New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default What ending would you LIKE to see?

I ask this primarily for two reasons: one, I don't know anymore what I would want for an ideal ending, and two, I know from reading threads that I have a different outlook than many of the posters.

I don't empathize (or sympathize) with Parson. I'm only marginally a gamer and I have little in common (that I care to discuss) with any of the other characters. At one point I was firmly hoping that Wanda's secret agenda was to restore Jillian's kingdom, in a complicated gambit seemingly inappropriate for an "Evil" Croakamancer. Her behavior hasn't particularly supported this of late, even if the idea is still possible. So, I'm left reading, mostly enjoying the story, with my only real hope that most of the known characters don't die. (Webinar seems like a good unsympathetic patsy for smooshing, poor thing.)

So, fellow readers, what would your ideal endings be? Or if you prefer, what endings would you despise? How would you twist the story to suit you, if you could?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: What ending would you LIKE to see?

I want to see Parson win this engagement. Stanley survives, because he is a good comedic foil to Parson, and his quest for the arkentools would give structure to the second part. In the second part, Parson's side switches from defense to going on the attack and, with Parson's leadership, starts to take cities again.

Any direct conflict with Charlie waits until part 3.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still pro-Wanda so I want her to win in the end, and by win I mean Queen of the World--dark and beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the Erf. All shall love her and despair!

Well maybe not quite that, but something like it--I can see her snagging the Arkenpliers and attuning to them, using it to raise an Army of Uncroakedness that, with the now-ruthless Parson at the helm, goes on to conquest over the alliance, moving toward a final showdown between her and Jillian (as well as between Parson and Charlie). I'm not sure how this could happen with Stanley still in the picture though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It would be nice if Wanda and Jillian survived, i always liked their relationship and they should meet again. Ansom should survive too, let him be defeated by Parson in a humilliating defeat, make him lose his pride, crown, army, etc. and have him wandering the countryside so that he can learn some humility, it would be some nice character development.
    Last edited by Calmness; 2008-09-05 at 07:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scylfing View Post
    I'm still pro-Wanda so I want her to win in the end, and by win I mean Queen of the World--dark and beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the Erf. All shall love her and despair!
    Sorry, where there's a Wanda, there's only room for one Candyfloss.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd like Parson to defeat the alliance, and then eventually take over the world, becoming a much more peaceful and empathetic ruler than people like Stanley or Ansom.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would like to see Stanley and Ansom stuck on the same stamp-sized tropical island with a single palm tree in the middle, waging war over the coconuts and armed only with wet towels.
    My Avatar is Vinnie Doombats from the Erfworld comic written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Hack View Post
    I would like to see Stanley and Ansom stuck on the same stamp-sized tropical island with a single palm tree in the middle, waging war over the coconuts and armed only with wet towels.

aybe as a series ending, but not for Chapter 1.

For Chapter 1, Ansom's forces are driven back. GK is celebration. Then the Tardy Elves show up and ask where Ansom's camp is. This leeds to a side-panle every chapter thereafter showing them trecking through dangerous locals such as jungles, swamps, deserts, and frozen mountains, talking about not beign far behind Ansom now, and how nice it was that the large guy was willing to give them directions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zolem View Post
    For Chapter 1, Ansom's forces are driven back. GK is celebration. Then the Tardy Elves show up and ask where Ansom's camp is. This leeds to a side-panle every chapter thereafter showing them trecking through dangerous locals such as jungles, swamps, deserts, and frozen mountains, talking about not beign far behind Ansom now, and how nice it was that the large guy was willing to give them directions.
    I'm giggling uncontrollably at this. I want to see the main characters survive, but get some character development. I would really like it if Stanley, against all odds, got through without the veil breaking. I'd also like for with the Jetstone army devastated, Ansom return home in shock with a handful of troops and a deflated ego, because he's a good antagonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

