Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron: Entrance to Adventure [IC]

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: I forgot Micheal was a Monk, and thus, can attack unarmed even with his hands full of net. If that re-do is still an option, I'd like it now

The situation escalated. I will explain later. I'm going to try to see if I can cover the rampaging brute in a net.

With that, Micheal does one, single 30 footmove action forward if he can't charge. Then he bellows at Noname to get his attention.

If he can charge, he charges Noname, and does an unarmed (non-lethal) attack, with a Stunning Fist.

Spoiler
    Show

"Attack roll" - (1d20+3)[14]
    "Damage roll" - (1d6+2)[8]
    Stunning Fist DC: Fort save DC 15.

Also, what is your opinion on Monks having their unarmed strikes enchanted? And what would you think of Micheal taking Mithral Body later on? I'm aiming for the Argent Fist PrC.

Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Jinna

"Hey! —"idiot thing doesn't have a name, what am I supposed to call it?—"Noname!" she finishes, finally using the stupid nickname it had around its neck. Her brain scrambles for words it'll understand. "The enemy is fleeing or surrendering! Stand down!" She runs after the warforged.

Spoiler
    Show
    Blast, he ran out of Close range. Double move, in pretty much a straight line—not within Noname's melee range, though.

I'm not rolling Diplomacy checks because Diplomacy is technically an action, but if you'd like them, go ahead and roll; her modifier is +14.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by Maurkov View Post
    Aelowim

"What will you pay for an exclusive?" He watches Cymran over the rim of his wine glass.

Cymran returns the grin, "That depend on how much you can give me that is exclusive. Other merchants have already told their story, and I am thinking your is going to be much the same. I figure your confirmation of details is worth paying for your lunch." He said with a nod toward Aelowim's fish. "If you have something no one else has that can truly shed some light on the pirates activities. Well then that is worth a bit more."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Noname's copious armor deflects Michael's jump side kick while his warblade training allows him to blend with and negate John's infusion. When Jinna speaks he snaps to attention, but immediately drops back into a fighting stance. Still speaking without inflection, "I am under attack." Noname divides his attention between assailants and holds his attack.

The dying sailor responds to Limna's potion. His wounds close and his bones knit. The sounds of healing are nearly as nausiating as the wounding. The sailor coughs up about a pint of blood and then his eyes flutter open.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yup, unless the corpses really pile up, they don't affect movement (which would prevent a charge). A monk's unarmed attacks count as weapons or natural weapons for the purposes of spells and feats. You can benefit from either Magic Weapon or Magic Fang. Unlike your armor plating and your slam attack, your unarmed strike can't be made into a permanent magic weapon, though you would benefit from Magic Fang + Permanency.

John, if you have ranks, roll your knowledge arcana.

Somebody with ToB help me out. I don't understand what a warblade has to do to recover his maneuver. He used Moment of Perfect Mind during John's turn, so I think that immediate action counts as his swift action for this round. So he can't recover it until he spends his swift action on his following turn?

Code:
    A~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+.
    B~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+.
    C~++++++++++++++++++.
    D~+.......G..........
    E^+..J..N............
    F^+....M.########....
    G^+......#########...
    H^+......##########..
    I^+......############
    J^+..x...#
    K^+x.S...#
    L^+..SL..#
    M^+......#
    N^+......#
    O^+......#
    P^+......##
    Q^+.......+
    R^+......##
    Init order

Michael 21 29/29[8 non-lethal]
    John 21
    Limna 20
    Sailors 11
    Jinna 4
    Noname 3

Oops. Haven't made that rolling thread yet. MoPM - (1d20+9)[24]
    Last edited by Maurkov; 2008-05-15 at 01:02 PM.
    Business Trip 6/7 - 6/18. I'll try to keep up.
    Gwydr

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Limna

Limna helps the healed sailor up, tries not to wince at the blood coming out of his mouth and doing her best to keep him from turning towards the fight with Noname.

