New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 97 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 87

I definately assumed that the 4 kiss golems were the 4 hard rock golems, since that is the type of music I would classify them as. The metal golem pictured in the klog looks like he was modeled on an 80's thrash metal band member, somebody out of Kreator, Sodom, Metallica, Slayer, etc.

I can totally tell that one of the creators of Erfworld is a metalhead though, based on the NWOBHM reference and the attire of the metal golem (and the fact that there is only one, which implies elite-ness). And as a huge metal nerd myself, I can't wait to see what kind of devastation the metal golem can wreak. Maybye he will look like one of the dudes from Immortal?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

That... that was absolutely precious.

It's so clever... so ridiculous... so stupid. It's almost Zim-esque.

I laughed for quite a long time at this one.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

MARBIT JAM! OH NOM NOM NOM

epic as always :D
    now we know that marbits make funny sounds when they get smashed hard >:D
    Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    You're kidding, right? This is the comic where one of the main characters worships his own hand puppet

4. - Top - End - #124
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystyco View Post
    MARBIT JAM! OH NOM NOM NOM

epic as always :D
    now we know that marbits make funny sounds when they get smashed hard >:D
    In fact, I don't think we've ever seen them actually speak in words, just expressive sounds. Presumably they can, though, or there'd be no point in one of them being present at Ansom's victory party turned council of war.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    In fact, I don't think we've ever seen them actually speak in words, just expressive sounds. Presumably they can, though, or there'd be no point in one of them being present at Ansom's victory party turned council of war.
    Well, considering they're essentially armoured furless subterranean Eroks — I mean Ewoks…

Come to think of it, I wonder what Parson would have thought if he'd known which song Ansom's company were singing and dancing to while he was kindling their siege towers?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    I assumed that the golem on the far right was the metal golem because it's throwing up the horns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Well, that and the fact that it's all shiny and, well, metallic, unlike the other examples. And that the golems in the current strip clearly follow the same design, and use the heavy metal umlaut, and make a sound effect that references heavy metal...
    My take is, that these are the four metal golems, and the mistake was in the unit roster listing. There is a precedent for Stupid Meal info to have been incorrect:
    Quote Originally Posted by Parson's Klog #6
    Incomplete information: it's part of this complete breakfast! Parson's Klog #6
    I'm listing this as a blooper (wrong count in the roster list), anyway.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

Just started reading the forums here, been reading the comics since last year. Seeing the discussion regarding this page gave me impetus to join and contribute my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Freederick View Post
    My take is, that these are the four metal golems, and the mistake was in the unit roster listing.
    It does say "4 Hard Rock Golems".

Now, correct me if my assumption is unfounded: couldn't Sizemore's bonus for personally leading the units 'level up' the Hard Rock Golems to Metal. Parson's note about caster/leader bonus appears after the Stupid Meal roster listing (and Maggie's confirmation of that list).

One thing I like about this theory is the speculation of what the Metal Golem levels up to with Sizemore's bonus.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by los olvidados View Post
    Just started reading the forums here, been reading the comics since last year. Seeing the discussion regarding this page gave me impetus to join and contribute my two cents.

It does say "4 Hard Rock Golems".

Now, correct me if my assumption is unfounded: couldn't Sizemore's bonus for personally leading the units 'level up' the Hard Rock Golems to Metal. Parson's note about caster/leader bonus appears after the Stupid Meal roster listing (and Maggie's confirmation of that list).

One thing I like about this theory is the speculation of what the Metal Golem levels up to with Sizemore's bonus.
    I could buy that. But I definitly think that they are Metal Golems now at least, and that the one on the right of the klog is supposed to be metal. I mean, they are shiny!
    /co/ is love.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kagato23 View Post
    I mean, they are shiny!
    Yeah, there's no doubt about that. GÖLEM is indeed metal.

10. - Top - End - #130

Quote Originally Posted by los olvidados View Post

I think this would be an elegant solution, in that any "series" type of unit would look different depending on Upgrades.

I thought Death Metal Golems would be most likely, but that sounds more like Hard Rock Golem with the dual upgrades from a Dirtamancer and a Croakamancer. Most likely you'd get Heavy Metal Golems with Radiation damage bonuses, or Speed Metal Golems.

Unless of course, those are covered by other upgrade types.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Freederick View Post
    My take is, that these are the four metal golems, and the mistake was in the unit roster listing. There is a precedent for Stupid Meal info to have been incorrect:

I'm listing this as a blooper (wrong count in the roster list), anyway.
    Or maybe Sizemore made more heavy metal golems between the stupid meal and this strip...

Though, with no reference to that, it does 'feel' more like a blooper.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Or maybe Sizemore made more heavy metal golems between the stupid meal and this strip...

Though, with no reference to that, it does 'feel' more like a blooper.
    It could be either one. On the one hand, the fact that bigger units take more time to pop argues against more metal golems being ready in time. On the other hand, Parson's strategy of overkill against the furthest-advanced scouts would be served by obtaining as many as possible of the biggest unit left to him, in case the scouts did send back intel other than "we're getting wiped out".

On the gripping hand, the image was too booping cool to pass up.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-03-03 at 03:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

On the other hand, Parson's strategy of overkill against the furthest-advanced scouts would be served by obtaining as many as possible of the biggest unit left to him, in case the scouts did send back intel other than "we're getting wiped out".

On the gripping hand, the image was too booping cool to pass up.
    Since we still don't know if Parson can control unit-creation or access the treasury, I'm inclined to doubt the units are new, too.

Seems like either Freederick's blooper or these are the hard rock golems, umlaut notwithstanding.

Aside: it occurred to me that I'd never used the phrase umlaut notwithstanding, so I Googled it. It has only been caught by Google seventeen times, for reasons ranging from Wagner to borscht to autism.
    Don't feed the twolls.

14. - Top - End - #134

Dunno why I didn't think of this before:

The Stupid Meal says, "The following Forces remain in the city of Godwin Knob...."

So, what's to imply that the Metal Golems were not outside the city, perhaps returning from the rear in that turn? Ansom's encirclement is not complete, so that could easily be plausible. Inelegant, but plausible, as I'm sure Stanley was recalling forces from elsewhere.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

It could be either one. On the one hand, the fact that bigger units take more time to pop argues against more metal golems being ready in time.
    I was more thinking of Sizemore making them. Presumably he can make golems out of 'scrap' material, and it may be that GK has more weapons/armor than soldiers.

Given that he seems to be making crap golems quite frequently, the fact that there are only 19 crap golems indicates that they probably don't last very long.

Temporary units would not take as long to make as permanent units.