I could see Wanda getting the Arkenpliers, but what kind of special unit would be raised? Liches? Dracoliches? Death Knights? What?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

not liches. Casters lose their magic spells if they get uncroaked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    not liches. Casters lose their magic spells if they get uncroaked.
    Maybe the pliers give the ability to let uncroaked retain all power from life? (personality, will, magic)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm rooting for Ansom and Vinny since they are the good guys after all (I really hope nobody deny that Stanley and Wanda are evil at this point) and since I like their relationship. They are the only two I could really call friends until now in this comic. Its good to have two characters care for each other because of something else then loyalty or love. I dont want Parson or Sizemore to die though, they are great characters, so I really hopre Ansom spare them and that Parson become the new ruler of GW...because no matter what happens, I really, REALLY want Stanley to die or at least get imprisonned. I hate him so much. I dont really have anything against Wanda but shes nasty, shes responsible for so many death in the Alliance and shes really loyal to Stanley so I dont see how she could be spared. I guess she could escape though.
    Last edited by Querzis; 2008-09-07 at 03:37 PM.
    In memory of lord Shojo

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Querzis View Post
    I'm rooting for Ansom and Vinny since they are the good guys after all (I really hope nobody deny that Stanley and Wanda are evil at this point) and since I like their relationship. They are the only two I could really call friends until now in this comic. Its good to have two characters care for each other because of something else then loyalty or love. I dont want Parson or Sizemore to die though, they are great characters, so I really hopre Ansom spare them and that Parson become the new ruler of GW...because no matter what happens, I really, REALLY want Stanley to die or at least get imprisonned. I hate him so much. I dont really have anything against Wanda but shes nasty, shes responsible for so many death in the Alliance and shes really loyal to Stanley so I dont see how she could be spared. I guess she could escape though.
    Wanda's loyalty to Stanley is one of necessity. She resents him, and does what she can to get around him whenever possible.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: What ending would you LIKE to see?

i've been interested in Parson's part of the Story, and hearing more about how Erf world game mechanics work. i wouldn't mind seeing parson becomming aligned with Charlie. Maybe give parson a way to de-equip an item an loose his ruthlesness for a while long enough to be likable again, and team up w/ Charlie.

Stanley, arrogant, as well as an interesting comic relief, needs a bit more to him i think. maybe fully devote a strip or 2 to how Stanly used the Gobwins to kill off the old king, after he had been named successor. i think that would really flesh him out as opposed to just being a source of comedic relief.

Wanda makes a good character secondary to Parson, Bogroll, and Sizemore. but given her lack of interest in anything other than uncroaking units and torture. i don't see her ousting our main character Parson to rule over everything.

Sizemore is a Great Character. I wouldn't mind hearing more about him as well. maybe a backstory. Like what bonuses does his shovel give? is that a focus item for his dig dirt spell?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

it would be funny too if Ansom's weapons acted like those toy knives where the plastic blade would retract down into the hilt when they went to Stab parson.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jmsl View Post
    So, fellow readers, what would your ideal endings be? Or if you prefer, what endings would you despise? How would you twist the story to suit you, if you could?

Parson wins the battle, Wanda eliminates Stanley, Parson and Wanda fall in love, found a new reign (she is the Overlord, he is her Warlord) and live happily forever.

Hey, you asked for an IDEAL ending, not a realistic one! :D

Parson beeing killed, I would despise.
    Ansom winning, I would despise.

I do empatize with Parson. My only problem with him is how his lust for strategy games makes him act like being in a game.

He is no longer in a game. The people involved are "minds", that is "persons" in my point of view. No matter if they are "virtual persons" in a "Matrix", or in the Titan's minds, or within a complex hallucinations.

According to my particula morality, any mind deserves respect, no matter in which physical system it is embedded. They deserve freedom, live, "human rights" ("human" should be substituted by "people's").

Parson is now really tryting to win this battle instead of trying to save as many lifes as possible. That it what I would do, and this is my only problem to empatize completely with Parson.

Of course I would have tried to kill Stanley. If I could try (Natural Thinkamancy).
    Last edited by MoredanKantose; 2008-09-10 at 04:27 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

cool Re: What ending would you LIKE to see?

Gobwin Knob gets over run. Jetstone forces croak most all generic units.
    Bogroll gets to save Parson, Parson almost leaves him for dead when sizemore reminds him that twolls regen.

Parson, Sizemore, Wanda, Maggie?, Bogroll, and maybe a few other units escape the Capture of Gobwin Knob. using Sizemore's dig through rock ability to form an escape tunnel.

Stanley Captures FAQ, and slowly but surely builds up a formidable force.
    Stanley again searches for more arkentools

Parson gets out and explores Erfworld, narrated by morgan freeman :P
    Parson and company build up their own army, mostly uncroaked things and Crap golems.
    Parson almost instinctively or maybe through the divine will of a higher power, Finds a Cutsie arkentool, which due to his special status is almost instantly attuned.

ending i would like to see Parson (loose a little weight in erf world) return to earth, and take that gamer chick who was concerned for his well being in the earlier comics, take her as his girlfriend, having gained a few levels in erf world, as well as some confidence and maybe some lost weight to help boost his outlook.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

What ending do I want, gosh I don't really hate any of the characters except Charlie, and I kind of dislike, Stanley and Caesar, but thats about it. I hope the people I like Wanda, Parson, Webinar, Jillian, Sizemore, Vinny and Ansom all find a happy ending, but I don't think thats going to happen. I think we are in for some tragedy here.
    I hope the Karma hammer falls on Charlie, repeatedly, but I think he will get away at least for some time now.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

I want to see Parson put a zero in the denominator of one of Erfworld's mechanics.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

wink Re: What ending would you LIKE to see?

1. At the climactic moment, ruthless Parson fatally kicks Ansom down the stairs of the Tower of Efdup. The Coalition collapses.

2. Parson marries Wanda. Jack marries Jill. Bogroll civil-unionizes Sizemore.

3. They all live happily ever after.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hmmmm...
    IDEAL ENDINGS...

ALLthe following questions would have to be answered:

How did FAQ fall, and how did JACK & WANDA come to be in Stalney's employ?
    Why did Saline IV get a Gobwin uprising?
    Why is Wanda so loyal to Stanley?

Who lives, who dies? Any outcome will be ideal for me in rerospect, and I am convinced that the authors will make either light or tragedy of the misconceptions or perceptions thus far on the characters, and that's ok.

If Parons dies, that's cool - I am certain it will not be meaningless.
    Anyone and Everyone can die - this story is about the Battle for Gobwin Knob - not about the protagonist, not about Wanda, not about Stanley, and certainly not about the McGuffins. It is to set Erfworld as a stage for future stories, so there have to be new loose ends as springboards for later. Charlie's origins could be a basis, as could be the courtly workings of the RCC, or stories of the various Elf factions, or even new countries (or countwies?)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

The ideal ending for me involves Wanda and Jillian, and a knock on my door.

Other than that, Richbin has it right.
    Dibs on his dice.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

This particular chapter (battle for gobwin knob) is going to end with the coalition's downfall. Whether Ansome, Jillian, Vinny, Sizemore, Jack, or Maggie survive is all up in the air, but Stanley, Wanda, and Parson are immortal. Parson has total invincibility, while Wanda and Stanley might die in later chapters, but not now.

Faq is going to have a resolution, whether it becomes a city of GK, becomes Jillian's new capitol, is left abandoned is to be seen. Charlie is going to stay a major player, Jetstone is going to stick around (though its heir might, and probably will, die).

Ansome might live, but most likely he's going down. He's mostly 1-sided and he's the primary antagonist. What's more, if Wanda kills him, that's going to seriously mess up Jillian, who is a much more in depth character and will almost assuredly live.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to see Parson beat back Ansom with something other than a pyrrhic victory, giving some lasting peace to the end of the chapter, but also costing Parson something much more personal, if not tragic. The kind of thing that leaves emotional scars that could possibly be interpreted as "lessons" if it didn't hurt so much would be ideal.

Someone like Sizemore dying probably wouldn't be sufficient. Parson can move on from that... But Sizemore truly hating Parson? Betrayal? Treachery? Being forced to execute a wayward unit? Yesss....
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Butters_I View Post
    This particular chapter (battle for gobwin knob) is going to end with the coalition's downfall. Whether Ansome, Jillian, Vinny, Sizemore, Jack, or Maggie survive is all up in the air, but Stanley, Wanda, and Parson are immortal. Parson has total invincibility, while Wanda and Stanley might die in later chapters, but not now.

Faq is going to have a resolution, whether it becomes a city of GK, becomes Jillian's new capitol, is left abandoned is to be seen. Charlie is going to stay a major player, Jetstone is going to stick around (though its heir might, and probably will, die).

Ansome might live, but most likely he's going down. He's mostly 1-sided and he's the primary antagonist. What's more, if Wanda kills him, that's going to seriously mess up Jillian, who is a much more in depth character and will almost assuredly live.
    I fail to see and accept Parson's immortality.
    If he lives, because of his temporary and many item-related boosts, he will never be 'as awesome' as in the Battle for GK. This rather gimps a character for the future.
    Imagine playing a DnD character, who, at low level (1 to 4, let's say), is pivotal or instrumental in establishing a victory and defeating an enemy against insurmountable odds, and odds are he will never (ok, not until Epic levels) ever attain that level of celestial alignment perfection.

Yeah - gimped - retire or NPC material - ghe's established his fame, will never be as cool as that day. People will expect him to be all kinds of unbeatable, and the rest of his career he is faced with never as great odds, but having to struggle against them until he fails?

After the Battle for GK, Parson will:
    a) become an NPC - background info, involved indirectly with the next story, or as flavor
    b) return to his regular life, appreciative of many more aspects.
    c) Die while establishing victory, either by demonstrating to Ansom that he is more Noble, as a non-Noble than he, maybe by setting up Ansom to act in a treachoprous, murderous rage, killing him?

Again, Parson's outcome is not crucial to the continuation of this strip into additional chapters, and therefore, he is not immortal. Nor is Wanda nor is Stanley - what I would like to see resolution on is her background info. If anything, Stanley's demise is more probable to be put off in order to preserve the mystery of 'Chosen by the Titans' and holy nature of his quest. That has wonderful future story-telling possibilities.
    Killing him relegates that entire arc to the dustbin as the irrelevant rantings of a lunatic, and to a great extent also removes the 'nobility vs arkentools' mandate debate, which might well have more gas left in it.

Of all three, Wanda is the second most expendable - her dynamic with Jillian was a large portion of her character build-up and exposed her as a central story-telling element for this tale. She might serve Tool from self-service, might have tried to preserve her relationship with Jillian from a sense of twisted longing or love or hate, but that aspect is pretty much finished - Jillian has moved on. This aspect can not, will not end abruptly and not be resolved. it will be resolved through some tragic event. A death-bed revelation, a posthumous confession, or a third-party reveal (from Banhammer, speaking from a buried FAQ?)...

Sorry for the ramble...I just found the ring of Parson's 'invincability' a little much, and the certainty of survival for Wanda and Tool a little too... Hollywoodish for my tastes.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Those of you who want Ansom and Vinnie to survive this, I woudn't bet money on it myself.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0074.html

Panel 3. Sounds a lot like foreshadowing to me.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Oh my sweet pototato munchkins!
    I somehow missed that one.
    thank you very much - that foreshadowing was overlooked by me completely.
    I suspect Ansom might live, but that line spells Doom(bats) for Vinnie

<INSERT GEM>

Thanks

29. - Top - End - #29
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

One I didn't expect.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

For the end of this book?

1 - I want to see some real payoff on how great of a warlord Parson is. The only way for that to happen is for him to win this battle somehow.

2 - I think Stanley needs to come back in time to drive off the Archons.

3 - Ansom loses and must retreat.

4 - There's a victory but, future problems in the works...

--- FUTURE PROBLEMS ---

Who gets the Arkenpliers? What do they do? Who fights over them?

Expansion... Stanely is pissed he didn't get to take FAQ and now Stanely and Parson have to "race" Transylvito to capture 3 new cities.

How do Parson and Stanely work together again when Parson is better as an overlord and Stanely as a battle group leader?

Charlie...

When do we get resolution on what/where/how this world came about? Is it just another world in a multiverse? Is this some stupid "Saint Elsewhere" ending where the game world is in a snow cube in some hospital fever dream?

The whole story should work out in maybe 3 parts...

Part 1 is almost done.

Part 2 would be about Stanely's expansion.

Part 3 would put all the pieces together, bring the morality and impact of everything into focus, and build towards some unexpected final battle, maybe where Parson now has to turn on Stanely somehow and defeat him to save the world. And we figure out what the world is and whether or not Parson ever gets to go home.