New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron: Merylsward Exhumed

OOG: Oh, I thought you were merely dancing around and not actually attacking. For some of the skills I believe you can take actions while still singing. Also, the effect lasts for five rounds after you stop, so you could let up towards the middle of a fight and resume attacking.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Ajaba

After diving out of the way, Ajaba sees that Wrex is heading over to the Boar. He checks for any thing that might be broken, seeing none and that its only bruises, then he sees the human run for the woman. Ajaba tries to intercept the man before he gets to the woman.

If he succedes Ajaba bowls the man over and says, "Can't you see that she's unconcious if not dead? She's not moving so she'll be there after we finish with this thing. So do us all a favor and stay out of here!"

If Ajaba doesn't reach the guy, he does his best to chase the man and shout various profanities until he reaches him and then throws him into the bushes.
    Afterwards either way Ajaba heads back for round two with the Boar. Ajaba laughs, this is going to be a great meal once we take this monster down.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

XXI Pig roast, anyone?

Orestes casts his sleep spell upon the boar but it seems to have no effect. Aesop continues to tell his story.

(Aesop, you may have missed it in my reply to your OOC, but I think you can attack, depending on which bardic ability you can use. Also, the effects last after you stop talking, so you may want to take that into consideration. All bardic abilities take a standard action to start, but ones like inspire courage do not require one to maintain, so you can make an attack and roll a concentration check to keep your focus).

Delan moves into position near Ajaba and gets ready to assist the gnoll if he needs it. Ajaba runs down the man and tosses him out of the way into the bushes. The man screams incoherently as the gnoll bears down on him and disappears in the underbrush before he can form anything coherent. The Cleric’s son rushes forward with his sword and jabs the boar in the side. Though he isn’t the strongest lad in Eberron, he still manages to draw blood. Another crossbow bolt comes from the bushes where Bin has taken refuge, though his shot goes wide. As the boar turns to try and face the young man Wrex finally catches up to him and rams his sword into the boar full force. With a loud cry the boar drops to its side and lies still. Wrex pulls his great sword out, inverts it, and jams the blade into the boar’s neck, spraying himself and the Cleric’s son in a mist of blood as the boar finally dies. He stands there panting for a moment before looking around, his face flushed with anger. Turning to the young man, he grabs him by the collar with both hands and lifts him off the ground. “By the Dragon Below what’s gotten into you? Stay out of our way or you’ll end up like this pig.” Wrex unceremoniously drops the young man and moves towards Ajaba. His fists clenched in apparent rage, he gets within range of the gnoll and socks him in the jaw. Ajaba stumbles backwards from the blow but remains standing. Wrex points a finger at him and says in a low growl “you’ve spent too long under the heels of these humans, dog. A real warrior would not give up the fight to save a whelp like that one.” He turns his back on Ajaba, leaving himself vulnerable to the gnoll as he yells at the rest of the party. “And what of you? The golem runs around while the elf dances and sings? We’re dead out here if you don’t start fighting smart.” Wrex looks at Orestes but seems to have no angry words for the wizard. Bin crawls out of the bushes and yawns. Apparently he’s used to these kinds of angry tirades. You here a sobbing “help!” come from the direction of the thrown woman and man somewhere in the forest. The Cleric’s son scrambles to his feet and runs towards the cry for help.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

"Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

Default Orestes

"That kid really needs a leash." Orestes takes off after the boy, crossbow cradled in his arms.
    I roll 20s

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Ajaba

Ajaba checks his mouth to feel if any teeth were chipped and wipes away blood. As Wrex continues the tirade the hackles on the back of Ajaba's neck begin to rise and a low growl begins to escape his lips. When Wrex looks to Orestes and others to try and find someone else to yell at, Ajaba grabs him by the shoulder and with a bark punches Wrex in the mouth.

Ajaba stands in front of Wrex and growls, then says, "What do you know of being a warrior? Your'e always supposed to watch your surroundings and the whole fight you were caught under that tree! I don't know what you were taught back in the war, but our pack always comes first Goblin. Who knows they might have info on what we are looking for, and anyone is better alive than dead for a while at least." Ajaba spits. He stares at Wrex, daring him to reply.