Are you all right? Oh my gods, you came close. Can you walk?

Half-dragging him along, she brings her close to the the one that's knocked out. ((BTW, did I manage to stir him?)

You have got to get out of here. Your friends are all gone. Here, help me get your friend up. Once both of them are on their feet, Limna urges them on.

Get out of here, guys. Think twice before you start horse-playing with Warforged again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what you would have me roll to get rid of those two... I figure they're pretty confused and easy to handle...

bluff - (1d20+8)[11]
    diplomacy - (1d20+5)[14]

When they get the picture and leave, Limna turns to the battle.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Arcana - (1d20+10)[29]

Like I said, try a Battlefist. It can be enhanced like a normal weapon, and confers it's benefits to all of a monk's unarmed strikes, even the ones made with a different part of the body(my flavor justification for that is that it's more like a regular magical gauntlet that enhances the user's body as a weapon than an attached weapon like an Armblade or Armbow).

To recover maneuvers, a warblade must spend a swift action and a standard action to either make a regular attack(as opposed to a standard action maneuver or a full attack) or do nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Jinna

"So I see. Everybody just lower the weapons and stop." She gives an indiscriminate glare to the trio of combatants before her, which quickly focuses on anybody foolish enoughnot to listen.

Spoiler
    Show
    Should anybody visibly attack, Jinna will use Suggestion (with Greater Psionic Endowment, DC 18) to get them to stop. Unfortunately, she goes after everybody else, so she won't be able to stop them beforehand; I might just post again if I have to take the action.

8. - Top - End - #188

Micheal

Micheal planned on throwing the net this round, but instead he heeds Jinnas advice. Full-Round action of fighting defensively, -4 to attack, +2 AC.

EDIT: Micheal lowers the net, but does not drop it. He spends a full round action on Total Defense, giving him +4 to AC.
    Last edited by Karaswanton; 2008-05-16 at 08:42 AM.
    Currently playing as:

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

The human who joined in drops into a low crouch and moves his mace into a guard position that will let him hit Noname's greatsword out of and path it takes towards him as he steps slowly to surround him with Michael; complying literally with Jinna's demand since the weapon is slightly closer to the ground. His eyes flick briefly towards Michael's holy symbol, and he says in dawning comprehension(which is nonetheless completely wrong) "This isn't even close to what it looks like, is it?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    5' step to the left on the map to flank with Michael, then Total Defensing for +4 dodge to AC.
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.

10. - Top - End - #190

"Whatever." He turns his chair so that he can watch the water while he tells the tale. "We were on our way back from Moonwatch. Short runs aren't very profitable for independents, but if you've got a company making the arrangements on both ends you can be there in five days. Anyway, it's the third day and we're just leaving sight of the western shore. There's a good wind from the north. I think maybe we'll get in early. Then the boat stops, hard enough to knock down some of the experienced sailors.

"You writing this down?"
    Gwydr

11. - Top - End - #191

"Absolutely," the fake reporter replied. Cymran pulls a scroll case out from an unseen location under the table. Popping open the case he pulls out a piece of parchment, ink, and an ink pen.

"Moonwatch.... Three days... Western shore... I assume the sudden stop wasn't caused by poor navigation driving you up into a reef?" He prompted the merchant to continue.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: I am so glad I put ink and parchment on my character sheet

12. - Top - End - #192

As Cymran forms the question, Naberius intercedes*, clamping shut the binder's throat. The waiter arrives with wine to relieve the sputtering, red-faced man.

Once Cymran recovers, Aelowim continues. "Over the next two hours we plumbed the depths (at least 250') and jiggered the sails. With as much sail as the masts could take, the ship didn't budge. I was getting ready to throw some men overboard to check the hull when the pirates showed up.

