New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Expedition to Undermountain IC

Spoiler
    Show

Alright, here's the IC thread for my Expedition to Undermountain game. You post your character's actions, etc in here. You may also post metagame questions or information in spoiler tags in your post. You may handle foreign languages however you like

Expedition to Undermountain

For many reasons, people travel to Watersdeep. Some travel to see the sights of such a large city. Others travel to this center of trade to make ends meet in their business. Still more call the place home.

A large number, however, view this place as just a pit stop above the enormous system that is Undermountain.

You, yourself, have just travelled to the city for similar reasons. Proving yourself, an ache for treasure or power; you have many reasons for being here.

Each of you walk into the city from a different direction. Gates adorn the walls, providing the opportunity for you to walk into the city without ever seeing each other. Such may not be the case, but it is unlikely that any one of you stand out amongst the crowd enough for others of import to notice. After checking you into the registries with a bored facade, the guards suggest a few inns to stay at. Festhalls aplenty provide lodging for any type of creature. The Greenglade Tower of the North Ward, Sapphire house in Castle Ward, and The House of Purple Silk in the Sea Ward are suggestions from the guards for the common trader or visitor.

Obvious adventurers, however, hear of the Yawning Portal Inn, The Empty Keg tavern, and the festhall known as Mother Salinka's House of Pleasure. Pointing each of you in that direction, the guards let you go about your way, although you're almost sure you heard a few of them chuckling jokes about such "fresh meat" daring the city's legendary underground.

Evening falls as you enter the square the guards described to you. A loud murmur punctuated by the occasional yelp or laugh radiates from a somewhat worn building proudly displaying "The Empty Keg" above its door. Apparently, the tavern is not quite as empty as advertised. A few doors away stands a two-story building known as the Yawning Portal Inn. Across the street from both of these is the well-decorated Mother Salinka's House of Pleasure.

The travel of the day has worn your energy low, but possibly not so low as to need sleep just yet. All three of the places were advertised as having lodging, you remember.

Spoiler
    Show

So what do you do?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Expedition to Undermountain IC

Riktor Mathers

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope you don't mind a different interpretation of that post as Riktor is a native of Waterdeep.

Riktor stretched his arms as he walked into the square. It had been a hard day at Katch's shop and he was feeling the need for a drink and a night on the town. In fact, he was ready for more than just a night of drinking, dancing and carousing. He had his armor. His tools. His weapons. He was prepared for it tonight, as he had been many nights. Walking towards the Yawning Portal, he had to take a moment just to look at it. This was it, the inn, an entrance into the Undermountain, from which the owner had once ventured and returned rich. Undermountain, the near endless dungeon filled with monsters, traps, and treasure. Many a night he had frequented this inn's common room, waiting to find those that were also ready to seek their fortune. And each time he had remained sitting, nursing his drink. Maybe tonight would be different. Or maybe he'd just wake up in the morning in one of the rooms, his head throbbing from drinking too much and his pocket lighter for the inn fare.

With a sigh he entered the building, taking familiar steps to the common room and ordering a drink from a barmaid, and looking, watching waiting, for those that just might be looking for a companion to deal with those dangerous, deadly, fascinatingly marvelous traps below.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Jaerg Corran

Jaerg hurries into the square, eyes darting around the buildings, trying to take in everything at once.He is covered in dust, grime caking his face, and much of his equipment is worn. He briefly considers the names and possible contents of each of the establishments recommended to him.

Don't have time for any pleasures, and don't need them right now. I need a bath. Empty Keg tavern? No, no, it won't have a bath. Or will it? No time, no time, try the inn.

He slowly exhales before entering the inn, visibly calming himself. I hate cities. They're too fast. He walks in and inquire the price of a room with a bath. He'll go up and take one before entering the common room.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

The first thing Jole forgets to do is close his mouth as he walks around the city. He shuts it after hearing a few guards laughing, and continues to walk around, taking it all in. At one point, a few elven higher-ups walk by, and Jole excitedly greets them with a "Hello!" in Elven--drawing more than a few curious expressions, and a jump from the leader of the little clique. They pass on by, and Jole shakes his head.

