New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Codename: Swampgas, Like Frostburn, but with Swamps

I'm working on two new monsters, one of which doesn't specifically apply, and perhaps wouldn't be in it. First, a giant cockroach, which is mainly an entry for the monster competition, but could apply here. Then, actually made for this, I've got the Parchplant, which sucks up all the water around it and in an interesting Sandstorm crossover deals desiccation touch damage. Also has Parchseeds, an item. You throw it into the ground and a radius around you dries up, although eventually a parchplant will grow.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

New creature added in the fungal tome, I need comments and suggestion. I plan to make another one or two fungal creatures before starting to create the spells.

Characters played:
    Koros (Nation of the Dead) < - adopt this psicopatic as your avatar!!!
    Bones (Beginner's Dungeon Crawl)

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

I warned you. Now you have to go read it.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

So I've got 2 creatures coming. Parchplant and Rot Golem. I should have them up pretty soon.

Alriiight

Parchplant
    Medium Plant
    HD 9d8 +27 (68 HP)
    Speed: -
    Init: +1
    AC 16; touch 11; flat-footed 15
    (+1 dex, +5 natural)
    BAB +6; Grp +6
    Attack +6 (touch) Parching Touch (2d6 desiccation + dehydration)
    Full-Attack +6/+1 (touch) Parching Touch (2d6 desiccation + dehydration)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks Parching Touch
    Special Qualities Bone-dry Surroundings, Low-light vision, Plant Traits
    Saves Fort +9 Ref +4 Will +5
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 12, Con 16, Int -, Wis 14, Cha 10
    Skills
    Feats
    Environment Wet areas
    Organization solitary, Grove (2-12)
    CR: 6
    Treasure Normal +2d10 Parchseeds
    Alignment Always Neutral
    Advancement 10-15 (Medium) 16-21 (Large)

Before you is an unusual plant. Its immediate surroundings are completely waterless, despite being in a particularly wet locale. The plant itself looks rather dry and wilted, slightly tinted brown and yellow, and listing to the side. Several small tan seeds hang on drooping vines.

The Parchplant remains unknown to those who have tried to research its mysterious nature. It completely dries up its surroundings immediately, sucking up all moisture. Nobody is sure where this moisture goes, as the plant seems perpetually underwatered regardless of how much water it is given. It will attack anything that comes nearby with unexpected movement, quite quick despite its limp appearance. The Parchseeds that dangle from it are often sold to those who plan to bushwhack into a Murk environment, as they are critically useful in certain situations.

Parching Touch: The surface of the Parchplant has the power to draw in excessive amounts of moisture into itself rapidly, and will grab any passing creature in an attempt to drain the liquids from its very body. The touch of the Parchplant deals 2d6 desiccation damage, and requires a fortitude save equal to the total desiccation damage currently suffered from or be dehydrated.

Bone-dry Surroundings: The Parchplant sucks dry it’s surroundings, leaving it in a 15 ft. radius of complete dryness. There will be no bogs or pools of water within this area, and any walking on it with uncovered feet takes 1 desiccation damage per round, or 2 if a larger body surface area is exposed to the ground.

[hr]
    Parchseed: These unusual small seeds are a great boon to any traveler in the murk. When dropped into the ground, they immediately take root and begin to suck up water. After 1d4 rounds, a 10 ft. area surrounding the dropped seed will be completely dry of liquid, as if under the Bone-Dry Surroundings effect.

[hr]
    Rot Golem
    Large Construct
    HD 12d10 +30 (96 HP)
    Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Init: +1
    AC 19; touch 11; flat-footed 18
    (+1 dex, +8 natural)
    BAB +9; Grp +18
    Attack Slam +14 (1d10 + 6 + disease)
    Full-Attack 2 Slams +14/+9 (1d10 + 6 + disease)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
    Special Attacks Bogrot, Corpse Explosion
    Special Qualities Construct Traits, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to magic, low-light vision, DR 10/magic, Nauseating Appearance
    Saves Fort +4 Ref +5 Will +2
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 6, Cha 14
    Skills
    Feats
    Environment
    Organization Solitary
    CR: 8
    Treasure Normal
    Alignment Always Neutral
    Advancement 13-19 (Large) 20-26 (Huge)

The being before you appears to have once been some kind of plant life, possibly one plant, possibly many, but you can see what it now is: a hulking collection of rotting matter, striding slowly towards you. As the large and vaguely humanoid shape approaches you can see that some of the materials within it were once living creatures and not plants, and you can feel bile rising in your throat.

