New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond Myria (IC) - Book 2

Noj Onadare
    Noj had been casting suspicious glances all around, and he nearly drew his sword reflexively as the strange lizardy priests appeared and began their ceremony.
    His mouth falls open as the statue speaks (finally in a language he can understand, even!), and he listens with rising wonder.
    Ach, was I twice the fool I thought? Aye, it's true there were Wendigo enough down on the plains, but...
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesha doesn't seem particularly shocked by a talking statue, he just listens carefully. What exactly must we do to free the sun?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

The stone dvarf remains in it's warriors pose, bracing the large maul in front of it's short frame. It's glimmering eyes look over Vesha's shoulder to include the group.

"The sorcery must be broken or undone, and the rites that bind it in place must be destroyed. You will need to discover how the magics were performed - either from the sorcerors themselves... or from another who has power of that sort.
    The former are cursed wanderers with no love of life and no reason to aid you.
    The latter are so few that... that the only two I have ever known are bound into the cavern below and will be no help.
    If you do not know of a great sage or ancient source of knowledge we will have to find one.

Once you have this knowledge, you can gather the strength to break the sorcery.
    The crests of the Peoples are powerful things, linked to the life of the tribes, the wisdom of their ancestors and the hope of their children. You carry two, and a third is within your grasp. If you had four then you would possess the power to summon the aid of the tribes and destroy the rites.
    "
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Black Shield Transforms! - from Beyond Myria campaign
    Wolvun avatar by kind courtesy of Kain_Tempest.

Spoiler
    Show

Requiescat in pace: the "Sweet Hat Bro" bird.
    Can nothing survive the jaws of THE BEAST? Even the innocent cute and fluffy?

Quote Originally Posted by sikyon View Post
    Sometimes people forget all the benefits we reap from the sacrifices of our soldiers.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

What do you mean, that the third is within our grasp? asks Vesha. He still doesn't seem bothered by the fact he's talking to a statue.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

Jyn awaits the stone guardian's answer for Vesha's latest question. Once heard, she says, "We do carry the words of the Adelmada before she fully turned to the darkness. Do you have the knowledge to translate the mysterious words, as they may have information needed in defeating the seals you mention."
    Wonderful Avatar by Kain_Tempest

6. - Top - End - #186

Pivoting smoothly at the waist, it's legs still blended with the earth and rock, the stone dvarf looks askance at the hide tapestry towards the other statue and shrugs it's shoulders towards it.

The proud lizard shows teeth and seems to cheer with it's spear raised high. Around its neck, not formed of stone, is a stylised bronze tree hung on a leather cord.

The dvarf look at Jyn as she approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Grymmheart View Post
    Jyn ... says, "We do carry the words of the Adelmada before she fully turned to the darkness. Do you have the knowledge to translate the mysterious words, as they may have information needed in defeating the seals you mention."
    "Tell me the words that you believe are of use. Though I would think anything she spoke today was insensible."

Spoiler
    Show

Sometimes people forget all the benefits we reap from the sacrifices of our soldiers.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Ingvar stands quietly, pondering on the information imparted by the dvarf.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Jyn begins to reach into her pack to remove the journal.

"Within this tome are the words I speak of. Unfortunately I can not read what is within it, for it jumbles before mine eyes. Do you have knowledge of this language, or an idea of how I may gain it?" she asks.

9. - Top - End - #189

The statue peers over the journal as Jyn opens the pages for it.

"Those are sorcerous runes, Gerthwyn Cadinoc must have learnt some Vendigo spirit-weaving. The rest of the lettering looks like a design of her own, a code to hide her notes.
    I cannot be sure what her source of knowledge was. Perhaps if you can find it, then it can teach us as well. We must be wary of course, you know what happened to her.
    "

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Mynas ponders this for a moment.
    "Hrm. The she-wolf must have either learned that magic prior to meeting her cadre, or some time within. If we knew where she acquired that information... Perhaps Raenis' journal has some indication of where it is." Mynas offered.
    "For the amateur, the funniest thing in the world is the sight of a man dressed up as an old woman rolling down a steep hill in a wheel-chair and crashing into a wall at the bottom of it. But to make a pro laugh, it would have to be a real old woman." Groucho Marx

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

"It is possible that the tie I felt when we partook the elixir is my link to the far off ancestors of lore. The tomes spoke of a possible cadre of learned people and I feel a certain pull in the direction mentioned. I wonder if we travelled there, If we would be able to gain the knowledge to free the sun and finally defeat the Adelmada," responds Jyn.