"They came straight to us. The ship was Q'barran; high decks and too narrow to carry much cargo. They signaled for my surrender, and I did."
    Aelowim frowns.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    *I really know nothing about binders, but if you're 'sposed to have a diplomacy bonus, that question does not pass your lips.

---

Noname steps back (D6), and with a flourish sheaths his sword. Of course a warforged is never unarmed.

Limna isn't able to wake the unconscious sailor, but the one she healed has enough strength to drag that one by the armpits. They head south.

@John
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's something about Noname's behavior that tickles a memory, something you read in a Cannith history of the development of the warforged. Long before they figured out how to make them self aware, they were training them for war as intelligent golemns. This one seems to have lost his higher functions and has reverted into a pure fighting construct. It's fortunate (though baffling) that that girl was able to talk him down. In this state he would only respond to threats and to the chain of command.
    Last edited by Maurkov; 2008-05-16 at 04:37 PM.
    Gwydr

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

John lets out a low whistle when he realizes what's wrong with Noname. "How the khyber did he lose his self-awareness?" he asks Jinna. "If he...well, I guess he's an it now, poor bastard...considers you it's commanding officer, you might want to take it to the Canniths for repairs. I don't know if they can fix him, though...might require either a Raise Dead spell or some really heavy-duty necromancy, but it could just be that his soul is disconnected from his mind instead...I might be able to fix that myself." He addresses the...undead construct? "Unit designated Noname, will you submit to an attempt to repair your self-awareness functions?"

14. - Top - End - #194

Spoiler
    Show

He does get an aid diplomacy, and choking him off before he puts his foot in his mouth works for me.

As his throat closes Naberius says in his mind, "Not wise."

Once Cymran is over the surpirse he fires back, "You could have just said so!" He grabs the wine from the waiter.

"Yes, but where is the experience in that? I haven't had a host choke on me in a awhile.... Ahhh wine..." The vestige gets distracted by the favor. "You should have order the fish it looks good."

Cymran's body recovers and he listens to the rest of the story. "Surrender does seem to be the wisest course of action so far. The stopping sounds magical in nature, did you have anyone with magical talent on board? Also what was the makeup of the pirate crew and what did they take?"

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Limna

Limna walks over to the group, listening to John's questions and never taking her eyes off Noname.

Say, does anyone else think that we should do anything about those corpses before the authorities show up?

16. - Top - End - #196

Micheal

No, they are the authorities for a reason. The incident must be reported, and processed by the courts.
    Last edited by Karaswanton; 2008-05-18 at 12:10 AM.
    Currently playing as:

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

"What cor...oh. ****." John says, eyes widening a bit as he notices the bodies. He looks in disbelief at Michael. "Um...do you not understand that symbol you're wearing? Most people who wear it would just murder him with a lot less justification than you have."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Limna

Perplexed, Limna walks up to John.

Hi there, by the way, my name is Limna. Can you really do something about him? she asks, pointing at Noname. I tried talking to him earlier, but he was already acting weird a few hours ago. I have a bit of experience with Warforged myself, and had never see one act so... rigidly.

19. - Top - End - #199

It starts to rain again.

"Unit designated Noname, will you submit to an attempt to repair your self-awareness functions?"

"No.... Presumed enemy."
    Gwydr

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Limna

At Noname's reply, Limna looks at him and takes a step forward.

How about me, Noname? It's me, Limna. We met earlier today, remember? Would you allow me to repair you? Jinna is my fr... er, she and I are in the same unit as you.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

John opens his mouth to say something rude to answer Limna's question, but thinks better of it when she demonstrates that she was, in fact, listening. "To be honest, I have no idea if he can be fixed, or if we'd be able to do it even if it's possible. Maybe the Canniths could help him if we can't...but if the guards bother to show up, they'll probably kill him as soon as they hear 'insane warforged' if someone doesn't bribe them."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Jinna

Well, people have stopped sticking sharp implements in one another. That's a plus. She avoids sighing in relief. "If one of you can help, we may as well try to do it. I'm not too keen on covering up a murder, but he's right, the guards don't much care for forged." She glances to Limna and then back to Noname.

