New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Auromar: Beginnings and Endings (IC4)

Sarai smiles and half bows to Kjapp. "My sisters thought you were cute, but could not keep up to stop you on your run. Although, I do not think you were the Voice then, sir."
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid's smile changes as he hears the title implied in her statement. He glances over at Kjapp, curious but too polite to ask.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

Grazys chuckles as he waves greeting at the newcomers. "Tha trip wasn't too bad! Refreshin' an' enlightenin', ta boot!"
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Bugbear in the Playground

Uri

The knight stands aside as the friends reunite. As they pause he steps forward and says Ms. Anura, Ser Kjapp I am Uri Arvis Knight of the Evening Star. I am at your service. with a small bow. He then steps back, allowing the discourse to continue.

He looks at Reid for a moment, and smiles an odd half smile that almost looks to be a frown.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

5. - Top - End - #785
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

Kjapp had arrived not wearing his usual chain mail armour but rather an open shirt with the sleeves rolled up, showing off most of his arms and upper chest.

At Reid's introduction and Sarai's comment Kjapp chuckles and returns the bow. "Nice to meet you Sarai. You're right, I wasn't the voice then, though please, call me Kjapp."

With a playful wink he adds "Maybe I should learn to slow down once in awhile, I may be missing some interesing people"

When Uri steps forward he nods to him. "Any friend of a soul as good as Reid can't be half bad, glad to make your acquaintance"
    Last edited by Greymist; 2008-12-02 at 06:47 AM.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

It might be wise. I still remember our escape from Incrucio. Don't think I'll ever recover from trying to keep pace with you there...

Hist doesn't step forward, but bows, smiles, and laughs at his own joke.

Good to see you, Kjapp.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid smiles, and then seems to remember the hundred-plus people standing around waiting for them.

Ahem. Perhaps we could best continue this conversation on the other side of the forest.

He gestures to the nearest sizable tree, and smiles at Anura.

Would you like to do the honours?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #788
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

Good to see you again also Hist...and yes well, I seem to recall that was because there was some interesting people I didn't want to meet.

He waves to those of the towns folk he remembers.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greyen View Post
    Uri

The knight stands aside as the friends reunite. As they pause he steps forward and says Ms. Anura, Ser Kjapp I am Uri Arvis Knight of the Evening Star. I am at your service. with a small bow. He then steps back, allowing the discourse to continue.

He looks at Reid for a moment, and smiles an odd half smile that almost looks to be a frown.
    Anu
    Anura blinks as the stranger steps forward and bows herself after only a moment's hesitation.

"A pleasure, Saer Arvis. Your Order's history is a long and storied one. I'm sure we'll be glad to have a warrior such as yourself with us."

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Reid

Reid smiles, and then seems to remember the hundred-plus people standing around waiting for them.

Ahem. Perhaps we could best continue this conversation on the other side of the forest.

He gestures to the nearest sizable tree, and smiles at Anura.

Would you like to do the honours?
    Anu
    Anura shakes her head with a slight frown. "No, actually," she says in a lower voice. "I still think what you're planning to do here is a serious mistake, and I want to have as little to do with it as possible. We do have things to talk about in private though. Since the sun will be setting soon, maybe your followers could take a break here, maybe even make camp, while our group can withdraw a bit and take care of our business. Then you can go ahead with your plan, if you must."
    Last edited by guardinal; 2008-12-02 at 01:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

The binder arches an eyebrow and stares blankly at Anura. "It seems we do have much to discuss."

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid is clearly perturbed that Anura will brook no criticism of the way that she makes use of the ring, but has no trouble peremtorily changing the plans of a hundred other people. He takes a deep breath, and says nothing. A smile returns.

They are not my followers, Anura, but I appreciate the compliment. I'd love a few moments with Sarai. Why don't you go explain to the settlers about the delay, and we'll wait for you just inside the forest?

12. - Top - End - #792

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I have to say that Reid's reaction again surprises me. With no warning he put Anura on the spot, in front of the whole crowd, to do something he already knows that she thinks is a bad idea. And then you want to make her out to be the bad guy for suggesting we instead take a private moment? Please.