He shakes his head again a few moment later, passing by the Empty Keg. Strong Drink is a Tosser, he remembers from years of his father drilling his own brand of education into him.

His eyes go wide at the sight of the House of Pleasures, and he hurriedly crosses to the other side of the street--but not without taking a glance back out of curiosity.

Finally, the Yawning Portal comes up, and Jole smiles. Finally, an inn.

He lets himself in the door, and takes in the sight--and smells--before him.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

G'nar Ironfist

The stout dwarf known as G'nar Ironfist makes his way through the streets resolutely, only occassionally looking up and around him. Much of the city held little interest to him, and these . . . people . . . could have their hustle and bustle and keep it: G'nar wasn't interested. But he was interested in their coin, particularly as he didn't have much of that at the moment. He'd look for work tomorrow - right now he was too worn out from the journey here to try and find a mercenary job.

Approaching the Yawning Portal Inn that the guards at the gate had recommended, G'nar barely pauses to examine the two-story structure more than enough to notice the signpost hanging above the door. Making his way inside, G'nar heads over to the bar. "I'd like an 'nn rom, please. And an ale."
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

6. - Top - End - #6

Spoiler
    Show

Yes, Pink, that's perfectly alright I knew that about your character, so I basically expected it.

As each of you enter the Yawning Portal Inn, it's easy to notice the namesake of the place. Dominating the room is a large open-topped stone ring. Around the well is a waist-high rampart wall preventing anyone from accidentally falling in. The outside of the well wall is studded at intervals with iron torch brackets, and a black-and-tackle hoist is chained to a stone lintel in the ceiling directly over the well.

If one is able to tear their eyes away from the sight, they'll notice that, otherwise, the inn looks fairly standard. The floor is covered with well-worn wooden boards, as are the walls. An elbow-height counter circles the majority of the room, littered with occupied tankards. Rich blue tapestries hang from the walls at intervals to give the room some measure of decoration. Continuing the theme, all of the tables and chairs in the room seem to be made of a heavy, stout wood designed to suffer through much wear and tear. Several of the tables seem to even be built into the room's support pillars, cementing them in place.

The room is lit by several wagon-wheel chandeliers covered in brightly-burning candles. The overall effect gives the place a dingy, but not unclean, look.

Despite the late hour, the common hall is bustling with people. Barmaids wander the tables, taking orders and avoiding lecherous hands with familiar giggles. Behind the bar stands a broad-shouldered man currently in conversation with a few people drinking at the counter. The experienced air about him may make you take more notice of him. In addition to the broad shoulders, the man sports a square jaw to match his friendly, if gruff demeanor. The gray in his shoulder-length russet hair betrays his age in direct contrast to his muscled build.

He frowns slightly at G'nar's blunt demand, but excuses himself from his conversation to retrieve the requested ale. "If you're wanting a room, dwarf, you best talk to my wife," he states, gesturing to a woman a few tables away reading from what looks to be a holy book. "She's to one to handle it."

Before he has a chance to return to his interrupted conversation, he answers Jaerg's question similarly, pointing after the dwarf.

The handsome, auburn-haired woman denoted as the barkeep's wife introduces herself to the two as Mhaere Dryndilstann and mentions her husband is Durnan, owner of the Yawning Portal Inn. Names aside, she sets G'nar and Jaerg up with their requests, additionally asking the human if he'd like a room for the night, as well. As she leads them together up the stairs, she mentions that a room is three gold pieces a night and she'll get a tavernmaid to draw up a bath for two silver, or Jaerg can put it together himself.

Riktor receives his drink from Luranla, who happily reminds him to not make a ruckus. "I'd have to handle you if it came to that", she notes. Looking around the room, Riktor sees nobody out of the ordinary amongst the patrons of the inn. Sure, many of them are what could be deemed "adventurers" but just as many just enjoyed the ambiance of the place. All of them appeared to be regulars, relaxed as they were, with few looking for any excitement for the evening. It's possible that he takes note of a dwarf and a human being brought upstairs by Mhaere. Both of them have the look of adventurers with none of the familiarity that comes from living in Watersdeep.

Spoiler
    Show

Generally, I don't expect my posts to be quite this long But as this is an introductory / description post... yeah.

Glawackus, I didn't mention your character much since he just walked in. He sees all that the rest see and nobody really takes note of him.

7. - Top - End - #7

Jole stands by the door, shuffling aside to let a few halflings through, and moves to take a look down into the huge portal. Satisfied with the seeming bottomless-ness of the pit, he moves to the bar and knocks on the counter twice, quickly.

Once he has the barkeep's attention, he asks politely, "Excuse me, but who would I speak to about getting a room for the night?"

8. - Top - End - #8

Riktor Mathers

"I'll behave." He replies with a sly smile, giving her the coin for the drink before taking a sip. "Anyway, know of anyone who plans on going down tonight." He asks the barmaid. He does give a brief glance towards the travelers that are being led to their rooms, but figures that they may be there just for sight seeing and a place to sleep instead of taking the plunge into Undermountain. The entrance of the giant of a man however, catches and holds his gaze.

Riktor is ((probably)) quite easy to spot in the common room, as he is armored in his studded leather and has a bandoleer with six daggers in it strapped accross his chest. However that's not end of his equipment as he also has a crossbow holstered to his belt, a sap ready at hand beside it and on his other side a wooden club. Not to mention he also has a backpack that seems filled enough to be ready for a journey. He stands around average height or so for a human, and is a good example of a strong looking young man. His hair is long but well combed and tied together at his neck, and his his hazel eyes contain a spark of intelligence as well as a gleam of slight mischief in them.
    Last edited by Pink; 2008-06-19 at 03:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Jaerg

"Yes, I'll take the room for the night, and draw up my own bathwater. A little hard work before dinner is good for the body." After a short bath, he'll wander into the common room and scan the assembled patrons before looking down the shaft. He's somewhat tall, just over six feet, and sports a full beard and a mane of black hair. He wears a shield on his back and a morningstar on his belt, and he seems to have cleaned his armor before coming down.

He raises his voice a little and asks the room, "Anyone planning on going down there tomorrow?" His voice is deep, but he speaks rather quickly, as if in a rush to get the words out.
    Last edited by Dethcom1; 2008-06-20 at 01:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Peering into the well, Jaerg sees the walls of the well slope down and down and down and down... At the very bottom is a teeny-tiny pinprick of light.

A decent number of the bar's patrons turn and look at him after his comment. A few just shake their heads and turn back to their drinks. Most give quiet declinations. A few laugh right out and make well-rehearsed jokes about amateurs.

Durnan looks up at the man and grins.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

G'nar coughs uncomfortably when he hears the high cost for the room. "Um, beggin' your pardons miss. But uh, I jus' got into town and am lookin' for work. I'd be happy to work for meh 'nn rom, an' I'm not lazy or a thef, but I don't have three gold a' the moment."

12. - Top - End - #12

Mhaere looks thoughtful as Jaerg walks downstairs. After pondering G'nar's question, she says, "If you're here to go down the well, you can pay me back when you return. Else I'll send my husband down to fetch what's left of your gear if you don't come back. Deal?" She says it all without malice, just simple fact.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

G'nar wasn't entirely sure what everything the woman said meant. His Common was fairly good, having been taught to him from a young age, but that didn't mean he couldn't be missing a special meaning common to locals. For example, wasn't usually only water at the bottom of a well? G'nar had seen the well in the floor of the inn but didn't think much of it at the time.

Still, the gist of the woman's deal seemed to be that he could stay so long as he was going down in the well, and if he didn't come back the barkeep would go down to collect his gear which he would no longer have need of because he'd be dead. G'nar wasn't particularly the sentimental type, and indeed hoped that someone would use his own crafted arms and armor after his death as a testimony to his hard-work.

"Yes, that would be fine. But um . . . this is my first time here in Waterdeep. What is down the well?"

14. - Top - End - #14

Jole turns at Jaerg's call, and timidly raises his hand.

As soon as it's high above his head, he starts wondering. Is that the dungeon? The Under-Mountain? Who is he, anyways?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Jaerg walks over to Jole and claps a brotherly arm over his shoulder. "Excellent! I had feared I would be stuck here for days before anyone else arrived! Tell me, friend, what skills do you possess that would aid us in this venture? I myself am a brawler at heart, though I suppose that is obvious at first glance, eh?" As he speaks, he gently tries to lead Jole to an empty table and order a meal.
    Last edited by Dethcom1; 2008-06-24 at 11:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

The innkeeper's wife looks surprised at the dwarf's confusion. "You mean you don't know what this place is known for? The Well. It leads down into Undermountain. Hundreds of adventurers come here just to go down there. We charge a bit for using 'our' entrance, but..."

As if the thought just came to her, she tilts her head slightly to one side and says, "You do mean to go down there, right? Else, we'll have to find some other way for you to pay your room..."

17. - Top - End - #17

Riktor Mathers

A smile came to the apprentice's face. It seemed that some did still come to this place by themselves without a group ready. Perhaps...perhaps this would be his opportunity as well. Standing up from his stool at the bar and taking his drink with him, He walked over to the table that the two men had just sat down at.

"Pardon me, couldn't help hearing you. Riktor is my name and it seems like you're planning on going into the Undermountain, if I heard right." He said, trying to be friendly and hopefully not seem to intrusive.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

"I'm pretty good with picks. You know. Pickaxes?" He makes a half-hearted chopping motion with his hand. "Someone out on the street was making fun of me, but it's not like we had swords everywhere on the farm." Jole shrugs.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Jaerg pulls a chair out and motions for Riktor to sit. "Excellent, excellent, my name's Jaerg, and my pick-using friend here is apparently nameless." He guffaws at his own observation and gives Jole a friendly elbow jab, before taking a more serious tone. "Say, Riktor, you wouldn't have any knowledge of the healing arts, would you? I've seen some miracles performed by clergy in my travels, and it would greatly assist our expedition if we were to receive aid from such a fellow."

20. - Top - End - #20

"Jole! I'm sorry. I'm Jole."

On the inside, Jole smacked his face into his palm. I'll never, ever be an adventurer.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Although he had been looking for a job, it sounded like he had stumbled onto a potential source of income right here. G'nar had always prefered mercenary work: the thought of adventuring into the dark places of the world for potentially no gain because the buried treasure really was a myth did not appeal to him. Mercenary work had always provided G'nar with a steady income in the past.

However, if hundreds of corpse-pickers had passed through here, it suggested that either they were all daft or there really was something to be gained by going down the well. And, it seemed, he would have to go down the well if he wanted a room tonight. So in response to the lady's question, G'nar nods. "Yes, I will go down there. Will I be going down there alone, or will I be accompanying others? And who should I speak with for being placed onto a team for tomorrow's expedition? You or your husband?"

22. - Top - End - #22

The wife smirks and replies, "Finding fellows or going on your own is your choice. Though, the bar is often full of those desiring a little adventure." She gestures back down the stairs as she says this.

Quickly, she calls one of the maids to prepare a room for the dwarf and leaves him to his devices.

23. - Top - End - #23

Riktor Mathers

"Cleric? No, You have me mistaken, though I once thought about becoming an acolyte of Gond. My trade is a trapsmith, though I'm not to shabby in a fight, and if only the least of the stories of the Undermountain are true I'm certain my skills will come in handy. A pleasure to meet you, Jaerg and Jole."
    He says, taking a seat amongst the two. "Though if we could find a willing man of faith it would also be a boon to an expedition into the well."
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

G'nar briefly goes into the room to ensure everything was in order and that he knew where his room for the evening was. Then, without bothering to remove his traveling gear or freshen up, marches back down to the tavern. He would have to act quickly to find himself an adventuring party that was traveling down into the depths tomorrow.

While he could go down by himself, most of his experiences with teamwork had taught him the value of teamwork. Going solo often meant asking for a knife in the back because you had no one to watch yours. Working with groups just meant that you had to not only watch others' backs, but the rest of them as well to ensure *they* weren't the one with the readied knife. So a group of trustworthy people to adventure with was probably important as well.

Trustworthy . . . bah. As if. There was supposedly no honor amongst thieves, and G'nar typically saw those that robbed the graves of the dead in search of "adventure" as the most spineless of all thieves. But he would at least have to try.

Marching into the tavern, G'nar considered his options, then shrugged and simply moved from table to table, asking patrons there if they were planning on going into the darkness below the next morning.

25. - Top - End - #25

Most of the tavern's patrons wave G'nar on, indicating disinterest and the occasional annoyance at being interrupted. When he gets to the point of asking those at the bar, they point him towards a group of three at a table. Nothing is distinct about them except that one includes the fellow who went upstairs with him and Mhaere to get rooms earlier.

26. - Top - End - #26

Riktor Mathers

Though in conversation with the others, Riktor can't help but notice the armored dwarf that was walking from table to table. He had quit and axe on him and looked like he knew how to use it. Any skilled warrior was an asset down below, or so they said. As the dwarf was making his way through he other patrons and closer to their table, Riktor stood up and called out, "Oye, Excuse me, you there, guy with the red beard and the axe. You wouldn't happen to be interested in going into the Undermountain too would you?"
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

G'nar Ironfist

G'nar was gradually getting steered towards the table of three adventurers by the other patrons, none of whom seemed interested in his offer of aid. The table of three, however, did seem interested as one of them stood up and presumably addressed him. Although he was still unsure that his plan wouldn't result in him recieving a complimentary knife in the back, G'nar reaffirmed his intention to go ahead with the plan after a moment's thought.

"Aye." G'nar said simply to the man's question, moving to take a seat around the table to make it four. As he sat down, he added a few more words to his side of the conversation.

"Name's G'nar."

Here G'nar pauses in his introduction to wave one of the servers over to request a dinner to go with his ale, or gets up and goes over to the bar to order food depending on how things seem done here. With only a few silver to his name, G'nar decides to eat cheaply, purchasing only what a single silver would get him. Coming back to the table, G'nar settles back in his chair and begins removing his weapon, shield, and heavy backpack to set down under his feet - most thieves wouldn't try to make off with such heavy booty, but they definately wouldn't with it all underneath G'nar's very feet.

"I'm good with 'n axe 'n shield. Good at holding ta front lines."

G'nar shrugs, a bit of an understated motion given the heavy iron breastplate he was still wearing (and had no intention of taking off until it was time for sleep).

"Not much else. How 'bout ta rest of ya? 'N when are we leaving? Tomorrow?"

G'nar normally gruff tone holds an unusual note of expectation at the end. Given his promise to the innkeep's wife, he thought it best to fulfill his obligation and get some money fast before she grew impatient. Which meant heading down into the dark depths as soon as possible, preferably come morning.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Well, greetings, my monosyllabic friend! We'll be leaving tomorrow, at the crack of dawn. Unless I miss my guess, most of you have been traveling for some time to get here, so a good night's rest seems like just what we need. Maybe by then a real healer will arrive, too, but I don't have my hopes up too high for that, and it is almost too fortuitous for us to arrive all at the same time. we may as well make use of the time." Well, well, a very... up front group here. I hope there will be enough space at the front lines for all of us. Jaerg smiles widely, leans back, and orders ales for the entire table.

29. - Top - End - #29

Riktor Mathers

"Even if one does not show up, I feel good about this group. Four is a sturdy number and we each seem to be skilled enough to go a good distance to start with at least." Riktor says with a smile. then, raising his mug of ale he says, "Cheers to the Undermountain then?"
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

"To the Under-Mountain," Jole says, rather liking the sound of things.