New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Banned

Default Re: Anti-Heroes: Vol. II

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    I dunno, I'm pretty sure Finx is not a main antagonist. Rather a secondary antagonist.
    thank you for pointing out the obvious, he is still needed for antagonistic things

2. - Top - End - #782
    Barbarian in the Playground

Issue 78!

I also realize that Andil's legs have the same deal, but let's say he's bow-legged or something.
    Last edited by Zarah; 2008-04-27 at 02:08 PM.
    [ There was a signature here. It's gone now. ]

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't you hate it when that happens?

By the way, in terms of the Sorting Algorithm of Evil, I would peg Finx as the Dragon to Aldran's brother. But that's just a guess.
    Last edited by FoE; 2008-04-27 at 02:21 PM.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ettin in the Playground

<3..........

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

Very good comic. Finx is a very good villain. Not like good as in a good guy, but good as in entertaining and makes sense, well kinda. That's not really the meaning of good, but his is a good character, but not like good as in.... you get what I'm trying to say.

Yay for villains!
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #786
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Yay for villains!
    Yay indeed... (evil laughter ensues)
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

7. - Top - End - #787
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zarah View Post
    Where is the update, .. http://ah.indolents.com/
    That's a very nice website,
    and you have set yourself a quite ambitious schedule.

Best wishes !
    Last edited by hajo; 2008-04-27 at 09:26 PM.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post

Don't you hate it when that happens?

By the way, in terms of the Sorting Algorithm of Evil, I would peg Finx as the Dragon to Aldran's brother. But that's just a guess.
    Naw, the Dragon has to be physically powerful, while we've already been told that Finx is a wimp, even with magic.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    Naw, the Dragon has to be physically powerful, while we've already been told that Finx is a wimp, even with magic.
    They definitly dont have to be physically powerfull, just powerfull. Redcloak as been confirmed as Xykon Dragon and he sure as hell aint physically strong.

And anyone able to cast Weird isnt a wimp. Its just that Aldran is so freaking powerfull that anyone else then a Demi-god is a wimp for him. Finx could easely kill Lana, Keriss and Kaal.
    Last edited by Querzis; 2008-04-27 at 09:44 PM.
    In memory of lord Shojo

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Querzis View Post
    They definitly dont have to be physically powerfull, just powerfull. Redcloak as been confirmed as Xykon Dragon and he sure as hell aint physically strong.

And anyone able to cast Weird isnt a wimp. Its just that Aldran is so freaking powerfull that anyone else then a Demi-god is a wimp for him. Finx could easely kill Lana, Keriss and Kaal.
    Sorry. By physically I meant by themselves--as in, able to kill you in one on one.

And maybe. You've already underscored my point but Aldran says here that Finx isn't very smart (bad for a wizard) or tough in a fight.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    Sorry. By physically I meant by themselves--as in, able to kill you in one on one.

And maybe. You've already underscored my point but Aldran says here that Finx isn't very smart (bad for a wizard) or tough in a fight.
    Maybe he aint smart but I'm ready to eat nails if hes a wizard, I thought it was quite obvious he was a sorcerer, he show some really good charisma. Hell, Aldran told everyone they coudnt just imprison him in 74 even if its really easy to neutralize a wizard, just take their damn spellbook.

As for the toughness, maybe when he was alive but now hes a lich. I dont think Keriss, Lana or Kaal could even hurt him.
    Last edited by Querzis; 2008-04-27 at 10:08 PM.
    In memory of lord Shojo

12. - Top - End - #792
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, we've already seen he can be dismembered.

Also, site update. I did an upgrade yesterday that had the site down for a bit. Now the "always hide/show" feature will work longer (hopefully), and image validation for comments is no longer necessary after you post more than three comments on the same computer. I didn't receive any complaints about this, but I figured I should do it to make both of our lives' easier. Plus, I want to encourage people to use the comments more, so hopefully it'll be less of a hassle without the image validation.
    Last edited by Crahen; 2008-04-29 at 11:02 AM.
    Crahen/Crazed Ewok/Crazed/Chris
    anti-HEROES - Unity -
    Anti-World

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't there an update today too?

14. - Top - End - #794
    Pixie in the Playground

Yep! I'm excited.
    Crahen/Crazed Ewok/Crazed/Chris
    anti-HEROES - Unity -
    Anti-World

15. - Top - End - #795

There is indeed an update today, and I've got it mostly done. I'm heading out for lunch here in a few minutes, but as soon as I get back, I'll put the finishing touches on and have it up.

EDIT: And there it is.
    Last edited by Zarah; 2008-04-29 at 03:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Bugbear in the Playground

I love this comic, it's the most prolific and entertaining on the boards, at least at the moment. The one thing I dislike is that the "heroes" as you call them aren't at all likable or sympathetic. They don't even seem much like heroes to me, rather a couple adventurers looking for revenge against the cool, fleshed-out characters. I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I really actually wouldn't mind if the comic never cut back to Andil and Laldera, and just continued on with Dave, Finx, and the anti-Heroes.

That said, Aldran is a riot and really well-written, Kaalinor plays an excellent idiot, Keriss and Lana are fun and I love the Dave-Finx dynamic. You continue to come up with great, original material. Keep up the good work.

byrd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    Just checking... you do realize that when someone puts a funny hat on, they don't instantly split into two separate people, right?

17. - Top - End - #797
    Dwarf in the Playground

I love the new site. The colors work well for the comic. Keep up the good work.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mockingbyrd7 View Post
    I love this comic, it's the most prolific and entertaining on the boards, at least at the moment. The one thing I dislike is that the "heroes" as you call them aren't at all likable or sympathetic. They don't even seem much like heroes to me, rather a couple adventurers looking for revenge against the cool, fleshed-out characters. I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I really actually wouldn't mind if the comic never cut back to Andil and Laldera, and just continued on with Dave, Finx, and the anti-Heroes.
    They're "heroes" in name only, in that they wouldn't be attacked on sight by "good" characters like Lana or Keriss. But I think that's the point: they're not supposed to be likeable.

I wouldn't expect to see them go any time soon: I've come to think of them as the Team Rocket of this comic, the tireless minor villains who are just a prelude to the real Big Bads.

19. - Top - End - #799

Quote Originally Posted by mockingbyrd7 View Post
    That's more or less what I was aiming for. Andil, Laldera and their little clique are supposed to be the stereotypical heroes of the story, in that they would commonly be known as the ones that fight the bad guy, save the world and be recognized as the good guys. But instead of following that out, I've completely subverted the fact by making them annoying, unsympathetic and all-around dysfunctional. At the moment, it seems like they're just on the run, but they will be playing a larger role in the future, much as actual heroes in such a story would, which includes expanding a little on their own backstories.

I'd also like to point out that this first act of the comic was mostly so I could establish the characters as they are and throw some hints of things to come. Now, the focus will shift more to exploring the world as a whole, and trying to create a picture of just what's been going on outside the lonely mountain range. And believe me, there's a lot.

20. - Top - End - #800

Quote Originally Posted by Zarah View Post
    But instead of following that out, I've completely subverted the fact by making them annoying, unsympathetic and all-around dysfunctional.
    Isn't that the average group of heroes all over?!

TRAF Awards

Spoiler
    Show
    I fought The Mysterious Circle of Shadowy Chairs in Discworld I (Dei in Machina) till the end, won the game and survived and all I got is this lousy signature line.

Thanks Banjo1985 for Count Catula!

21. - Top - End - #801

Issue 80 is up. ...Can't think of anything else to say.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just realized, this is officially the 800th reply to this thread. Now that's a weird coincidence...
    Last edited by Zarah; 2008-05-01 at 02:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ettin in the Playground

Happy tent is happy

23. - Top - End - #803
    Firbolg in the Playground

Glad I'm not one of them.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Orc in the Playground

Well, the thing with the heroes is that they're not only totally unsympathetic and dysfunctional (so are Belkar and Xykon, too, for example), but that you don't really want to read about them. They just can't compare to Team Aldran or Finx.

It's fine at the moment, because they're travelling with Finx and because #80 was great, though
    Last edited by Zordrath; 2008-05-01 at 04:01 PM.
    "Sacrifing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zordrath View Post
    Well, the thing with the heroes is that they're not only totally unsympathetic and dysfunctional (so are Belkar and Xykon, too, for example), but that you don't really want to read about them. They just can't compare to Team Aldran or Finx.

It's fine at the moment, because they're travelling with Finx and because #80 was great, though
    So your argument is that you don't want to see them because they aren't as awesome?

That's a pretty subjective reason, there must be some people that equally prefer them over Team Aldran.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Orc in the Playground

Well, yes, the subjective reason is that they're not as awesome, but that's an opinion not everyone might share.

However, it's not only about awesomeness. The heroes have been shown to be utter jackasses and haven't displayed as much funnyness as the other teams. They also have been clearly established to be NO threat at all (they were defeated with very little effort, and since then, their numbers have decreased and Keriss has switched sides). So all in all, they seem kinda pointless.

That is, again, just a personal opinion, as you said, and I still love the comic. I just think its awesomeness should be more equally distributed among its cast
    "Sacrifing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, the spooning should help them grow together as a team.

Really great comic, Zarah. I'll laugh when they find out in the morning that Hilmor suffocated.
    Last edited by FoE; 2008-05-01 at 05:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'm going to go ahead and in style with OOTS section forum talk make a crazy prediction based on limited evidence!

But I dunno, it's pretty implied.

Comments on strip 12:
    And before anyone complains about Lana's bad multi-classing, there is good reason for it in the future.
    I'd say that is pretty significant hinting towards a prestige class. I looked around for PrCs that are rogue/wizard, and there aren't many. (There's a thread on it in the gaming section). One of the most obvious would be Arcane Trickster...

Zarah could be pulling a Dashing Swordsman and making a new PrC. We'll see.

It's either that or her wizardliness is required as part of Aldran's prophecy.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-05-01 at 06:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

This may be a bit out of season and I know I screwed up the outfit but...easter Lana.

Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by me. Coloring by Crimmy.

Come one, come all! My Drawngs! Here!!!

My Deviant Art Page: Turayl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWilliam View Post
    Man, every time you think 'could this stuff POSSIBLY get any cooler,' Vulion takes yet another level in Badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredthefighter View Post
    Thanks Vulion, you're awesome.
    Vulion, Awesome Incarnate, coming to an art request near you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
    Also, I'm surprised this thread hasn't exploded due to over-awesomeness yet Vul.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Smokin! awesome!