Anu
    Anura frown deepens a bit at Reid's transparent insincerity, but after a moment she shrugs and turns around to face the people milling around. She pulls out her glowing orb and silently wills it into light for a moment to get the group's attention.

"If I could have your attention a moment, folks?"
    she calls out in a clear, friendly voice, and waits for any buzz to settle down before continuing. "Our group needs to have a bit of a pow-wow in private. Probably it will take less than an hour. I can see that you're tired from your travels. I suggest taking a break, maybe decide among yourselves if you want to make camp here or press onward. Alright?"

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy check (w/divine insight bonus) (1d20+30)[32] to keep the crowd friendly/at ease/cooperative.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Troll in the Playground

Most of the group seems fairly amiable to that idea, considering they can actually rest under actual shade trees and not have to worry for a little while.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: It's actually around mid-day or so, not that late in the evening.

You all walk a bit further into the woods, away from any real ease of listening by the group that came. Sarai comes along, walking closely with Reid.

Don't be stupid.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

Grazys holds up his hands once the group seems to find a suitable location. "Behave, children. We're all on tha same side, eh?"

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by guardinal View Post
    OOC: I have to say that Reid's reaction again surprises me. With no warning he put Anura on the spot, in front of the whole crowd, to do something he already knows that she thinks is a bad idea. And then you want to make her out to be the bad guy for suggesting we instead take a private moment? Please.
    Another way to look at this is that Anura has had no problem with asserting her own right to do what she wants with the ring, and completely dismissed Reid's suggestions about other approaches, but seeks to block his own use of the ring. If we had gone through a portal first, the townsfolk could have gone on their way and we could have parted company before we settle down for a chat - but now they're stuck here for what is likely to be more than a moment.

And with no warning? Reid was very clear about what he wanted to do three weeks ago. As you say, "Please."

Look, this is boring for all of us. We've got a hundred people that were, for lack of a better term, refugees. Reid feels some sense of responsibility for them - for reasons that you would no doubt dispute, but he did. If we have a better way to help them through the forest, let's do it and move on. If we don't, can we refocus the conversation on the actual plot of this story?

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid settles wherever Sarai suggests, and holds a hand to his forehead. He waits until the others are present to speak.

Anura, I apologize for speaking sharply. There have been some events in recent days that, well, are a great deal to take in. I suppose I'm on edge. It's no excuse.

He manages a smile.

It is good to see you - both of you. How was Dothen's funeral?

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

What is goin' on in that mind o' hers? The binder ponders silently as he looks from Reid to Anura. I'll not delve into that morass, though.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

Once they find a spot away from prying ears and Kjapp looks around to make sure no one has followed.

"It was a simple affair Reid. Dothen was buried under Yggdrasil's branches by the treant Freemen and all agreed he would be missed though we had not known him for long"

With a quick glance at Anura and Sarai he continued.

Grazy's you mentioned the trip was enlightening? Anura and I have much to tell but you can start if you like.
    Last edited by Greymist; 2008-12-02 at 04:58 PM.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

We have more than a little ourselves. A divine mandate crops up once or twice

Ours is a pretty dramatic tale though. And rather immediate. Perhaps you will care to start?

Spoiler
    Show
    Fair warning, Guardinal. I see an argument approaching between Hist and Anura. A large one, even by our standards

Oh, and possibly a spell duel. Possibly.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

Grazys shrugs. "I would, but tha reason for my enlightenment should be Hist o' Reid's tale ta begin, then my information will follow!"

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid smiles.

I believe our news to be good, but still difficult to believe, even after I heard it from Pelor himself. Pygas, as was discussed back in Incrucio, is alive, and seems to be working back towards godhood with the blessing of the other gods.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

Kjapp leans back on his heels after hearing of the divine involvement a surprised look on his face.

"Well if we're going for hard to believe, I think I can add to that. Anura has come across a particular tale of how our world grew to be how it currently is, the story involves the Overgod planting seeds in the waters that were this world. The seeds grew or withered, as plants do, and those which broke the surface of the waters formed the islands and continents we now stand on."

"When we were in the forest Anura asked Krista about this and she confirmed that the Lands Heart, where the seeds reside is a very real place."

He pauses a moment to allow Anura to add to this or take over the retelling.

"There is more to it though, a some what more disturbing part of the story is the Overgod's decree in regards to the seeds which goes as follows." he flounders a bit at he tries to recall the exact words used "To thou who are immortal, these seeds are here at my planting and no other divine hand may influence their growth. To change the world is left in the hands of those who lives are fleeting. To those immortals who which to touch the Heart of the Land thou may only do so through a mortal champion."

"The short of it is this, it's possible that the seeds of this continent may have been touched and altered which caused the curse all those years ago. Anura thinks it could have been an agent of Pygas, or the Scholar, which carried his word and blighted the seeds."

He seems to be about to go on but abruptly stops and looks around at everyone.

Spoiler
    Show
    guardinal you can cut Kjapp off at any point and I'll edit my post.
    Last edited by Greymist; 2008-12-04 at 08:29 AM.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist looks suprised at this, but smiles gently as Kjapp comes to a stop

I have much to declare. However, this is the appropriate moment for one thing

I found out that Pygas and the One were, indeed the same. And yet, not. There was definetly some event that shifted Pygas' doctrine to the Tyranny of the One. And whatever this was, it was a thing that the gods are barred from speaking of. Hense the difficulty of finding out such...

What could cause such a change? What indeed...

He leaves it at that. He steps back, smiling, leaving the group to ponder the combination of that fact, and the tale Kjapp told..
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

25. - Top - End - #805
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Kjapp

Kjapp quietly adds It seems all immortals, not just the gods, are barred from speaking of such things. Krista spoke of an interdiction, the land itself stopping her from discussing what caused Pygas to change.
    Last edited by Greymist; 2008-12-04 at 09:56 AM.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ogre in the Playground

Hist

Hist is suprised, though he tries not to show it.

They mention this only now? Granted, this buisness with Land-Seeds sound important, but still...

Outwardly though, he smiles.

Indeed. Perhaps this indervidual, and this past change, affected more than Auromar...
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-12-04 at 10:01 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Reid

Reid muses aloud, his hand entwined with Sarai's.

So, if the curse originates from this Land's Heart place, and immortals can't even speak of the place, it certainly makes sense why they are acting through agents, like us.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Bugbear in the Playground

Uri

I wonder if Pygas, being bound to this land was cursed by the same curse that affected the Land Seed? Uri wonders aloud, almost to himself.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

Grazys

Grazys arches an eyebrow and strokes his goatee. "Interestin'! That might 'splain..." he says trailing off into a brief silence. "I need ta speak with tha remains o' a former Herald o' Pygas, Eros, whom I met in our little session tha other night. Now, from what y'all're sayin'," he nods to Kjapp, "tha restin' place o' all tha Heralds is said ta be together with their Lord. Mebbe this is where tha Land Seed for Auromar lies? Also, mebbe that's why Pygas changed? He had an agent tamper with tha seed in order ta make some drastic alteration, but it went too far, or was corrupted or somethin' along those lines?"

30. - Top - End - #810

DruidGuy

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Toli- I agree that these constant arguments are distracting and not always enjoyable. I'm open to changing the dynamic. Maybe there will be some opportunities in this discussion to getting one rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Reid
    Anura, I apologize for speaking sharply. There have been some events in recent days that, well, are a great deal to take in. I suppose I'm on edge. It's no excuse.
    "I accept your apology," she says in a neutral voice. She looks tired.

When the group has walked far enough, Anura casts a long spell, then invokes 'see invisibility' from the hand of glory, then another short spell. A globe of pale gray force springs up around them.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting 'Rary's arcane conversion' to exchange a 'phantom steed' for 'Leomund's tiny hut,' which she then casts. The hut is opaque from the outside (screw you, lipreaders!), but those inside can see through it clearly.

'see invisibility' from hand of glory (70min) to scan the ethereal (screw you, Pygas-ghosts and Grahf-minions!)

Her already-cast dragonsight gives her 60ft. blindsense, so she'll be aware of anyone within range trying to listen in (screw you, rogues and shadowdancers!).

Yes, paranoid.

When Reid enters the sphere, she retrieves Krista's ring from her pack and holds it out to him.

"As I promised," she says solemnly. She falls silent for a while as the group starts to relate their various bits of news.