New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Gestalt Arena Match 9

A towering figure in a dark robe enters the room where you have been milling around sizing up the competition. His face is completely obscured by his hood. He raises both hands to get your attention and speaks in a deep voice.
    Dresil, Kortesh. You have been chosen to fight. Prepare yourselves!
    With that he brings his hands down and the two of you find yourself transported to the arena

OOC:
    You've got time for one swift action and one standard action before you get transported in case you need to adopt a stance or activate an item.

On the map, green is open terrain, yellow is difficult terrain, red/brown is the cliffs. Arena has a 60 foot ceiling.

Opening post should have an initiative roll, anything you said after he called your name and what, if anything you did with the 'surprise round' before being transported. After that, start fighting in initiative order.

Dresil
    Spoiler
    Show
    start at K7

Kortesh
    Spoiler
    Show
    start at AE29
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-09-08 at 02:25 PM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Gestalt Arena Match 9

A wide grin spreads across the elf's face, as he slips a simple golden ring onto his left hand. What a lovely day for battle... catch me if you can!

(Using standard action to put on Ring of Invisibility.)

Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+12)[32]
    I thought of a thought thinking about the thoughts thunk by thinkers. I thought the thought was thunk but I think I thought otherwise.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Kortesh says nothing and his expression does not change, but he looks eager none the less. His form shimmers and contracts. Suddenly, Kortesh is a man no longer. Now a Will-o Wisp, he blinks into obscurity.

(Initiative)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[12]

(Will-o Wisp stats)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Small Abberation (Air)
    Hit Dice: 9d8 (36hp)
    Initiative: +13
    Speed: 70 ft. (Perfect) (12 squares)
    Armor Class: 29 (+1 Size, +9 Dex, +9 Deflection), touch 29, flat-footed 20
    Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+11
    Attack: Shock +25 melee touch (3d8 electricity)
    Full Attack: Shock +25 melee touch (3d8 electricity)
    Space/Reach: 5ft/10 ft
    Special Attacks: -
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, Natural Invisibility, Immunities
    Abilities: Str 5, Dex 29, Con 14

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A will-o’-wisp is immune to most spells or spell-like abilities that allow spell resistance, except magic missile and maze.

Natural Invisibility (Ex): A will-o’-wisp can extinguish its glow, effectively becoming invisible as the spell.

Zack
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

4. - Top - End - #4

Griffon

Double move to R20 and then hides.

Hide
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+44)[46]
    I thought of a thought thinking about the thoughts thunk by thinkers. I thought the thought was thunk but I think I thought otherwise.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

(OOC: Sorry it's taken so long for me to post. Yesterday was...crazy...at best.)

Kortesh floats due east, and with a moment of focus he enters a hightened state.

(Mechanincs)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Move to AE19
    Swift: Activate Hunter's Sense

Zack
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

6. - Top - End - #6

Griffon

Dresil moves to Z19 where both Point Blank shot and his blindsense kick in. He nocks three arrows at once, and quickly fires at AE19.

Spoiler
    Show

Arrow 1 to hit: (1d20+17)[32]
    Arrow 1 potential damage: (1d8+10)[13] Shocking Burst: (1d6)[2]
    Skirmish damage for Arrow 1: (4d6)[18]

Arrow 2 to hit: (1d20+12)[15]
    Arrow 2 potential damage: (1d8+10)[16] Shocking Burst: (1d6)[3]
    Skirmish damage for Arrow 2: (4d6)[21]

Arrow 3 to hit: (1d20+7)[11]
    Arrow 3 potential damage: (1d8+10)[16] Shocking Burst: (1d6)[1]
    Skirmish damage for Arrow 3: (4d6)[15]

Sneak Attack (8d6)[26]

Concealment rolls, lows hit:
    Arrow 1 (1d100)[27]
    Arrow 2 (1d100)[93]
    Arrow 3 (1d100)[3]

Other Stats: HP 117, AC 35, Touch 24, Flat 29, total concealment.
    Since I am invisible, you are denied your Dex bonus to AC, hence the sneak attack. If any arrow strikes through concealment, sneak attack is applied, and you take 2 damage to your strength.