If there is none then Ajaba walks over to the Boar and bends down to the neck and takes a large bite out of the throat, letting the blood drip down his fur. He eats his fill of the boar and then begins to start cutting up parts of the meat, wrapping them and puts peices in his pouch.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Delan looks at Wrex for a moment as if he will reply but when the boy goes running off after the two people, so does he. He makes a note to talk to Wrex later, even if Wrex will probably never understand.

Pushing through the bushes, he tries to keep the boy in sight as he runs toward the woman.

Delan asks Orestes to stand watch and he helps the boy with the woman. Even if his powers can heal her, he might have to set bones or just carry her back to the camp if she's passed out.
    You're part of something larger now. It's like you've been eaten...by something larger.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

OOG: Before I update, and before Jesse posts....

I have been very slowly taking your character sheets and putting them up on Myth Weavers so that you can see them. Jesse's is the first one I did and I noticed that you sold yourself short on spells. You qualify to cast one first level bard spell per day. This means that you now get to pick two first level spells to know. Also, since we're level 2, you get an additional (fifth) first level spell to cast. Here is Aesop as I have filled him out. Let me know if you spot any discrepancies and I will keep the rest of you posted about the status of your sheets.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

8. - Top - End - #98
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

OOG: I sent you my 1st-level spells in an email before the game started (I think)--they were Charm Person (which I've already used) and Cure Light Wounds (although with our entire family of clerics, and my new wand, that one isn't quite so important anymore). I don't see any other problems with the sheet, though. Looks pretty good. Also, sorry I've been slow to reply (and didn't revise my post after the misunderstanding was cleared up); I always seem to log on right when the server is slowest.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I got a bonus attribute point which I put in Dex, and that isn't on the sheet. I think that was decided in the same email where I picked the spells, though, so it makes sense.

Aesop

Aesop ignores Wrex's tirade for the most part--he's excited that he found a new use for his magic stories, whether Wrex noticed or not. He's going to have to work a little more on keeping his concentration enough to actually participate in battle, but he anticipates having plenty of practice. He reclaims and sheathes his weapons, then follows the rest of the party to the wounded people.

Approaching whichever one is getting less attention from the other healers, he gives them a reassuring smile before plucking a still-living leaf from an overhead tree, which he presses to their wounds. He closes his eyes and murmurs an incantation to siphon the foliage's abundant life into their battered frame. When he removes his hand, the leaf is brown and withered, but the wound has closed. (OOG: Cure Light Wounds, woo.) Once this is done, he helps assist the wounded back to the caravan and loads them onto a wagon where they can get looked over by a proper cleric.
    Last edited by Loquacius; 2008-04-17 at 12:49 AM. Reason: missed something

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

XXII Thar she blows

OOG: Alright Jesse, all fixed. That’s one down, three to go.

Orestes, Delan, and Aesop leave the Goblinoids and follow the boy to the fallen woman. She’s unconscious and badly wounded and the man crying over her body has some nasty gashes too. The Cleric’s son pulls out the pendant around his neck and again the glowing light fills his hands as he applies them to the woman. Aesop heals the man’s wounds and is thanked with a sobbing hug that nearly knocks him over. Delan lifts the unconscious woman and the little troupe moves back out into the clearing just in time to see Ajaba start gnoshing on the dead boar.

In response to the gnoll’s speech, Wrex grins slightly and says “Maybe you aren’t so bad after all, dog.” Bin chuckles at the new nickname and adds, after the others have gone into the woods: “Are you two done already? It’s hard enough teaming up with these pansies, let’s try not to make it any worse.” Ajaba realizes that Bin is very well spoken for a goblin as he moves towards his feast.