Bogrot: Rot Golem’s carry the disease Bogrot within themselves. Attacks by a Rot Golem require a fortitude save to avoid contracting the disease.
    Bogrot:
    1d4 days incubation, DC 18, 1d6 con

Immunity to Magic:
    A rot golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

If an Entangle spell is cast on a rot golem, it absorbs the vines of the plants into itself to grow, permanently gaining one hit die.

The Antiplant Shell spell functions against a Rot Golem as if it were a plant creature.

Nauseating Appearance: Rot Golems’ very appearance is one of horror and disgust, which can affect the stomach of even the hardiest traveler. Any that can perceive the Rot Golem (even if this is restricted to methods other than sight) who are within 30 ft. of it must make a DC 18 Fortitude save or become nauseated. This save is charisma based.

Corpse Explosion: When destroyed, a Rot Golem explodes in a burst of horrid diseased matter. Everybody within 30 ft. of the rot golem takes 1d4 damage/HD of the golem, and must make a save vs. Bogrot at the increased DC of 10 + 1/HD of the golem.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-03-12 at 06:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

I'd say dessication damage per minute for uncovered feet, and per round for greater body surface area. But that's just me.

5. - Top - End - #245

The Parchplant is a nice concept. I'm a bit confused by his AC anyway. 21, but touch 6 and flatfooted 16? Should be touch 11 and flat footed 20. Anyway, is a bit too high compared to the rest of the monster stats.
    I'd say CR 6.

The Rot golem is good. You just need to add the construction description.
    Id' say CR 8.

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post

Immunity to Magic:
    A rot golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

If an Entangle spell is cast on a rot golem, it absorbs the vines of the plants into itself to grow, permanently gaining one hit die.

The Antiplant Shell spell functions against a Rot Golem as if it were a plant creature.
    I'm a little worried about the result of an entangle spell; someone could use it to make arbitrarily large rot golems. Furthermore entangle is a level 1 spell so it isn't that hard to pump it up. I'd suggest limiting the time that the extra hit die lasts. Maybe 1 minute/caster level (which is the usual duration of entangle) or maybe fix it as 1 hour?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Banned

If you can find the links, here are a number of mine you can add to the list. Only problem is it takes 5 minutes for each search...

Bandytwine
    Burl Tortoise
    Dampstrider
    Damu Chura
    Danket
    Dire Duck-billed Platypus
    Dripping Delugia
    Geyserbelly
    Myconid, Deathcap
    Necrospede
    Nibbleduck Swarm
    Torcrab
    Toxdra

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    If you can find the links, here are a number of mine you can add to the list. Only problem is it takes 5 minutes for each search...
    Thanks, VT! And with the wonders of modern technology, I just used Google to find them. Here's the list of links:

Bandytwine
    Burl Tortoise
    Dampstrider
    Damu Chura
    Danket
    Dire Duck-Billed Platypus
    Dripping Delugia
    Geyserbelly
    Myconid, Deathcap
    Necrospede
    Nibbleduck Swarm
    Torcrab
    Toxdra

Also, after traveling to beautiful (read: cold and windy) Spartanburg, SC, and then back home in the past three days, plus getting the flu, I'm finally around for a while. I'm probably gonna get some sleep, and then tomorrow actually get down to doing the stuff I've been meaning to do for the past two weeks.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-03-09 at 11:40 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    I'm a little worried about the result of an entangle spell; someone could use it to make arbitrarily large rot golems. Furthermore entangle is a level 1 spell so it isn't that hard to pump it up. I'd suggest limiting the time that the extra hit die lasts. Maybe 1 minute/caster level (which is the usual duration of entangle) or maybe fix it as 1 hour?
    I didn't think of that, thanks.