EDIT: Looks like only Arrow 1 hits, if I'm not mistaken. Total damage for Arrow 1 is 60 (+1 point blank shot that I forgot to add) hp, 2 strength damage unless shenanigans ensue. I forget if we are doing massive damage saves here, but it would apply if we do. Turn.
    Last edited by Dresil; 2008-09-10 at 03:42 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

(OOC: That would kill Kortesh in his current form. Well played, sir. I can't help but wonder how this would've gone if I'd chosen a more direct approach than Will-o Wisp shenanigans... Anyhoo, I had fun. Good luck with your next challenge.)

As his body gives out, Kortesh loses his strength. He collapses, having never said a word.

Zack

P.S.
    If I may ask, I have two questions...

A: How did you manage to get (at least) 50ft Point Blank Shot?
    B: Where does blind sense come from?

Thanks anyway. I had fun.
    Fluff | Crunch

8. - Top - End - #8

Griffon

IC: Even without seeing his enemy, he knew the dying thump well. Another battle won.

OOC: Good game, Lyndworm.

A: Point Blank Shot is still 30', I just have a 50' movement rate. I moved within 30' of you before firing.

B: Blindsense is a Scout ability.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Ah yes, I see. Apparently I miscounted earlier. The moment I looked at our positions I knew I was mistaken. Oops. Thanks.

Zack
    Fluff | Crunch

10. - Top - End - #10

Griffon

Just to kill time, would you like a rematch?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

(OOTC:Why, I sure would! )

After hearing his name called, Kortesh focuses his senses. Drawing in a breath, his form starts to spread and twist. In a purple bur, Kortesh becomes something more than a man. All nine of his heads grin, and he snaps his hundreds of teeth in anticipation. The largest head speaks. "Excellent. A worthy challenge."

(Initiative)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[23]

(Mechanics)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift: Hunter's Stance
    Standard: Wildshape (Hydra)

Kortesh expends an additional use of Wildshape so that his armor shifts along with his body.

(Cryohydra stats)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Huge Magical Beast (Cold)
    Hit Dice: 9d10+48 (98hp)
    Initiative: +6
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), Swim 40ft.
    Armor Class: 25 (Size -2, +1 Dex, +10 Natural, +6 Armor), touch 9, flat-footed 24
    Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+23
    Attack: 8 bites +27 (1d10 +12), 1 bite +27 (2d8+12)
    Full Attack: 8 bites +14 (1d10+6), 1 bite (2d8+6)
    Space/Reach: 15ft/15 ft
    Special Attacks: Breath of Frost
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, Lowlight Vision, Scent, Fast Healing 19, Immunities
    Abilities: Str 25, Dex 12, Con 24

Hydras can attack with all their heads at no penalty, even if they move or charge during the round.

Killing a Hydra:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A hydra can be killed either by severing all of its heads or by slaying its body. To sever a head, an opponent must make a successful sunder attempt with a slashing weapon. (The player should declare where the attack is aimed before making the attack roll.) Making a sunder attempt provokes an attack of opportunity unless the foe has the Improved Sunder feat. An opponent can strike at a hydra’s heads from any position in which he could strike at the hydra itself, because the hydra’s head writhe and whip about in combat. An opponent can ready an action to attempt to sunder a hydra’s head when the creature bites at him. Each of a hydra’s heads has hit points equal to the creature’s full normal hit point total, divided by its original number of heads. Losing a head deals damage to the body equal to half the head’s full normal hit points. A natural reflex seals the neck shut to prevent further blood loss. A hydra can no longer attack with a severed head but takes no other penalties.

Each time a head is severed, two new heads spring from the stump in 1d4 rounds. A hydra can never have more than twice its original number of heads at any one time, and any extra heads it gains beyond its original number wither and die within a day. To prevent a severed head from growing back into two heads, at least 5 points of fire or acid damage must be dealt to the stump (a touch attack to hit) before the new heads appear. A flaming weapon (or similar effect) deals its energy damage to the stump in the same blow in which a head is severed. Fire or acid damage from an area effect may burn multiple stumps in addition to dealing damage to the hydra’s body. A hydra does not die from losing its heads until all its heads have been cut off and the stumps seared by fire or acid.

A hydra’s body can be slain just like any other creature’s, but hydras possess fast healing and are difficult to defeat in this fashion. Any attack that is not an attempt to sunder a head affects the body.

A cryhydra is immune to cold, but take +50% damage from fire.

Breath of Frost:
    The cryohydra can breathe jets of frost 10 feet high, 10 feet wide, and 20 feet long. All heads breathe once every 1d4 rounds. Each jet deals 3d6 points of cold damage per head. A successful Reflex save halves the damage. The save DC is 25.

Skills:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hydras have a +2 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks, thanks to their multiple heads.

A hydra has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
    Fluff | Crunch

12. - Top - End - #12

Griffon

OOC: Cool.

IC: After slipping on his ring, the huge roar of the beast makes Dresil rethink his strategies for battle a bit. A man who can turn into such a beast? This was going to be trickier than he thought.

Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+12)[26]

13. - Top - End - #13

Griffon

Looking at the huge beast, Dresil thinks to himself how such a beast could be bested. Best to study it for now.

Free Action: Draw Bow:

Double Move: Move Silently to U7 and hide. (Hide in Plain Sight, Invisibility, etc.)

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hide: (1d20+44)[59]
    MS: (1d20+24)[38]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

The great beast lumbers forward as Kortesh speaks. "Come out, come out, wherever you are. I've another game to play."

(Mechanics)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Full: Double move to U27-W29

Zack
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2008-09-11 at 03:44 PM.
    Fluff | Crunch

15. - Top - End - #15

Griffon

Dresil runs at the great beast, drawing three arrows from his quiver.

Funny, so do I. My game is called dodge the arrows.

Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show

Move to U17 and Manyshot.
    Arrow 1:
    To hit:
    (1d20+16)[28]
    Damage:
    (1d8+10)[14]
    Shocking Burst:
    (1d6)[1]
    Skirmish:
    (4d6)[14]

Arrow 2:
    Arrow 1:
    To hit:
    (1d20+11)[18]
    Damage:
    (1d8+10)[16]
    Shocking Burst:
    (1d6)[1]
    Skirmish:
    (4d6)[11]

Arrow 3:
    Arrow 1:
    To hit:
    (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage:
    (1d8+10)[12]
    Shocking Burst:
    (1d6)[2]
    Skirmish:
    (4d6)[19]

Denied your Dex bonus (if any), so Sneak Attack:
    (8d6)[34]

I see one hit, so 63 damage and 2 strength damage.
    Last edited by Dresil; 2008-09-11 at 04:39 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Though Kortesh is unharmed by two arrows, the first strikes true. The beast howls in pain, but recovers quickly. Though weakened, he moves to a more beneficial position. "Come out from behind those rocks, little one. Or are you afraid of a little frostbite?"

(Mechanics)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move & Standard: Double Move to I27-K29
    Swift: Activate Roots of the Mountain

Kortesh takes only 28 points of damage, as he is immune to Sneak Attack and has DR1/-. He does, however, take the Skirmish, Shock, and Strength damage.

(OOC: This time you got Skirmish damage from 50ft. I can't help but be impressed.)

Zack
    Fluff | Crunch

17. - Top - End - #17

Griffon

Dresil moves to U27 and fires three more arrows.

Skirmish kicks in whenevr you move 10' or more.

Attacks
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+16)[26]
    (1d8+10)[17]
    (1d6)[3]
    (4d6)[14]

(1d20+11)[17]
    (1d8+10)[11]
    (1d6)[6]
    (4d6)[19]

(1d20+6)[14]
    (1d8+10)[12]
    (1d6)[1]
    (4d6)[9]

Sneak Attack (8d6)[31] (Just for 2 more Str)
    Rolls are To Hit, Arrow Dmg, Shock Dmg, Skirmish

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Kortesh becomes enraged at this latest slight, roaring and moving directy toward his unseen assailant. Upon his arrival, the beast anchors himself to the earth.

(Mechanics)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Free: Rage
    Move & Standard: Double move to R27-T29
    Swift: Activate Roots of the Mountain

Kortesh takes 31 damage, and 2 Stength damage.

(OOC: You can't get Skirmish or Sneak Attack damage from farther than 30ft. Unless you have a feat that I haven't heard of, which is entirely possible. )

Zack
    Fluff | Crunch

19. - Top - End - #19

Griffon

Did not know. Whoops.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Whoops, indeed. I made some mistakes as well. I incorrectly calculated HP twice, forgot my immunity to Sneak Attack (and probably Skirmish and the Strength damage, but not necessarily), and more.

What do you want to do? I've no harsh feelings, and am looking forward to continuing the competition. It's your call.

Zack
    Fluff | Crunch

21. - Top - End - #21

Griffon

Everyone forgets abilities. Its as impottant as having them. Part of the game. I'll continue.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Then I believe it's your turn.

Zack
    Fluff | Crunch