Once Ajaba has supped a bit, everyone moves back to the wagons. Barley has moved the one unconscious man into his wagon on top of his supplies. As you walk from the woods the Cleric’s daughter jumps down and hugs her brother. “Caelan! You’re alright! I was so worried. There’s blood on your sword! What happened?” The Cleric is virtually beaming with pride as he smiles approvingly at his son. The man you rescued seems to have finally reclaimed his voice and begins to thank you profusely. “Thank you, thank you, by Syberis thank you so much for saving my darling Liza and I. When that boar hit our cart I thought for sure we were all dead. What is something like that doing running around here anyways? We aren’t that close to the deep woods.” He turns to his cart and to the dead body and sighs “Look at this mess! Ruined, just ruined. All our supplies are crushed and one of the hired hands is dead. Now we’ll probably never get that bonus the Baron was promising.”

XXII Thar she blows

OOG: Alright Jesse, all fixed. That’s one down, three to go.

Orestes, Delan, and Aesop leave the Goblinoids and follow the boy to the fallen woman. She’s unconscious and badly wounded and the man crying over her body has some nasty gashes too. The Cleric’s son pulls out the pendant around his neck and again the glowing light fills his hands as he applies them to the woman. Aesop heals the man’s wounds and is thanked with a sobbing hug that nearly knocks him over. Delan lifts the unconscious woman and the little troupe moves back out into the clearing just in time to see Ajaba start gnoshing on the dead boar.

In response to the gnoll’s speech, Wrex grins slightly and says “Maybe you aren’t so bad after all, dog.” Bin chuckles at the new nickname and adds, after the others have gone into the woods: “Are you two done already? It’s hard enough teaming up with these pansies, let’s try not to make it any worse.” Ajaba realizes that Bin is very well spoken for a goblin as he moves towards his feast.

Once Ajaba has supped a bit, everyone moves back to the wagons. Barley has moved the one unconscious man into his wagon on top of his supplies. As you walk from the woods the Cleric’s daughter jumps down and hugs her brother. “Caelan! You’re alright! I was so worried. There’s blood on your sword! What happened?” The Cleric is virtually beaming with pride as he smiles approvingly at his son. The man you rescued seems to have finally reclaimed his voice and begins to thank you profusely. “Thank you, thank you, by Syberis thank you so much for saving my darling Liza and I. When that boar hit our cart I thought for sure we were all dead. What is something like that doing running around here anyways? We aren’t that close to the deep woods.” He turns to his cart and to the dead body and sighs “Look at this mess! Ruined, just ruined. All our supplies are crushed and one of the hired hands is dead. Now we’ll probably never get that bonus the Baron was promising.”
    Last edited by King Tius; 2008-04-17 at 10:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Delan

Delan sets the woman down gingerly beside the wagons. "Could you see to her?" he asks the father of the two youngsters. "The boar hurt her and we could not treat her effectively in the woods." After the woman is set to rights, he turns toward the man who is ranting at the

Delan offers to help them put the wagon aright and salvage anything that wasn't killed by the boar. "Was there a bonus if you got to town quickly or with all of your goods intact?" Delan tries to get information out of the man as he talks to him (Gather Information, I guess).

He watches how Wrex and Ajaba are dealing with the delay and the aftermath of the combat. Both seem blood thirsty and not likely to understand his feelings on violence.
    You're part of something larger now. It's like you've been eaten...by something larger.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

Default Orestes

Orestes walks back to the road with the rest of the party. He keeps quiet and crosses his arms until The wounded guy mentions the Baron. "If you don't mind, sir, what were you carrying?" He ignores the family drama going on behind him and thanks the gods that the goblinoids are so eager to take the brunt of the combat.
    Last edited by Zoobity; 2008-04-20 at 12:08 PM.
    I roll 20s

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Ajaba

Ajaba puts a few of the best peices in his pouch and tucks it away. He wipes off his fur while he looks around at the carnage that the boar caused. When the man mentions bonus, Ajaba's ears perk up. He listens while Delan speaks to the man. Afterwards/During Ajaba goes about looking at the wrekage and looks for anything useful to be had.