Also, good suggestions/error removal, I'll get that Caracol.

I'm going to update the Done list on page 5 again soon. I'll incorporate VT's monsters there.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, I've updated the Races of the Bog entry. It now includes all the Core races except half-elf, but I'm getting to that), so that's set.

I'll update the table of creatures (the one with location and CR) at some point later today to include any I've missed, plus VT's stuff if he's cool with that.

@Logman: If you get a chance, can you just delete the link to Swamp Orcs and Half-Orcs in the first post, and then change the Swamp Elves and Bog Gnomes link to read "Races of the Bog"? I just compiled everything there for simplicity's sake.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-03-10 at 08:49 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

11. - Top - End - #251

I will update the Fungal Tome soon, I swear.
    Meanwhile, I just resurrect the thread because this project must live.
    Icewalker, can you update the to-do list? Just to remind what needs to be done.

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah, I've been trying to find time for that. I can probably do it today. When I get home.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-03-12 at 10:07 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Whew, finally UPDATED again.

Nice work Caracol on single-handedly filling out the deities section.

With VT's monsters we are up to 38 out of a suggested 40, so that is awesome.

I think we need to determine what name we are using for the environment. It seems to me there are 2 that have been going around and used by different people in particular: Murk and Bog. Bog environments, Murk environments, Something of the Bog, Something of the Murk.

I suggest a vote.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

For the name, I've just been using Bog because it was the first that came to mind. I can change stuff around if people prefer something else.

In the compiled list of things done and not done, I posted a weapon special ability that you didn't put in there. It's sort of hidden in this post.

Icewalker, did you ever decide on a CR for the Mud/Muck Golem in this post? I was going to add it to the compiled list of critters, but I didn't want to without the CR.

Speaking of, I've updated the big list of swamp critters (except for VT's stuff), so I'm done with the three major things I was working on (race write-ups, class write-ups, and the compiled list of critters). Well, I'm done with them for now.

So, what else needs work? There was mention of making some domains; anyone doing that yet? I could probably put together a couple of those. I still want to make a Kermit race, but haven't worked much on it. Also, Goats sent me a creature idea a while ago, but I haven't written it up yet. Expect it soon.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

15. - Top - End - #255

I'll make a Fungus Domain with the new spells of the Fugal Tome (which aren't posted already I know...) Also, may I suggest a Disease Domain (no clue about the spells though) ?
    As soon as we have more domains I will update the deity list.

We also need some more playable races with LA+0 in my opinion (I'll make a rat like one soon)

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah, I'm going to make a list of ideas people but don't want to/aren't skilled enough to write up for other people to do.

Will include domains, for which I suggest: Disease, Fungus, Mud, as well as perhaps Rot.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

I came up with a couple of domain earlier this morning. Someone mentioned Fume or Gas or something like that a while ago, so I made that as well as a generic Swamp domain. I mostly tried to stick with Core spells, but if anyone makes the other domains, feel free to use new stuff. As always, these are open to critique and can be altered or changed.

Swamp Domain

Granted Power: You cast Cleric spells at a +1 caster level while in a Bog environment. Additionally, you gain the Great Fortitude feat as a bonus feat.

Domain Spells:
    1 – entangle
    2 – delay poison
    3 – contagion
    4 – hallucinatory terrain
    5 – find the path*
    6 – flesh to mud
    7 – creeping doom
    8 – mud to acid
    9 – shambler
    *reduced from 6th level

Fume Domain

Granted Power: You gain the Steady Stomach feat as a bonus feat. You do not have to meet any prerequisites for this feat.

Domain Spells:
    1 – obscuring mist
    2 – fog cloud
    3 – stinking cloud
    4 – solid fog
    5 – cloudkill
    6 – acid fog
    7 – waves of exhaustion
    8 – incendiary cloud
    9 – storm of vengeance

Other domains related to the Bog include: Animal; Fungus; Ooze; Pestilence; Plant; Scalykind; Slime; Spider; Trickery; and Water.

EDIT: Per suggestion, here's a Disease domain. There are very few Core spells that fit it, but I think it turned out alright.

Disease Domain

Granted Power: You are immune to natural diseases. Supernatural and magical diseases, such as mummy rot, affect you as normal.

Domain Spells:
    1 – ray of enfeeblement
    2 – contagion*
    3 – poison
    4 – blight
    5 – cloudkill
    6 – eyebite
    7 – waves of exhaustion
    8 – horrid wilting
    9 – energy drain
    *Reduced from 3rd level
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-03-14 at 05:17 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

I just finished the newborn slothpit because I got off my lazy butt. Now I have to work on the next age category.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Here, have a list of ideas that anyone can write up.

Domains:
    Mud
    Rot
    My other ideas were just done by rtg.

Spells:
    Suppress Fortitude
    Bestow Fortitude (both mess with fortitude saves)
    Rotting Touch

PrC:
    Disease Rager (barbarian class that harnesses diseases?)
    Swamp Knight (paladin/blackguard/evil cleric)
    Bogbard, or Marsh Traveler?

Creatures:
    Mushroom people of some kind ('sporelings'?) could be our other LA+0 race.
    Giant spiders/spider swarm?

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

For the giant spider, maybe a Acromantula from Harry Potter series, but that may be more of a forest creature.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Bugbear in the Playground

Figured I'd try my hand at creating a PrC. I could use some help with it, that's for sure.

Gnoll Champion
    Hit Die: d8

Requirements
    To qualify to become a Gnoll Champion, a character must fulfill the following criteria:
    Race: Gnoll
    BAB: +4
    Skills: Knowledge (Survival) 4 ranks
    Special: Must be picked by the swamp as it's chosen protector.

Class Skills:
    A Gnoll Champion's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge [Geography, Local, Nature] (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Survival (Wis).
    Skill points at each level: 4 + Intelligence modifier

Table: Gnoll Champion
    {table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Spellcasting
    | +1 | +2 | +2 | +0 | Friend of the Swamp I, Gnoll's Champion, Repel the Invader | --
    | +2 | +3 | +3 | +0 | Power of the Swamp | +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    | +3 | +3 | +3 | +1 | Friend of the Swamp II, Swamp's Champion | --
    | +4 | +4 | +4 | +1 | Lord of the Swamp | +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    | +5 | +4 | +4 | +1 | Form of the Swamp | --[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Gnoll Champions gain no proficiency with weapons, armor, or shields of any type.

Friend of the Swamp I: Gnoll Champion levels stack with ranger levels for purposes of Wild Empathy, when attempting to befriend a creature of the swamp. If he has no levels in ranger, he gains the Wild Empathy ability, with his Gnoll Champion level and any levels of Gnoll Paragon in place of ranger.

Gnoll's Champion: At first level, a Gnoll Champion may add his Gnoll Champion level to any skills used when interacting with Gnolls and other humanoid denizens of his native swamp.

Repel the Invader: A Gnoll Champion is the guardian of his swamp; if he encounters a denizen of the swamp under attack, he must immediately join in against the invaders, or lose his Gnoll Champion abilities for a number of days equal to his Gnoll Champion level.

Power of the Swamp: At level 2, the power of the swamp courses through a Gnoll Champion's very veins, sustaining him where others might fall. He gains a +2 bonus to constitution and his natural armor bonus increases by +2.

Friend of the Swamp II: A Gnoll Champion's Wild Empathy ability may now target plants with an intelligence score in his home environment (the swamp, natch) at a -5 penalty.

Lord of the Swamp: At fourth level, a Gnoll Champion may summon the creatures of the swamp to his aid. He may cast Summon Nature's Ally IV as a full-round SLA a number of times equal to his Gnoll Champion level, with a Caster Level of 5th level. At the end of its summon duration, the animals summoned by a Gnoll Champion do not disappear, but rather attack a random character that is not the Gnoll Champion.

Form of the Swamp: At fifth level, a Gnoll Champion may transform into any animal or humanoid that makes their home in his swamp once per day for a number of minutes equal to his HD, as long as the creature's hit dice are no more than the Gnoll Champion's HD. He may also take the form of an air, water, earth or other swamp-based elemental (large).
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2008-03-19 at 11:45 PM.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Heh, I was coming by to give the thread a little bump, but apparently I was beaten to it with an actual entry.

One question - is there a reason you made the PrC Gnoll-specific? The abilities are pretty cool, and I can see many of the humanoids of the swamp wanting them. Particularly, I think it would fit well with the Swamp Elves and maybe Swamp Orcs. Ooh, and Lizardfolk, even though we haven't talked about them much here. I'd almost suggest just making it Swamp Champion and take away the Race requirement, but bump up the BAB/skill requirements and add in Wild Empathy (since it works with Friend of the Swamp I and II anyway, and makes it easier if you just go ahead and say it works as normal for advancing Wild Empathy). The only other ability you'd have to change is Gnoll's Champion, and you could just change it to work with all humanoids native to the swamp.

A couple of nitpicks, also. For Lord of the Swamp, you need to add in "per day." Right now, it just seems like he can do it 8 times (2 x class level, available at 4th level) and that's it. For Form of the Swamp, maybe word it so it's based off the (most recent) rules for Wild Shape just to make it simple.

For the requirements, you might want to add some other skill to it. Maybe just have Survival 8 ranks and Knowledge (Nature) 4 ranks. It's still gonna be easy for Rangers and Druids to qualify, and keeps them from doing so until normal PrC levels.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-03-20 at 12:50 AM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'm going to write up the spells I suggested earlier once I have the time. Probably tomorrow, maybe not.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    One question - is there a reason you made the PrC Gnoll-specific?
    Not really. I just have this odd love-affair with Gnolls.

It wouldn't hurt to make the class non-race-specific, and I'll look into re-wording those powers a bit better.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Bumpybumpbumped.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Goats o Mjolnir asked me to write up a monster based on some ideas he had. Here's the mechanics for it. I don't know what the fluff or anything, but I'll add it in when he gets it to me.

Disporgin

Huge Monstrous Humanoid
    Hit Dice: 14d8 + 70 (133 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 40 feet (8 squares); swim 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 21 (+1 Dex, -2 size, +12 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 20
    Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+29
    Attack: Gore +21 (3d6+7; 19-20/x2); or with full Power Attack, gore +7 (3d6+21)
    Full Attack: Gore +19 (3d6+7; 19-20/x2) and 2 claws +17 (1d8+4) and bite +17 (2d4+4)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
    Special Attacks: Improved grab, powerful charge, sporeburst, swallow whole
    Special Qualities: Camouflage, scent, swamp movement
    Saves: Fort +9, Ref +11, Will +10
    Abilities: Str 25, Dex 14, Con 21, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 7
    Skills: Hide +2 (+14 in swampy or forested areas); Listen +6; Spot +5; Swim +15
    Feats: Improved Critical (Gore), Improved Natural Attack (Gore), Multiattack, Power Attack, Track
    Environment: Any marsh or forest.
    Organization: Solitary or pair
    Challenge Rating: 11
    Treasure: Half standard
    Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
    Advancement: By class level
    Level Adjustment:

Description

[Information]

Combat

A disporgin is usually a docile creature, but if provoked it is incredibly deadly. Usually, it begins a battle from hiding if possible, though if a threat is imminent it charges forward using its powerful charge ability. In general, it tries to severely injure any opponent quickly and use its swallow whole ability as soon as possible.

Camouflage (Ex): A disporgin and its symbiotic fungi are colored in such a way as to provide substantial hiding benefits. A disporgin gains a +12 bonus on Hide checks in swampy or forested areas.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a disporgin must hit a Large or smaller opponent with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.

Powerful Charge (Ex): When a disporgin uses the charge action and successfully hits an opponent with its gore attack, the attack deals 6d6+14 damage.

