New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Serenity: Orca Intrepid

I: A Brand New Ship, A Brand New Start

It is a bright and sunny day on Persephone (a little too warm for my tastes if you were to be asking) and the Eavesdown docks are flooded as usual. Peasants, peddlers, and policemen fill the streets as ships fill the air. Barely noticed among the busy swarm a midsized cargo freighter touches down on the docks. Though none of you may have seen it land, it flies clumsily through the air as though the person flying doesn’t really know what they’re doing. When it alights, however, it does so with the grace of a seasoned pilot behind the wheel. After the dust has settled, a door in the main hatch opens and out walks a lion of a man. A mane of yellow hair outlines a chiseled face with wild blue eyes and a grin full of large white teeth and a mustache/goatee combo (basically Robert Plant’s current look, minus being 60). The man walks out to the nearby computer terminal and spends some time typing before returning to his ship. It’s an Orca class freighter with the letters E.F.N.Y. written on the side. Orcas are a newer model and this one barely seems to have seen any space time.

Over the course of the week, you one by one find yourselves drawn to this ship, whether it be by the add in the terminal for crewmen, the need to get off this gorram dirtball, or because the captain lounging lazily in his cargo hold hawks you down. No matter the reason, you one by one approach the ship and are greeted heartily by the man stretched out in a hammock rigged to the railings of his cargo hold. His booming voice matches his built appearance. “Ni How! Looking to sail the verse a spell? I’m looking for crew and passengers before I’m off. If you’re interested, use that terminal out front. It’s got all manners of questions to be answered and forms to be filled, but it’s the only way you get to fly inside Effie here. If you’ve got any questions before you try and sign up, shoot ‘em my way.” Unless you start talking, the man leans back in his hammock and resumes his lazy crowd watching. Depending on what day you stop in at E.F.N.Y. determines how full the cargo hold is. At the beginning of the week it’s nothing special but by the end it is damn near brimming. Curious thing, given that most freelance cargo ships can’t usually find that much shipping.

Orca Class Freighter E.F.N.Y.
    E.F.N.Y. Internal Layout

The order you post determines the order you first arrive at E.F.N.Y. Let the game begin!

The Crew
    Rose Quentin Nepphi
    Rev. Gregory Delsp The Werebear
    Markus Durant Scintillatus
    Kelly Tann Bushwacked
    Mizuki Saito Sicarius
    Dr. Alyssa Hargrave Sicarius
    Zinovia Gagarin Minchandre
    Leonardo Blackwell Dustfinger
    Morrin Sarah Ahearne TheRiov
    Michael O'Riley Horace Smith
    Natalie Crowe MaximusMeridius
    Last edited by King Tius; 2008-04-15 at 05:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Serenity: Orca Intrepid

Morrin slides through the ant-swarm of people with the practiced ease of a woman who knows her way through the streets. As she moves, her green eyes slide from face to face, meeting gazes with each person in her path just long enough to let them know she's not afraid to look them in the eye before she passes. Apparently in her mid 30s, she wears just a hint of street grime about her, like the badge of station of someone who's seen many a day on these same streets.

{forgive me for not typing out the accent all the time here. I'll do it at the start just for effect but I dont think I can maintain it full time}

She steps up to the captain, and speaks in her heavy Irish accent, "Ahre yeu the kaiptain of this here ship? My name is Morrin Ahearne, I spoke tew yeu before, I bahlive we had and arrangment for mhy passage? I assume yehr still agreeablle to mhy terms?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Dr. Hargrave

Showing up early to your first day on the job was a key way to impress your employer. And when your profession was as important as doctor, it was incredibly important to show up on time. Lives could be at stake. And of course, since this wasn't a hospital, she was likely the only one with the amount of medical training that she had. That meant no relief and an endless shift. She wouldn't have even taken the job, but the fact was, she was needed here.

Standing a slight 5' 4", her appearance dared others not to look. Her blond hair was done up in an elaborate Core world arrangement. Her thin-rimmed glasses sat on her nose just so. Her face was clean of dirt and blemishes. Her clothing was casual, no need for the scrubs and rubber gloves yet. She walked toward the E.F.N.Y. with a practiced grace.

"Good morning, Captain. I'm here and at your disposal. Might I inspect the medical facilities? I want to see the conditions with which I will be working." Her grammar was impeccable. After a discussion with the captain, she went to inspect her new operating room.
    Last edited by Sicarius; 2008-03-27 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Actually using proper grammar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

A grey-haired-man in his late fourties with barcode tatoo under his left eye, barely concealed by a pair of sunglasses, leans on the terminal filling out forms and smoking for around twenty minuites. He glances up at the ship every-so-often and scrutinises it some but his gaze seems to avoid the hairy individual sitting just past the airlock staring out the the crowds of the Prescephone market.

He eventually strolls up to it, walks inside and straight up to the man with a earth-that-was celtic appearance. He removes his glasses and with graveley tones he announces "I've filled those feh feh pi goh peices of core trash for ye. Just so ye know I be applin' for the mechanic job, got me more experiance in that than you've seen sunny days boy. So are ye gonna go send someone to pick my tools up or are ye gonna make me go back and pull my gorram back out of place?"
    Last edited by Bushwhacked; 2008-03-27 at 09:58 AM.
    Awesome avatar by Shades of Gray- check this out.

'Famous I don't know about. It's hard to be famous and alive. I just want to play music every day and hear someone say, 'Thanks, that was great, here's some money, same time tomorrow, okay?'- Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Default Fr. Lyons

Alexander Lyons gentle weaves his way through the crowd, twisting his shoulders this way and that to avoid pushing or being pushed through the multitudes. When he finally arrives at the docks he pushes his constantly slipping glasses up with the full spread of his hand. His black jacket folded over his left arm, his bag slung over his right he approaches the man in the hammock. He scratches his neck beneath his collar, drawing attention the visible white strip that marks him as clergy. "I'm looking for passage to the rim worlds to visit some people who need my services. I need a sturdy ship with some quiet space and I believe you've got both. I promise you that you'll receive full pay for the lodging, if not from me than from the administration at Avignon."

Once Fr. Lyons receives clearance he drops his things off in his room before walking about the ship to get his bearings. When he hears Morrin's accent he heads towards her voice. "I wasn't aware that anyone actually spoke in that way anymore. Perhaps I could inquire as to where you're from?" He leans in the doorway of whatever room he found her in, and once again pushes up his glasses.
    I roll 20s

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Sgt. Rose M. Quentin (retired) heard of the available working berths on a newly landed Orca through the cortex. Deciding one opportunity was as good as any, she filled out the application from her home terminal, then disconnected and stowed her gear in two comfortably balanced, if a bit heavy, haversacks. Stopping only long enough to settle up rent with her landlord, she headed straight over to the docks.

Once there, she spent a bit of time prowling about and looking over the ship. It didn't look too different, in theory, from the troop transports that had hauled her and the regiment all over the system. Then again, she wasn't exactly well-versed in ship operations theory. Shrugging, she headed for the captain as soon as it seemed he had some attention free.

"Captain? Rose Quentin, I believe I sent an application ahead for your perusal?"
    "The only thing between us and victory is that Ogre Mage!"

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Avatar by the illustrious and swift Djinn_in_Tonic.

Kurik

7. - Top - End - #7

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Rev. Gregory Delsp

The Reverend moves through the crowd like a ship through waves. He tries to step delicately and not shove past anyone, but it doesn't come easy as a nearly seven foot tall, 350 pound man with a hellacious set of scars and a patch where a left eyeball should be. Wearing enough ammunition to fight a small brush war doesn't help either. Still, he tries. The Eavesdown docks are full of ships, and he needs to find a new one and cause as little trouble as possible. So, he moves through the crowds, leaving a wake behind him.

He pauses when he passes E.F.N.Y. A smile forms on his face, and he begins to chuckle. He drops his bag on the dirt and crosses his arms, the olive branch patterns on his brown duster to overlay. So, God's granted that we should meet again, eh? New face, same game. Hefting his bag, he steps onto the cargo ramp and flags down the man inside. I don't suppose you have some room on your boat? Because I do believe I've got to tag along with you. Y'see, when I was young and fresh and looking to go off to semenary, my first ride was on a ship named 'Neffy.' And when I went to war, the ship that took me to my first assignment was 'Fenny.' And now, I'm old and crusty and looking to go out and just find my piece in the 'Verse, and I run into 'Effny.' I do believe I've got to ship out with you now. I can pull my weight. I'm a man of God and a man of War, and I can help you if you run into trouble with either.
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2008-03-27 at 03:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Leonardo

A small portly man walks through the crowd. As he reaches the other side he leans over, slightly out of breath. He looks at all the cargo that almost fills the ship and yells,

Hey, did my last shipment of food come in? Oh, there is is nevermind. Would someone be willing to take this into the kitchen when you get the chance? Thanks in advance.

He then walks out of the cargo bay into the kitchen and starts preparing a "New Start" meal.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d12)[6]
    (1d12)[6]
    (1d4)[2]
    Add that all up and thats how good the meal is
    Here's a link to a homebrew of a Black Jewels Trilogy setting. It is in dire need of help, so if you have any ideas please stop by.

Here are characters I'm currently playing
    Aidan Gasteau

Here's the games I'm currently running
    A Shadow Falls
    Huge thanks to Caracol for my Maximus Centauri Avatar.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Zinovia Gagarin

Zinya squinted her eyes against the sun as she lifted her shades to get a better look at the ship. Really, though, the squinting was more her own fault than the sun's: last night's liaison had been a little more...enthusiastic than anticipated, and she'd gotten just about two hours of sleep the previous night. Military training a few years in the war meant that she was firing on all turbines despite the lack, but even with the help of four cups of coffee, she still couldn't get her goddamn pupils to contract like they should.

The ship herself was a real beauty. New, well maintained: any pilot's dream. And if she didn't exactly look graceful, well, no freighter really did, and Zinya's practiced eyes could spot the poise and elegance that lay under the bulky, practical exterior.