13. - Top - End - #103

SwashbucklerGuy

Aesop

In response to the man's thanks, Aesop shakes his head. "Nonsense. We couldn't just stand by and watch. Which Baron is this you're working for? A run-in with a beast like that couldn't possibly mean you'll be getting paid LESS. Where were you taking these supplies, anyhow?" At some point, Aesop goes over to the wreck and helps Ajaba Search through it for anything notable.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

XXIII All is not lost

“My Liza and I were headed out to New Merylsward to answer the call for farmers. This Baron fellow…Ir’Kusk I think his name was, is offering to match any crop profits made within his lands by harvest time this year. As soon as we caught wind we sold our home and everything we had to head out here and get plowing. Our wagon was full of seed and supplies to start farming. We’d brought these two along and promised to split the bonus with them if they helped kick off our farm. Now that our wagon’s busted and most of the supplies are dashed, we’ll be lucky if we grow so much as a single bean by harvest time. Liza and I were planning on at least getting a half-decent crop up. We...(starting to lose control)…we couldn’t afford all the supplies up front. If we don’t pay…” The man loses his grip and begins to sob softly, cupping his face with his hands.

The Cleric moves to help the woman and begins to cast his healing magics upon her. As he works he asks his son about what damage was done to her and where he applied his healing pendant. As the father works, he seems to be instructing his son about where best to place his spells and how to properly deal with the woman’s injuries. It seems that this particular clergyman is knowledgeable in both the magical and mundane forms of healing.

Ajaba and Aesop begin shifting through the wagon and find that the man’s story checks out. Several crates of grain have been broken open, though two remain in tact. A plow head and several farming tools seem to have survived the impact. While the wagon is shot, only one of the wheels was destroyed. As they begin setting aside intact cargo Wrex walks over and silently picks up one of the grain crates. He carries it over to the group’s wagon and places it in the back. Bin slinks over to the dead man and rifles through his pockets.

Barley walks over and pats the man on the back. “There there lad, all’s not lost. You’re still breathing and so is your Mrs. We’re headed to Merylsward ourselves and can give you and the rest of your goods a lift. You can pay us back once you get those crops up.” One of Barley’s cousins starts to protest but a quick glance from the wagon master shuts him up.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Default Orestes

Orestes looks at the farmer in his plight and smiles kindly. Orestes looks him in the eye and says, "If you're willing to carry stone I can guarantee you that you'll find a job in Merylsward. Please, gather what you can so we can all be off." Orestes heads over to the broken wagon wheel and attempts to cast Mending on it.
    I roll 20s

16. - Top - End - #106

SwashbucklerGuy

Aesop

Upon hearing the farmer identify the Baron: "I thought as much. We're working for ir'Kusk too, actually. Not as farmers, as you can probably guess. Had to make sure you were talking about him and not this... evil twin he seems to have in the area, name of Moss." Ajaba, come to think of it, is not privy to this information, so Aesop addresses this next to him as well as to the farmer: "Sent a bunch of highwaymen out to hassle us a while back, but they're not hassling anyone anymore. You'd be best off following where we can protect you in case he sends some more. Most likely some robber baron who thinks having enough thugs do his bidding makes him a noble, but I could be wrong." Aesop takes a second to think about anything he might have heard regarding a Baron Moss (OOG: Bardic Knowledge. Don't know why I didn't do this before). If he can think of anything, he tells everyone.

Later, Aesop helps move the farmers' salvaged goods onto their wagon train, unless Orestes can fix the wagon wheel, in which case he attempts to help get their wagon ready to go again.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Ajaba

After finding only grain and a few tools Ajaba stands up and walks over to the wagon. When Wrex puts the grain on the cart Ajaba just looks at him curiously. I wonder what that's for He shakes his head None of my buisness, I guess
    Aesop hails him and snaps him out of his thought, when Aesop begins to catch him up on Baron Moss, Ajaba just yawns. "It doesn't matter if it's a boar or bandits, pointy ears. They both taste pretty good all the same." With that Ajaba laughs, walks over to the cart and leans against it shaking his head.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Delan

As the priest begins to heal the woman, he watches him talk to his son about what he's doing. It's very interesting that he uses both magic and mundane skills for healing when he obviously has the magical skills.

