Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Dawn of the Jedi ~ Act I: There is no Emotion, There is Peace

Dawn of the Jedi
    Act I: There is no Emotion, There is Peace
    Scene I: Dining with the Gorgias

Spoiler
    Show
    I originally intended to give you individual explanations for how you all came to be here, like I did with Tyranny of the Jedi, but the lack of Lira's expanded backstory precludes that. Instead you'll just have to fill in the blanks yourselves.

You are all gathered in the grand dining room of the Gorgias estate. It is a lavishly furnished room, but its other furnishings pale in comparison with the table around which you sit. The table is massive thing made of pitch-black wood. It is said to have been carved, not built, hewn out of a single giant log. It is far too large to have been borne through any of the entrances to the room. The hall was actually constructed around its centerpiece.

Your host, Polus Gorgias, reclines on a couch at the head of the great table. The meal is already finished with, but he asks you to linger a while.

"I am curious,"
    he says, idly swishing the wine in his golden goblet, "I have heard many of you believers in the Ashla speak of a desire to resolve your conflict with Ra Mahk and his followers through diplomatic means. Why? He has slain your leader and driven you into hiding. For fear of his 'Bogan,' the government hardly even tries to stop him. Only you have access to similar abilities. Only you have the power to seek vengeance... just retribution... Yet still you talk of peace? Why?"
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dawn of the Jedi ~ Act I: There is no Emotion, There is Peace

For Rover, the sumptuousness of his surrounding seems almost like a thing worthy of his disgust. Thus, the big man is eating little, looking uncomfortable and frowning a lot. His blue eyes seem to be fixed on everything but their host and he is the picture of a country man trapped in an alien environment. His big hands have finally taken to wrenching a napkin and reducing it to quivering little threads, without obvious thoughts to what he is doing.

In his mind, he thinks how Tally would have handled this awkward dinner with her customary grace, or how the twins could have played catch underneath the table. And for the umpteenth time he questions his wisdom of coming here, of leaving his home and his Lahka, the herd so meticulously built up after the abra outbreak a few years ago which could have cost them their livelyhood. Now, it turns out, that he did that. And obsessively, he compares the small two room house here with their farm, and the bustle of the city with the peaceful countryside.

Yes, Rover is homesick. So much that it hurts inside him and he has taken to brooding... Gorgias' question startles him.

"Because fighting would not bring them back. It would only bring more death and nobody can want that", he says before thinking about it. It's a lesson he was not taught by their teacher, but by his years of service before...
    Winter is coming.

PbP Games:

Spoiler
    Show

Character:

Wonderful Avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3

BlueWizardGirl

"True," Gorgias admits, "It would bring more death... but so would letting that barbarian go free. Or do you believe you will be able to reason with Ra Mahk?"
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Li Mehk had enjoyed the meal prior, particularly the excellent wine - he would have to remember to ask what vintage it was when he left. He idly thought that a little music would improve the rooms atmosphere, but otherwise was very comfortable in the luxurious surroundings. He listens respectfully to Polus' words, but he has the air about him of one wo had been asked the same question a thousand times before - by himself as well as others. He speaks with a strong, almost lyrical quality to his voice, the product of numerous days spent training his voice during his past, theatrical days.

"Doing so would merely perpetuate his order - they thrive on violence, sir. Not only would we be adopting their methods and becoming like them, but they would only strike back again and again. The loss of life would be," Li takes a final sip from his wine glass, draining it. "Unacceptable."

Placing his glass on the table, Li leans back contentedly, gladly willing to satisfy someones curiosity in exchange for the excellent meal he had just enjoyed.
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2008-11-28 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Text Colour Change
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Bricriu

"Gorgias, you must understand. There must be a peace reached. How many people will die if we cannot reach a peace? There were mistakes made on both sides. If the master had been able to have other masters to aid in the teachings, perhaps Ra Mahk wouldn't have gone down the road he has if he had learned peace...and, more importantly, moderation." Bricriu sits comfortably in a chair. Even though he has, for the most part, forsaken lavish material goods, he cannot deny how comfortable Gorgias' place is. As much as he wants to tell of his experiences in the years following the master's death, it wouldn't be prudent.

We are two parts of a whole. Unity must be reached and balance restored. There is no name for it, but Ashla and Bogen are the same thing...it's all in the intent and heart of the user.
    Formerly known as Raven T.