"Noname," she addresses him levelly, "this man is a freelance mercenary. Should he agree to do a job for us, he should no longer be considered an enemy. Understood?"

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

John blinks. A Detect Thoughts spell wouldn't have told her my job unless she was using it on me before I saw Noname... "I see you've heard of me. I should have thought to tell him my job myself. Of course, I'm described as an adventurer more often, but I've always been of the opinion that those are just different words for the same profession."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    He can't beat Jinna's Bluff check even on a natural 20, so I won't roll.

24. - Top - End - #204

From the corner of the causeway, you can see guardsmen mobilizing to the south. The ones in front have tower shields. They'll reach you in a minute or less.

"Understood. Catagory: Neutral. Martial. Spellcaster."
    ---

Aelowim nods. "We had a cleric of The Host with us. He said that the hull was radiating conjuration magic but that there was nothing he could do about it.

"I saw a lot of hobgoblins staring down at us. Only two humans came aboard, though. They were Audairan by the look of them. Expendible, I guess. They could barely navigate a gang plank. They were pretty disappointed looking through our manifests. We had some choice loot for pirates on the way to Moonwatch-- military gear of all sorts. On the way back, though, I was carrying fifteen tons of fruit. (Sharn can't feed itself, you know.) They took a few crates of that, the grog, some coin. Rope and canvas, and probably most expensive to replace, they took all my charts and maps.

"Any other questions I might answer? I could use some dessert."
    Gwydr

25. - Top - End - #205

With a nod Cymran waves the waiter over so Aelowin can order his dessert, while Cymran writes down the details. Once the order is placed he asks, "How often do you travel that route? And how many people know about your trips?"

26. - Top - End - #206

Aelowim traces his spoon through the crushed raspberries adorning his baked pear, drawing a heavy sigh from Naberius.

"The Concern is a tiny outfit. Breyland has a lot more leverage over us than they do over Lyrander (or Orien), so they can dictate whatever bizarre security arrangements they can dream up. More than once I've received my itinerary half a league out of port. Sealed cargo. I've taken Dark Lanterns... places.

"Well, the trip to Moonwatch wasn't that special and the return wasn't special at all. I couldn't tell you who all knew about it since that's all handled by the office. I believe my ship was a target of opportunity, and as it turned out, a poor one."
    Gwydr

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

John puts his mace away, pulls the hood of his cloak up, and pulls the rest of the cloak around him. He doesn't seem to have noticed the guards mobilizing, and in fact seems to have only just now realized it's started raining again.
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-05-20 at 03:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208

Micheal

The guards may not care much for our kind, but that doesn't change the circumstances.

Spoiler
    Show

Erp. Paladin=party-pooper.
    Currently playing as:

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wha- yes it does!" John shouts. "They're going to kill him if we don't get him out of here before they show up, you idiot! How the **** does that not change the circumstances?! Did you come here from Karrnath or something? 'Cause here in Breland, we don't kill everyone we can so that the necromancers can make more zombies."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry that John's such a ****. But paladin also means someone who tries to save lives whenever possible.
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-05-21 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Appology and zombie comment

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Limna

Limna watches the argument between John and Michael with wide eyes. Her glance keeps darting back to Noname, who for all practical intents and purposes appears to be just standing there. Finally, she interrupts by standing right in front of John.

I see with delight that we share our concern for the welfare of Warforged, but unless you can stop arguing with Michael about our course of action, we are all going to have a lot to answer for, and I for one would rather not.

So can it.

Any ideas on how to fix him?
    she says, pointing at Noname. Her glance shifts briefly to Jinna, as if looking for reassurance or support.

Limna walks up to Noname slowly, deliberately, making slow movements and looking at him straight in the eyes. Noname, please let me inspect you more closely. I want to help you.