Sporeburst (Ex): The symbiotic fungi growing on a disporgin’s body give it some special combat tactics. As a swift action once per encounter, a disporgin can release a cloud of poisonous spores into the air; the spores cover a 30 foot area burst centered on the disporgin. Creatures within the area of the sporeburst must make a DC 23 Fortitude saving throw or be nauseated for 1d6+4 rounds. In addition, the burst of yellow spores grants the disporgin concealment, giving attacks against it a 20% miss chance. A disporgin is immune to the penalties of its own sporeburst ability.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A disporgin can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of Large or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 1d8+7 points of crushing damage plus 1d8+4 points of acid damage per round from the disporgin’s digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 30 points of damage to the disporgin’s digestive tract (AC 16). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. The disporgin’s gullet can hold one Large, 2 Medium, 4 Small, 16 Tiny, or 32 Diminutive or smaller creatures.

Swamp Movement (Ex): A disporgin is a natural predator of the swamps, and takes no penalty to movement due to swampy terrain (including Mucky Ground, shallow or deep bogs, or undergrowth).

Skills: A disporgin has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

I just made a picture for the IA contest and was wondering if anyone wanted to homebrew this creature since Im busy.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Cmon people, lets keep moving. Don't drop out now! I was, but I have the time, so I'm writing up a few of my ideas.

UPDATED the Done list. Looks like we are quite behind on spells (11 out of a preferred 65+) Anybody got ideas?

Bestow Fortitude
    Transmutation
    Level: Clr 2, Drd 2
    Components: S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: One creature touched
    Duration: 1 min/level
    Saving Throw: None (beneficial)
    Spell Resistance: Yes

With a touch you well up the bodily resistance of your ally, giving them the fortitude to fight off disease and other maladies. This spell gives the target a bonus to fortitude saves of +1/3 caster levels.

Material Component: A small pebble.

Suppress Fortitude
    Necromancy
    Level: Clr 2, Drd 2, Rng 2
    Components: S, M
    Duration: 1 min/level
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

With a touch you sap away the bodily resistance of your foe, submitting them to the threats of disease and other maladies. This spell gives the target a minus to fortitude saves of -1/3 caster levels.

Material Component: A speck of glass

Mud Spray
    Conjuration
    Level: Drd 0, Clr 1, Rng 1
    Components: V, S
    Range: Close (25 ft. +5 ft/2 levels)
    Target: One creature
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell sprays a small sheet of mud off the ground and into an opponents face. For this spell to function, the surroundings must be muddy. If the target fails the reflex save, it is slapped with flying mud, blinding them for 2d4 rounds or until they spend 2 full-round actions wiping it off.

Mud Spray, Greater
    Conjuration
    Level: Drd 3, Rng 3
    Components: V, S
    Range: 60 ft.
    Area: Cone-shaped burst
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex partial
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell sprays a massive sheet of mud off the ground and over a large area. For this spell to function, the surroundings must be muddy. Any in the area must make a reflex save, or be blinded for 2d6 rounds, or until they spend 2 full rounds wiping it off. If the save is made, those affected are blinded for only 1 round.

Murkstep
    Transmutation
    Level: Rng 1, Drd 2
    Components: V, S, M
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: None

This spell causes the target's stride to be followed by mud. If not in a muddy environment, every step the target takes leaves him in a 5x5 ft. square of muddy ground. If the target is walking over mud, or on mud created by the spell, his movement is not hampered, and he appears to leave no depression in the mud's surface unless he wishes.

[hr]
    Minor artifact: Galoshes of the Bog
    These big thick worn muddy boots at first appear to just be those of some old traveler. But upon magical inspection or use, they are revealed to be much more. The wearer of the Galoshes of the Bog functions as if under the effect of a Murkstep spell at all times. This can be suspended as a full round action, and restarted as a free action.

The wearer of the Galoshes of the Bog gain immediate awareness of any natural or supernatural dangers of marsh environments within 30 ft.