Never bother a wizard when he's wizarding! -Harry Dresden

Body by Buddha, Yoshi by rtg0922.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Jo

In contrast to a few of the others, Jo Norala is utterly at ease with her surroundings; it is, after all, hardly her first time dining at the Gorgias estate. Dressed for the first time in a long while in her customary formal skirts, ensconced in the luxurious chair, she drinks Polus's excellent wine as her companions answer his first question, seemingly foolish even as it cuts to the very core of the issue.

"As my companions say, further conflict would serve Ra Mahk more than anyone. Even were we to kill him, in death his martyrdom would propel a thousand thousand more to seek the power of Bogan. Were his death to be violent, as it no doubt would be, would simply strengthen the Bogan all the more. The old master always taught that Ashla was, above all, peace and compassion," a smile graces her lips as she pauses to take another sip of wine, emptying the glass. As she holds it for a servant to refill, she continues, "Well, that was one of the things he taught. He also taught that the Ashla is all-encompassing and ever-changing, so it is difficult to pin down a precise categorization of what is and is not of the Ashla. One thing, however, was always clear: death, destruction, and pain are the province of the Bogan. For us to resort to that, we would simply become that which we oppose."
    Avatar: Dave the Drone Rigger, by Brickwall

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Rosa

"Who says we could beat them, anyway?" Although not so ill at ease as Rover, the girl looks rather out of place, kicking her heels back and forth under the table. Her skirts are as lavish as their surroundings, and she doesn't really look happy with the layered garments. They'd been pretty until she'd had to sit down for more than five minutes in them, at which point she'd decided they were both uncomfortable and a little tasteless. Rosa was a little in awe of their host, though, so rather than dealing with her discomfort in her usual way—by making sure everyone around her knew it—she'd been uncharacteristically quiet for much of the meal.

Now, though, she's sat up a little, raising an eyebrow as the others address the question as a philosophical one. "I mean, we're losing. There's way more of them than there are of us. Even if we did decide we wanted revenge or needed to bring him to justice, we'd probably die. If we can convince him to stop hunting down and killing people, that's good enough."
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #8

Li smiles pleasantly at Rosa.

"Of course, as my attractive young companion points out; the logistical side of things is also a factor. Perhaps if we had turned to force at the beginning of this conflict, we may have been able to raise an appreciable defense. As it is, we have lost scores of our number who wanted nothing more than to live in peace.

The lean young man sighs softly, his facing becoming more grim.

Truly; the Bogan bring only violence and death in their wake. I hope that a peace will be reached between us, but I fear for the future all the same."
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2008-11-28 at 09:38 PM.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlueWizardGirl

"And what," Gorgias asks, "if your diplomatic venture fails? What then? Would you be willing to defend yourselves... or would you join the silent martyrs moldering in the grave?"

He laughs a bitter laugh.

"In the face of overwhelming force, pacifists are quickly swept away."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Li raises an eyebrow, still smiling broadly. He tilts his head up, a look of amiable contemplation upon his face.

"Oh, we're quite prepared to defend ourselves... Quite prepared indeed... In any case, we shall just have to make sure it doesn't fail, then, won't we? I have confidence in my own abilities, as well as those of my companions in the Ashla. We will do whatever is necessary to ensure a lasting peace. Whatever is necessary. I have learned that inaction in the face of aggression brings results almost as terrible as reciprocating that violence without first attempting to make peace."
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2008-11-28 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Text Colour Change

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Rosa

"We're not just going to roll over and die," Rosa mutters. "I just think it'd be stupid of us to try and fight if we don't have to. Overwhelming force sweeps away underwhelming force pretty quickly too, you know." Evidently, she's less confident than Li in their abilities.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Jo

Jo's expression is somewhat grave as she replies, "Though I do not speak with the...force of my companion, trust me when I say that we are far from pacifists. Many of the Master's students came from the military and other martial pursuits; the discipline needed in a fighter and that needed in a student of the Ashla are remarkably similar. Besides, did you not know my parents better than to accuse their daughter of pacifism? Or have you missed my fencing career? No, we stand well-equipped to fight if needed...but to not at least attempt a peaceful solution would be to spit on the Master's grave." The delicate nose-wrinkle accompanying this final pronouncement leaves little question as to Norala's opinion of spitting on graves.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlueWizardGirl

Gorgias leans over the table.

"This is not intended as any sort of an accusation, just as food for thought, fuel for discussion..."
    he explains. He pauses to take a sip of his wine before proceeding.

"Have you considered... well, have you considered that your revered master could be wrong? Have you considered that it might be the duty of a free man to take up arms against injustice, to answer it with more than the tongue or the pen? Your inclination toward peace is admirable, surely, but is it practical? You say that you are prepared to defend yourselves if necessary, but the record of recent years suggests that such preparations proved insufficient protection for many of your fellows. Your presently disadvantaged state surely indicates a deficiency somewhere in your approach to the conflict... My question, and here I pause to remind you that I pose this question merely for the purposes of discussion, my question is, 'Could the fault lie not in your practice of your master's teachings, but rather in the teachings themselves?' If the old monk had taught you to be quicker with the blade, quicker to strike back against injustice... could this whole problem have been quelled before so many flocked to the banner of the Bogan, the lure of easy power?"

Spoiler
    Show
    He's a bit long winded, I'm afraid.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Li turns his head, looking straight at their host, his expression unreadable.

"That is not the way of the Ashla. While some of us do work on perfecting our skills in the art of combat, we do so to further our connection to the Ashla, not the other way around. Were we to let our fear and desire for revenge fuel an aggressive war against the Bogan, we would become indistinguishable from them.

You are almost right, in any case. I believe that this is our last chance for us to end this conflict peaceably. If this fails, then we will have no choice but to unite, arm and attempt to destroy the Bogan, to protect the way of the Ashla. If the other nations do not act out of fear to strike down this injustice, then we will stand alone. I have no doubt that even were we to successfully do so, the Bogan would rise again and perpetuate this conflict, perhaps not for years, generations even, but inevitably. There will always be those willing to give in to the treacherous lure of the easy power that the Bogan brings. It attracts the corrupt and the twisted. Even if we were to defeat them, I fear for what the followers of the Ashla would become after that bloody victory.
    "

Li sighs softly, looking momentarily tired.
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2008-11-28 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Text Colour Change

15. - Top - End - #15

BlueWizardGirl

"Do not take my questions as accusations, son," Gorgias says in a mildly scornful tone, "As I said before, I'm merely interested in your opinions. There's no need to get worked up about it. A little friendly debate is good for the soul."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Bricriu

"Ah, but Li...will we not become that which we strive to stop? Violence breeds only more violence. This has nothing to do with the Ashla or the Bogen. It is a fact of humanity. It is imperative that we find a peaceful solution to this matter in some form or another. There can be no other way.

"If we fail in this mission, then the world is doomed. If we do not, then we have failed. Even with power comes the requirement to bear the responsibility for your own actions. The Bogen does not teach that. That is why they are so destructive and dangerous. If we can convince even a few to see that their way leads to ruin, then a victory, however small, has been achieved. It gives hope for the future.

"There are things I've seen and experienced. It has taught me that neither side is completely in the right, but...well, that is a story for a different time. I am here because the Bogen must be stopped from destroying the world."

17. - Top - End - #17

Li looks apologetic to his host, realising he has made a diplomatic error.

"I am sorry, sir. The troubles in recent times have left us all a little tense as to the situation. I apologise."

The young man then turns his eyes to Bri.

"I am not sure whether the Bogan have the power to destroy the world - but your words do have wisdom in them. I know that we must avoid violence unless completely necessary... But with each day more of us die, and it looks as though we may have no choice but to take up arms against the enemies of peace."
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2008-11-28 at 09:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Bricriu

"I..." Bricriu seems quite conflicted for a moment. "It is difficult to explain. I really do not like the idea of fighting anyone. When people are killed...nothing good is accomplished." He sits back some, rubbing his temples. "I believe my point is made and shared by the group, so I will say no more. My mind is a little fractured trying to deal with the "what if." The Ashla has taught me to live in the moment and not concern myself with the negative possibilities."

19. - Top - End - #19

BlueWizardGirl

"Very well... If diplomacy is your goal, then persuasion must be your means, and rhetoric the chief weapon in your arsenal. To learn how to defeat the Bogan, you must learn how to debate it, and to learn to debate it... you must learn what it is," Gorgias pauses, seemingly in contemplation of the wine in his goblet. A serving girl emerges from the corner of the room and moves to fill the cup, but he waves her away.

"There is a man on the island of Lacae, north of here. He's the leader of the Tethian Army's garrison there. Though he cannot officially acknowledge it due to Ra Mahk's... legal troubles... it is no secret among the aristocracy that he has learned something of the Bogan. He is willing to spread that knowledge to other military men, and to the sons... and occasionally the daughters... of the nobility. I believe between our Mr. Tanna's military service and Lady Norala's bloodline you would have no problem finding favor with him. I suggest you go to him, present yourselves as students. Learn something of the Bogan... learn enough about it to effectively argue against it. Then you will be ready to face Ra Mahk... in a diplomatic situation, at least. I make no promises about being able to meet him on the battlefield."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Bricriu

"That plan seems a little...weak, but it may just be the right way to go." You want to expose these kids to the Bogen?! Are you insane? They lack the wisdom of age to know how to temper it. This is a disaster waiting to happen and I cannot say anything, lest I be thrown out of the citadel. Ashla, show me the right way....please....

21. - Top - End - #21

Li raises an eyebrow to their hosts suggestion, running it through his mind quickly, and dismissing it faster.

"A... Creative solution, sir. I cannot say anything conclusive without first conferring with my companions, but that may just be the way to go."

I do not need to understand the Bogan to know that it, and all who practice it are evil. Perhaps irredeemably so. This plan is useless. I'll be happy when my brothers and sisters stop dying, not before.
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2008-11-28 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Text Colour Change

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Jo

Jo is oblivious to her companions' misgivings, Now, why didn't we think of that? "That is an excellent plan, Master Gorgias!" Jo exclaims. "The best way to defeat one's enemy is to understand them completely. Of course, we must take care: the Master always warned of the ease with which one falls to the quick and improper ways - that is, the Bogan. Still, if we cannot gaze into the abyss and pull back from its edge, how can we ever hope for victory over those who have dived in?"
    Last edited by Minchandre; 2008-11-27 at 01:49 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Bricriu

"There can be no 'victory,' only an equilibrium. If you think of these two schools divided in half, a good and evil, if you will, then neither side can completely extinguish the other. Neither side seems to understand this. What if...what if there is not Ashla or Bogen as we know them? What if it just...is? A neutral force in all things, and, as such, would seek to balance itself." Bricriu began to speak a little more than he wanted to, but the young ones must be prepared for the journey ahead.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Rover, who listened to the discussion with his usual bland look, becomes more involved with Gorgias suggestion.

"I do not have to taste poison to know it will kill me.This is a dangerous idea. We've seen so many who just tried to look for strength suddenly drown in it. Why do you think there are so many of them?"
    Winter is coming.

PbP Games:

Spoiler
    Show

Character:

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueWizardGirl

"If you refuse to learn the Bogan," Gorgias says somewhat irritatedly, "you must at least learn of the Bogan. How can you speak against a thing you do not understand?"
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"A thing we do not understand? What is there to understand? You called Rah Makh a barbarian. Your city is overflowing with refugees. People have lost their loved ones, their homes, their livelyhood."

He flinches, his face darkening. "What do we have to learn of this? Yes, I do not want to fight them, if we don't have to. If they can be persuaded to stop, then they can be left in peace. But if they force us, we will destroy them. Getting to know them is not necessary. We already know all we need to know. Just dealing with them."
    Last edited by Liliedhe; 2008-12-08 at 04:30 AM.
    Winter is coming.

PbP Games:

Spoiler
    Show

Character:

27. - Top - End - #27

Li nods to their host, turning his head away and almost frowning at the words of his companions at the table.

The man's plan is folly, true... But the least they could do is show a little diplomacy, a little tact to our host.
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2008-11-28 at 09:40 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

BlueWizardGirl

"Very well," Gorgias replies, "But I cannot help you if you are not willing to learn. Without an understanding of their position you will be hard pressed to debate against that position effectively. Have you considered that there may be a method to their madness?"
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Jo

"That is a dangerous path," the girl says coolly, "And detrimental to you, besides; if you ask us to consider that there may be sense to the Bogan, you may shortly find yourself playing host to six users of Bogan instead of Ashla. And since you seem opposed to the Bogan, well, that hardly seems advantageous to you. If I may, might I ask your interest in the matter?"

30. - Top - End - #30

Li looks thoughtful, appearing to consider the question carefully.

"A method? They kill, maim and destroy. It comes naturally to them. There are not many reasons for an intelligent being to willingly kill another one of his species. The only possible ones that come to my mind are for personal gain, coercion and sport. An Assassin kills for personal gain. A Soldier kills because it is his duty. A madman kills for sport. I know not why the followers of the Bogan do as they do, but I suspect it to be mostly the former and partly the latter reasons. Li turns to his host, smiling. Do you have any theories yourself, sir?
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2008-11-28 at 09:41 PM.