New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Wadledo's Weirdly Warbling Watercress Watching Washing Machine Only Random Banter

One of the more frightening spirits I've ever heard of is the Wendigo, which was well-known to the Indian tribes here in Canada. The Wendigo is a spirit that supposedly appears as a fifteen-foot tall decaying corpse whose flesh is stretched tight over its bones. Its countenance is not what is frightening, however; the wendigo can possess people and fill them with an undeniable hunger for human flesh. The wendigo most often surfaced in times of hardship when food is scarce, and humans who have previously resorted to cannibalism are the most susceptible to it. Suicide was a preferable option to being possessed by a wendigo, and many of those who were killed themselves.

There's at least one famous case of a wendigo possession that I know of. About an hour's drive from where I live an Indian trapper named Swift Runner was hanged after supposedly being possessed by a wendigo when he ran out of food. Despite being only 25 miles away from a nearby fort where he could gain access to emergency supplies, Swift Runner was compelled not only to butcher his wife, but all of his five young children, and eat them...
    Last edited by FoE; 2008-03-27 at 02:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Wadledo's Weirdly Warbling Watercress Watching Washing Machine Only Random Banter

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    One of the more frightening spirits I've ever heard of is the Wendigo, which was well-known to the Indian tribes here in Canada. The Wendigo is a spirit that supposedly appears as a fifteen-foot tall decaying corpse whose flesh is stretched tight over its bones. Its countenance is not what is frightening, however; the wendigo can possess people and fill them with an undeniable hunger for human flesh. The wendigo most often surfaced in times of hardship when food is scarce, and humans who have previously resorted to cannibalism are the most susceptible to it. Suicide was a preferable option to being possessed by a wendigo, and many of those who were killed themselves.

There's at least one famous case of a wendigo possession that I know of. About an hour's drive from where I live an Indian trapper named Swift Runner was hanged after supposedly being possessed by a wendigo when he ran out of food. Despite being only 25 miles away from a nearby fort where he could gain access to emergency supplies, Swift Runner was compelled not only to butcher his wife, but all of his five young children, and eat them...
    Nice, but not really scary. And I've heard too many variations on the wendigo story.
    I may hold a competition where people try to scare me by telling ghost stories.
    But I wish I could remember the story about the Scandinavian baies exposed to die or the one where that Swedish (?) woman goes to attend Christmas Mass but finds out that the Mass was attended by those who had died.
    Or the one about what happens to children who are unbaptised and die.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

3. - Top - End - #183

Where did the ghost stories and Ghostly avatars come from? Is there some big event I missed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

you know these days it seems like there is always some theme or event or something going down. not that's a bad thing.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #185

No event.
    Just a discussion. And as for events . . . *glances at sig*
    That's all.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

*Pwenet officially enters Geekgasm mode*

My "A Song of Ice and Fire" prints arrived today.
    My DM Reputation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspectre
    I'm good at making you fear the unknown. Pwenet is good at making you fear the known, which had been the unknown five minutes before he pushed you off screaming into the abyss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    I'm feeling this real hard now.
    Curse you, Pwenet. Curse you.... You had my hopes up there...

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Curly, would you be interested in starting a scary story thread at some point, like the mythical beast one we made a few months back? Would be pretty cool.

And yeah, wendigos are really creepy. Great episode of supernatural involving one.

(by the way any of you into things like buffy, or in to supernatural stuff should check out the show "supernatural")
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

8. - Top - End - #188
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

I learned a valuable lesson today: Never buy a mouse from the people who made your refrigerator.

I got a new computer mouse about a month ago, and it worked perfectly well until now. What happened? Well, all of a sudden, it starts failing! It sounds like it's being disconnected and reconnected all the time, and all of a sudden, Windows says it can't recognize it anymore because it's Malfunctioning. I'm not sure if I can blame it on the computer, which is filled with virus, but I think it's mostly the fact that it's a mouse from General Electric, the people who made the fridge again.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make it work? Or should I just throw it out and start getting a new one? (If so, what's a good brand?)

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by Pwenet View Post
    *Pwenet officially enters Geekgasm mode*

My "A Song of Ice and Fire" prints arrived today.
    CURLY used ENVY attack.
    CURLY has attacked PWENET
    CRITICAL HIT!
    PWENET fainted.
    Super-effective!

That is all you need to know.
    I hope you're happy being severely injured now.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

10. - Top - End - #190

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    CURLY used ENVY attack.
    CURLY has attacked PWENET
    CRITICAL HIT!
    PWENET fainted.
    Super-effective!

That is all you need to know.
    I hope you're happy being severely injured now.
    PWENET auto-casts 'REVIVE'
    PWENET gains +5 HEALTH!
    PWENET AWAKENS!
    PWENET casts "Medic Call."

"MEDIC!" -10 Health -100 Mana

PWENET faints.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Anyone have any ideas on how to make it work? Or should I just throw it out and start getting a new one? (If so, what's a good brand?)
    *BEEP!*

This is Pwenet Computer Geek Personality. Due to a sudden attack on my host I am limited to privative answering machine responses.

In regards to your questions this unit suggests unplugging/replugging it back into the PC. If you wish a new one Logitech makes excellent mice that this unit would recommend.

*BEEP!*
    Last edited by Pwenet; 2008-03-27 at 06:10 PM.
    My DM Reputation
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm good at making you fear the unknown. Pwenet is good at making you fear the known, which had been the unknown five minutes before he pushed you off screaming into the abyss.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

*takes PWENET to the Pokecenter*

Doo Doo doo doo Doo!
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by Pwenet View Post
    PWENET auto-casts 'REVIVE'
    PWENET gains +5 HEALTH!
    PWENET AWAKENS!
    PWENET casts "Medic Call."

"MEDIC!" -10 Health -100 Mana

PWENET faints.
    CURLY gained 50 000XP!
    CURLY gained two ASoIaF prints!

@Cobra: thanks to my sister, whenever I see your name I think of some dog from some anime called Hikari.
    Which is bad. My sisters' anime is corrupting me.
    *takes an anti[insert name of wierd anime] pill and forgets all about it*

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

13. - Top - End - #193

OldWizardGuy

CURLY gained 50 000XP!

@Cobra: thanks to my sister, whenever I see your name I think of some dog from some anime called Hikari.
    PWENET lost 50 000XP!
    PWENET lost two ASoIaF prints!

PWENET casts "Crying"

For Curly
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the company was not so horrible I would never ever order something from them again, I would order you a set of prints.

Cross my heart, hope to die, etc etc I am being dead serious.
    Last edited by Pwenet; 2008-03-27 at 06:36 PM.
    My DM Reputation
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194

Today I watched Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal.

Good movies but seriously I think i'm scarred for life after that one brain scene.
    Spoiler
    Show

Look upon the Goddess and rejoice!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespe Ratavo View Post
    Curly, . . . you are not only made of epic win and not fail, but you are officially the greatest shipper of all time
    Mr. Scruffy is all knowing; he doesn't believe in squid bones, so neither should you!
    Bathatars!Blog!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

CURLY gained 50 000XP!

I think of Evangelion. I'm curious about that bad anime though. It must be something scary if you want to forget about it...

Congratulations on the Womb Liberation of your... uhm... *Curses lack of knowledge of the language* cousin's daughter!!!
    So I herd you liek Mudkipz by Mr. Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to both Mr Saturn and B-Man for their avatars!! Antiform Sora, Haloween Sora, Majora's Mask Link, Wolf Link & Midna, KH Sora and Christmas in July Sora

I was a Custom Title ITP!
    Lucky "Guess the Number" quote:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xykon_Fan View Post
    Great, Radikal fixed the dice...and by fixed, I mean "broke beyond repair and cheats irreparably."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raiser_B1ade View Post

Good movies but seriously I think i'm scarred for life after that one brain scene.
    Maybe I should watch those too. It's surprising how the older horror movies are often a lot more scarier than those of today, with all the latest special effects they have.

17. - Top - End - #197

I had an awesome dream a few nights ago. Some of you may know about the guy in Honduras who starved a dog for "Modern Art", there was a thread on it here. Pretty sick, but it spawned this dream...

At the zoo near my house, they had taken a bunch of kittens and were starving them. Fortunately, I knew a way to sneak into their cage so I could feed them. I snuck in, but the only thing I had to feed them was gummi worms. Most of them ate the worms, but one couldn't because he was diabetic. Later he decided he needed the food enough to warrant eating it. (Whaaa? Diabetic cats? My brain is broken) After I left, I saw a few of them had followed me home, then I woke up.

All in all one of my better dreams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Ooooh, Zak is back!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Death Knight by Threeshades, Werewolf Knight by boomwolf

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kittens in a cage? Heh, it's a bit cruel to put those poor creatures in a zoo when there are plenty of them around, don't you think?

Still, it's good that you can remember your dreams; mine are always pretty wild but I can't remember a thing when I wake up. I should try that writing-down or trying-to-remember-immediately-upon-waking-up trick.

19. - Top - End - #199

OldWizardGuy

SNOW!

Bloody snow after a week where coats were thrown aside and T-shirts were the clothing item of choice!

I wake up to a bloody winter wonderland!

At least the plows are working on keeping the roads drivable and nothing closed.
    My DM Reputation
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200

I just found out the other day that the 4th of April is act like a T-rex day.
    Just knowing this makes me so happy, it's the best day since talk like a pirate day.
    "If I were going to die I would have by now."
    - Grytt

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work: "Hello. Can't work today, still queer." - Robin Tyler

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agamid View Post
    I just found out the other day that the 4th of April is act like a T-rex day.
    Just knowing this makes me so happy, it's the best day since talk like a pirate day.
    Really?

*walks around rawring at things*

^_^
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    *walks around rawring at things*
    how is that different from every other day?

as for rodents... i recomend the MS intellimouse,
    yeah i know "Microsoft suxx" but their mice are more than adequte for the job & they work for... well years

i haven't had one die on me yet... which is more than i can say about the PCs they are connected to!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

23. - Top - End - #203

Hmmm....what is the proper length for male armpit hair??

Am I supposed to trim it or just let it grow out all scraggly?

I know I'm not supposed to put it in a ponytail, but do I have to let it keep getting longer?? This seems odd and kinda icky to me.
    inner circle Legionary of Resiliance
    I love my Ceikatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

Not here as much. I am out Roman around.

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Raiser_B1ade View Post

The brain scene was funny.

All artwork stolen from Bathy

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

*comes in a flops down on the floor*

So...

Very...

Tired.

Edit: @ Llama: Trim it to 1/2 inch or so.
    Last edited by Trog; 2008-03-28 at 09:16 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Edit: @ Llama: Trim it to 1/2 inch or so.
    girls...

i'm trying to do a comb-over with mine!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

27. - Top - End - #207

So . . . scary . . .

Another scary dream: for the third time in less than a year I've dreamt about a place called Bloddenbury or Bredonbury*; most likely a small church, but maybe a vicarige or small manor as well.
    It's so darn realisitic I could even describe the place, and now I'm afraid to google it to see if it's real.

*or variations of. I never saw the name.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2008-03-28 at 09:43 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

^ Good news for you, not a single result on google

Ah, but there is an English town called Bredenbury the church there isn't called that at all though, so it should be alright.
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2008-03-28 at 09:54 AM.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    Ah, but there is an English town called Bredenbury
    . . .
    Oh, bugger.
    That's the damn place. It'll have a church with one of those vicariges attached. It's also probably Victorian.
    I can't believe it's a real place.
    And I don't think I've ever heard of it before now.
    I don't want the dream to be real. It was scary. Also surreal in one sense.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

The actual church there is called St Andrews, so it could just be a coincidence. I don't know much about it, but it's in Herefordshire. I guess it's probably a coincidence, I don't want to worry you unduely!

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn