New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default YAMCLP: Yet Another Minecraft Let's Play

Yup, I'm trying this again. I finally resolved my computer issues, and finally figured out rudimentary video editing, so I'm going to give this a whirl.

My goal is to release a video a day, 4 or 5 a week, about an hour or three of Minecraft.

So, here we go:

This is getting out of hand, so I'm going to list the Youtube playlist:
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...9B9E65DD2DE00F

New videos will show up at the bottom, and I'll post the link to them at the end of the thread.
    Last edited by Iskandar; 2011-01-09 at 02:31 PM.
    My youtube channel, featuring LPs of Minecraft and various other indie games: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa98B36NhE0lWNEn3lGc86Q

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: YAMCLP: Yet Another Minecraft Let's Play

Whoooo! Third time's a charm, right?
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thought we established at the end of your last Let's Play that Minecraft hates you and is trying to destroy your computer?

Speaking personally, I don't like the Cleancraft textures...I think they're TOO clean and regular!

Will comment more when I've had a chance to watch all 3 videos.

4. - Top - End - #4

Interestingly enough, Minecraft has already attempted to kill this LP. Around episode 4 or 5 there will be a hiccup caused by Minecraft blackscreening, erasing about an hour's worth of progress, oh, and dumping me in lava and destroying my stuff just for good measure.

As for Cleancraft, I like it fora couple of reasons. It looks good, for one. For another, it doesn't break down and look ugly at low resolutions like the basic texture does (or, at least, not quite as much), and it is slightly brighter, which helps because youtube tends to kill the gamma.
    My youtube channel, featuring LPs of Minecraft and various other indie games: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa98B36NhE0lWNEn3lGc86Q

5. - Top - End - #5

BlackDragon

OK, watched all 3 now. Dunno why you didn't set up shop in the first cave you found (the one with the coal), but I tend to want to get established as soon as possible before nightfall! Oh, and exploring caves will probably get you more iron etc. than doing a simple mine will...I usually dig a 45-degree tunnel downward from my starting home base location in the hope I'll run into a cave I can have a search through.

Will be interesting to see how you make this water elevator thing, because the last Let's Play you just went from nothing to having the elevator in place without any idea how you went between the two!

[EDIT] Ah, blackscreen issues? I get them too. I've got into the habit of hitting ESC and letting the game save its state every few minutes, particularly when I'm mining stuff out...it's a real pain when the game crashes and leaves you stuck in the middle of solid rock when you reload.
    Last edited by factotum; 2010-12-29 at 05:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

BTW, anyone want to suggest some music for me? I've been relying on the 8 bit collective (http://8bc.org) for my music, and I could always use some more ideas....

Episode four coming soon....

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Nah, i kinda dig the 8 bit music. Fitting for the visuals.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

8. - Top - End - #8

All well and good, but I'm trying not to repeat my music too much, and the 8 bit stuff is kind of unsorted, so it is kind of hit or miss (and takes a while) to find the good stuff. Hence the request for suggestions, to help speed the process.

Anyway:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ5HEH0GW6c

Episode four.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Ah, a cave! The empty shaft in the middle of nowhere was a bit odd--I don't think I've ever encountered such a thing myself.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

That was certainly a odd sight.

You got some materials out of it, so hey. Good. It served a purpose.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

11. - Top - End - #11

Episode Five is now up. Woo, combat. Man I suck at fighting skeletons.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlackDragon

You're just not very well equipped for fighting skeletons, is all. I don't usually like to face them until I have a bow and arrows, a decent sword (at least iron, preferably diamond!) and a full set of armour. Even then, if I can manoeuvre myself into a position where the skeleton is trying to come at me round a corner, so I can hit it as soon as it appears without much risk of it shooting back, I'll do it!

13. - Top - End - #13

I approve.
    You have a great feel for the game, I (sorta) like the texture pack, and you acknowledge you mistakes.

Totally worth my time, you should have WAY more views than you do.
    -- The Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Feel free to spread the word wherever you like. I've got this cross posted to the official minecraft forums, of course.

Not quite at the level of the greats out there, seananners and coesquest, both of which I follow, but I am trying.

Episode 6 coming. I have footage for one or two more, and then I will be caught up, and I can rebuild my water elevator, again.

15. - Top - End - #15

Episode Six!

I made it to the bottom. Unfortunately....

16. - Top - End - #16

Episode Seven

An underground lake of burning death. Exactly what i wanted!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...9B9E65DD2DE00F
    that playlist will hold all the videos for this LP. If you don't want to subscribe to my channel, just keep that bookmarked and check back every so often.
    Last edited by Iskandar; 2010-12-31 at 02:25 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

You said you can't find out exactly how high you are--try holding down F3 if you want to find that out, it gives your exact coordinates!

I actually quite like it when I run into problems like this--it's interesting figuring out the best way to solve them. For example, I decided once to dig an 11x11 shaft all the way down to bedrock, lit by four lava falls from a tower in the middle. When I hit a cave halfway down it was an interesting logistical exercise working out how I could continue, considering the cave pretty much crossed the entire space of the shaft! Plus there were the occasions where I made a mistake managing the lava falls in the middle and ended up with lava across the floor of the shaft...

18. - Top - End - #18

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there a special reason you didn't use the torch trick again for all that other gravel in Ep7?

(My personal preference for lava is to dig around it upwards to get on top of that pool. From there you at least dont have to worry about it leaking out from a position higher than you. Anything else can be done from there then.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

I don't always remember to do so, unfortunately. Also, unfortunately, I get to do a lot of that work over again.

Episode nine and ten today, and I'll finally get caught up. Including the black screen of doom.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Again, hm? :|

(Incidentally, you really should put down torches wherever you go at night. That way not only do you have a visible route back home, but it also reduces the places mobs can spawn at. It's not like you don't have any coals/sticks to spare as well.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Actually, this was the first black screen of doom. I just had more material than I thought, so there were more episodes before I hit it than I previously thought.

Episode ten uploading, and I'll be caught up, and can actually play minecraft for the first time in a few days. Trying not to build up too much of a back log of unedited material.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlackDragon

Aha, so that's how it all works! Would be a real swine if you got stuck at the bottom without enough wood to build a boat, though...

24. - Top - End - #24

Technically, I can swim up, I think. But yes, that is why building a tree farm down here is one of my priorities.
    Episode 9
    Episode 10, and I am caught up.
    Last edited by Iskandar; 2010-12-31 at 05:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

If I just want to get rid of lava I usually just replace it with cobble rather than try to douse it-takes so long to mine obsidian!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If I just want to get rid of lava I usually just replace it with cobble rather than try to douse it-takes so long to mine obsidian!
    On the other hand there's a mod that lets you make obsidian tools, which mine obsidian pretty fast. I have no idea why this wasn't included in the original game. (Hardness-wise it's between iron and diamond.) It's not like there's much else to do with obsidian. >_>

Edit: Fake Flashlight Mode is excellent. The game crashing after all that, not so much. Let's hope the Cave of Riches is still there afterwards.
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2011-01-01 at 02:09 AM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    On the other hand there's a mod that lets you make obsidian tools, which mine obsidian pretty fast. I have no idea why this wasn't included in the original game. (Hardness-wise it's between iron and diamond.) It's not like there's much else to do with obsidian. >_>
    It probably wasn't included because it wouldn't help much--you would still need to have got a diamond pick before you could mine obsidian, and once you have one of those, an obsidian pick is less useful! Besides, I actually prefer using stone picks anyway, purely because the number of uses you get from one is roughly the same as a single stack of stuff in your inventory--thus, the space taken up by the picks is replaced with the stone you mine. If you use harder picks then you often find you have to return to base to drop off all the stone before you've used up the picks!

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Edit: Fake Flashlight Mode is excellent. The game crashing after all that, not so much. Let's hope the Cave of Riches is still there afterwards.
    Yes. The crash simply erased an hour's worth of work.

Upcoming episodes shall be hilarious, as you watch me get blown to pieces by an unending rain of creepers.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It probably wasn't included because it wouldn't help much--you would still need to have got a diamond pick before you could mine obsidian, and once you have one of those, an obsidian pick is less useful! Besides, I actually prefer using stone picks anyway, purely because the number of uses you get from one is roughly the same as a single stack of stuff in your inventory--thus, the space taken up by the picks is replaced with the stone you mine. If you use harder picks then you often find you have to return to base to drop off all the stone before you've used up the picks!
    Obsidian is easier to aquire than diamonds though, especially when you have two buckets and a underground lava lake to work with.

I hate using stone picks, because they're so damn slow. And of course you can get away with carrying fewer picks, giving you more space for materials in general. >_>
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30