white clean.

The man follows your look down to the chest and drops it, startled, the bones spread on the ground.

Spoiler: OoC Detect magi and such.
    Show
    The chest emanates magic, Illusion and Necromancy.
    Spoiler: OoC identify
    Show
    Chest of the deceiver (CL 10) Activation: Standard. 1/day you can activate the chest to generate a major image effect inside the chest, any object inside the chest looks and feels real, once activated the effect lasts 8 hours. Tainted Magic: Increase the DC for disbelief by 5 by placing human bones inside the chest, this also adds a weight illusion to the normal effects of Major Image. If used this way, the user must succeed a Will Save equal to the modified Disbelief DC or gain 1 point of taint.

This beautiful Silk scarf is decorated with classical images of courtship and lovers in intimate conversation, it emanates Necromancy and Transmutation:
    Spoiler: Identify
    Show
    Lovers' embrace: (Cursed silk scarf of the Penangolan CL 12): Penangolan use this scarfs on young women and men who they enthrall with their domination effect that makes them easier to control. The scarf places a curse as in bestow curse, no save, -4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks. It has to be given as a present, and it bounds the giver and the receiver. If anyone else other than the giver tries to remove the scarf, the scarf chokes the wearer as a rope of entanglement. An entangled creature can break free with a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 20 Escape Artist check.

Regardless of your actions, when you finally fall asleep, the magic lingering in this place invades your rest.

The Dreams:

Spoiler: Shimura
    Show
    A surreal scene of the stronghold where you grew up takes you back a decade. There you are, before sunrise, training with other young samurai, practicing the clan secret techniques. The voices of your mentors repeating the Dragon's creed, their eternal words of wisdom: there's an entity moving between the young samurai, proudly watching over them. Suddenly: it looks at your eyes and into your soul:

What comes is what has been
    the wounds are old as the world itself
    Honor will not be served, for the sacrifice is great
    The warriors of old are the fate of the morning

When you wake up next morning, you can feel the presence of your ancestors, almost material.

Spoiler: Leylek
    Show
    The thunder rolls in the vast steppe calling forth the rains that may the grass grow and the animals thrive. The thunder rolls and masks the sound of an horde, galloping free and wild in the immensity of a world once was yours. But as you fly to join the proud, you see their mounts! The horde is riding Onikages, demonic horses, and they are no longer human but shadows. Lighting illuminates the sky and sets the prairie on fire the riders come as a tornado and surround you, you forget everything and become a frenzied whirlwind. This is not your past, it is the future. You feel it in your hollow bones.

You wake up rattled and agitated. but somehow feeling stronger and more resolved.

Spoiler: Onka
    Show
    In your dream you are a flowing river, a Kami of water sprung in the mountains. You feel the trout dancing against your currents, and the mills feeding on your stream. Dance is the only natural movement, the portal to the original form of things and beings. Dance is how snow thaws and filters into the springs, it is how Kami greet the land and touch the heavens. You dream the movement of the Kami, the steady current behind the illusion of individuality: you have ran so far atoning for crimes that only men measure that you forgot Kami don't dwell on individual losses. Not when shadows rot the land.

You sleep placidly, so much, the others have to wake you!

Spoiler: Ahalya
    Show
    The night swirls around you, the ceiling becomes transparent and your mystical eye elevates toward the dark sky. It is the moon, full and bright, that traces shadows. From above you see it: the complexity of lines and the intensity of shades is possible under the brilliant moon. It reveals what's hidden in the night. Yours is not a dream, is a premonition, the spirits reach to you and map out a timeline. It is the moon, there's not much time left before its light draws the world in solid shadows.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura's eyes went wide as the noble opened the chest and he hissed as the bones were scattered on the floor with the soft click clack of bone on wood, he instinctively steps back, readying his blade for any possible threat. Seeing none and feeling a little on edge, he furrowed his brow and stood up straight, slowly and methodically composing himself.

"There is no judgement here, but I think we should take these as evidence of their subterfuge, and maybe my companions can see what exactly these things are." He smiles kindly to the noble, somewhat disarmingly so, but also a subtle hint of a fatherly look, as if he was teaching the man. "I shall donate to the Shrine in the grove, as you should also, the Kami here should do well to be reminded of our obeisance." he nods, as if the matter was done.

And with that, he heads outside among the wreckage of the village to do just that, he finds the shrine, and kneel down with reverence, the Kami here...were, well, he did not know, his friends were surely in tune with them, and he would heed their advice, but now, he would heed his ancestors teachings, pleasing he Kami's was their honor and it was not to be shirked, such things caused....well. He looked around This he thinks to himself.

Once done, he stands and moves into the Nobles house to rest for the night, making sure they had a watch at the minimum, and standing his post wherever it lay, the others had more duties, so he could take an extra watch to cover them.

His sleep was not restful, waking in what seemed a vision he realized he was back in his Fortress monastery, the snowly slopes shining brilliantly in the morning sunrise, they were already out practicing the secret kata's of his clan, he recalled the agony of repeating the same move over, and over again, his masters correcting his form and forcing him to practice. It was as such things were, practice, pain, and consistency grew skill, such things were the way they were, and then suddenly, a force was staring at him from the dream, as if he were real, and not an ethereal watched of times past.

What comes is what has been
    the wounds are old as the world itself
    Honor will not be served, for the sacrifice is great
    The warriors of old are the fate of the morning

The image swirled and he saw his ancestor, Mirumoto Niten!

He awoke with a sudden startle, it was just a dream....."No, it was not" Mirumoto Niten replied in kind, Shimura looked over wide eyed, mouth agape "Do not stare, it is unbecoming...and you look like a goldfish, close your mouth." he said slowly fading away until all that remained was a small ball of light...energy which flew around him like a small insect.

Shimura stood, mouth opening a few times but nothing he thought of was enough, he turned to the others with wide eyes....he pinched his nose "I had the strangest....not-dream?" he says to the others.

Spoiler
    Show

Miromoto Shimura
    Level 7 Init 3, HP 41/61, Speed 30
    Fort +9 Ref +5 Will +6
    Condition's Fortification 25%, DR 1/-, Mantle of flame 2d6 fire on hit, Essentia 3
    Special Law devotion [1/1], Belt of Healing [0/3], Anklets of Translocation [3/3], +1 bonus on saving throws against paralysis and sleep effects, Blade Guide, Eternal Training [1/1]

Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +4
    Special
    Skills: Diplomacy +3, Hide +14, Knowledge (history) +3, Listen +6, Move Silently +6, Sense Motive +6, Spot +6

Map
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2024-01-29 at 03:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

9. - Top - End - #369

Those waking find Leylek more sullen yet than he usually is. He nods, curtly, as the Samurai speaks. Some years ago I would have thought little of such things. But I too have dreamed, and not as well as Onka-san. he says grimly. My kin has a tale – and please don't laugh if you know better. the bird bows his head towards Ahalyā, briefly. Most mortals can swallow the wind, but cannot keep it in. My kin can fly, because ours of old, guided by the ongon bird, perhaps, have tamed some of it. It is in our bones, and there it sleeps. It does not wake for small things, until the day we die. Then it wakes, and the soul rides away on it. The Crane frowns, as though he'd rather not continue. I've been longing for a good war, since before I came here. A war with the Crab, I thought it will be good, and it will let the strong stand tall, told from the weak. But this is not a war. I saw it spread, in my dream, past the sea, onto the land of my people. And as I stood against it, I became the whirlwind myself. he continues, closing and opening his fists, contemplating them for a moment. Still, if that is death, I will go standing. There's no shame in a good death. May Fate will that or better.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-01-30 at 02:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When the bones are revealed Onka is disgusted and pleads at least for a proper burial of the remnants. There is a little bit of misplaced Schadenfreude that the noble got fooled which is quickly replaced by ever growing need to sleep.

The face of the dancer, almost always somehow fraught or strained, even when he sleeps this time is totally relaxed. His eyes, normally darting around when he closes them are still too and there is even a slight smile on his lips.

When Leylek says his name Onka stirs slightly but it does take him a long time to actually escape the see of dreams he was catched in. When he finally got free he looks around, needing to find his mental bearings first but then is all smiles.

I had the most pleasant of dreams. The dancer stretches, wincing slightly when he feels the wounds of yesterday still impeding him slightly. Not that it could bring down his great mood. He needs to ask again what the dreams of the others were about, which puts a damper on his mood, but only momentarily.

I can't quite remember what my dream is about, but I'm positive that we have the help of our ancestors and the kami of the land on our side. I think I even have some ideas how to coax them out.

Onka begins to comb his hair but still talks animated. We can stand against the storm and the Crab. They have thrown themselves against us with a lot of they're might and we're still standing are we not? We are hunting them, not the other way around.

The dancer binds his hair in a loose braid. I'm not sure about faith bringing us together but we have fought remarkably well against them and we are on they're tail. We are in the position to act and make a difference.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

It is a sad morning, the village mourns the loss and then waits at the beach for the arrival of the fishing boats that will find the charred buildings and the lost siblings ashore.

They arrive soon after the sun is up, one figure cut against the wind and the horizon catches your attention. After all, from the entrance of the house, across the garden with the huge cherry tree you can see what’s left of the pier. And there you see the old woman from yesterday waiting for his son’s boat.

The men cannot believe what they find, at the sight of the burnt houses and the funerary pyre they jump into the shallow waters and half swim half run to the beach to embrace the loved ones scarred by the shadow.

From desperate chorus they hear the story and one by one they learn whose wife is dead, whose child is no more, whose father memory they now have to honor.

Eventually, the old woman grabs his now widowed son by the hand and helps him rise from the still warm floor next to the pyre and takes him solemnly to you.

This is my son, sirs, he can help you

Two eyes look at you as two vases overflowing with sadness. His voice trembles. And despite his loss he thanks you.

mother tells me how you saved the village…mother, mother, says you couldn’t help the night before, that you couldn’t save her…I’m Ono, and I’m at your service. My humble boat and crew are at your service

What do you do?

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Indeed..." nodded Ahalyā in sad agreement with Onka about the bones. "They too deserve proper rest -- though, cleansing them in holy water beforehand as well may be a good idea."

The dreams of the shaman that night did not feel like dreams. No, this was a warning from Ahalyā's ancestors of What Was To Come should they fail. What had started out as a simple task to recover the sacred scroll had grown into something much more dire than the fall of one kingdom. Should they fall, all the realms threatened to be plunged into the maw of the Void! Into the dark with its foul, corrupted steam...

...wait, that was just Raksha and her morning breath.

"PAH! Raksha, please!" Ahalyā gently pushed the snout of her faithful companion away as she slowly pulled herself out of her bedroll. Her brow furrowed in concern with the visions she had been granted -- but she felt stronger too. "Here, Raksha, come here..." Ahalyā stroked the wolf's cheek, feeling the release of holy energy to treat Raksha's injuries from last night. O Ancestors, thank you for this blessed gift!

After her morning meditations, she felt able to Look at the chest and scarf more closely. A simple Detect Magic confirmed her worse fears. "Yes, these are indeed cursed and vile items to fear. Most certainly, do not wear this scarf or use the chest! EEP! They bring Taint and misery!" Ahalyā shuddered. The vanara's mood suddenly brightened. "Ho friends, but the Ancestors have blessed me with a new gift for our task. Please, now, let me properly tend to your remaining injuries!"

With the return of the fishing boats, Ahalyā's mood grew somber again as, once more, all the deaths suffered from last night's battle came to the forefront.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Before the fishing boats arrive, Onka dances, honoring great beasts, his ancestors, both from the more martial part of his family and the more somber ones. His mood isn't really dampened when the fishermen return and the wailing rises up once more. They did what they could, it would have been better to be able to save more, but they couldn't take the burden of everyone killed or they would sink before arriving at the crabs.

Ono however get's the dancers full sympathy, he bows towards the fishermen.

I'm Onka. I thank you that you are willing to help us, even in you're time of grief. You're mother told us that you may be able to bring us towards to an isle in the north, part of the Seabird archipelago? Where 'The Sisters' live? You would only need to bring us towards the isle not stay there.

The dancer took initiative in the talk, still brimming with energy, now even more thanks to Ahalya's support.

14. - Top - End - #374

Some somber uncertainty still hanging about him, Leylek nevertheless succeeds in restoring his focus, enough of it, at least to give the matter of the tainted ware some consideration as he accepts the Shaman's blessing of life, bowing his head and neck in silent gratitude and unspoken respect. I may do something about these, if you deem that it is urgent to do so. he remarks, with mild disgust colouring his voice. The strength, harder than steel, he brought to bear against the false samurai and the banner of the Crab the other day… It might be just enough. But there might be a better day and a better hour for that.

Out by the sea and by the pier, the Crane sticks close to his silence. A look of concern, more tired than truly displeased, is flashed in Shimura's direction as Onka takes it upon himself to speak before the Samurai or Shaman could – but he is somewhat relieved the dancer did so still. There's little in the way of comforting words he could offer, to Ono or to anyone. The fisherman only receives a firm nod for now. He may yet earn more, with time. But now, there's work to do.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura, now more composed, and dressed properly, was watching from behind, hands on his daisho as he liked to do.

He merely smiled at Leylek's reaction, Onka was doing fine, so he stayed quite.

Spoiler
    Show

Miromoto Shimura
    Level 7 Init 3, HP 61/61, Speed 30
    Fort +9 Ref +5 Will +6
    Special Law devotion [1/1], Belt of Healing [0/3], Anklets of Translocation [3/3], +1 bonus on saving throws against paralysis and sleep effects, Blade Guide, Eternal Training [1/1]

Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +4
    Special

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Ono's eyes are wells of grief, and there's little traces of stoicism, he barely can stop himself from shivering. He speaks in short dry sentences, each of them self contained answering Onka's questions quickly without even looking any of the heroes face to face.

We will take yo there

It is dangerous and cursed

It will take us the best part of a day to get there

Be ready in half an hour.

I need to...

I need to...

He bows as an apology and bursts away.

The old woman watches him, not trying to stop him and speaks to you with great resolve

Ono is brave, but his pain is great, I'll take you to his boat. Come with me if you are ready to go.

What do you do?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Onka looks after Ono when he bursts away, looking worried. He was in high spirits but it was understandable when others were not after they're entire world has been broken down.

I'll... Think Ono shouldn't be left alone right now. I be there when the ships take off.

Onka follow's poor Ono, but staying a respectful distance away from him, trying to show him that he is not alone. If the honest fisher seems like he want to talk the dancer would come near to try to lend an attentive ear, or a shoulder to cry on.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I guess
    Sense Motive: (1d20+1)[2]

18. - Top - End - #378

There's strength to those words. A fisherman's strength, but strength none the less. Leylek nods his agreement to the old woman. But Onka-san speaks true. We better be certain this strength stays fast and prudent. As for myself… he regards the departing Onka and then the sea for a moment My people live on the move, Elder. I am ready.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Onka's best intentions fail to do any good as the dancer just follows Ono as a shadow and stares at him uncomfortably as Ono cries his heart out knelt in front of the house he shared with his young wife. He tears some of his clothes and then rushes inside the house coming out a few minutes later with heavy lines under his eyes.

He doesn't even notice Onka.

Elsewhere, there are similar scenes as the scale of the tragedy strikes the village.

Ono walks around the village telling calling the crew to man the boat once more.

Onka, unable to fully understand Ono's pain, remains a silent shadow.

The noble man and his wife bring you some rations to the beach were the rest of you wait for the fishermen to come by. Amidst the shock the boats are still anchored close enough, gently swayed by the waves, their precious load at the mercy of seagulls that circle the unguarded boats squealing and venturing fearless on deck.

To this, some folks break the shock and rush through the shallows to scare the birds away and unload the fish.

What do you do?

20. - Top - End - #380

Leylek's beak opens and clacks shut suddenly, noisily. Ono's nowhere yet to be seen; and now, here's finally something he might do for these people. He leaps into the air and begins to glide in a broad, flat circle over the ships – and he invokes the tongue. The Horse Tongue, his people often call it, for it is a good thing, of great use for the rider – but birds and beasts understand it just as well. He saw that, and often enough: with Kalyek, that harmless fool of a brother talking to his falcons… Those were good times.

Fly off, now! he screeches loudly at the gulls. There was killing. Men are angry. Stronger than you! Eager to harm. They think you're laughing! Fly off, now!

Show

Using Spiritual Connection to Sepak with Animals, namely the seagulls.
    Diplomacy, if it helps: (1d20+4)[22]

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ahalyā's heart broke upon seeing Ono and the other newly grieving fishermen. Part of her wanted to reach out, to offer comfort and condolences...

...but they wouldn't be staying. Their loved ones died because of a conflict they shouldn't have been dragged into. Any words the shaman could say would probably sound hollow right now. No, when Ahalyā and the others left, they needed to make sure no villager here died in vain, especially for the sake of a stolen scroll. What IS this scroll? If we recover it, will the land finally heal again? Did it keep back the corruption -- is that why it was stolen? Does it even have anything to do with all the evil plaguing everything right now? So many questions spun around in Ahalyā's brain.

She sighed. Even if the scroll was just pretty, non-magical words on parchment and this was all just a horrible coincidence, the others were honor-bound in getting it back. So much pain and death -- is it worth it? Why -- why is all this happening? Why now?! What happened to the Crab for them to have embraced this evil? Is it the entire Clan? Is someone or something setting them up -- to make the Prince wage war against them? The shaman frowned in thought. Their immediate path would take them to these "Three Sisters", rumored to be eaters of men. Would the kami's amulet grant them safe audience with them? Would they be able to get ANY answers from them as to where their quarry was heading or what the enemy's objective was or would it all be more riddles leading them farther away?

"Ohhhh...too many questions, Raksha! Thinkthinkthink! Must narrow it DOWN!" The vanara rapped her knuckles against the side of her head. Fetching a brazier, Ahalyā then sat cross-legged on the beach and sprinkled some incense into it. She then pulled out her lacquered tiles, looking at them for a few heartbeats. She had never been strong enough to get more specific answers from the spirits and ancestors before. Now, for the mission's sake -- for the world's sake -- she had to try. "Raksha, watch over me please..."

Raksha padded over protectively, only pausing to glare at Leylek squawking with the gulls.

Ahalyā inhaled the sweet, smokey scent of incense and shut her eyes.

"Ancestors, I know I have asked much from you these past few days -- and you have aided myself and my allies. This time I ask for your wisdom and guidance as I fear this conflict grows even more vile, threatening to envelop all the lands. I and my allies...we need to focus. We need to narrow down who is truly responsible...

...who is responsible -- who gave the order for the sacred scrolls to be stolen?"

As the smoke curled around her like a serpent, she tossed the tiles onto the sands...

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Casting Divination finally! Knowledge Domain gives her +1 to her caster level.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Leylek converses with the seagulls and these flock around him squeaking and looking at the crane sideways for a long minute while the crane squeaks and gestures for them to leave against all instinct. Eventually they settle on the ships' masts, mesmerized by Leylek but unable to leave food untouched...

That buys the fishers enough time to start unloading the boats.

Meanwhile Ahayla sits in trance with her lacquered tiles, she commutes with the spirits throwing the tiles six times and drawing the hexagrams in the ashes of the brazier as drawing in the air, when she is done she sees the Hexagram 24, the Return, and the message comes in verses. It's not a clear answer of who, as the oracles do not see in things past, but a vision of the present and the things to come:

Hexagram 24 - Return (Fu):
    Within the veiled shadows, the samurai clan stands on the precipice, contemplating entry into the realm beyond. Like a river winding back to its source, consider a retreat. In the quiet return lies the strength to face the impending darkness.

Changing Lines:
    6 at the beginning:
    Before plunging into the abyss, purify intent. A distorted purpose attracts unseen malevolence. Step back, cleanse the spirit, and sharpen the blade of righteousness.

9 at the third place:
    The gateway to shadows calls, but tread carefully. A strategic withdrawal preserves strength for the shadowed dance. Wisdom lies in the art of stepping back.

Advisory Message:
    In the pursuit of hidden realms, cling to the essence of Bushido. True triumph rests in the convergence of spirit and blade. Retreat not as surrender but as a silent return to the core. As the moon waxes and wanes, let your actions mirror the rhythm. Be steadfast, yet supple, navigating the shadows with the clarity of a still pond reflecting the elusive moon.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Onka follows Ono being unsure what to do.

Should he tell him how his father was able to shoulder the burden the loss of his wife? But Ono does talk to others and seem to rally his crew, definitely realizing that even when his world is shattered the ones of his fellows are still intact.

Onka strides over towards Ono's house and let his gaze wander around it, whatever Ono searched he probably found it.

The dancer, while still beeing uncomfortable still shadows Ono just as a precaution.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"OOK!"

Ahalyā's eyes suddenly snapped open. She was about ready to slap herself for Messing Up the Divination. After all, according to the teachers and sages, you were supposed to ask about a recent event in the coming future -- and she had foolishly asked about the past.

And yet...

...the patterns, the hexagrams...

...somehow, the ancestors took pity on this foolish monkey and chose to answer her regardless. Not clearly, of course, this was still something involving the future -- the possible future. It was ever-changing, flowing and ebbing like the tide, not static like a looking glass. But there was a particular theme drumming through like a heartbeat in its words. A warning.

Ahalyā didn't think it was specific to them meeting with the Sisters. If it had been, she got the feeling it would have been more urgent. No, the common theme was the need to pause in this hunt. Wherever their quarry intended to flee to, somehow Ahalyā and the others should not follow blindly. That they would need to withdraw to properly prepare themselves.

Ohhh, by all the gods and spirits, do they make for the Voidlands then?! Ohhh, ancestors, please guide my words and deeds in order to protect my allies from doing anything rash!

"Blessed ancestors, thank you for showing light on this poor soul's journey..." Ahalyā stretched herself prostrate in supplication. "...may I be strong enough to know when to bend in the path."

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Whether the message from your ancestors is clear in meaning to you remains a mystery. It could be advice on your actions or it could be a convoluted answer to your exact question.

Ono finishes his preparation, frantically moving around with his crew as if that movement scared away the pain: resolve in motion, don’t stop.

In a matter of minutes you are on board the fishing junk, it is light and stinks of fish, the frame and baskets still littered with fish guts and blood. But it is a quick sail! And Ono is quite competent, his somber face cut by the wind and the salt.

if the wind stays like this, we should see the island by the end of the afternoon. There’s no safe way to harbor, so It’s up to you to make it to the island. I’ll have to take the boat back.
    As we approach you’ll see what I mean. The tide will be low, that’s good

As indicated, by the end of the afternoon, as the low sun draws golden lines in the calm sea, You see the island. A sharp rock with deadly cliffs surrounded by a belt of dangerous rocks. Some sad trees perched to the rocks suggest some sort of life inside. The rocks that bound the island are tied with sacred ancient ropes weathered by the sea.

A misty cloud floats around the cliffs and ends abruptly at the rock belt.

they say not even the birds fly in, only crows

Ono points out.
    Then, as you come close, he signals a gap between two rocks and beyond, semi submerged in the low tide, a large cave like an open maw.

That’s as far as I can take you

What do you do?

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura had knelt on the beach and started to meditate as the villagers attempted to gather what fish they could from the boats.

As Shimura settled into his meditation, his consciousness drifted back to the snow-covered slopes of his fortress monastery. The crisp air filled his lungs as he stood amidst the ancient pines, the sun casting long shadows across the landscape. But this time, he was not alone. His ancestor, Mirumoto Niten, stood beside him, his presence a comforting yet formidable presence.

"Focus, young one," Niten's voice echoed in Shimura's mind. "The path to mastery is forged through discipline and dedication."

With a determined nod, Shimura readied himself for the training that lay ahead. The scene around him shifted, and suddenly, he found himself in a vast dojo, the wooden floor polished to a gleaming shine.

The training montage began with the rhythmic sound of feet on the wooden floor as Shimura and Niten engaged in a series of intricate kata. Each movement was precise, fluid, a dance of blades that echoed through the silent chamber.

Niten's guidance was ever-present, his voice offering words of encouragement and wisdom as they moved through the forms. "Balance your stance, Shimura. Let the blade become an extension of your will," he urged, his tone firm yet compassionate.

As the training progressed, Shimura felt the weight of the katana in his hand, the energy coursing through his veins as he channeled the teachings of his ancestor. Sweat beaded on his brow, but he pressed on, his determination unwavering.

The montage continued with scenes of sparring, Shimura facing off against phantom opponents conjured by his ancestor's magic. Each clash of blades was a test of skill and resolve, a testament to the bond between student and mentor.

Through the trials and tribulations of the training, Shimura's confidence grew, his movements becoming more fluid, more instinctual. With each passing moment, he felt himself drawing closer to the pinnacle of mastery.

Shimura opened his eyes, it had felt like weeks but no, the boat was ready for their departure and he marveled at the ability to train so intensely in such a small amount of time, though, he wondered if it would assist his physical self, but perhaps that wasn't the point, perhaps it was training of the mind, steeling himself, he boarded the small craft and stayed still, he was not a boat man.

Once they reached their location, he peered around. "Can we swim that distance?" he says outloud.

Spoiler
    Show

Miromoto Shimura
    Level 7 Init 3, HP 61/61, Speed 30
    Fort +9 Ref +5 Will +6

Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +4
    Special

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

On the boat there...

"The ancestors shared a prophecy with me on the beach, friends. The words are cryptic, but perhaps they may make sense to you..?" The shaman then quietly intoned the words that were passed on to her.

Spoiler: Ancient Sudokugan Secrets!
    Show

Hexagram 24 - Return (Fu):
    Within the veiled shadows, the samurai clan stands on the precipice, contemplating entry into the realm beyond. Like a river winding back to its source, consider a retreat. In the quiet return lies the strength to face the impending darkness.

Changing Lines:
    6 at the beginning:
    Before plunging into the abyss, purify intent. A distorted purpose attracts unseen malevolence. Step back, cleanse the spirit, and sharpen the blade of righteousness.

9 at the third place:
    The gateway to shadows calls, but tread carefully. A strategic withdrawal preserves strength for the shadowed dance. Wisdom lies in the art of stepping back.

Advisory Message:
    In the pursuit of hidden realms, cling to the essence of Bushido. True triumph rests in the convergence of spirit and blade. Retreat not as surrender but as a silent return to the core. As the moon waxes and wanes, let your actions mirror the rhythm. Be steadfast, yet supple, navigating the shadows with the clarity of a still pond reflecting the elusive moon.

At the cavern maw...

"EEP! Shimenawa! We must be careful...they keep evil spirits out! Or in! OOK! Ohhh, yesyesyes, we MUST be careful!" Ahalyā gestured towards the weathered ropes on the cliffs. All the while, her monkey mind whirled. Ohhhhhh! Is THIS the Abyss you warned me about, o ancestors? Is this where we must pause and purify before entering? To prepare or find another way in? It is dark -- but so soon? So focused on her jumbled thoughts, Ahalyā was unable to tell if there were more concrete dangers in the waters of low tide.

A grumbling Raksha meanwhile tried to sniff out anything off or odd besides the salty air...

(1d20+4)[24] Survival/track (Scent)

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show

Ahalyā
    F CG Vanara Shaman, Level 7, Init 2, HP 35/45, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, Fort 7, Ref 8, Will 14, Base Attack Bonus 5
    (weapon finesse in play) Unarmed Strike +7 (1d6-1, x2)
    MW Sickle +8 (1d6-1, x2)
    Least Crystal of Adaptation Leather Armor +1 (+3 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 16
    Condition Endure Elements (from Least Crystal of Adaptation)
    Low-Light Vision

28. - Top - End - #388

Leylek merely shakes his head with his ever-present scowl deepening for a heartbeat as the warnings of the spirits are relayed. He understands the words, of course, even those he would have found the most strange and arcane back in his first days here. But the message, as a whole, makes him feel, once again, a stranger in a strange land of strange customs, more than he felt so in quite a long time.

The island presenting itself alongside the more practical concerns of finding a safe approach comes as a veritable relief afterwards, foreboding as its mists and rocks may be. That is going to change now. he responds flatly to Ono's comment regarding birds, before he'd turn to measure up the waters and the shore once more. But I have to agree with Mistress Ahalyā. This is no good place,nor an easy one, not even for those flighted. And while a strong man should be able to swim ashore, rocky waters are treacherous. the sickening crack of timber breaking on stone, easy to discern even against the loud winds and the calls of his own, struggling in the air above to stay close and stay up… That is nothing he will easily forget. A small boat could be helpful, or barring that, something light but sturdy. he glances back at Ono over a shoulder. My people would sometimes use goat hides, filled with air like bladders to cross rivers. And one could perhaps make do with a barrel or a plank, I believe. The shipwrecked find comfort in such, and all too often, after all.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Ono looks around the small boat, where the lot of you and his crew take a good chunk of space. He nods towards some of the fishing baskets.
    You can borrow two of those, that's the closest thing to a floater we could get.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Baskets: two baskets that float, cannot support the ful weight of a medium creature but may be used as buoy giving a +4 circumstance bonus to swim checks.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

---------------Regarding the divination-----------------

Onka thinks about the divination a bit but needs to shake his head in the end.

24, 9, 6? I don't know, it has a lot of imagery that seem to correspond to us, but I'm not sure.

---------------The island------------

Onka looks into the waters below, he was happy that he apparently didn't suffer from seasickness on the small and fast vessel but swimming didn't seemed like such a great thing.

But Alhalya didn't mention that the waters were dangerous and the Shimenawa helped to ease Onka in a sense of security because it reminded him of home.

The dancer thankfully accepted on of the baskets as a swimming help and after steeling himself he gave his best to swim towards the dark cave mound. Retreat was not an option at this time, he thought.

Show
    ZIF if you translate the numbers into letters?
    Swimming check: (1d20+5)[22]+1 and +4 for the swimming help.

Leylek could probably bring the swimming helps back so everyone can enjoy they're benefit?