Delan is unsure what's going on when Wrex moves the box but he thinks that they should help the two get to town. He understands that Barley is only helping them so that they are in his debt but he would rather they get the help and be in debt than have to stay in the wilderness.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

XXIV Merylsward at last

Orestes casts his mending spell upon the wheel and repairs it. The frame of the wagon, however, is still too damaged to be salvaged by your gang. Aesop, after filling Ajaba in on what he knows, racks his brain about The Baron of Moss. He recalls that the Baron is one of several gang-leaderish types who have taken up residence in the Eldeen Reaches, claiming large swaths of forest as their “kingdoms” and demanding taxes on waylaid travelers and local farmers. The Baron of Moss is one of the larger crime lords with a large fort allegedly somewhere in the northern forests. With the man’s supplies loaded into your wagon, you once again set out for Merylsward. After the remaining few days of traveling you at last reach your destination…..

Your wagon train slowly crests a small hill and you are struck with a beautiful scene. Off in the distance the blue haze of the ocean hugs the horizon as the sun reaches near its zenith. Before you lies the fabled lake. To the west the first trunks of the great Eldeen Forest creep up almost to the lakeshore itself. As the lake approaches the coast the beach transforms to cliffs, eventually peaking and almost touching at the coast of the beach. A large piece of the cliff face had collapsed into the gap long ago, raising the water level considerably and turning this once-upon-a-time cove into a lake. As you stand on this hill southeast of the lake, you see the ruins of Old Merylsward to the south of the lake. Built on either side of the river that feeds this lake, Old Merylsward is now half submerged in water and has been abandoned by the common races for a long time. Near the eastern shore of the lake you can see smoke rising from the site of the new town. You can vaguely make out the shape of building or two but cannot see anything specific from this far out. (You will one day be able to see a map of this, perhaps when we switch back to LV’s server).

With no reason to dilly-dally, the wagon train moves on towards the new town. As you get close you see that several building are currently under construction while three seem finished. Many tents have been set up around the area, some in clusters, others arranged where building will one day stand. The banging of hammers and sawing of wood greets you as you enter the town. Many folk, at least three dozen from a quick glance, are at work on the surrounding houses. Some are digging foundations while others build frames or mortar stone. Barley stops the wagon and hops out. “You lads will probably want to see the Mayor about your new jobs. He’s over in that building yonder.” Barley’s fat finger points towards the largest of the three erected buildings, one that looks like a town hall sort of deal. A high stone wall has been set up around it and it seems located towards the very center of the tentative town layout. As you look around, you notice that one of the half-build houses has two stone elementals rumbling around it.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

20. - Top - End - #110

SwashbucklerGuy

Aesop

At the wreck:
    Aesop is not rattled by Ajaba's reply. "Oh, but they don't taste EXACTLY the same, do they? If you don't keep up with intelligence, how will you know what wine to get? Dire boars go fairly well with white wine, I imagine, perhaps a pinot grigio if it's chilled properly, but with a robber baron you need a nice dark cabernet sauvignon or the flavor is entirely wasted. Not even worth peeling off the chainmail to get to it! To say nothing of the marinade choices..." Aesop loves food, like any right-minded follower of Olladra does. He keeps this up until Ajaba stops looking so smug, at which point he simply smiles, says "Frankly I have no idea how you manage this eating-people business without proper preparation. Must be a great hobby, though!" and walks off whistling to check on the farmer's wife.

At New Merylsward:
    Aesop gazes wistfully at what's left of Old Merylsward for a short time--he'd been here once, before the whole world went to hell, and that had been a fairly nice little town. Too bad what happened to it. But then that's why they're here. "C'mon, guys, let's get a move on. Bet we've got a hefty sack of gold waiting for us already after what we went through getting here." Whistling again, he sets off toward town hall.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Default Orestes

Orestes looks at the party. "If you'll excuse me, I have to go check in with my family's representatives." Orestes rolls up his sleeves, revealing the dragonmark on the inside of his left arm before he goes off to look for any sign of the Lyrandar reps in the outpost.
    I roll 20s

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Ajaba

On the Road:
    While Aesop rambles on and on, Ajaba looks at him and says, "You talk too much pointy ears..." With that Ajaba walks to the front of the wagon and looks out for other obstructions in the path. He does this until they reach Merylsward.