Lastly, the wearer can cast Find the Path on themselves 1/day out of the boots.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-03-26 at 01:05 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Mudworm
    Medium Vermin
    HD 8d8+16 (52)
    Speed 20 ft. (4 squares), 40 ft. burrow (8 squares)
    Init: +2
    AC 16; touch 16; flat-footed 14
    (+2 dex, +4 mud coat)
    BAB +6; Grp +8
    Attack Slam +8 (1d8+2)
    Full-Attack 2 Slams +8/+3 (1d8+2)
    Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks Mud Spray, Foul Stench
    Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft., Mud Coat, Vermin traits
    Saves Fort +8 Ref +4 Will +0
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int -, Wis 7, Cha 1
    Skills
    Feats
    Environment Murk
    Organization Single, Mating Pair
    Challenge Rating 5
    Treasure Normal
    Alignment Always Neutral
    Advancement 9-14 (Medium), 15-20 (Large)

Suddenly the mud in front of you begins to move. A strange worm of mud rises up before you, and you realize that is exactly what it is: some kind of giant worm of the marshes.

Mudworms are widely agreed to be one of the most disgusting natural creatures in existence. They are massive worms that are always coated in the foul-smelling mudlike substance they secrete. Beneath this mud coat they have a sickly yellowish white ringed skin, which always looks like it is almost rotting, and quickly does once the worm is slain, although the body continues to secrete its mud for a period even after the worm dies.

Mud Spray: Mudworms can whip their tails and make a mud spray outward at their opponents, which functions as the spell of the same name. Reflex DC 16 (10 + 1/2 HD + dex bonus).

Foul Stench: Nobody is sure whether the smell of mudworms comes from the mud they are coated in, or is just released in the process, but they are always surrounded by a disgusting odor. Any creature with olfactory functions must make a Fortitude save DC 12 (10 + con bonus) or be nauseated. Those who save against a mudworms Foul Stench do not have to save again vs. any mudworms stench for 1 hour.

Mud Coat: The mud coating that mudworms are named for is their most unusual feature. It protects their body from attacks, providing a +4 armor bonus, even against touch attacks, as touching the mud is not sufficient to contact the body of the creature. If a mudworm takes fire or cold damage equal to twice its HD in a single round, the mud coat solidifies, increasing the armor bonus to +8, but not allowing the mudworm to move. On the next round, the mud crumbles away, leaving the mudworm without any armor bonus other than Dexterity. The mud coating is re-secreted 3d4 rounds after crumbling off.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-03-26 at 11:36 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Frogfolk

Usually found only in swamps, Frogfolk are natural inhabitants of such areas, though at first glance one wouldn’t think that such a race would be able to survive. Through ingenuity, cleverness, and sheer force of will, though, frogfolk have managed to survive in such adverse conditions and even thrive there, many looking outward into the world beyond the Murk.

Good at interacting with people, the small frogfolk lead simple lives. They fish for their food, laze around on logs and marshy territory, and participate in communal activities involving performances, group meals, and community rituals.

Frogfolk Racial Traits
    • -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma
    • Frogfolk are Humanoids with the Aquatic subtype and the Amphibious special quality.
    • Small: As a Small creature, a frogfolk gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
    • Frogfolk base land speed is 20 feet. Frogfolk also have a swim speed of 20 feet.
    • Low-light vision: A frogfolk can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    • Leap: Frogfolk have long, muscular legs that aid them in hopping and jumping. A frogfolk has a +8 racial bonus on Jump checks.
    • Natural Performer: Frogfolk are brought up around performances and they retain their abilities throughout life. Perform is always treated as a class skill for a frogfolk.
    • A frogfolk has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. He can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. He can use the run action while swimming, provided he swims in a straight line.
    • Frogfolk have a slightly slimy skin that makes wriggling free from bonds somewhat easier. They have a +2 racial bonus on Escape Artist checks and opposed grapple checks to avoid being held by a grappling foe and to escape a grapple.
    • Favored Class: Bard. Frogfolk love performing, and the Bard class is a natural fit for them.
    • Level Adjustment: +0
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-07-06 at 11:09 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium