New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: (SW Saga)Old Republic Commando(IC)

Noodo

"How many people man this base? It seems to be that a covert option here would be best. Any large scale action taken too early would result in a message being sent. Without further intelligence we won't be able to plan a strike that won't result in us being made."

Noodo, pockets the credit chip he was playing with earlier and glances towards Alex. If she can trick the computers into receiving a false confirmation, maybe she could trick them into redirecting there comms else where, atleast long enough to give us breathing room in the attack.
    Muttering his thoughts in Huttese.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Alex. Could you redirect there comm systems during the attack?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Alex
    Alex twirls her hair thoughtfully at Noodo's musings.
    Huttese:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Oh, and maybe give them someone to talk to if they try to open a two-way HoloNet connection? Good idea. Like I said before though, I don't know what kind of a setup they've got or if they're smart enough to figure it out in time. But why aren't we saying this in Basic?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

3. - Top - End - #33

Noodo

Giving a half a smile
    Huttese
    Spoiler
    Show

"If they can't follow along, they can't stuff up the operation."

Before switching back to basic
    "But you have a point. Would it work, assuming you know there system, and could we do it from a distance?"
    Last edited by WrathOfLife; 2008-03-06 at 07:57 PM. Reason: /////

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

As the team practices their Huttese... {{ Which won't be an overly secure means of communications in this campaign as you are up against the Hutts }} a crewman comes in and stops in front of the commander. The young Rodian glances around quickly and salutes. The commander returns the gesture and takes a datapad from the crewman, who then turns to leave.

The commander says, "Excellent." He taps out something on the datapad and an image appears on the wall display while he talks. Image

The commander answers the question regarding the shuttle first, "This moon has an atmosphere, but we've detected no other life. I suspect, the shuttle brings in food, water, and replacement troops. It shouldn't be any concern of yours, we'll take care of the naval maneuvers."

Turning back to the display, he says, "As you can see the outpost is small, although we suspect there are underground tunnels and possibly a much larger complex than is shown here." Pointing to the far right structure, he says, "This is the hangar bay, which will be empty during this mission, but you should probably double check that to be safe."

The commander points to the upper left structure and says, "This seems to hold several wheeled ground vehicles that they use to during a daily patrol. The intel here suggests the patrol happens at the local noontime, when the atmosphere is most tolerable."

The commander indicates the bottom structure and says, "This building would seem to house the antenna and command center, although, as I indicated, quite a bit of the actual command center may be underground. We also suspect that is where the barracks and other support buildings are located."

The commander turns to Noodo and says, "Excellent question. The patrols seem to be composed of 4 Gamorreans. Our shots of the hangar bay contained 2 Gamorreans and 2 Humans. Beyond that is purely speculation, but based on the size of the shuttle and the frequency of supply runs, there could be 100-200 personnel here."

The commander then says with a calm voice, "Of course, not all of them would be combatants and would probably be divided into several work shifts, so the majority of the personnel should be sleeping or off duty. If I know Gamorreans, that means they'll be drunk."

The commander pauses, ready to handle more questions, then says, "Ah, for reference, the hanger building is about 50 meters north to south."
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2008-03-06 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Added scale
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Alex
    "Any idea what kind of communication setup they've got there, or am I going to have to look for myself?" Alex asks. "How much contact do the patrol vehicles keep with the base? Is their security tight enough that they'd notice their patrol vehicles being piloted by us? I speak Gammorean if they're going to expect audio communications, and I can try to make a fake video or holo feed if I have to."
    Spoiler
    Show
    [ooc]Assuming that sending a doctored signal works like altering the data from a recorder, of course. She won't mention anything about it if it's impossible, unfeasible, or simply likely to take so long that it won't fit in the timetable.[/ooc]
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

The commander smiles and then says, "You don't look much like Gamorrean, so you'd better have one heckuva disguise. We haven't gotten any images of the vehicle bay internals. The bay doors are left open while the patrol is out, so I doubt the security is that tight."

The commander leans into the wall display and says, "As you can see, they've got a dish for intersellar comms and a local antenna for commlinks on top of the southern building. I suspect they maintain communications with the patrol during its route, but we don't know. The probe droid detected local signals, but they were encrypted and it didn't have the capability to record or decrypt them."
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

7. - Top - End - #37

Tasst

Adjusting his cannon in a more comfortable position, the Trandoshan sits and listens to the rest of the debriefing quietly, letting others ask the intel questions. His task is generally a simple one: blow things up. Granted, he is capable of a few other things as well, and he isn't unintelligent by any means, but destruction is something he enjoys most.

Glancing over the map, he comments. "Disguise or no, it will be hard to approach the base unseen; they have a decent view of the surrounding area for near fifty meters in every direction. The patrol may still be a best bet."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

The commander looks in disgust at the Trandoshan and offers, "Our probe droid doesn't show much in the way of windows or view ports on these structures. The do have a few security cameras, here, here, here, and here." He indicates the NE corner of the hangar bay, the SE corner of the hangar bay, the SW corner of the command center, and the NW corner of the vehicle building. He then pulls up a zoom on one of them which shows it slowly panning left to right. He says, "Each of these covers 270 degree field of view and take about 2 minutes to pan from the far left to right and back again."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Alex
    "Well, I'd say we have a great disguise and it's name is Ssr'ist, but the patrol building probably has to report in periodically. We could kill the people they have to report to, but this is turning into one of those plans where we kill everyone who notices we're killing people, and I hate those plans." Alex muses aloud. "Is there a blind spot there between the buildings? Are the cameras set up so that each given spot is covered as many times as possible in the 2 minute interval, or so that there's often overlap between the field of vision of two cameras?"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

The rodian looks back and forth between the display and then datapad and then declares, "It looks like there are large gaps in covarage. The cameras have a narrow field of view, maybe 30-40 degrees. The cameras also appear to be angled downward a fair bit. Because of the downward angle, their field of vision only extends maybe 50 meters from the buildings themselves. " Using his pointer to demonstrate on the display, he shows how that, when the cameras are aimed to the corners, there are huge gaps of viewable terrain which allows you to walk right up to the buildings(assuming you can cover the 50 meters in a minute or two.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

James

It's interesting thinking there but I think you're contradicting yourself a bit Alex. Half the stuff you're talking about are things that I might be able to do if I got lucky and had time. Anyways looking at the map it would appear that southwest could be the best option for approach. If you'll look at the map there is a hill or dip of some sort there that could prove effective cover. If it is a dip in the terrain it would make the hill further back in that direction an excellent vantage point for observation or my marksmanship talents. I think the safest bet though would be to have Alex go first. Once she got close enough I'm sure she could access the camera system and arrange for loop back footage to cover our approach. Assuming we have something like their uniform we could arrange a disguise so even if they have base patrols she could merely say she was performing maintenance on the camera system and also work as a inside caller for our approach letting us know when the best time to avoid any base patrols would be.

On another note since we have so many people we may not want to have everyone go in. two or three unfamiliar faces can be played off but eight or nine is a real stretch. Something I learned from the few visits I made with my father to speak with Bothans was that you should always have backups for backups and a plan at least 3 steps ahead. I'm not sure of everyone's skills yet so I can't really work out who should do what but I at least know that Alex can do a LOT to help our cause from the inside. I could back her up or provide cover from outside with my rifle. Right now I'd like to hear some of your opinions about how to handle this. The sooner we know how each other's habits and preferred means of operation the better off we'll be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged One View Post
    Actually, Tarrasques are merely an extremely endangered species. They reproduce by spontaniously coming into existance when people piss off the DM.
    CRPG Rules: http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

The commander nods at James and says, "Also.. although the terrain appears smooth on this overhead display, the terrain is very rocky and provides ample cover." The commander changes the display to show a closeup of the side of the hill, which is littered with boulders, rocks and such.

The commander then says, "We don't have any uniforms like theirs. You may need to capture or borrow a few if you want to use that option. You are welcome to plan as much as you like so long as you are done when we get there. We need to clean this outpost out so the rest of the fleet can move through undetected." The command checks the datapad again and says, "So, you've got an hour."

13. - Top - End - #43

Noodo

Turning to consider james for a moment, he stares at his face trying to work out what he was planning, before responding.

"I have skills in mid to long range shooting. I'm good at both not being seen, and seeing what others do not want me too. I however am also Rodian and as we haven't seen any Rodian's on the surface, I do not believe I should head in with the first team. Maybe be used in a support role."

Noodo kinks his head towards Alex.

"Looks like you've won the job of point man, try not to enjoy yourself too much, I do want to kill somthing down there."
    Last edited by WrathOfLife; 2008-03-07 at 09:34 PM. Reason: sah, lack of sleep = bad spelling

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Alex
    "You're sure that all 4 cameras have the same specs?" Alex asks. "Do they have any way to look at the paths between the buildings besides going out the door and yelling if they see anyone?" She listens to James' plan and tries to determine the feasibility of it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    [ooc]Take 10 on Knowledge(Technology) for 20 to see if it's possible to have the camera send a 2 minute loop from the camera itself(rather than the security room) with this kind of camera, maybe also altering the timestamp if it gives one.[/ooc]

If James' plan seems like it'll work, she says "Good idea, Jim. We can just stun some sucker around my size for the uniform. What should I do to signal for you to shoot someone? Yelling 'shoot this chuba muncher' is pretty likely to be detected." Whether the plan will work or not, she asks, "What do you mean I'm contradicting myself? And what's with all the flattery?"

Noodo's comment seems to annoy Alex. "Yeah, I'm really going to start killing people on my own even though every single one of you looks like you'd be better in a lightfight than I am. If we end up killing people, I'm going to call as many of you as I can get in first."
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-03-07 at 09:06 PM. Reason: tags

15. - Top - End - #45

Noodo

Tilting his head further Noodo's eyes gain a slight darkness to them. So not a fighter after all, surely she can't be a non-com...

Before a slight apologetic smile appears on his face, he speaks in a soft voice ment for her ears only.
    Huttese
    Spoiler
    Show

Of course, my apologies.

Before leaning back in his chair ready to let the officers work out the finer points of the battle plan.
    Last edited by WrathOfLife; 2008-03-07 at 10:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Myles

Myles is a little muddled at Alex's plan , specially as at least half of it was delivered in some foreign language, at least he hopes half of it was cause the other half seemed a bit obscure.

He speaks to James,"LT, I specialize in planned deconstruction Sir, that is demolitions, Sir. Big, small, moving, stationary you call it, I can make it go bang. Big bang, small bang, bang on time Sir. I'm your man."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

The commander says, "As you can see from these shots, the cameras all seem to be tied to the same commands. They all go left, they all go right, they all go left, and so on."

The commander then changes the view points to so the walls of the building facing the paths and says, "I don't see any windows or camera. It is possible they have sensors buried in the ground or embedded in the walls." The shot zooms into one door which has a small computer terminal next to it. The commander says, "We didn't see many people use these paths, but when they do, they use the terminal beside the door to make it open. Probably some sort of authentication system."

{{ You could make the camera feed loop by tapping the feed, recording some to a datapad and then overriding it back replacing the real signal. You would have to have physical access to the camera to get at the feed... so you'd have to be on top of the building. }}

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Alex
    "What are their patrol routes? That camera looks like it's only accessible from the roof, so if there's a window where they won't see a speeder go and drop me on the roof it'll work, but if there isn't...is the roof accessible from the inside?" She realizes something. "Actually, if we can get on the roof without them noticing, Myles might as well just blow the antenna right the feth then and have the team kill the repair crews. I'll have to get to a computer with access to their network so I can look at a list of everyone there and make sure everyone who knows how to fix their interstellar antenna is dead, though. I don't like that plan, but if it'll work then my personal preferences don't really matter."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

The commander shakes his head and says, "They would detect the signature of the landing craft if you attempted to get that close and hop onto the roof. Normal speeders, if you managed to find one, can't hover that high. You'd need an aircar or something similar."

The commander adjust the shots again and says, "There is a fair amount of equipment on the roof, looks like air circulators, and such. Ah, there it is, a hatch. So, yes, the roof is accessible from inside. I don't see any handles or anything on the outside, so you might have to blow it open or cut it open."

The commander then restores the normal top down view and says, "The patrols are very erratic. The paths near the base are well worn, but beyond those nearby hills they follow no pattern. They go out and come back and go out and around and back and out and such for about an hour."

20. - Top - End - #50

Myles

"Sir, If I may?" Myles says to the commander, receiving a nod he continues. "It seems in every situation we will need to isolate the base's communications. If we ambush a patrol then there's a chance that those back at the base will be alerted, either through not getting an expected communication, or hearing blaster fire, if we take a foot patrol too close to the base. I think we'll need to make sure that whatever route we choose we need to have at least a small team to make straight for the antenna and disable it as first priority."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

The commander nods and replies to Myles, "I agree. It would seem that you should, at the very least, disable the various antennae first before doing anything more.... dramatic." He pauses and says, "The antennae may not be in use at that moment and so that act of sabotage may go unnoticed while you execute whatever the second part of your plan it."

22. - Top - End - #52

Noodo

Content to simple sit and listen to the officers and grunts bang out a plan. Noodo considers the OIC's last statment. And if it is in use, Mission failed. They'll know we've shut down there listening post and will start preparing defences. Readjusting his seating slightly, Noodo prepares himself for a long hour of sitting and pretending to pay attention.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Well, seems to me we've got a lot of systems we best be worrying about. Security cameras, sensors, communications, and who knows what defenses. As I see it, they all share the same dependency; power. As ya said, there are likely underground structures, but regardless there has to be a generator somewhere, hoy? Knock that outta commision and we're in a lot better place than we were. Covert or overt, is there a feasible way to take it down, do ya all think?

And I'm nothing special. What ya see is what ya get. I shoot this here blaster and lob grenades at the things that are left standing.
    Characters [ Krad | Tinn ]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Alex
    "Well, they're going to notice when they lose power, so we might as well just set up some detonite on the generator, kill everyone who knows how to fix it, send a signal to blow the detonite, get out, and kill everyone who tries to stop us from getting out. But we don't know if they've got redundant power supplies or maybe even a separate one for their interstellar communication dish. That's a good idea given what we know, though." Alex says. "Well, I guess we won't be able to plan as well if we don't all know what each other can do. Remember what I said about not hearing anything, Jim?" Her mouth twists into a broad, creepy grin and she glares up at him. "I lied. Alex Chandra, alias Slicer Sovereign, at your service." She mockingly bows her head a bit. She reverts to her previous manner. "Anyway, I'm gonna need to slice into admin access of their network and get a floor plan and the employee database, sorry, I mean the personnel database. If they've got someone in charge of network security, they'll probably notice, but hopefully they'll just figure I'm just some koochoo trying to get into someone else's personal data until I start locking them out and or making things near them overload explosively. Or I could just trace their location and we could kill them while they're busy trying to stop me. If we grab someone and threaten to kill them if they don't give us their login codes, that'll reinforce it. Then again, that assumes they even have their computers networked. If they don't, we'll have to go with that plan I hate where we kill everyone who notices that we're killing people until we find a computer with a floor plan."
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-03-09 at 02:49 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

The commander says, "If you knock out the power, I don't think their computers will be online to access. You may want to get the floor plans first. We don't have any intelligence on their power systems, so you may need the floor plan in order to find them."

A klaxon goes off and the commander says, "That's the five minute warning before we drop out of hyperspace. It's your lives on the line and you know your capabilities better than I do, so I'm not going to tell you what to do. You've got all our intelligence. I'm needed in CIC. LT, they are yours. You need to be in the launch bay in 15 minutes. Please be prompt." With that, the commander stands and exits the room.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

James

May not be in use is a bit of a gamble isn't it? We have no idea what kind of backups they may have or if there is a schedule to maintain for communications. What would be best is if we had some record of how often they sent reports. You mentioned the probe droid could detect but not listen in on them, do you have a record of the timestamps of those messages?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged One View Post
    Actually, Tarrasques are merely an extremely endangered species. They reproduce by spontaniously coming into existance when people piss off the DM.
    CRPG Rules: http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

The commander says as he was about to leave the commander says, "Its all there, but it I recall, they haven't made any transmissions in the last 11 days. Only local broadcasts, which, as I mentioned, were encrypted. As this outpost is supposed to be secret, sending lots of messages would probably give it away. They probably send reports out on the shuttle." With that, the commander nods to James and Noodo and exits.

You can continue to examine the data(by asking questions), but the commander isn't there and your time is nearly up.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2008-03-09 at 01:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Well, if we can get the floor plans, and if we can locate the generator, and if it looks like a clean way of knocking out several systems at once, it's something to consider. If not... Tinn shrugs ...we break everything and everyone one-by-one, as planned. Unless anyone else has an idea, I think we'll be playing it by ear after we've landed, hoy?
    Characters [ Krad | Tinn ]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Alex
    Alex waits until the commander is out of earshot. "'We have to get the floor plan before we knock out the power?' Henceforth, he shall be known as Commander Obvious. Your Sovereign decrees it." She stands up and prepares to walk to the hanger with whoever starts doing so. "Since the others are calling you LT, I guess that means you're the boss now, Jim. Who's goin' down there?"

30. - Top - End - #60

Myles

"Might have something to do with that pip there Alex. You know, the one that says he's the officer." Myles says to her with a grin while tapping the Lieutenant's insignia on James' uniform.