Merylsward:
    Ajaba rolls his eyes at Aesop and looks to Wrex and Bin, "how do you stand him talking?" Ajaba shrugs his shoulders and takes a quick look around the town to see the lay of the land, looking at the people there as well. If he sees any Gnolls then he greats them without a second thought and tries to get as much information of Daargun, and here as he can. If he doesnt find any, then he just goes around the town looking for vantage points and other important areas in the town's layout.
    Last edited by FrereSebastian; 2008-04-29 at 12:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Delan

Delan helps the woman up after she is healed and then simply watches as everything else happens. He's interested to hear about the Baron of Moss but he doesn't understand why the man would want to claim large parts of the forest. It seems to be mostly wilderness with a few random passengers. Certainly not enough to support even a "kingdom" of a few hundred.

In town:
    Delan strolls into town with the rest and then proceeds to the town that Barley has pointed them to. The earth elementals are an interested touch because usually manual labor like this is done by warforged. He makes a mental note to ask about it later, once they have gotten briefed.

24. - Top - End - #114

SwashbucklerGuy

Aesop

On the road:
    Aesop ignores Ajaba and follows him, still talking, until he's good and done. When he makes his astute observation, Aesop winks. "That's why they hired me!"

At New Merylsward:
    Aesop raises an eyebrow at Ajaba's unusually strong objection to two sentences of banter. In a joking tone rather than a confrontational one: "Sorry. Did I distract you from being ugly? I can understand if that takes a lot of concentration." Whistling resumes.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Ajaba

At Merylsward:
    After Aesop says that, Ajaba chuckles, "No elf, you're not distracting me from being ugly. But you are tempting me to make that face of yours a little less pretty." With that Ajaba lets out a hyena like laugh, waves, and jogs on over to check out the lay of the land.
    Pointy ears is starting to grow on me Ajaba lets out another chuckle as he begins to head over towards the area of tents.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

XXV: Meet the Mayor

OOG: Aesop is 200 so I will allow that he has been to Old Merylsward. I had the accident set somewhere around 150-200 years ago, so 150 works. Did I say accident?

Orestes sets off looking for his house. After checking the few buildings in various states of “built”, he finally spies his house standard piked proudly out in front of a large, nicely made tent toward the middle of the proposed town. Pulling back a flap to venture in, he is immediately greeted by a female voice. “And who’s this?” Orestes finds the owner of the voice to be a slender half-elf lounging lazily in a hammock strung up on one side of the tent. Her dark brown hair trails down well past her shoulders and she wears the haphazard attire of the lazy upper class. Wrex and Bin chuckle at Ajaba’s comment. Bin starts to speak in Goblin but corrects himself and switches to Common: “they’re not so bad once you get used to being around them. Me and Wrex been round them a long time with our war patrol. They’re ugly and stupid but these ones ain’t bad.” Anyone who looks at Bin, most likely out of shock that he spoke, or spoke in Common, or spoke nicely, gets a curt nod but nothing else. Ajaba starts to scout the area and finds the town being built on top of a small hill just by the water. The shoreline doesn’t become cliffside for a good ways towards the coast and the forest is thin and set back on this side of the lake. All in all it seems like the best defendable position around, other than up on the cliffs. Delan, Aesop, Wrex, and Bin head off to the main building. Passing through the gate, you venture inside and find yourself standing in a bare atrium. Though the outside looks like a standard government building, the inside is still very much in need of finishing and furnishing. As you enter a woman peaks her head out from a side door and quickly disappears. A moment later a burly human man walks out and extends his hand. He is middle aged and very weathered, as if he’s seen his fair share of the world. “Welcome to New Merylsward. What can I do for you?”
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Delan

At the wagon:
    Delan looks a little shocked at Ajaba's threat to Aesop's face but since no one else seems rattled, he tries to forget about it. He can't be sure sometimes if the others are joking.

Inside:
    Delan moves toward the man and reaches out to shake his hand He's not sure of the man's reaction toward warforged so if he pulls back, he just shrugs it off.
    "We have been hired by the Duke to help with the reclamation of Merylsward. I am Delan, an officiant of the Shining Host and a trained Artificer." He pauses and allows the others to introduce themselves.

"We've all taken this job but I do not know what duties it will entail. From all the trouble we had getting here, I assume that we will be dealing with all the dangers of the wood, no?"

28. - Top - End - #118

SwashbucklerGuy

Aesop

Upon Bin's critique of elvenkind, Aesop nods. "I'm actually with you on this one, Bin. The elves just might be the stupidest of the common races. If you live for a thousand years and never quite figure out where you're wrong, you have a problem. I'm not so sure about the 'ugly' part, though. I guess you've never seen our maidens." He gets a faraway look on his face for a second, a century's worth of fleeting romances playing through his head.

Inside, after Delan mentions how they were hired: "Yes, we heard you had need of, ah, stout hearts and sword-arms? Anyway, I'm Aesop Wynde, sir. Swordsman, diplomat, mage, magic storyteller." (Good old Diplomacy check here, to make a good first impression.) "And I would conjecture that the matter where you need our help has to do with a certain Baron Moss? His men ambushed us on the road. Quite the obstacle to progress, that one."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Ajaba

At Bin's reply Ajaba just chuckles again. Then jogs off to search the area. After he searches the area for decent lookout and vantage points, he doubles back to the town hall. When he makes it back he slows to a trot. Its been too long... he thought. The last time he had to do this was back in the days of the war and by the hags did it feel great.

He sees the rest of his party with the large man who must be the mayor. Ajaba slows to a walk and makes his entrence. He looks to Bin and Wrex and makes his report. "The town is in a great vantage point surprisingly... These settlers did a good deal of scouting to start the town here, the only other good place of defense is the cliffs. We're in a pretty good base of operations."
    He gives his attention to the mayor and waits for more information on thier duties.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

XXVI: Time to Settle In

“The Duke? You must mean Baron Ir’Kusk, or else there are other noblemen with stakes in this town I don’t know about.” As Ajaba gives his report to Wrex and Bin, the mayor seems pleased “glad you approve.” The mayor smiles at Aesop (positive diplomacy check), “so you’ve met some of the Baron of Moss’ men? Too many Barons to keep track of in these parts, but don’t tell Kusk I said that. That Moss clown is nothing more than a crime lord who doesn’t like cities, but he’s got quite a hold in these parts. As for your role here, we’ve got ourselves a sizable work force of masons and what not to help build the town. We even have a few dedicated guards on loan from Aundair to help keep order and protect the town proper. Problem is there are all manner of folk and creatures who don’t want us putting this town up. You’ve got the lizard folk across the water, the crazier of the druids in the forest, the Baron of Moss, the local fey, and the angrier of the locals, just to name a few. What we need you adventuring types for is to deal with the grittier exploration and diplomatic relations that this town is going to need to stay afloat. The Baron has sponsored farmers to move into the region, but it’ll take a smooth tongue or a swift kick in the ass to get those druids off our backs. Don’t even get me started on the lizard folk over in the sunken town. Enough of that for now, it’s your first day in town and you should go get settled. Grab a patch of grass to set up your tents near the outer rim of town. If you want to pick out an actual plot in town and build yourselves a house, you’re more than welcome to, though you’ll have to pay. Come back tomorrow and I’ll have one of my assistants set up to deliver your assignments and deal with your payment. When you’ve got downtime, which I’m sure you will, there’s a whole town to be built, so you can always find some manual labor. Any questions?”

The blonde half elf looks impatiently at Orestes. “Cat got your tongue or has my overwhelming beauty rendered you speechless?”
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing