New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Lords of Creation in the Playground IC

((Before the meeting with Xam))

Gifted with the grand power of the gods, Dalam began to look through the world, at the enemies she would have to face. And then she found him. The one that would vex her most in his "freedom"

"Oh Grand Gliss. Come to my court, let us...speak"

Her voiced dripped with sugery malice.

He heard the call. He was curious, curious as ever. He would go to her, though he would be wary. But the half-elves had proven before that, while they weren't the most...pleasant of people, they were nothing if not hospitable. And so he went.

"Yes, umm...I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch your name there. What, if I might ask, would it be?"

Dalam grins, full of malice. Now her people had a fighting chance. Now these...gods, could not merely destroy them, could not ruin their lives. They were equal

"I am Dalam Arwa Talsha! God General of Va'Tari, Daughter of Isul, Grand Daughter of the Original General Va'Tari. Welcome to the Palace of Justified Hate. Let us....chat....about what is to come.

"We shall make war upon you as your kind made war upon us. We shall not rest untill you are under our heel. But that does not mean we must be enemies. Let us share in this mutual war."

Gliss looks confused and somewhat concerned.

"War? When, Dalam, did the Grin ever make war upon you? We stopped the brute Magnus from destroying your ancestors the spiritborns' Sacred Glade, but we never made war with half-elves. And I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I highly doubt that you could truly conquer my people. I doubt even more that you could even reach them..."

We are long term thinkers. We will not destroy you today. Or tommorow. But know. You and I are enemies. But that does not mean we should not be civil. After all, you spoke so kindly to Isul before he died. Why should I be different?

And you ask when you made war upon us? By never aiding us. You looked upon us, yet did not save us from the atrocities the other species commitied. Inaction is the same as war.

"Why indeed, young one. There are few reasons to lose civlity. Had you but asked, the Grin would not have said no! We never deny aid to those who would ask it! In just defense we come to help. Never in attack, always defense...

That is the way of the Grin. It always has been and will be until we ourselves would need to attack.

But tell me Dalam- did the half-elves ever ask for the Grin's help? Or did they simply assume we would deny it?"

"I was but a babe when the Va'Tari cast away the gods. But I am sure there were times we lamented for aid. And it was never given."

"Not once, Dalam. Not once did the Va'Tari or Isul ask for the aid of any gods. Your people were not forsaken by any but those two. If you yourself were attacked and asked for assistance, the Grin would arrive and aid without a moment's hesitation. But I don't think you will, will you? You half-elves are far too wonderfully independent. You are strong. Noble. Brave. I admire that, I truly do. I think we might be more alike than Isul would have liked to admit, Dalam."

"You may lie to make yourself feel better, godling. The simple fact is that in the face of evil and hate, none should have to -ask- for help. But now. Now we shall give back what we had to endure. We will sweep over this world. Not now. Some day. And you and I...we shall have a civil war. And I shall be the victor."

With a raised eyebrow, Gliss began his retort,

"You certainly are confident, Dalam. Your confidence may be a bit misplaced, but that is neither here nor there. Tell me- when you do 'sweep over the world', is slaughter your only offer, or would you give the races of the world an alternative, a more peaceful subjugation?"

Dalam laughs, spreading her arms wide

"But of course! Serve, or die! All those "perfect" beings, created by the hands of the gods, in truth were merely made for our comming. Confidence is hardly an issue. It is divine birth right that my kind take this world for our own. While all others bow down, or are thrown into the Infernal Pits.

"Dalam," Gliss says with a smile, "I have an offer. What say we exchange ambassadors? You send to me a few half-elves and their families to live on the Grin, and a number of representatives from the Grin reside here? Should it come to war between us, we will send the ambassadors back home, a warning that war is about to begin. After all, the best battles happen when everyone is prepared."

"We can of course be kind enough to agree to these conditions. But let's make another deal hmmm? Those god lovers that attacked us today. Does that not...anger you? Even if we are "evil" and "cruel" shouldn't we be just as free as they are? After all, arn't they proving my point, that my people are hated and loathed by the gods themselves? Surely one as noble as yourself would...understand that plight?"

"I knew it would only be a matter of time until this was brought up."

Gliss smiled and shook his head.

"Yes, Dalam, your people should be as free as the followers of Amalthea, but, to be fair, you do keep slaves. The followers of Amalthea felt that those slaves had just as much of a right to be as free as themselves. If you wish to do keep slaves without being bothered by them, we of the Grin could provide you with a new home. We would be more than happy to transport the whole of your people to a new land if you wished it, but I don't think it altogether necessary. The 'god lovers', as you call them, will most likely leave you alone unless you directly assault them."

"We were living in these islands long before they came. Are we not a soverign nation? Their rules should not be -forced- upon us. After all, is that not my dominion? And the source of our eventual disagreements? We could have easily over took them the moment they landed. Waylayed them long before they reached the shores of their nation. We could even do so now. With the aid of our fiendish.....armies, and myself at the head, it would be easy to do. They would have no ability to stop us. We have the right to be here. Those slaves are kept well. After all they are a needed resource. That war was no war of ideals, it was a war upon us out of hate and fear. All I ask, is that...you allow -us- to be free as a nation."

"Hmm...it is true, you were here long before they were. Listen: should they attack again, dispatch a messenger to the Grin. You will have aid in your defense on the condition you don't send your fiends off of your islands. If they stay firmly grounded on the land, and you are assaulted, we will aid you in disabling their ships and stopping their attacks. Agreed, friend Dalam?"

"Very well, those terms are agreeable. Be safe, untill we can fight."

"Until then."

And Gliss took with him two half-elven noble families, one who was a squad commander and another who had produced great works of art. With them they brought their families and their house slaves. In the half-elven capital was left a noted capsin bard who had argued long for the protection of all people's rights under the laws and a dwarven priest who specialized in honoring gods in small and unobtrusive ways: no overly flashy displays of faith, just small and simple offerings and quickly muttered prayers.

The half-elves and their families adapted well to the Grin, and they were better received than many had expected slave-owners to be. What Dalam said was true, though: those who worked, and worked well, were treated as well as any common citizen.
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2008-09-02 at 03:47 PM.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Troll in the Playground

*The Void: Lossethir responds to Elimanishon*

"I do not hold dominion over the Tears of Varr...yet...go yourself and fetch a sample of the ice, with my unneeded blessing. But, not for a second do I think you a simple purveyor of alchemical curios. So, do me the honor of parting with an equal iota of information should I ever seek knowledge from you."

*The Void: Ice Drift*

After a long and well deserved celebration with Almathea's people, the Valkyries retired to the Void, some eager to regale their father with tales of the battle, others simply wanting to rest.

While Lucca describe the Nightjaws to the Winter Lord, Morgan and Sophia sat removed from the family gathering, gossiping about other matters.

"Did you see the way he looked at you? I think he fancies you..."
    "Who?" Morgan asked, genuinely curious.
    "Vincent! He couldn't take his eyes off you."
    Morgan blushed and almost scowled at the same time "The lean fellow in the long coat who was sinking all the ships? Well, why wouldn't he look at me? Not that I'm interested..."
    "I think he was rather taken with all of us...but maybe he just likes red heads?" None of the others had hair like Morgan, which was decidedly the color of freshly drawn blood. (That was of course how she'd describe it, none of this nonsense with likening the color to rose petals...)
    Morgan folds her arms defensively and looks away, "Well, if he does fancy me, he's got a lot to prove. He's just Almathea's servant anyway...and I'm not as easy as some of my.....WAAAAAH!"Morgan went hurtling through the Void after one swift kick from Sophia...who sat fuming thereafter.

Now fully and expertly apprised of the situation, Lossethir nodded in satisfaction and entrusted his most dutiful daughters (Olivia, Helen and Phoebe) with his plans.

"I could care less if the Va'Tari worshiped a plate of pasta. But they keep slaves...and they make pacts with these "devils". They are reckless and vile, they know not with what they traffic, and it's only a matter of time before they set their sights on Ramua. I entrust you to continue harassing them in a covert manner; sink their ships, set fire to their siege equipment. This must be done in secret, the other gods may be cross with us if they know you act on my behalf."

Olivia paced back and forth before consenting with a tiny nod, "I would prefer to simply confront them again and crush them under our boots. But, if you think it wise to employ subterfuge..."

Lossethir stood and embraced his cyan haired daughter, as a loving father does, not one who is simply relieved to have obedience. "You make me very proud, Olivia. Be safe...watch out for your sisters."

*Amensi: A short time later*

Lossethir arrives at the Grand Court and deposits in the fountain a lock of cyan colored hair, granting his daughters admittance into the pantheon.

((Valkyries: 1 AP = 2 - 1 (Join Pantheon)))
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2008-09-02 at 04:59 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ogre in the Playground

Then he looked to the small pool of fire he uses to see the world. "This fount keeps the strain from my eyes. It was lit from the Dragonfire, which is now part of me. With it, I lay my plans for the world and look upon it. And with it, I beleive we can give the world with a chance to defend itself. Spiders and magic gave the world weapons. The lupins, the beasts, they gave the world a view of nature working with civilization. And the dragons shall be it's salvation. It will be in three parts. But one of you needs to take upon something great. I shall hand to you five of my lung dragons. With them, we shall form a new type of dragon. I shall then give the mortals small portions of dragonfire for themselves. Then, finally, a new race, born from the wombs of all mortal worshiping races, and given the power of dragons, much like the deadborn or flameborn."

Xam smiled at the current audience. "But I'd love to hear your ideas to add to this, of course."
    Caina looked at Xam, and remembered the dragons she herself had met and fought. Some were evil, some righteous, some simply uncaring. A number of them held to specific codes of honors, others acted as they pleased. One common thread ran through all the dragons she had known, however: "Strength."

"What's that, dear?" asked Gliss, breaking from his contemplation.

"They're all strong. Not necesarily physically strong, but strong in their magic, or their nobility, or their physical prowess. They all, despite individual preferences, encompass certain ideals. The dragons of colors are physical vessels for chaos and evil, even though some have turned from this. The dragons from the dark wastes are paragons of tradition, keeping alive souls for generation upon generation. The lung dragons are scholars, wise and old. Shadow dragons hide their massive forms in the dark corners of the world, manipulating events with cunning and guile.

"All are ideals that mortals, under the right circumstances, seek to emulate. Should new dragons come to be, no matter what they try and become individually, they must be strong. And, accordingly, so must those who would be born as them. They must be strong, if not in body, at least in mind."

With a smile, Gliss commented on his daughter's speech. "Yes, daughter, very true. All the dragons who would join the sky knights on the Grin and live with the skybeasts are strong, though not all dragons in the world possess their nobility. Such strength is something to be desired, though. Wouldn't it be marvelous if there dragons such as that? Strong, noble, and good? Truly, it would be grand."

**The Grin**
    At Gliss' direction, the Grin had been moving steadily south for quite some time. Not much had changed since last they had seen the southern cost of Ramua. Not much at all.

Except...except...a single island, catalogued long ago and subsequently forgotten, had suddenly received a bit more interest. Why, you ask? They'd seen a dragon. An odd sort of dragon, that looked fairly different than others they'd seen before.

A scouting party went down to investigate: a minotaur warrior of immense skill, a maus librarian with an aptitude for languages, and a halfling bard whose dwarven cousin had loaned the group his moderately sized airship.

The trio landed outside a large cave in the side of the island, heard a bit of skittering inside. With the aid of a bit of magic, the maus yelled, "Hello?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The maus librarian has used Comprehend Languages and Tongues to talk to and understand whatever is in the cave
    Last edited by Vadin; 2008-09-02 at 05:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1324

The Hive buzzed with activity, great wings fluttered inside the grandest city of the Hachi. For ages, they had watched the world, as their creator the Earth Father had watched them. Every hundred years they would send out scouts, and they would return with news of the world. Practices of new magic, the languages of new races, and a small bit of history, skewed by the long ages.

A strange...ship had been sighted off their coast, the guards calling through the watch system, alerting of this strange new creation. And deep in the (above mentioned) cave, the defense force rallied quickly. Led by a large young Emerald Dragon known as Tl'Skhiq, the Hachi rushed to meet the "invaders"

The Dragon adressed them first, its voice deep and rumbling, the language a strange triple clicking buzzing noise not unlike the sylvan tongue at some parts.

"Creatures of the Outer World, the Lands known as Ramua and Xiua. Why have you come to this island?"
    My Current Works

5. - Top - End - #1325

Gwyn smiled, or at least, stretched the mouth of his skull-face into some sort of grimace.

"A covenant with the Eldest? I don't see why not!"
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2008-09-02 at 06:08 PM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ogre in the Playground

"Curiosity, mostly. We didn't know anyone lived here and we're always looking for new peoples to meet. My name is Nip, this is Dweomer, a halfling, and Eratricknius, my minotaur assistant."

Nip pulls out a book and begins furiously sketching and writing, turning page after page whilst never glancing at the pages, "If you wouldn't mind, who are you? You specifically, and everyone else here? We've never seen you before, and, honestly, that very rarely happens. Maybe you could elucidate us?"

7. - Top - End - #1327

The dragon looked to his fellows, buzzing softly to them for several minutes before turning back to the trio

"We are the Hachi, not me of course, but my friends here."

His wing swept wide to indicate the other creatures by his side.

"I am Tl'Skhiq, a ward of the island. It is..a rare..pleasure to have such bizarre and interesting creatures walking our island"

The Dragon arched its neck to get a closer look at the trio.

"We could take you into the city, you seem unarmed? We won't eat you, would you like that?"
    My Current Works

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ogre in the Playground

"AIEEE! Yes! Let's go!" Nip looks overjoyed at getting to see a brand new city from people no one has ever met before.

Eratricknius appears comforted at the prospect of labyrinthine caves for miles on end. Just like home, no matter how dangerous it was.

Dweomer is already composing stories about the meeting and writing tales about the vast untold treasures within the Hachi lands.

9. - Top - End - #1329

The walk wasn't long, the inner workings of the tunnles cutting the travel down to meer hours, rather then the day long hike it would have been over land. At the end of the long tunnel network a large basin opened up, a tall waterfall covering the entrance perfectly.

The city itself was built along the inner workings of the mountains. The Hive as it was called, was a large netweeok of multi-stepped towers, Hachi flying between them. And at its center, a giant almost honey combed structure stood, water pooling at its base making it a single giant island.

Tl'Skhiq turned to the trio

"Welcome to the Hive"
    My Current Works

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ogre in the Playground

"This...is..." began Nip.

"Glorious..." finished Eratricknius.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to give Nip, Dweomer, and Eratricknius a guided tour of the city. I don't even know what questions to have them ask.

11. - Top - End - #1331

The Hachi left the small party, flying off with a great buzzing of wing, leaving the dragon and its three wards to wander the sprawling city cente. The dragon pointed out the library, going on and on about the history found within, making it a point that if the three decided to stay for long, it was a place they would be more then welcome to join, the scholars would surely like to hear of the three’s history as well.

It also pointed out the defense towers, the Hachi “manning” them sleek like wasps, their armor made from gleaming polished crystal glittering in the streaming light. Their weapons were spears, tipped with vicious barbed serrated points.

And the tour concluded, sweeping over the large family units, the hatcheries for the young, and, of course, the center island of the whole Hive, the Capitol of the whole Hachi island, the Kings Room. With that, several heavily armed Hachi joined with the dragon and the trio, leading them down an expansive almost castle like structure, its wall’s made from a near transparent golden yellow liquid. Musicians played strange instruments, their humming echoing through out the whole building, and at the very bottom, nearly an hour after walking through the front gates, sat the King of the Hachi, a large bloated form, many female Hachi buzzing around him, chattering to one another as they bathed him in what little water trickled from the above ground pond.

The Dragon bowed low, and took several steps back, whispering in a hushed tone

“Grand Father, Voice of the Earth Father, we bring guests to your esteemed self. They come from the world around us, and they –visited- us.

And the King turned his massive head, his voice slow, almost ponderous in its nature

“Speak, what news have you?”
    My Current Works

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ogre in the Playground

"Things are afoot in the world, sir, and the races of above have interacted with each other for ages. We ourselves come from a land that roams across the sky, a land we call the Grin, a land home to most of the peoples that populate the world. If you would like it, we could offer your people their own island in the sky among us, an island they would be free to burrow into and colonize. That is, of course, if your people are able to leave you...?"

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Ogre in the Playground

Elimanishon: The Void - The Ice Drift

Elimanishon nods very slowly. Then he leaps down to the drift, claws free a minuscule fragment and puts it into a small glass jar. He looks up to Lossethir, nods again, smiles, and then jumps out into his own plane.

14. - Top - End - #1334

The King stirred, Brining itself to fully look at the guests

“Of course they can leave, if they so wish to. Such a strange question. But these flying lands. Who made them? We know little about the other lands. But why would my people wish to leave? This land was made for us and our gem brothers. We are safe, and it is peaceful. We have seen the battles that wrack the main land. We have long hoped they have all come to peace. Is that the reason you came?”

(went for a less..bright color)
    My Current Works

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ogre in the Playground

"In a manner of speaking, yes, King. We are here for peace. The flying lands of the summer god Gliss are his...experiment. Instead of isolation, Gliss seeks to bring all races together under common goals. Peace. Brotherhood. Cooperation. Success. Members of almost every race have come to the Grin to establish settlements there, and all races live in the central city we call Tether, the city that ties us together. If you were to send us a small but sustainable population to live on the Grin, it would greatly facilitate communication between out peoples, and, in the end, it's communication that creates peace."

16. - Top - End - #1336

"But we are safe now. We have been safe for a very long time. What would we gain from sending our children to a flying mountain, untouched by the Earth Father?"
    My Current Works

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ogre in the Playground

"Knowledge. Experience. The very things that make life worth living, sir! Our libraries, they would both benefit. Our sky knights could teach the secrets of synergistic battle with dragons. And think of all of the learning!" Nip is practically ecstatic.

"My friend, please, allow me to exchange words," says Eratricknius, placing a hand on the excited maus's shoulder. "Noble king, consider it a challenge. All other races coexist on the Grin, all individuals experiencing all that their lives have to offer. Do the Hachi have the ability to live to their fullest, to join the Travellers' Guild and search the world for the lost and forgotten peoples and places of the world? Well, king? Are the Hachi ready for such a challenge?"

18. - Top - End - #1338

The air of the throne room seems almost to hum as the King begins to drone. The Hachi flying about land, whispering to one another, visable only through the sound. The very air itself almost seems to come alive with the noise. And as it begin, so did it end

"The Hachi have existed since the Sun hung in the sky. My father, and his father, and his father before him sat in this very throne room. Speaking of a world, far outside our island. Mountains, rivers not from the springs found within the earth, grass and plants that stretch to the skies, far unlike our own. We have lived here with our dragon brothers. We have flown beside them. But you ask me? Are we ready to face this world, with its anger and its war? You ask one Hachi, and they will say yes. If your ask the whole, they will tell you it is to much work, to much effort to travel the world, when we all could sit here, and sleep out our days, and talk.

We are ready, my children and I. But what you should ask, little over world creatures. Is the world ready for us?"
    My Current Works

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Bugbear in the Playground

Xam closed his eyes. And he handed to Gliss five eggs.

"Hatch these when the time comes. And eventually, I shall show you further expansions of dragon and mortal mixing. But, also, call to Amalthea. You two must balance each other."

And Xam looked at the dancing flames. "For I have other plans beyond this should this not work. But I hope it shall. And I pray to you the same."

And then the spider god looked at his web palace. "Son, grandsons and granddaughters... thank you for agreeing to help me. Hopefully, soon, Chochin can help us. And eventually more gods of good shall come to the Playground."

And then Xam walked into a separate room. "Son, Gliss. I wish to show you something..."
    Alchemyprime's Omniblog
    Want some Pathfinder 1e homebrewed? Hit me up!
    Ted Kord Avatar by KPenguin!
    My Gaming Channel!
    My Carrd

Stuff about me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    Thank you very much. you know, I think I like you, Prime. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    You, sir, have created the best Pokerman possible. Here is your medal. Everyone else can just give up.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

"Now that is what I call an overwhelming victory."

"At what cost? I still lost 29 of my children that day..."

"What can I say? Nothing moves me quite like a good tragedy. They were beautiful deaths. Your forces were the only ones who held truth that day. They knew full well what to expect, and did as they willed. Were it Dalam or Isul in your place? They would not care the slightest. And I think your people know that. Which is part of why they fight.
    It was a wonderful show. Truly."

"Indeed, there is not a single one of my children who is unaware of what sacrifice i require of them, when their time arrives. It was indeed their own choice to follow my way." Amalthea continues as if lamenting
    "Still that does little to comfort the pain I feel for their loss"

"You wouldn't be who you are if you weren't in pain."

"How perceptive of you Destroyer. Yet the greatest irony is what Dalam did to her own people..."

"Ironic. Which is why it is fitting. The Va'Tari are built on cracked pillars. Jealous, greedy, arrogant, and hateful. These are wonderful and magnificent colors. Their leadership however is somewhat lacking. Short Sighted and idiotic. All we would have to do is watch as they collapse in on themselves.
    Recent events have made me wonder what I should do next. Do I stir things up, so that they go up in one magnificent blast? Or do I make subtle movements here and there so to show them the flaws?
    Clearly, it seems they believe that others belong to them. Should they not join the fate of their masters?"

The Destroyer laughs
    "I think I'll just free them. What's the fun of watching a person burning if they didn't hold the torch to themselves? Oh wonderful, burning Dalam. How many will be caught up in her flames before she has been consumed?"

"It would seem indeed that the battle of Dalam's Folly has carved her empire into a mere shdow of it's former.... glory. I felt the anguish and torment as she sacrificed a massive portion of her empire, and I can feel the pain and suffering caused by the schism of what is left of the Half-Elf empire. I can assume it is only natural. Thier hatred for gods means that they would take being forcably ruled by a so called 'god' very badly. It all comes down to choices my dear Destroyer. I fear that the split between the Half-Elves will continue for a long time... regardless of your intervention, whether it be subtle or not."

"What I imagine will happen, is that many of the Va'Tari will have been quite disappointed with what happened at this battle. She will of course execute those who say the truth, however that will only serve to increase dissent. No one will say anything naturally, but it will grow. The more I think about it, the more I realize she was doomed right from the start. A leader who doesn't believe in those they lead is worthless and can only bring failure and suffering.
    We need to free them. As soon as possible. Dalam would sooner eat her people than let them make their own choices.
    And yet even if we do eliminate Dalam, they are still not free. "Heaven" must be in flames before that happens.
    Speaking of, where is Vincent anyways. And yes, that I go right to that indicates I knew the answer before asking. What is Xam talking about? Is this some new scheme to punish people for their own good?"

"Eventually freedom will reign supreme, even in death those who do not follow Dalam will find the mercy of freedom. It is something that she will never understand. A house that has turned upon itself is headed for ruin. However she has too much pride, too much arrogance to see this, even should she remain with a single subject she will keep dreaming of the one time that she had an empire, and will continue to behave accordingly. Fear not though Destroyer, even ones as despicable as the Half Elves will receive thier mercy. To those who seek freedom and comfort, that I shall provide it. As for the rest, those for the sword, to the sword, and those for the plagues, to the plagues."

Amalthea says nothing for a moment suprised at the Destroyer's knowledge of Xam's summoning, and answers

"Guess there is little that you do not know o' Destroyer. Yes, Vincent has gone to meet with Xam in the plane of the World Web. Other than that, I'm afraid I cannot tell you much as the meeting is still going underway. However, do know that the forces of good seem to be marshalling. Why, if I didn't know any better, I'd say that is concern in your voice o' Destroyer!"

"That is because there is. There are many who call themselves good and use that as an excuse to do whatever they wish. Those that call themselves good may limit their own actions and fail to do what is necessary. Xam is not a capable leader, and if he would place himself at the head of these marshaled forces I do not believe that the right judgements will be made. For instance, I could imagine such a force eliminating me, when other threats still lurk. I should be killed later."

"I agree completely Destroyer! Remember, you will be the last of the evil gods, like that with your last breath, you will see the final triumph of good, by my hand..."

"That would be nice wouldn't it? I don't believe it would happen, but that would be the best way for me to die. It will most likely be by something evil, but stronger. Probably Varr. Things are going disgustingly easy for him."

"Yes, it does seem that your cries to the other gods have fallen on deaf ears, however know that I am fully aware of the threat, once being a follower of his during my time as a mortal"

"It's a pity that you do not remember more of your previous life. I could have used all the information on Varr I could get. I have a way of drawing out weaknesses. I was hoping that my efforts to attract more human followers would draw him out so I could understand him more."

Amalthea remains quiet as she tries to remember her past life as a human, little peices of memories here and there. "My.... race.... my people..... how could I have forgotten them? No.... I cannot let this be. I have to find them and guide them to my children..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Ettin in the Playground

Meanwhile, back in the site of the disaster, with the Nightjaws lurking in the newly formed reefs.

Amalthea's lost servants and many of the dead half-elves finds themselves unable to travel to the great afterlife.

Why? Because the sharks of Eul devoured them, flesh and soul. And in their place, there are lacedons, building on the sumerged ruins. To the glory of the deadfather.

[A nightjaw, telepathy]: "Glory to the Soulrender! Pain and death to the living!"

The undead labor tirelessly.

Truly, a magnificent work in disrupting all these people held in life. Agreed? That pleases the nightshades, sadic things they are.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

22. - Top - End - #1342

Xam looked about. He reentered the meeting room.

""We shall give all mortals a chance for mercy. We shall defend those that wish for mercy, truly, from those who would persecute them or exploit them. And, most importantly, we shall raise up mortals who have the potential to protect others, so that the remaining mortals do not look upon us as their only line of defense, only a stable one. We must nuture the mortal will to worship and to solve their own problems. To ignore one is to ruin mortals beyond beleif. Remember this.

"And if Amalthea wishes to become of my blood as well... she is more than welcome. She just need ask..."

And Xam sighed, as if he felt pain in his very body. "This punishment is hard on me... but it must be done..."

Then Xam looked to Vincent, then Gwyn, then Gliss and Caina, and around the whole room. He started to laugh.

"A side effect of my calling resonating in the World Web. I can hear when I am spoken of or when something peaks my interest. No, I am afraid the father of the Lady of the Healing Hand is not so wise. I have grown to realize the strength in numbers, the strength in trusting myself, the mortals and other like-minded gods. And so... I will allow the punishment Xiua'Hi and others push forward for now.
    "But soon... our dragonborn and those with the dragonfire in them by me or by the dragons, they shall rally the people! They shall allow the people to band together for their own good and for the good of others! They shall not be tyrannts, like Isul or Varr! They shall be just leaders, leaders that will take any challange to their leadership diplomatically, that shall lead justly and wise.
    "And in the end, the mortals, should they truely seek forgiveness, should even one mortal try to redeem theirself, and the others, and the world... a healing greater than any of all the gods combined shall take place. FOr as awesome as we are, it is a trivial matter for me to remake a village or Evadize to regrow a tree. But when a mortal does it, it is a sacrifice. Not of another's life, like the dark preists do. But a self-sacrifice, a sacrifice of time and energy for others. And I think that such a thing outlasts any single spell or miracle or power or trained martial art. Such a thing is precious."

And Xam smiled to Gliss, and Gwyn, and Vincent and Caina. "And new gods like you... you helped me see that age and wisdom do not go hand in hand. Foolish actions by myself and the Destroyer and Varr and Tanner helped with this too. So, here is what we shall do."

And Xam created a large board of oak behind him and the words he began to speak became chisled in it's surface.

"We shall help mortals help themselves. Just give them the push they need. A healing here, an epiphany there. A gentle hand so that some may think it was they who did it, but they themselves know it was divine. It is our responsibility, as I see it.

"We shall always allow for forgiveness before judgement. But it must be sincere. It takes much to illuminate a dark soul, but if we can see the light growing, the true feelings of guilt and regret and a longing for attonement, then we shall allow it.

"And, also, we shall attack the largest threats to the mortals, but not with full force. My brother is evil only by existance because he is an anathema to Playground. But he is my balance and so I cannot destroy him, just hinder and stop him, as he will me. The Destroyer is a trivial threat for now, compared to those who think what they do is for the good of the world. We must put the mortals as a whole first. THen we look at the planet."

And Xam looked about. "Can we agree on this? What alterations shall you wish to make?"
    Alchemyprime's Omniblog
    My Gaming Channel!
    My Carrd

Stuff about me
    Spoiler
    Show
    You, sir, have created the best Pokerman possible. Here is your medal. Everyone else can just give up.

23. - Top - End - #1343

Dalam: Before the Assembled Might of the Va’Tari

And Dalam’s vision stood in the sky, her voice booming over the islands of Evad, appearing to every half elf present

“My children! My People! My lovers and my personal enemies! Know that –I- Dalam Arwa Tashal am the inheritor of Isul’s glory! To his power and his grace! All our suffering, all our pain, all those god lovers who mocked our blight from above and abroad, are now trembling in fear with the knowledge we are all now equal. We no longer need to steal the power of the gods to protect us. We no longer need to hide in the shadows, our twilight is over!

The island’s of Evad practically shake with the cries and cheers of exuberance

“But my people, we are still not safe! You all are aware of the loss of our families, our children to the god lovers so close to us. They know not who they attack, just that we are evil and cruel, because we dared to grasp the sky and pull ourselves forward. Do you wish to return to the dirt my brothers and sisters? Do you wish to return to the mud and mire where we so long stayed? Do you want to fight against all creatures of the world? I hear the words NO! at your lips, I hear the words “We shall overcome!” in your hearts, and I hear the words “DEATH TO ALL WHO WISH US HARM!” upon your weapons! And -I- shall aid you. We fought together, alongside one another for so long. You know even if you hated me for my position before, I shall carry you like my family! I have ascended to the seat of the heavens! All our priests speak only of Dalam Arwa Tashal! And forever shall they.

I ask only one thing from you, my brothers and sisters! My sons and daughters!

And a hush went over the islands, the cheering all but dying in an instant. A cruel smile played upon Dalam’s lips

“LET US PRAY!”

And once more, the island’s of Evad, the nation of Va’Tari, erupted in hysteric prayer, the ur-priests throwing their shawls to the ground in devotion to Dalam, slaying all who refused, handing the bodies to the devils. There were only two paths for the Va’Tari. Ascend to heaven and serve alongside Isul in the afterlife. Or be devoured by the Infernal Pits, and struggle to serve the great Va’Tari nation once again in new and powerful forms. There was no argument among a single Va’Tari, all were swayed by the words of their God Queen.

Dalam Tashal, reigned supreme in the eyes of all half elves.

Srem High Priest: The Moon-Yueqiu

The moon had seen great prosperity, compared to their terrestrial nations. They had viewed the world below with power magics, seeing other creatures and races struggle, fight, make war, and come into existence. They followed the track of the sun in the sky, they followed the great calendars they had formed, and they consulted the powerful magics that could even pierce their way to their grand Father, The Moon Sheppard. Today, on the land known as the Swaying Grass, a spectacle was about to begin. They had missed the first, only a shadow was caught. But tonight, they would celebrate as they had not for ages. And deep in the great palace in the rain drenched water works, sat the Grand High Priest, known only as Sheppard’s Son, sat keeping the grand magics that parted the clouds operating. And suddenly, as they rotated just right, glimpsing the world for just the briefest moment with their own eyes, the world seemed to bloom as a giant flower. And in an instant, it was gone. The clouds sealed themselves shut, and the rain began in earnest, almost to mourn the death of the Moon Sheppard’s great moment. The priest sighed, and picked his umbrella off the floor

“Moon Sheppard…thank you for your glory”

I’kiti: The Swaying Grass

Years had passed in the Swaying grass, the great elders had created grand and sprawling cities, the Swaying Grass itself protecting the many Ushuru who lived within. Beasts from below had become a problem, snakes and other predator’s praying on the herd animals that munched quietly in the gently moving grass. Rain had become frequent as the fronds began to change from a rich healthy green to a dark almost vermillion red, the change of seasons were upon the Ushuru, and a great splendor in the sky was about to be seen. The moon slowly rose, and suddenly, the grass’s released their seeds into the air. And for all to see in the Swaying grass the air seemed to bloom, and just at the right moment, the moon pierced through the clouds, the pollen shining like a trillion silver coins hanging on the wind. A collective gasp echoed through the grass, almost as if the giant organism had lost its breath.

I’Kiti sat in stunned splendor with his fellow class mates, a young woman resting her head on his shoulder

“Who ever made the moon…has gifted us….”

I’kiti only nodded, blushing
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2008-09-03 at 01:59 PM.
    My Current Works

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not an alteration, greatgrandfather, simply a clarification: we will work to help all mortals, not simply those of our own flocks. We will help the cults of the Destroyer, the worshippers of Varr, and even the half-elves of Dalam. Even if some of you disagree, know this: I will support all who are violated and suffer not an unjust agressor to live."

"Now, Xam, you were saying something about these five eggs...?"

25. - Top - End - #1345

Xam nods. "You are correct, Gliss. Now, these eggs shall be hatched as a way to herald in a new age for the mortals after they have been punished by my eldest. First, I request you fill them with your energy. Then, give one to each of four other deities I called: perhaps Caina, Amalthea, Osric and Gwyn. THen have them all hatch. A hundred dragons shall come from these first eggs: all the dragons lay shall be one or two, perhaps three is they are lucky. When these dragons fill the skies, all who know evil shall fear and all who strive for good shall be filled with hope and courage. Then...

And Xam smiled wide.

"Then we shall work on redeeming the mortals and our fellows alike."
    Alchemyprime's Omniblog
    My Gaming Channel!
    My Carrd

Stuff about me
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1346

"A different approach from most: instead of leading the mortals, we are merely guiding them, pushing them in the right direction? If that is so, I have no qualms with that." Already, his brain was churning, thinking...
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ogre in the Playground

While Gliss and Xam had been talking, the eggs had warming. At the touch of Gliss' skin, they had started to absorb the summer's heat. One egg absorbed only the summer's brilliant color, the shining gold. Another egg, an egg that had been destined for the rocky earth, took on a subtle orange glow, shining cracks swirling along its surface. The third egg, the egg Gliss had held closest to his heart, absorbed most of the heat, becoming a thing set aflame without burning. The fourth egg absorbed mostly the wildness that was Gliss and began to change colors without ceasing, never the same shade or hue two seconds in a row. The final egg had been closest to Gliss' face and had been affected by his warm summer breath. It was light, unbelievably light, and seemed almost alive as it rocked back and forth.

"Oh!" yelled Gliss, noticing what he had accidentaly done to the eggs.

"Well, I suppose that's enough of my power in them. Gwyn, would mind caring for this one?" And Gliss hands Gwyn the egg that couldn't remain the same color for more than a moment. "Caina, perhaps you'd care for this one?" And Caina took with her the egg of magma that bubbled up from itself as though reaching for air.

"Of course, daddy! Just wait 'til I show this to Labby! Oh, he'll be so excited! I can't wait 'til it hatches!" And Caina took off as quickly as she had come to tell the Labyrinth all her news.

"I'll send this one to noble Osric." And the shimmering golden egg disappeared, showing up at the absent knight's side, wherever he may be. "Would any egg less radiant have truly been fitting?"

"I'll keep this light one for myself, and I ought to give the last one, this egg of flames, to Lady Amalthea. Vincent (that is your name, right?), would you mind bringing it to her? Don't worry, the flames won't burn you, they seem largely for show. And with that, Xam, everyone, I take my leave."

Gliss, with an egg in his hand, turned around and took a step. With a gust of wind he was gone, back to the Grin to keep his egg safe until the time should be right.

**Nip and company, The Hive**
    The minotaur spoke, "Yes, King. We are. And those who aren't will have to adapt quickly, because those who can't change stagnate, and those who stagnate perish."

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope nobody minds that I didn't want dragons in the setting to be as simple as shiny=good, colors=bad. We've got dragons that are in some way related to something shifting, dragons that are in some way related to flames that may or may not actually burn, dragons related to magma in one way or another, dragons that are either really light or really small, and, of course, and gold dragons that may or may not be typical gold dragons.
    Last edited by Vadin; 2008-09-03 at 05:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ettin in the Playground

Dis, Grand Citadel of the Infernal Pit.

The paelyrion assembled with his gelugon underlings and the nine lords in the halls of Dispater's castle.

Demons. Pah. How many losses did we suffer Sardahk?

A gelugon answered.

Sixty merregon. Four orthons and at eight buerozas. Mostly to the initial surprise attack. We were taken by surprise.

A third being enters the scene, Dispater.

That's the least of our issues. Just after the battle that wretched demon god came here and stole a piece of our world. Even now the spot reeks of the abyss. Sardahk, I want you to take a legion to the spot and start building a fortress there. Zariel thinks that spot might become a conterminous region and ushers us to defend it. Go.

The gelugon poofs away.

Sir. What about the half elven nation? Our contract...

Keep those soldiers there. Half their souls for five generations, those who went there can walk freely and offer contracts with impunity. Why hinder our operations such?

Of course. But the goddess.

She turns on us we turn on her, topple her nation and take their souls as our contract says. She comes here... Baator itself will take care of her.

-----

Xiua, Undead Encampments

Storms of Klik'Chak swept upon the land. The lowest forms of the undead went underground when they could, mindless zombies and skeletons, mostly zombies, were left to the winds while smarter undead fled it.

On all camps in the south of the peninsula, the nightwings sent the same orders.

Damned be the sand lord. Retreat to the peninsula. All of you.

-----

Ramua, anywhere.

Ghouls in every graveyard, not your average ghoul, these had leather armor. And they were stealing corpses in the night, it didn't matter what those corpses were, elf, human, they were stealing everything they could get their claws on. And every now and then, the living too would vanish in the night.

Creepy, indeed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ogre in the Playground

Xiua, everywhere

The Beholders all over Xiua stired at a silent call. The chaos in there blood, in there very soul told them all to go someplace. They didn't know where exactly, but they would go there. Though their purpose was to bring chaos into this world, to change things, they were just not enough.

And so they moved. They made no real effort to hide themselves, why should they? They were stronger, faster, and just plain better then everything on these lands. Or they thought, at least.

To the moutains in the North-East they went, though even they themselves were unsure as to where or why they were going. But, they knew in their very being that they would soon find out.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ogre in the Playground

Elimanishon, Solar Eternity: Sunflower Forges

A flurry of alchemical equipment buzzed around the sun lord as he toiled on his latest endeavor. The devices formed from half-thoughts, enough to hold and manipulate the delicate ingredients and ephemeral enough to corral raw thought and concepts. Above him the chain section had been boiled down and evaporated into a cackling gas while he added powdered god-arm to the tears. Everything moved under his will in chaotic, spiraling geometries. "Progress... good. Need more things. When will they come back? The cowards..."

He decapitated a black slaad and poured its essence into the mix. "Planar quintessence, fragments of the Creator and that over-divine Perfect Chaos, all infected by lesser divinity. There's only so much of it here. But they trail more of it here when they come, new strains." Elimanishon added a glass feather from his wings and the alchemical creation flared up momentarily. "Longlimb, Varr, and Luffen so far. More to come? Yes, yes. Maybe." The steel gas coalesced into the growing mixture and reality trembled even more than ever within the Eternity. Across the event horizon of this mass, he could see himself in an array of possible existences, the ones linked by this singular moment. Then it blinked away and the mixture took on a strange shape that violated existence.