Zinya chastised herself, Look at me, poring over the ship as though I had some kind of choice. While there was, strictly speaking, a choice, it wasn't any sort of real one: Zinya had been planet bound for nearly a month following a disagreement with her previous employer involving employee "perks", and even though she was good on credits, she was desperate to get her feet of the filth ground-pounders called the earth and back on some proper deck plating, with nothing between her and the Black but a few feet of metal.

She approached the apparent captain and introduced herself before setting down to fill out his paperwork.
    Avatar: Dave the Drone Rigger, by Brickwall

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Michael made his way through the crowd, his eyes darting about watchful for trouble, more out of habit then any real sense of danger, it was a useful habit though.
    He'd been coming down to the docks ever day this week, watching the different ships and captains, even introducing himself to a few of them, but so far they'd all been too familiar with his reputation to risk taking him on.

Today however, one of them took an interest in him, a wild lookin' guy with a grin like a line of tombstones and a ship that looks like it's just out of the plastic wrapper, flags him down and offers him a job opportunity.

Now, Mike's hurtin' for a way off this rock, but that don't mean his gonna take the first thing that comes along: Well that's very kind of you to offer sir, and I don't think I'm being immodest when I say you could probably use me, but I'd just like to get one thing straight first: I'm an honest man and I don't take kindly to those folk who make their livin' thievin' offa others and whatnot. Now if you can promise me that this operation of your's is all above board, then I'll gladly fill out your little application and sail with you to the edge of the verse and back, dohn luh mah?
    Thinking is but an idle waste of thought, And nought is everything and everything is nought.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Morrin wastes little time when she comes aboard, using her early arrival as an excuse to tour all the cabins and select the best one for herself. She quickly settles in, tucking her shotgun under the bed the pistol under her pillow. Her few personal belongings she hangs up, finally she removes a metal horseshoe from her bag and affixes it over the door.

Once settled in, Morrin begins to explore the ship, taking advantage of the as yet-non-existant crewto go places she shouldn't necessarly be, trying to get a feel for the vessel, its ins and outs, hiding places before heading to the cargo bays and taking a mental inventory of the cargo, even going so far as to knock on crates and peek in anything unsealed.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Natalie Crowe

A small girl with blond hair carrying a big duffel bag of stuff, slowly makes her way up to the open doors. She is wearing a in a long trench coat and a cowboy hat, and can’t be more than 5 feet tall or 100 lbs. “Heard you got yourself a need for some helping hands. At least that’s what the ad said. Of course, the specifics of the types of jobs that were going to be performed weren’t exactly clear. Care to elaborate?” After the likely explanation of simply protecting cargo, the girl replies, “Sounds easy nuff. I could use a nice relaxing break.” She then plants the bag on the ground and extends her hand, before saying “Natalie Crowe. Nice to meet you.”

After filling out all the paperwork necessary, she asks where she will be staying and then makes her way to her room. She slowly unpacks her things and tries to make the room her own, but soon heads out with the job half finished, deciding to familiarize herself with the layout of the ship first. If she runs into anyone, she greets then with a warm welcome and introduces herself in a similar manner to the captain.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Markus glances around the dock. Same old traders, same old beaten up ships. A few new dents, here and there - a few of the ships shined up a bit. But there was no disguising it, the pace had been slow recently. No new prospects, no new adventures, no new jobs...

Markus catches a look at the EFNY, and whistles.

"This is new, all right."

He strides over lazily, and begins to inspect the terminal, paying little attention to the potential crew and passengers milling about outside. After a few moments pushing buttons, he lets out a satisfied chuckle.

"Orca-Class freighter? In bloody good nick, by the look of it. Very promising. Very promising."

The man leans against the terminal idly, waiting for the captain to react to the thronging crowd gathering around the ship.
    If you're wondering how PC's eat and breathe, and other science facts
    Repeat to yourself "It's just a game, I should really just relax!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the early afternoon, midweek, the scent of tabacco smoke and engine greese start drifting down into the kitchen from the engine room. Anyone walking in would see Kelly stripped down to his jeans, vest and his glasses on his back under the engine. The room itself looking a complete state, the floor littered with tools, parts and half the panels about the walls hanging open with wires trailing and hanging everywhere.

He moved into his room earlier that day, taking his time to hide his less than legal posessions not being sure how his crewmates would react. After getting his room sorted he pretty much went straight on up to the engine room and started tinkering thinking "I'll be on this boat some time. Aint no time like the present to be getting to know her".

And so he's stripping the engine, clening it up and putting it back, checking the connections and generally making sure of the captains claim of how healthy lil' Effny actually is. Across the ship lights flicker for a moment before failing entirely and alongside them most of the ships controlls, sensors and screens. Backup lights flicker on a second later but neither the darkness nor the gloom seem to peturb Kelly and he keeps banging away back there.

'Famous I don't know about. It's hard to be famous and alive. I just want to play music every day and hear someone say, 'Thanks, that was great, here's some money, same time tomorrow, okay?'- Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

15. - Top - End - #15

Devil

Dr. Hargrave

For her part, Dr. Hargrave moved in slowly. It wasn't that she was moving slowly, but that she had a lot of things to move. Much of it was clothing for a variety of occasions, if they happened to be Core World functions, or Core World casual wear, or Core World etc. She also had a variety of interesting and exciting gadgets, which she took down to the medical facilities. She wasn't used to working in such cramped conditions, but she would have to make do. The smile never left her face. This was good work.

When she finishes moving into her quarters, the most striking things of note are the pictures. She has multiple pictures of men and women, usually taken with her in some stage of her life. Careful analysis would reveal similar facial features enough to warrant an educated guess that they are her family members. She also keeps 2 crates of fine wine in her room, tucked in a corner. Anyone who took a before-and-after picture of the medical facilities would be surprised to see some interesting Newtech devices currently occupying places, and databooks littering the shelves.

Throughout the course of the week, she tries to get used to the cramped conditions of living on a boat. It's obvious she sleeps poorly and feels slight muscle cramps, evidence of a person who was not used to ladders.

If approached, she is friendly and talkative, and asks a lot of questions.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

II Gettin' Settled

OOG: Alright, I’d like everyone to subscribe to this post if you haven’t already done so. I’d like to pick up the pace now that everyone knows it’s opened. Also, at the beginning of your post, please have your character’s name bolded at the top (like half of you have already done). It makes my life easier. Finally, make sure to read (at least) the dialogue of the posts before you to make sure you don’t miss people talking to you.

Morrin
    “We’ll goodmornin’ Freckles. Oh right, you’re the dealer who contacted me before I even broke atmo. Sweety, for a fifth of those 10,000 credits worth of guns you can stay on my boat long as you like. Only thing is, I gotta know whereabouts they are. Now you don’t need to go lead me to ‘em, but I’d at least like to know what part of town they’re hidden in and what you want to do about ‘em before you go selling ‘em. Since you’re paying so nice, you get to stay in the passanger’s berthing. They’re down the stairs from the kitchen and a mite bigger than the crew’s stows.”

Later when you start knocking and looking inside of cargo, the captain turns around in his hammock and hollers. “What you about? Didn’t anyone teach you not to fiddle with what ain’t yours? I’m being paid good money to fly this bulk and some people like a little discretion in their shipping.”

Dr. Hargrave
    The man hoists himself out of his hammock when the doctor approaches. Apparently the man can recognize class when it walks his way. “It is a pleasure to have you aboard my vessel, Doctor. The medical bay is located upstairs just aft of the cockpit. I hope you find the place to your liking. To be honest, I don’t know if the bay has been used since this ship was built. Some things may still be in the wrapping, so to speak. The crew quarters are found by ladders in the kitchen. Please make yourself at home and welcome aboard.” The doctor finds that the medical facilities are well stocked and clean, though a thin layer of dust has settled from being unused. The supplies are the standard out-of-dry-dock lot but are more than adequate.

Kelly
    Smiling widely at Kelly’s gruff introduction, the man smiles and replies “I’d send someone to grab your tools if I had anyone to send. You’re the first set of rocks to walk through my doors. You’re welcome to ask the doc to help you move, but I don’t think she’s much for liftin’. How far away are your tools? You’re welcome to take the ATV to go get ‘em or wait till more crew sign on to help you. Crew quarters are above the kitchen. Welcome aboard.

Later in the week when the power goes out the captain glances up at the lights but seems unconcerned.

Fr. Lyons
    “Howdy Father, if you’re looking for a sturdy and quiet ship you’ve found her. As for hittin’ the rim, I’m sure we’ll be making a stop or two out there along the way. Effie here goes wherever the cargo needs to, so you’re likely to see a great number of places if you stay aboard. It’s standard fare to come aboard, but we can deal with that before we take off in a few days. The passenger’s quarters are below the kitchen. Welcome aboard.”

Rose
    As Rose approaches the man in the hammock lets out a whistle. “Now there must be a story behind that fancy leg of yours. Yes, you’re application was all in order. Sounds like you know a little bit about most everything a man might need in a crewmate. Could sure use someone like you on board. I’m guessing from your rank and your still breathing that you’re handy with a shooter, too. That’ll more than likely come in handy as well.” He sits up in his hammock and points towards a forklift-like vehicle parked in the corner of the bay. “Since this is a cargo ship, you’ll be expected to help load and unload our goods. Ever run one of those before? There’ll be some liftin’ involved, but you look like you’ll be ok there. Crew bunks are up the ladders in the kitchen. If you’ve got problems with climbin’, we can switch things around and get you settled.”

Rev. Delsp
    “Two men of God in one day? Somebody must be trying to tell me something. Glad you’ve taken a liking to Effie’s name. That’s no small number of ammo you’ve got strapped about you. They might get in the way of the cargo moving, if you take my meaning. Crew quarters are up the ladders in the Mess. Welcome aboard.”

Leonardo
    The large cook finds the Captain has dosed off when he arrives. Waking with a start, he looks at Leo “What in the? Oh, it’s you.” The man jumps out of his hammock and stands up. “I didn’t quite believe it when I got your message, but here you are, the famous cook himself. Your food did just get dropped off. Tell you what, you cook for my ship and I’ll let you stay in the passenger bunks free of charge. Poke around for one of the new crewmen to help you haul this stuff up. There’s a big one with an eye patch that could probably carry you up there himself. Crew quarters are below the kitchen. I'd like a big dinner around 6:30 tomorrow to introduce everyone. Can you make us something special?”

Zinya
    “I was wondering when I’d get a pilot walking through. I know enough to get Effie here and there, but I’m no throttle jockey. Effie’s pretty new and almost flies herself for the routine stuff, but you never know when you need some dashing acrobatics to keep us alive. Crew quarters are above the kitchen and I bet I don’t need to tell you where the cockpit is."

Michael
    The captain clears his throat and stands up when Michael talks. “Now I like to think of myself as a straight shooting sort myself. A man can’t beat his wife and killers deserve the noose and whatnot. However, there’s a whole sea of grey in between killin’ folk for their wallets and making an extra coin or two looking the other way on shipping regulations. Now I’ve got me a shipping license and I do good work for paying customers, but if you’re going to have a problem with cargo that ain’t alliance stamped and sealed, you may not want to come aboard. I’m no thief and I don’t take kindly to being called one, but stealing from your neighbor and ducking harbormasters are different strokes in my book. You still want aboard? We’ve got two preachers on already if it helps soothe your conscience. I need honest crewmen to move the cargo and keep things smooth. You look like you can fill the nook. So what’ll it be?”

Natalie
    “This is a cargo ship, not a babysitter, little one. Space is a harsh mistress and shipping ain’t all fun and games. If you think you can stick it I’ll be glad to have one cute as you aboard. Most folk don’t carry guns less they can use ‘em, so I’m willing to let you sign on as long as you can handle the work. Dinner’s at 6:30 and your bunk’s above the kitchen.”

Markus
    As it gets close to dinner the Captain moves to close the cargo doors. As he does he sees Markus leaning on the terminal eyin’ him. “Well boy, if you look any longer you might as well by Effie a drink. You looking for work? Get on in here.”

During the Week
    Leo cooks normal meals during the week of everyone showing up. The kitchen operates buffet style for whoever's around. The Captain grabs food and disappears during these meals. Word gets around that the first real crew meeting/meal is at 6:30 on the third day of Effie being docked. By then everyone has arrived.

At The Meeting Dinner
    6:30 arrives and you make your way to the kitchen. Leo has whirled up a hell of a dinner, easily a four star meal at any core world restaurant (Dustfinger, please state what kind of food you’ll be cooking so we know what we’re eating).You take your seats at the two tables in the mess as the lion-haired man walks in. “Welcome aboard everyone. I’m Captain Alexander Nalsa and you’ve already met Effie. Before we eat I want to get a few things straight. This is my ship and you take orders from me, plain and simple. Some of you have signed on as passengers and that’s shiny. The rest of you crew will be paid weekly, provided you do your jobs. We can talk money now if it means you getting’ off this boat if the pay ain’t good enough, but it will be, don’t you worry. Eatin’ times will be worked out once we get flyin’. Now I love a full table, but I’ll not force you to eat here if it’s not your pleasure. This is a cargo ship, so I probably don’t need to explain too much what the work will be like. We pick up cargo and drop off cargo which will need movin’. There’s a lift in the cargo bay but most of you will be expected to help move unless you’re doing something more important. Now we’ve got two preachin’ types aboard, which makes no difference to me, but I don’t want any fuss about it. Father Lyons got here first, so I guess he gets to say grace tonight.” The Captain takes his seat and waits for grace to be said before diggin’ in.

OOC: An OOC thread has been created for the game. It can be found here.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Default Fr. Lyons

Fr. Lyons looks around the table, a little confused. "Uh, grace, sure, if that's alright with everyone." Assuming no one points a weapon at him (wouldn't be the first time) Fr. Lyons looks down at his lap in thought for a few moments before blessing himself and folding his hands. "Benedic, Domine, nos, et haec tua dona, quae de tua largitate sumus sumpturi. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen." When he finishes he blesses himself again. He looks up and blushes, I hope the Latin or the Christianity didn't bother anyone. It didn't even occur to me to use something a little more even keeled. I'll be sure to, next time." Looking around the table at Leo's dinner Fr. Lyons laughs, somewhat awkwardly. "Who's the chef? This looks delicious."
    Last edited by Zoobity; 2008-03-29 at 08:33 PM.
    I roll 20s

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Kelly Yann

"Ye shouldn't be so bashful Father, ye've got yer things to say so say 'em is what is what I rekon" Kelly comments with an kind small smile on his lips, "Not sayin' that I'm the christian type myself or thought 'bout religion too much in my time but I'll never be one to complain when somone says some pretty words with good intent."
    He then pauses a moment and to the rest announces, "Suppose I better introduce myself eh? My names Kelly Yann, doing a bit of tinkering with machines in me dusk-days, some of ye may of heared the name before... well if thats the case its just a name."
    Last edited by Bushwhacked; 2008-03-29 at 11:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Zinovia Gagarin

After getting accepted to the crew

Zinya was pleased as punch that the captain seemed willing to give her the job, and was even more delighted by his laid-back attitude - he probably wouldn't micromanage her like certain past employers and COs had. Following the apparent combination interview/hiring process, she went aboard, pausing every so often to examine this or that detail of the ship. Generally satisfied by the condition of the ship, she gradually worked her way up to the crew quarters and checked to see which was closest to the cockpit. Checking to see that it was unoccupied, she climbed up and scattered whatever she had on her to "mark her territory", making a mental note to move the rest of her things in later.

That done, she eagerly slid down the ladder and made her way to her real home: the cockpit. Now, you can tell a lot about a ship's pilot from the cockpit: maybe it'll be littered with detritus, showing a pilot that's a slob; maybe it'll be so clean you could eat off the panel, betraying a pilot with a stick up her ass; maybe there might be toy dinosaurs or something similar, suggesting a pilot that's a bit touched in the head. Effie's cockpit was none of those things. It was very new looking, and dirty enough to know that people spent time in it while still being clean enough to know it wasn't a lot of time. In short, it was a room devoid of a pilot, and Zinya felt that lack singing clearly through her heart. Well, Effie she thought to herself as she stroked the controls, I'm here now, you don't have to worry about that anymore.

In the days that followed, Zinya moved her things aboard ship; some items, like her clothes and such, she stashed in her bunk, but that room was just for sleeping: her real place was in the cockpit, and she made herself at home. Her combat suit went on a rack right by the pilot's seat, against the possibility of future need; though not on display, the Alliance service patches on it are easy enough for anyone to spot. The walls went from drab metal to being covered with star charts and a manufacturer's blueprint of an Orca class craft, all covered liberally in notes written in small, precise handwriting with silver pen. Anyone acquainted with Zinya from dockside would find a powerful transformation work over her as she went from the carefree, easily-distracted flirt she was on the ground to a no-nonsense, deadly efficient pilot. In her interactions with the other crew, she's a little elusive, taking meals (and apparently sleep) in the cockpit, but she'll always be perfectly polite, if a little curt.

At the meeting dinner, Zinya listened to Nalsa's introductory spiel with good nature: simple chain of command, weekly salary, food on demand; better than anyone could ask for. The presence of the two preachers aboard made Zinya smile - the Gagarins having been avowed atheists back since before leaving Earth-That-Was. Still, if the Skipper wanted to say Grace, Grace would be said. That the Grace was Catholic, and in Latin, mattered little; one set of made-up benedictions towards an imaginary friend were much like another. Still, she didn't mind sitting a few extra minutes, smelling the food.

As Yann introduced himself, Zinya did all she could to stop herself cringing at the horribly affected accent before stepping into the fray and introducing herself next. "Well, Yann, the name game does seem like a good call at this point; I'm sure we've all met a few of our erstwhile companions, but I, at least, have hardly met them all. I'm Zinovia Gagarin, and I'll be your pilot for the next chapter of your life. I don't have much else to add, except to suggest that if I call out a take-hold during maneuvers, you should probably grab the nearest handhold. I got a taste for fancy flying in the War, and while Effny's no assault shuttle, you'd be surprised what kind of turns a good freighter can pull with a determined pilot a the wheel."

EDIT: Ninja'd, so added intro section.
    Last edited by Minchandre; 2008-03-30 at 12:09 AM.
    Avatar: Dave the Drone Rigger, by Brickwall

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Leonardo

Before I begin with plesantries I'll let you know whats staring back at your from your plate. This sandwich contains Wagyu beef, fresh lobe foie gras, black truffle mayonnaise, brie de meaux, rocket red pepper and mustard confit, and plum tomatoes sitting between 24-hour fermented sourdough bread. And also, once you're done, for desert, The Grand Opulence Sundae, which I designed myself. The sundae is made with five scoops of Tahitian vanilla bean ice cream infused with Madagascar vanilla, covered in edible 23-karat gold leaf, drizzled with chocolate and covered with chunks of Chuao chocolate. It is suffused with candied fruits, gold dragnets, truffles, and marzipan cherries. On top you will find a glass bowl of Grand Passion Caviar, infused with passion fruit, orange and Armagnac. I hope y'all enjoy your meal.

Leonardo stands with baiting breath until the crew takes the first few bites. Then pleasantly continues,

Sorry, it's not one of my best meals. Well, I'm sure you've all probably heard of me, I'm Leonardo Blackwell. I've taken a permanent leave of absence from the spotlight of the core worlds and I'd like to talk about that life as little as possible. If you have any questions your just have to ask, then just pull me aside and ask them. But, while I'm on this ship you're all my family, and we will sit down together once a week together at the table, no exceptions. As long as that is met there will be no protien paste on this ship. Only the best of the best.

Leo then glances toward the kitchen and see's a little smoke,

Whoops! Forgot to shut the oven off, i'll be back. Enjoy!
    He then calmly but swiftly walks into the kitchen and cleans up.
    Last edited by Dustfinger; 2008-03-30 at 02:56 AM.
    Here's a link to a homebrew of a Black Jewels Trilogy setting. It is in dire need of help, so if you have any ideas please stop by.

Here are characters I'm currently playing
    Aidan Gasteau

Here's the games I'm currently running
    A Shadow Falls
    Huge thanks to Caracol for my Maximus Centauri Avatar.

21. - Top - End - #21

Devil

Dr. Hargrave

During the introductory dinner, Dr. Hargrave dines with practiced manners. After one glance at him, she avoids looking Kelly in the eye, and when recognizing his name, she is quick to hide her wide-eyed surprise. When Zinovia and Leonardo introduce themselves she seems notably less adverse, smiling and paying attention with her eyes and her body language.

"My name is Dr. Hargrave, but please just call me Alyssa." Dr. Hargrave began, smiling widely. "After all, if we're going to be on the same vessel, we'll be seeing a lot of each other anyway. I'm the ship's doctor. Hopefully, we're not going to need me outside of just the normal check-up. If there's anything bothering you, please come and see me as soon as possible."

22. - Top - End - #22

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Rev. Delsp

Joining the Crew
    Gregory immediately accepts the position offered and claims whatever crew cabin isn't already occupied. He sets his articles of war down with noticeable relief, and isn't seen wearing ammo or a gun, though he does keep his knife and a small hatchet on his person. For the remainder of the time before they leave the planet, he navigates the ship repeatedly until he is sure he sure of the distances involved and can move at a run through the craft without worrying about depth perception. Once that's done, he picks a quiet spot in the cargo bay and begins whittling in a deep, semi-meditative trance. If anyone looks or asks what he is making, they are tiny crosses. Makin' em helps me focus when I pray.
    Spoiler
    Show

Artistry - (1d2)[2]
    Willpower - (1d10)[2]
    Agility - (1d8)[3]
    Yeah, 4 or 5 on that check. They are quite crude.

The one eyed Rev. enjoys his mean and listens quietly while the others introduce themselves and the meal, respectively. He bows his head for the prayer, good eye closed tightly. A trace of a frown crosses his face when Yann introduces himself, but it is no more than a trace and it fades quickly. I've heard that name before, but I can't place where. Wasn't good, wherever it was. He remains polite and neutral through Zinova's introduction and the cook's lengthy description of the meal, and chuckles at the end of it and comments quietly Even if it was your worst meal, it'd be a sight better'n protein cubes and water. After the doctor, the he speaks up next. He stands to speak, and appears slightly awkward, as if he's trying not to be so large, scarred up, and generally fierce looking.

My name is Gregory Delsp, Reverend if you feel like putting that in front of it. I'll answer the first thing on your mind first. I lost the eye and got the scars at the first day of Serenity. Second question, brown coat's the answer. I'll probably be lookin' to serve as something like security for this trip. So, um, if you need me for anything, be it related to God or guns, I'll be around.
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2008-03-31 at 01:42 AM.
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Rose didn't, in point of fact, have any trouble negotiating her way up the ladders. Painful or not, her prosthesis was a reasonable facsimile of the human leg, even with the patently fake appearance of the thing through her shorts. She stowed her gear and got changed, immediately heading back down in her work jeans and tshirt, and set about familiarizing herself with the power lifter and the stowage arrangements in the big ship's cargo bays.

Two days later she sat down to the first communal meal with the crew. She liked meal times, particularly ones she could relax at and have a conversation over, instead of rushing through. She let the Preacher go through his rites, then laid into her meal with the enthusiasm that only gourmands, gluttons, and former soldiers can muster. When the greeting circle came round to her, she considered the reverend's words about the war, but for her part she just smiled and waved friendly like. Her service was a matter of public record, and they could find out on their own. Why ruin a good meal?

Rose Quentin. Come outta St. Albans, been here two or three months. Captain here hired me on for general purposes. And this is some damned fine eating, so I'm half tempted to give up my pay just so our cook here can stay in supply. Only half though.
    Last edited by nepphi; 2008-03-30 at 04:46 PM.
    "The only thing between us and victory is that Ogre Mage!"

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Avatar by the illustrious and swift Djinn_in_Tonic.

Kurik

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Default Fr. Lyons

When Rev. Delsp introduces himself Fr. Lyons is caught off guard, coughing up the tail end of his last bite of bread. "Ahem, excuse me. I didn't realize that you were a man of the cloth." Fr. Lyons stands up quickly and extends his hand to the giant. "I apologize for being so presumptuous. Where did you study? We'll have to catch up after dinner." He sits back down, trying to stay out of the way as the crew gets to know one another.
    I roll 20s

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Rev. Delsp

Oh, I went to seminary on Persephone, but I'm from Athens, originally.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Re: Serenity: Orca Intrepid

Michael O'Riley

Getting hired
    Alright, no need to get defensive, I didn't mean to imply that you were any kind of thief, it's just I've been round these docks for a fair number of years, I've met some of the honest captain's and most all the dishonest ones, and I just wanted to be sure you were one a the former rather then the later. I don't particularly owe the Alliance any real devotion, so I'm not gonna rat you out for skirtin' the rules once and a while, I just wanted to make sure you didn't mean to bring violence upon those don't deserve it. now if all that's okay with you, and I'm guessin' it is, then I think it'd be just shiny to come aboard.

Michael clams an unoccupied bunk and then spends the rest of the week exploring Effie and learning the in's and out and possible problem spots in case she ever need's defending.

At dinner Michael bows his head respectfully for The father's prayer, he raises his eyebrow a bit and shows a glimmer of recognition towards Kelly's name, but says nothing.

When the Reverend and the Father are done conversing he introduces himself
    Well I guess it's my turn, my name's Michael O'Riley, you can call me Michael or Mike or even Mr.O'Riley if you're so inclined, but if you call me Mikey then we're gonna have us some words. I've lived here on Persephone my whole life and I've been a peace officer for about half that, I'm not anymore as you may have guessed, it's a long sad story I'd really rather not tell now if that's alright. It looks like I'll be joining the good Reverend in protecting you all from any who'd think to do violence upon you, so if there's anything need's to be beaten, shot or stabbed you come find me or the Rev. Hopefully we'll both have a very boring time on this ship, aside from moving heavy things about.
    Last edited by Horace Smith; 2008-03-31 at 05:41 AM.
    Thinking is but an idle waste of thought, And nought is everything and everything is nought.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Morrin is decidedly un-appologetic when the captain catches her, "Ye cannae expect a girrl tae be a wee bit cureious can ye? Afterall 'tis going to be mae home." she does an abrupt about face and returns the way she came as if she considers the matter closed.

Morrin arrives at the communal meal a few minutes behind everyone. She waits in the doorway for the aisle to clear, using the time to size up the crowd. When space clears she eases into a seat between Father & O'Riley, picking out his accent and preist's collar as the most familiar parts of the room. She eases into her seat and starts dishing out food for herself, trying to get a feel for the ebb and the flow of the conversation. "Morrin Ahearne." she finally introduces herself. She doesn't seem too inclined to add much to the conversation, though she does ask the occasional question, "So wherra are yer people from Mr. O'Riley?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Markus Durant

Markus grins, stepping away from the terminal and slipping inside the ship, offering the captain his right hand, hauling his duffel bag up with his left.

"D'you think she'd be the type to follow some ruffian like me to the dance, captain? Fine ship like this deserves better than a gunslinger like me. Of course, if you're hiring those with a good head on their shoulders, a strong back, and a fast gun arm... I'd be happy to tag along and pitch in for a bit of cashy money. Getting bored with the same old jobs on this rock."

At Dinner

Markus was already in the mess, having established it as his base of operations since the beginning of his stay. While his trunk and other gear stayed up in his quarters, a battered old electric guitar lurked a distance away from the tables, and the man usually lurked around the mess and kitchen unless work called him elsewhere.

He nods at the Captain's speech, piping up briefly to state "I'm in if you pay in pennies, captain. Good honest work and a bit of travel does the body good." Markus seems casually indifferent about the former status, choice of religion or past reputation of the crew. He offers a polite and friendly nod when each person introduces themselves, keeping a smile on his face.

He introduces himself with a trademark charming grin, brushing back his wavy black hair and looking from person to person. "Markus Durant, born on Paquin. I can pilot a shuttle and make sure it won't fall out of the sky, I can patch you up if the good Doctor over there isn't at hand, I can pick things up and move 'em, and I can handle any hostile situation with either bullets or fast-talk.

In short, I'm bloody useful. 's a pleasure to meet you fine and able-bodied people."

Markus peers at the arcane arrangement of meats, vegetables and bread upon his plate, bearing an expression which crosses over from awe into lust. He focuses his attention entirely upon the meal while he eats, savoring every last bite until the plate gleams white once more.
    If you're wondering how PC's eat and breathe, and other science facts
    Repeat to yourself "It's just a game, I should really just relax!"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Natalie Crowe

A smile passes over Natalie’s face. As the captain turns away from her, she says, “So what do you want me to stick?” By the time he has returned, she has one of her pistols in her right hand and has it pointed to the sky. While waiting for a response, she ***** the hammer with her thumb, and waits; almost begging the captain to challenge her ability to shoot. If he does, she does her best to not disappoint.

During her time in getting acquainted with the ship, she walks the catwalks of the cargo bays and tries to see how sturdy they are, as well as where it might be possible to set up some sort of a shooting range. While it ain’t the most common thing on a ship, setting up a bit here and there to practice with, tends to help out when needed. After viewing the cargo bay, she decides to keep her suggestions to herself for the time being, especially with the likelihood that any cargo they bring onboard has a chance of going boom.

At dinner, Natalie exclaims upon seeing the food, “Holy sweet jesus! I haven’t seen a feast like this in forever!” When it is her time to talk, she continues the introduction trend. “Guess I’m next,” with a small amount of food in her mouth. She swallows it, before continuing, “Natalie Crowe. I been around here and there of late. Mostly just trying to settle down and find something steady.” She waits for a question or two directed at her, before continuing to eat. Before she takes her next bite, she says, “And compliments to the chef,” while toasting with a fork full of food in her hand.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Re: Serenity: Orca Intrepid

Michael O'Riley

Well Ms.Ahearne, it depends how far back you mean to go, If your goin' back to Earth-that-was I suppose I'm Irish, although my kinfolk have had a bit more trouble holdin' onto the accent then yours obviously. More recently my folks lived on Londinum, till they moved here to Persephone and had me.

So whereabouts's are you from then? If you don't mind me askin'