12. - Top - End - #192

"It is good that you have drunk of your ancestors blood from the vial. Perhaps you will know much of what Raenis felt when he travelled. In his day, his blood was all around him and much as you feel a connection to the past, he felt it in the present, every Lupin felt like a child of his own flesh. Today I am unsure how much of the People's blood remains. Certainly the blood of Men has come down through the tribes and diluted it.
    The Ringed Forest People are one of the few pure bloods left. The Fanoc Callers maybe as well, if anyone of them have survived.

I have not heard you speak much of what you all feel, and who you believe your ancestors where. Perhaps these are secrets you need to keep. But if allies you are, then you must share your strengths. Certainly the Ringed Forest People will offer you their loyalty, if you give them yours.

You have shown me two books, I sensed a third in the vault. It troubles me for Raenis concealed it from me, and now you do as well. Think carefully about the secrets you keep.
    "
    Last edited by Gygaxphobia; 2008-05-03 at 07:46 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Jyn wears an embarrassed look on her face before reaching in her pack for the chained book. Withdrawing it she responds, "Please forgive me, I was not trying to hide this book from you. We have been unable to open it, so there is no knowledge that I could share with you theat may help in our quest. If you have any notion how to pry the book open, it would be greatly appreciated and then we could discuss the knowledge within."

14. - Top - End - #194

The statue nods it's head when it sees the third book.
    "I warn you because I did not know of it before, Raenis hid it from me. Only when you entered the vault did I know of it.
    The magic in that book is dangerous, it is likely that Gerthwyn stole it and read it. That would have given her access to dark spirits, infernal things that lie and cheat those who contact them.

I suspect that one of these spirits undid the Vendigo, and also the Adelmada. Whatever pacts they made gave them false promise and they were betrayed.

My hands are too clumsy in this form. You will have to unlock the book for yourselves.
    "

Spoiler
    Show
    You made the rolls some time time, with Jyn assisting Noj. You just need to spent a fair few hours unravelling the chains to get inside.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

"Well that is frightening. If by opening the door, you can now sense the book, we must worry that the Adelbrood and others can now sense it and will seek the evil within. Should we just destroy it? Or do you think knowledge within will help in our quest? Jyn asks the statue.

Turning to her companions, she continues "This will be an interesting decision for us. I get the impression that we lack the knowledge to 'free the sun' as we had hoped. If we still desire that goal, we must seek elsewhere for the lore to accomplish the task. I can only presume that the faint ties I feel through consuming the vial of ancestors are links to the Loremasters of old spoken of in the journals we uncovered. They seem far off, but travelling there may offer us insight for our return here to change the face of Myria."

Looking towards the statue and the lizardmen around them, Jyn continues "Do you feel your kind will be safe here in the mountain with the Vendigo and Adelbrood rampaging throughout the area? Is there a way to seal off these areas? They had tried to free the spirit within Raenis earlier, but failed. We can only hope that they will not succeed ever."

Spoiler
    Show

can't remember fully- adelmada trapped in raenis, her release was stopped, but i assume it can still happen. we must accept that the town give up lives to feed raenis and the evil spirit within until we have time to stop it all.

not sure direction of jyn's feeling of ties to the others (west maybe).

are this lizrdmen the dvarfs?

16. - Top - End - #196

"Well that is frightening. If by opening the door, you can now sense the book, we must worry that the Adelbrood and others can now sense it and will seek the evil within. Should we just destroy it? Or do you think knowledge within will help in our quest? Jyn asks the statue.
    "It may be that I sensed the book because the Kul shaman brought my soul close enough to it, it may also be Raenis had magically sealed the vault to prevent detection."

Turning to her companions, she continues "This will be an interesting decision for us. I get the impression that we lack the knowledge to 'free the sun' as we had hoped. If we still desire that goal, we must seek elsewhere for the lore to accomplish the task. I can only presume that the faint ties I feel through consuming the vial of ancestors are links to the Loremasters of old spoken of in the journals we uncovered. They seem far off, but travelling there may offer us insight for our return here to change the face of Myria."
    "I can try to aid you with some of the sorcery, at least while you learn to protect yourself from it. To fully understand the rite that was completed you will most likely need to know the whole book and visit the sites that were used in its creation.

Looking towards the statue and the lizardmen around them, Jyn continues "Do you feel your kind will be safe here in the mountain with the Vendigo and Adelbrood rampaging throughout the area? Is there a way to seal off these areas? They had tried to free the spirit within Raenis earlier, but failed. We can only hope that they will not succeed ever."
    Oak, the shaman, speaks up. Hissing and croaking and expressing itself with jerky arm movements it tells a story, which the dvarf then relates.

"The valley was sealed off for many years, and hid Pinval from the Adelbrood. In recent times they have tried to relocate it, and this place. The Ringed have eliminated their scouts when they could without giving anything away - it seems that with this latest attack they have nearly located us here. The force outside will need to defeat them, and then hunt them down to prevent them from bringing information back to their camp about us."

He looks to Oak and then back across you all, the stone eyes resting on Thyr. "Perhaps you can help them ensure that no survivors escape." he inquires.

Spoiler
    Show
    can't remember fully- adelmada trapped in raenis, her release was stopped, but i assume it can still happen. we must accept that the town give up lives to feed raenis and the evil spirit within until we have time to stop it all.

not sure direction of jyn's feeling of ties to the others (west maybe).

are this lizrdmen the dvarfs?
    1. Sounds about right

2. Jyn has faint ties to individuals in the far West, but also further North-East, back where she came from. Equal numbers in both directions. She also senses much fainter connections to beings nearby, just outside the moutain, though unsure of where.

3. The lizardmen seem to be refered to as the Ringed Forest People in the journals, and by the dvarf. Little is known of the dvarf, except that they are thought to be earth spirits, and forgers of quality metals, especially soulforged weapons that they make on their death beds. Nothing to say they are the same, but nothing explicit to say they are different either.
    Last edited by Gygaxphobia; 2008-05-05 at 11:29 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

"Well if we must know the book, we must first spend the time opening it to reveal what is within its pages. I regret having to say this, but my conscience will not allow me to ignore it. Please translate what I say for my companions."

Reaching to her ransuer, Jyn begins to unfurl the crude banner she had been trying to make. As the lizard flesh becomes visible, she adresses the shaman in Ancient. [ancient]"I apologize for my actions this day. A fight between our people occured this day, as we both were attempting to protect something dear to us. I am happy we decided to communicate before more bloodshed was spilt among us. Before I realized the honor of your people, I removed part of a fallen warrior's flesh to help signify the trials my comrades and I have triumphed against. As I witnessed a standard bearer among the warriors sent to defeat the Vendigo, I know you understand I was not trying to discredit the soul of the defeated warrior, but honor its strength and recognize the strength we must have to have withstood its anger. Let me know what you would have me do with it, for I want to honor your wishes."[/ancient]

Spoiler
    Show
    translator expired so straight english

18. - Top - End - #198

There is some murmuring among the crowd as the banner is unfurled, though it is difficult to be sure of the feelings it contains.

The dvarf hesitates a moment before it responds.
    "I will discuss it with them, this is not something I am sure of but telling them is not the worst you could so. Certainly they honour the dead, and will not blame you for the killing.

Would you like to take some time to rest, and take what food they can give you? There is a room which has fresh air and the heat should be more comfortable. You can even sleep if you wish. When the warrior group returns we can discuss all of this further.
    "

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Thyr muddles over the dvarfs statement to her. She starts when she hears something and looping the axe slings over her pack and pulls out the two shards of Faillune.

"I kinda feel like I've been left out of a lot of important stuff lately. I mean being stuffed in a bag and having that axe take my place. Honestly... You need to put me a better spot that that. Maybe on your shoulder, or... Huh..." Faillune seems to grasp where he is.
    "Well you seem familiar... A dvarf spirit from the looks of it. Heh, looks like there was still some mage in that 'ole bronze maul he found." Faillune chuckles at his little joke. Thyr turns her attention to the dvarf, holding the shards in her hand.
    "Although I would relish the opportunity to hunt down more of my fallen kin, I am afraid that I am inadequately armed to handle the undertaking. Especially if I am to take your attention to indicate that this expected of me, earth wright." She showed the shards.
    "But my companion, Drinks Beneath the Full Moon-"
    "Faillune." The shards chimed.
    "Was brought down and I am sure that my hunt will bear little or nothing at all if my companion is unable to fight alongside of me."
    "Aww... You do care. As you can see, old soul, we've been doing this for a long time. Down to a fault, and my poor girl here is like a shovegurtt with a broken jaw..."
    "Jyn's translations reveal that weapons were made for the blood hunt by the dvarfs. I was wondering if Faillune's presence was the handiwork of your kind."
    "For the amateur, the funniest thing in the world is the sight of a man dressed up as an old woman rolling down a steep hill in a wheel-chair and crashing into a wall at the bottom of it. But to make a pro laugh, it would have to be a real old woman." Groucho Marx

20. - Top - End - #200

"Indeed. Faillune was a well respected one of our number, until his passing. As he approached his end, he... strayed from the balance. His final forging was the moon-forged blood crescent, and by doing so he forced my hand to make a sun-crafted weapon in opposition. Something I cannot forgive him for.

His experience with metal was legendary, even amongst us, as was his knowledge of arms and battle. Something addled his mind whilst Raenis wielded him, though I never found out what, I suspect he struck a Vendigo.
    "

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesha watches and listens carefully, but for now he does not speak.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Noj Onadare
    A smile, half relieved, half vicious comes to Noj's chapped lips.
    "Ah, now we're on firmer ground here; The stories I know are of the Wendigo, not of spirits and weapons. No survivors...Aye, I can return that favor to the Wendigo, an' I'm only too happy to do it! But a bit of rest before..." Noj staggers a little. Ah yes, that was right; He'd sprinted miles and slain a giant today after fighting a group of lizardmen above a lake of fire. Maybe that's why he was so...tired...
    The Avalancher catches himself tipping over again.
    "Aye, some rest. And then...we hunt!"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

"Wait a moment... 'Blood Cresent' was a name given to a legendary member of the blood hunt are you suggesting that Faillune is the weapon wielded by the Reaver?" She looks to Faillune and back at the dvarf.
    "This old soul would not know that. After all, what happens in Shatterhorn stays in Shatterhorn, am I right?" Thyr looks at the weapon, not the least bit amused. "So then. You mentioned something about Faillune being clobbered. You kind of made a distinction between two Faillunes. There's my original maker and then there's me. So which got his mind altered, but I can tell you that I am phys- err... Mentally fit as a bull auroch."
    "How would striking a wendigo change them, be it weapon or dvarf?"

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

Ingvar looks on with interest... never did he hink he would witness a conversation between a broken war-pick and a statue.

25. - Top - End - #205

"A weapon of that shape is called a blood crescent, we made very few. Though I cannot tell you what your legends refer too, Failune was given to the Cadinoc to guard - it was their bane after all - so it seems likely that it was this one, or one copied from it."
    The stone eyes flicker over the metal shards as Failune speaks, and quickly come back to Thyr.
    "There is only one, though his mortal name I will not speak. When we leave our husks, we enter something crafted by our best endeavour, suitable to hold our souls for eternity.
    The Vendigo are bound with sorcery. Runic protection and wardings, and some retribution. Or it could be that spirits in their service did this harm. We may never know.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Helfdan View Post
    Ingvar looks on with interest... never did he hink he would witness a conversation between a broken war-pick and a statue.
    Up til about January, I never would have thought so either ;)

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

Jyn listens intently to the conversation. She agrees with Noj that rest would be good for her, but it would also give her a chance to communicate with the lizard people and learn more of their history. Oh, the stories she is acruing, her nana would be jealous.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Thyr nods slowly.
    "Rest will be wise, and so too will it give me time to try and return Faillune to some semblance of its former self. Would you be able to help with this, earth wright? If not as the maker then as a guide?"
    "If I recall, we have some good quality metal with which to remake my body, but we're going to need a forge and someone who know's what they're doing."

28. - Top - End - #208

Life continues amongst the community dwelling in the caves. You estimate at least as many people are here as in the village in the valley, several hundreds.

The spirit of the dvarf, newly embodied in the statue, has many questions for the lizards too it seems, and you gather from their conversation that this spirit has not been to Mittelheim before. This volcano was legendary to the dvarf of the far East, and he is curious to be here.

The people about are no longer curious and they leave you be as they go about their business, and while the only translator is in discussion.

Oak indicates the group of dead warriors behind a hide curtain and invites Jyn to return their skin and flesh to them before their final rites are performed. Without speaking your language he indicates that he understands Jyn, and many of the words that the other speak as well.

Surprisingly the people's looks and gestures are not complex to understand and they make their invitations well known as the Ringed Forest people offer you some hospitality, though they do not go out of their way to see to your comfort.
    A cavern down a short passage to the north-east has cracks that let cool air inside, releasing the sweltering heat of the mountain. The overall effect is refreshing, yet still warm enough to shed layers of fur and be safe.

In here is a pool of water and a large flat rock, to which several bundles of food are brough along with clean furs. The lizards wander in and out with varying armfuls, as though they decided to provide for you and no one instructed them.
    Their food consists of roots and fungus from within the caverns. There are also grubs and worms that are most likely very meaty and nutritious, as long as their taste is not questioned.

Despite your best efforts, sleep cannot be avoided and even a short rest turns into a short doze.
    Perhaps an hour passes until you hear noises from the main chamber. Metal tools and an avil are assembled alongside the lava lake. A pick has been used to break the soil to half-form a pit and a sack of sand sits nearby. Water is being drawn to be by the anvil, but it is a long process.

Those of you who continue to rest release the immense strain that you have been through in the day. The journey up the mountain since your near death at the Tower. The exhausting heat of the mountain, the shock of the mystical creatures you have seen, and the trauma of so many deaths close to you - it is all much that your minds will consider when they have the freedom to savour the thoughts.

For now you feel safe enough, but some unease that there is much to be decided, and that more is expected of you.
    Last edited by Gygaxphobia; 2008-05-08 at 05:52 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar smiles gratefully on seeing the pool of water. He comandeers an old cooking vessel and moves a bit away from the others - inwardly laughing as he considers it is now too late for modesty - and washes the scent of blood, sweat, and combat from his body. He washes his furs as well, knowing the heat of the cavern will soon dry them. He then settles down in his bedroll, nodding off to sleep as he thinks about trying to find some leathers or hide, to fashion at least a tunic... these simple tasks allow him to forget he seems to be the last of a race of wolf-men...

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

Roots and lichen were not foreign to the Cadinoc diet when outlying villages were lean, Mynas has little trouble stomaching those, of course, the worms are a lot less appetizing to consider. Wrapped around the fungi and quickly downed and the taste covered by a gnaw of root, Thyr eats in silence.
    She takes some time to study the furs that are pro-offered and determines to mend some of clothes. The armour would have to wait, likely discarded and exchanged for some ring mail.
    She watches silently as Ingvar collects water and departs from the group to wash. Thyr agreed that she smelled bad too, but just like Ingvar she was more for modesty among the cadre. She turned back to her inspection of a fur while resting her back against the cave wall. Eventually sleep overtook her, the fur becoming a blanket in her lap.
    She entered a dreamless sleep, one without Iron Mongers, Cadinoc, nor monsters.
    "Psst! Thyr, prick'n sound." Faillune hissed. The raider tongue caused Thyr to jolt awake, her eyes snapping open and scanning the room. Faillune mumbled something from within Thyr's pack. Carefully she pulled it open. Unfazed, the weapon whispered, "You hear that?" Thyr cocked her head and heard the commotion outside. Throwing the blanket back into the pile, she got up and carried Faillune with her to the source of the sound.
    She sticks to one wall as she enters the main chamber and watches with quiet interest as the lizards prepared the smithy. She felt like a child again, watching with the same silent attention that she gave her mother and the other Wyrds as they wound their charms, spoke their mantras, and brothed various concoctions. Mynas leaned against the wall and quietly watched and remembered.