New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1363
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXII: The scientific method at work!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Mr. Dog? I think he is the Knight of the Hunt who survived the attack on the Mopey Tortoise, but I didn't get his name.
    Norville. It's a reference to the character of Shaggy on Scooby-Doo.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devlerbat View Post
    I would have to spend more time digging then I honestly care for to say for sure, but I am pretty sure the Heterodynes chased outside church influence out with one of them building a church to himself as part of a bet with a pope or archbishop.
    Here it is. Prince Vadim of Sturmhalten and the Heterodyne of the time made a wager during an argument, that the Heterodyne couldn't get a cathedral built in Mechanicsburg and if he could Vadim would eat his hat. So the Red Cathedral gets built and they start doing the whole blood sacrifice stuff. No mention of prior church involvement, except an implication that no church wanted to set foot in Mechanicsburg or try to establish holy grounds there.

I don't think it's ever specified what is worshipped in the Red Cathedral, but I don't think it's one of the 7+ flavours of Christianity that's running around Europa. Based on the dark rites, the demonic statues, the heterodyne trilobyte being used in place of any religious symbols, the talk of keeping 3 dimensional reality safe and so on I think the cathedral worships the Heterodynes and their terrible arts as some sort of barrier between eldritch horrors and mortal reality.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Here it is. Prince Vadim of Sturmhalten and the Heterodyne of the time made a wager during an argument, that the Heterodyne couldn't get a cathedral built in Mechanicsburg and if he could Vadim would eat his hat. So the Red Cathedral gets built and they start doing the whole blood sacrifice stuff. No mention of prior church involvement, except an implication that no church wanted to set foot in Mechanicsburg or try to establish holy grounds there.

I don't think it's ever specified what is worshipped in the Red Cathedral, but I don't think it's one of the 7+ flavours of Christianity that's running around Europa. Based on the dark rites, the demonic statues, the heterodyne trilobyte being used in place of any religious symbols, the talk of keeping 3 dimensional reality safe and so on I think the cathedral worships the Heterodynes and their terrible arts as some sort of barrier between eldritch horrors and mortal reality.
    It was also where the key to the Monster's Guild chose to hide itself as it's the one place the Castle can't see or reach.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Colossus in the Playground

Old Man Death is still the best arc ever.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Old Man Death is still the best arc ever.
    I think my personal favorite was The Infamous Falling Machine, but this one was great as well.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

6. - Top - End - #1146

Norville better hope that none of Krosp's bears are around... they wouldn't appreciate him snarling at their little master.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #1147

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Norville better hope that none of Krosp's bears are around... they wouldn't appreciate him snarling at their little master.
    "This bear does not like yappy little dogs".

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ogre in the Playground

I absolutely hate that Tarvek and Gil came in at the same time, side by side and Agatha hugged both of them together. If you don't want her to pick one, draw a different scene. It reeks of tease.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Dwarf in the Playground

..you.. do realise that there are different ways to live a live, right? The only qualifications should be to hurt no-one, then to seek happiness. Both are fullfilled here. (It does not count as "hurting someone" if someone says "I feel disturbed by your happiness. Change that.")

I mean, you write that, if she does not pick only one, the scene should be different. That is your critique. But how would you change it?

Personally, i found the scene beautifull. A rare Moment of Peace for three people who are good for each other on so many levels.
    Huckster-Avatar by Mehoaido from DeviantArt. And yes, the cat is called "Salem".

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, it's consistent with the way she always refused to explicitly pick one over the other, doesn't try to hide her affection to both of them, and shuts them down when they're getting jealous or possessive. Gil and Tarvek even teased each other about it when they explored the Heterodyne harem chambers.

That page was a brief moment of peace, and companionship, and trust, and love in their hectic lives, and it was beautiful. :)
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-02-28 at 08:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1151

SamuraiGuy

That first panel shot serves to remind us that Agatha is still a young woman. She's The Heterodyne, with all that implies; one of the most powerful Sparks in existence and a budding Queen; and the daughter of the Other and embedded deeply in the politics of Europa.

But first and foremost, a young woman who likes to tinker with clanks and has two young men she loves. If she was not powerful (both intrinsically and by title), this would make a fine comic opera by Gilbert & Sullivan.

Oh and my goodness what a beautiful young woman she is, too. Those eyes .... swoons

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    If she was not powerful (both intrinsically and by title), this would make a fine comic opera by Gilbert & Sullivan.
    Look, the comic's not over yet, there's still time for the entire plot to be resolved by some expertly-applied legal technicality and a brief but memorable full-chorus finale!

13. - Top - End - #1153

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaFlipp View Post
    Look, the comic's not over yet, there's still time for the entire plot to be resolved by some expertly-applied legal technicality and a brief but memorable full-chorus finale!
    We need to start writing this!

I'm seeing Tarvek as the tenor and Gil as a baritone so they can do duets together.
    Agatha pretty much has to be a soprano lead. Zeetha is an alto, though.
    Klaus is a rumbling bass, full of menace.
    Krosp is a trouser role, have an alto sing him as a high tenor.
    All Jagers except Higgs are basses. We can write the Jagers as the chorus commenting on the foibles of the lead parts.
    Tweedle we cast a baritone and have him sing falsetto lines. The falsity, the strain of always faking it, is conveyed by his false voice.
    Higgs we need a tenor for the duets with Zeetha.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    I absolutely hate that Tarvek and Gil came in at the same time, side by side and Agatha hugged both of them together. If you don't want her to pick one, draw a different scene. It reeks of tease.
    Bah, the questionn isn't 'which is Agatha going to choose', the question is 'are Gil and Tarvek ever going to admit that they want to frot with each other'. Also whether the marriage is going to be bigamous or an official triad, but that's by far the less important question.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm also not convinced that we won't see a political marriage between Gil and Tarvek to strengthen their claims to the Storm King's throne. Although honestly the only reason Tweedle has a strong position is probably how few people know that Gil is a descendant.

Actually has that been brought up in-comic? It's been foreshadowed, including Gil's choice of weapon and the implication that his titles aren't limited to (acting) Baron Wulfenbach and Prince of Skifander, but I think it's only been officially stated in the GURPS book.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm also not convinced that we won't see a political marriage between Gil and Tarvek to strengthen their claims to the Storm King's throne. Although honestly the only reason Tweedle has a strong position is probably how few people know that Gil is a descendant.

Actually has that been brought up in-comic? It's been foreshadowed, including Gil's choice of weapon and the implication that his titles aren't limited to (acting) Baron Wulfenbach and Prince of Skifander, but I think it's only been officially stated in the GURPS book.
    Wait, Gil is a What?
    No, I don't remember it being brought up. Although the comic is such a long-lived convoluted mess that I may have forgotten it (along with half the characters and entire storylines. My recent reread of part of the archives was quite the rediscovery ^^)

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    Wait, Gil is a What?
    No, I don't remember it being brought up. Although the comic is such a long-lived convoluted mess that I may have forgotten it (along with half the characters and entire storylines. My recent reread of part of the archives was quite the rediscovery ^^)
    Yeah, the GURPS book brings it up, and mentions that it is very unknown. As in it's not even certain that Klaus knows it. I suspect it's one of the reasons said book was delayed so long, alongside information on England I believe the Foglios wanted to be a surprise.

But I really couldn't remember if it had been stated in the comic, hence the spoiler tags.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Yeah, the GURPS book brings it up, and mentions that it is very unknown. As in it's not even certain that Klaus knows it. I suspect it's one of the reasons said book was delayed so long, alongside information on England I believe the Foglios wanted to be a surprise.

But I really couldn't remember if it had been stated in the comic, hence the spoiler tags.
    The Muse of Relationships states Martellus is a 'distant third' to claim the Storm King title, and back at the ball https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20200729 tells Gil they were made to 'advise the Storm King.. and would be happy to advise you.' So it's been alluded to, and in a fashion that is not terribly subtle although Gil was probably too busy worrying about who was currently doing better at courting Agatha to notice it.

18. - Top - End - #1158

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    The Muse of Relationships states Martellus is a 'distant third' to claim the Storm King title, and back at the ball https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20200729 tells Gil they were made to 'advise the Storm King.. and would be happy to advise you.' So it's been alluded to, and in a fashion that is not terribly subtle although Gil was probably too busy worrying about who was currently doing better at courting Agatha to notice it.
    The Storm King needs to wed The Heterodyne to bring back the old stories.

One possible path is that Agatha will realize that whoever she chooses between Gil and Tarvek will become Emperor, and that the masses are unlikely to accept "both of them!" as an answer, so she'll have to marry the one she thinks will make the best Storm King, and keep the other one on as a boy-toy (presumably with the consent of the ruler).

19. - Top - End - #1159

Boris does refer to Gil as "Your Highness" when the latter takes charge of the Empire, but that could be a reference to the Storm King linage, OR that his mother is Queen of Skifander.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Troll in the Playground

I'm seeing Tarvek as the tenor and Gil as a baritone so they can do duets together.
    All Jagers except Higgs are basses. We can write the Jagers as the chorus commenting on the foibles of the lead parts.
    Tweedle we cast a baritone and have him sing falsetto lines. The falsity, the strain of always faking it, is conveyed by his false voice.
    I can very much see this. Some scenes like the battle between Agatha and Klaus at Sturmhalten would be so natural as an opera. Frankly, the scope and grandeur of the story fits perfectly.

As for Tweedle singing in falsetto, it reminds me of Prince Charming from Shrek 2.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

21. - Top - End - #1161

Regardless of lineage, Gil is a Storm King, he demonstrated it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think Tarja Turunen of Nightwish fame would be a great Agatha.

I'm guessing the muses should be very, very light sopranos.

23. - Top - End - #1163

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Patterner View Post
    I think Tarja Turunen of Nightwish fame would be a great Agatha.

I'm guessing the muses should be very, very light sopranos.
    That's the right ballpark.

Maybe Florence Welch for Zeetha, I think she's got Warrior Princess Lungs.

Renee Fleming for Grandmother Sturmvarius.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ogre in the Playground

New to the comic.

Did a binge read-through, then started reading the dailies last week.

I was struck by how different the color/lighting looked in the recent dailies...I spun back a few and it doesn't seem like there was a recent change...but did something new happen? Change in how the colorist colors and lights? A little more "polish" to the look?

Or is it just me, and maybe perception is off because of the bingeing through over a decade of strips in a week?

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    There may have been some stylistic drift over the years, but I think a lot of the color shifts are deliberate and reflect Agatha's state of mind and perception of the world.
    The closeup of the faces in the most recent strip really seemed to pop and look a little more 3D...hard to explain how it looks differently to me...

- M

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    There may have been some stylistic drift over the years, but I think a lot of the color shifts are deliberate and reflect Agatha's state of mind and perception of the world.
    The closeup of the faces in the most recent strip really seemed to pop and look a little more 3D...hard to explain how it looks differently to me...lighting style, maybe? And it is really not the pencils, but the color (so not Foglio impacted).

- M

27. - Top - End - #1167

SamuraiGuy

So today we get an advertisement? Disappointing.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

OK people, time for guesses! Where has Krosp ended up?

1) Skifander
    2) Castle Heterodyne Fun Sized Mobile Agony and Death Dispensers scratch post and oil litter room
    3) The dark future of Othar's Twitter
    4) Past, Mechanicsburg six seconds before The Other attacks
    5) Mars (without a rowboat)
    6) The Awful Tower seraglio
    7) Castle Wulfenbach, central vault, black-level item storage
    8) The Queen's Henge
    9) In the buoyancy chamber of the corrupted Song Keeper
    10) To his poppa in another dimension

Feel free to add more
    Post, post, post, post an amusing and insightful comment!

29. - Top - End - #1169

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HeeJay View Post

1) Skifander
    2) Castle Heterodyne Fun Sized Mobile Agony and Death Dispensers scratch post and oil litter room
    8) The Queen's Henge

Feel free to add more
    Othar and Thotep were working on devices to help with the investigation / freeing of Mechanicsburg. I think Krosp and Norville are inside the time stop, and Agatha is going to have to save them along with everyone else.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by HeeJay View Post

1) Skifander
    8) The Queen's Henge

Feel free to add more
    11) Inside a machine being powered by Krosp and Norville's fighting of one another.