New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Worst Observed Rules Interpretations (by DM or Players)

I figure we can tell some stories about how DMs, Fellow Players, or even ourselves have Interpreted rules completely incorrectly.

For instance, one game I played (3.0), the DM had a dice rolling system that was "based off" the 4d6 drop one. Instead, you roll all 24 dice, dropping the lowest 6. Then you can combine the others in any combination you want. Well, everyone had a couple 18s and I think only one person included a 1 in any of their stats. I wasn't complaining about that one, but it was a pretty poor interpretation of probability, anyway.

In the same game, one of the guys was playing a wizard of some elf sub-race (which had a racial +2 Int, of course). That wasn't a big deal. Then, during the game, he casts fireball (remember, first level characters). I said - "Hey, you can't cast fireball, that's a 3rd level spell." He responded "It's my bonus spell for high intelligence." He thought that you could cast off the bonus spell list before you got that level spells. I wonder what 5th level spell this 1st level wizard had prepared. Heck, with the right combination, a cleric could raise dead at first level.

Anyway, share your stories, and I'll try to think of others.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Worst Observed Rules Interpretations (by DM or Players)

I seem to recall there being a "debate" on these very boards about whether a Sorcerer is a spontaneous caster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFortyTwo View Post
    In the same game, one of the guys was playing a wizard of some elf sub-race (which had a racial +2 Int, of course). That wasn't a big deal. Then, during the game, he casts fireball (remember, first level characters). I said - "Hey, you can't cast fireball, that's a 3rd level spell." He responded "It's my bonus spell for high intelligence." He thought that you could cast off the bonus spell list before you got that level spells. I wonder what 5th level spell this 1st level wizard had prepared. Heck, with the right combination, a cleric could raise dead at first level.
    We convinced a 2ed DM that our cleric should get his bonus spells for his Wis before he could cast them once.

I think a few days ago there was a thread about an incantrix applying metamagic to blasty spells with spellcraft checks.
    BEEP.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

On these very boards: rogues can apply SA damage to only one attack per round.

Anyway, dice pools (in the OP) could've been just a houserule.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

A certain player at my table conjured up the ludicrous idea that Ennervation was an aging effect, and argued with me for the better part of an hour about how the Druid's Timeless Body ability granted you full immunity to Ennervation, Energy Drain, and any of their close cousins.

In the end it was merely because he imagined "that was what the spell did" to its victims.

This same player also attempted to use the Druid's Wild Shape ability to turn into an Ogre Mage, due to the fact that the Druid's Wild Shape text says it operates "Like Polymorph". I suppose he decided not to read the parts that said "expect as noted here", and the fairly obvious part before that which states "Any Small or Medium -Animal-."

Thankfully, while he made many more misinterpretations of the rules, I cannot recall them, and I do not have to endure his overly-aggressive nature any longer.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

In one group I've seen they were under the impression that the Saint template added its charisma modifier to the save DCs of every one of the entire party's abilities. The Saint of course had 30+ charisma.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

7. - Top - End - #7

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    On these very boards: rogues can apply SA damage to only one attack per round.
    That's my group!

When I DM, that rule is not in effect, as are many of their other rules, such as not being able to take a full move action and make a single attack as a standard action, not being able to attack on diagonal or threaten on a diagonal, not being able to...well, there's a lot.
    "We speak for the dead. We are all they have when the wicked steal their voice. But we do not owe them our lives."

Roy Montgomery, NYPD Sgt., Castle

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

In one group I've seen they were under the impression that the Saint template added its charisma modifier to the save DCs of every one of the entire party's abilities. The Saint of course had 30+ charisma.
    Wait... what? How... I... but... I mean... WHAT?! How you could you even parse that out of anything?!

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was read an argument on the WotC forums where some said that ranged touch attack spells required 2 standard actions, 1 to cast the spell, 1 to attack with it

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFortyTwo View Post
    For instance, one game I played (3.0), the DM had a dice rolling system that was "based off" the 4d6 drop one. Instead, you roll all 24 dice, dropping the lowest 6. Then you can combine the others in any combination you want. Well, everyone had a couple 18s and I think only one person included a 1 in any of their stats. I wasn't complaining about that one, but it was a pretty poor interpretation of probability, anyway.
    Actually, that sounds like quite a cool stat generation method to me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Wait... what? How... I... but... I mean... WHAT?! How you could you even parse that out of anything?!
    It does have a DC increasing ability and an aura. I guess they just... combined them? And made it work off charisma? They also thought the same ability also granted his charisma bonus to his allies' saving throws, like some kind of mass Divine Grace. They also didn't really apply the LA for the template.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    I seem to recall there being a "debate" on these very boards about whether a Sorcerer is a spontaneous caster.
    That's the whole thing that makes them different from wizards.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

It does have a DC increasing ability and an aura. I guess they just... combined them? And made it work off charisma? They also thought the same ability also granted his charisma bonus to his allies' saving throws, like some kind of mass Divine Grace. They also didn't really apply the LA for the template.

Thank god I no longer play with groups that fail to read basic stuff like that. That's all I have to say about that.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

14. - Top - End - #14

This one. This one trumps every other mis-interpretation I have ever seen.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I saw that, that was hilarious.

Well, I suppose a re-interpretation of the 3.5 charging rules (for monsters, not us) was the most game-destroying (as in, we stopped playing and argued).
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I can't remember if this was MERP or Rolemaster, but one of my GMs told me about an early experience he had in his brother's first attempt at a game. There were tables that showed what bonuses you had at various levels. Pretty much exactly like the class charts in 3.5 The group assumed that at those levels you gained the bonus listed, not realizing that those scores were cumulative. In D&D terms, a 5th level fighter would have had 1+2+3+4+5 = 15 BAB.

The worst that I participated in involved a couple players (myself excluded) cowing a newbie GM into doing what we wanted. The worst bit of it was that we convinced him that hacking into military computers and launching enough nukes to blow up all of earth aside from New Zealand required a single computer skill check.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I remember an old arena battle where one player, with a melee character he had stacked a bunch of size increases plus Monkey Grip on, managed to convince the DM that he could ignore Displacement/Invisibility effects because his Colossal greataxe had an edge 5ft wide, making it impossible to miss the target in the square.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

We didn't realize the limitation based on duration for Divine Metamagic, so for a while we had a lot of extra persistent buffs on our team.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtwasAwamps View Post
    not being able to take a full move action and make a single attack as a standard action
    You can't do that unless you're restricted to single standard or move action for that round (ie. surprise rounds etc.).

[Edit]: Even then, it has to be charge (movement in straight line, +2 attack, -2 AC).
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-05-05 at 12:22 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

We didn't quite understand magic weapons or armor and thought for example that a +3 weapon would have +3 to hit, +3 to damage and some of the other effects that are worth up to +3.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    We didn't quite understand magic weapons or armor and thought for example that a +3 weapon would have +3 to hit, +3 to damage and some of the other effects that are worth up to +3.
    I had this problem, too. Or, something similar. Until I started looking over the SRD, I thought a +1 Flaming Longsword wold have +2 to hit, +2 damage and +1d6 fire damage, and was a +2 weapon.
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

I've seen an argument that Heighten Spell doesn't increase the spell slot used because it doesn't have a number with a plus in front of it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    I remember an old arena battle where one player, with a melee character he had stacked a bunch of size increases plus Monkey Grip on, managed to convince the DM that he could ignore Displacement/Invisibility effects because his Colossal greataxe had an edge 5ft wide, making it impossible to miss the target in the square.
    That kind of makes sense, actually. Not from a rules perspective, but a kind of sense anyway... More sense than a titan bloodline pixie wielding a gargantuan weapon but still having a 0 foot reach, at least.

24. - Top - End - #24

DwarfFighterGuy

I remember someone on these or WotC boards (can't remember which one), claiming monks can make AoOs into squares they don't threaten.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

I had a DM who thought that you couldn't charge except in a straight line towards the target... so if that straight line towards the target didn't lead to the middle of a square, you couldn't charge. In other words, you could only charge in the same way as a queen in chess - when your opponent was in a straight or diagonal line of squares.

The more mundane example was a DM who thought that ray of enfeeblement stacked with itself, meaning that it would immobalise any character after two or three hits...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

on warhammer fantasy. a character drink the light of law, so he actually can destroy caos minions on sight and heal others :S bleh that was the DM interpretation of the thing :S

____

on merp rolemaster. on the char build my dm forgot to tell me "put 1 point in no armor" so when i take out the light vest i was on -25 defense ¬¬

____

7th sea. a runemaster casting lighting bolts with 8D8 every round with the skill on 2lev XDDDD due a missinterpretation of the book from our dm. XDDD was hilarius when he nerf the the character. on the first encounter after that we lose our ship, and everything XDDDD

27. - Top - End - #27

i once played with a person who thought attacks of opportunity provoked attacks of opportunity. and he let it infinite loop.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Did this make the game better or worse?

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Nohwl View Post
    i once played with a person who thought attacks of opportunity provoked attacks of opportunity. and he let it infinite loop.
    Robilar's Gambit much?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post

The more mundane example was a DM who thought that ray of enfeeblement stacked with itself, meaning that it would immobalise any character after two or three hits...
    That's actually how it works in Temple of Elemental Evil videogame... and it's not the biggest bug in there.
    As far as "creative" rules interpretations go, I don't have any really colorful examples, but I remember that when I made my first character, a wizard, I thought Magic Penetration adds 2 to all my spells' DCs. After another encounter in which a group of enemies fell victim to an irresistible Sleep spell, my DM began to suspect something's wrong. Nevermind that I also forgot it has a 1 round casting time. >_>
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.