New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Eberron with Giant Robots: Sharn

At about one in the afternoon, the sky above Breland was filled with explosions.

Trailing fire, and not all of it from the elemental ring that encircled it, an airship of unusual manufacture sank out of the clouds and landed, with an earthshaking crash, at the eastern edge of the forest northwest of Baran's Keep.

Though some locals who observed the phenomenon reported seeing "great silver flying creatures, like angels" around the crash site, this would not be deemed relevant by the authorities until much later, when it was too late.

Now a burning, smoking ruin, the ship settles into the newly carved crater in the earth... just waiting for someone to invesitage and search for survivors... or plunder...
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Eberron with Giant Robots: Sharn

Casfal, his ivory mask gleaming in the afternoon light, approaches the crash site on a rented horse. Eventually the horse grows too skittish of the smoke and flames, and Casfal dismounts to continue his approach on foot, tying his mount to a handy tree.
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2007-04-03 at 10:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ike d'Cannith

"By the Five Nations!"

A young red-haired man in his early 20s stands up, having seen the crash through the window of his one-room home. He clearly bears the weakest version of the Mark of Making on his left hand. "How could an airship just crash like that? Someone must have tampered with it!" He puts down his book, A Brief History of Battle Tactics During the War of the Mark, Third Edition, volume five of twenty-three.

"Whatever the case," he states, "there might be survivors. I have to go see!"

He walks toward the door of his home, and picks up his supplies. A long wooden staff, one well-kept backpack full of useful items, and a bag containing items that aren't so easy to carry are all on the list, as is a strange, translucent, yellow orb that appears to be glowing with some sort of energy.

Ike borrows a horse from one of the residents of the village he lives in, and rides to the crash site.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wrench

Wrench was with McCormick when they received word that a Lyrandar Airship had crashed. As the two closest representatives of the House, they were asked to investigate the crash, help any survivors, and if possible, recover the ship and cargo before it was robbed.

Upon reaching the crash site, Wrench sees that others are already at the scene. The warforged raises his voice and calls out "Halt! That is a Lyrandar Airship. Who are you and what are you doing at this crash site?"

Wrench displays a Signet Brooch showing he is a member of House Lyrandar.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-04-03 at 10:31 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Brute
    Growling lowly to himself, the warforged would have smiled had he been blessed with the ablity to do so. As the burning airship sailed the horizon, explosions drawing the attention of even deaf men, Brute changed his course from towards the local tavern, to the intresting new business proposial that just showed itself. Hell, opporunity usually doesn't come knocking. Shipwrecks meant survivors and parts. Both meant good business.

Reaching the area, the warforged stopped dead. Others were already there... Now how was he going to handle that?

"I was ordered to clean up the mess. Wrecks cause panic. Bad for business..."
    He said to the badge-flashing other.
    Last edited by Hoorex; 2007-04-03 at 10:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

"Tira Mirron on the grill!" Achille blasphemes in suprise when he sees one of the airships crash. Even though he's on his last day of supplies, he runs toward the smoking crater from the path he's on, hoping that perhaps somebody worth saving might be saved from it.

With the warforged's demands, he stutters "I-I-I I saw the crash...I'll go away if you don't want me to help..." he trails off, ashamed of himself for no rational reason.
    Last edited by Winged One; 2007-04-03 at 10:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ike d'Cannith

Ike steps up to the warforged, and begins to speak. "Well met. My name is Ike d'Cannith, child of House Cannith and bearer of the Mark of Making." He opens his backpack and produces from it a set of identification papers proving his identity. "Now," he continues, "I came here in order to rescue any possible survivors. I don't suppose that you might aid me in this task? Also, it would be useful to know what name you go by."

8. - Top - End - #8

Wrench

Wrench replies to the other warforged first. "Alright. I thought we were the only members of the house nearby. But glad to have you with us."

To Ike he says "I am called Wrench. This is McCormick d'Lyrandar. I'm sure we could use help." He gestures to the Half-Elf who is with him for the introduction.
    The Tangled Web

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Brute
    His little lie had worked like magic. Who said warforged had no charisma?! Laughing heavily within his metal shell, deep in his core, he continued to search the wreckage for anything of value, and hoped to quickly pocket it before anyone else could notice.
    ((Are we doing rolls or is the DM? And are we doing rolls for PC on PC interaction?))
    Last edited by Hoorex; 2007-04-03 at 11:00 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

McCormick

This was all happening too fast... so many looters already... did Wrench just speak over me before I even... oh papers.

Steps around Wrench and takes the papers from Ike's hand,"Thank you Wrench." He looks down at the papers and mulls them over a second before shoving them back at the man. "I don't mean to be rude sir but lets get into the wreckage and start looking for survivors. Your aid in this task will not go overlooked by House Lyrandar."

Formalities out of the way, check. On to the task at hand. "Common Wrench, you'll be left in place for a thousand years if you don't get moving. Bellow for survivors thrice Wrench every 10 minutes or so."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Hearing Wrench, Casfal turns. I am Casfal Markise, he introduces himself in a smooth, educated baritone. I am here to satisfy my curiosity, and to help rescue any survivors. With a flourish he produces his identity papers.
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2007-04-03 at 10:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

{OOC: I voluntarily failed my sense motive check. Wrench isn't very wise, so he could easily be taken advantage of. Of course, you may need to make the check against the rest of the group.}

Wrench

Wrench replies with military crispness "Aye Commander." to McCormick and heads into the wreckage. He'll look around first to make sure the structure is safe and not in danger of collapsing on them and then start looking for survivors.

Know: Architecture - (1d20+3)[5] Edit: If possible, take 10 for this roll instead?
    Search - (1d20+4)[21]
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-04-04 at 04:30 PM.
    The Tangled Web

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Achille
    "Um...I'm Achille...I'm not really with any house, I just thought there might be some survivors when I saw the crash..." Achille mutters. "Um...I'm not sure you want my help...I'm no good..." The human's muscular build under his clothes and chaimail put a lie to his statement, at least refering to physical labor. "Er...I don't really have any papers...they always want to know my last name, and they never believe me when I say I don't have one...but I don't, honest..." A blind monkey could tell that he's lying about his last name.

[ooc]Auto-failing Bluff.[/ooc]
    Last edited by Winged One; 2007-04-03 at 11:00 PM.
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

(1d20)[17] (Search)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Seeing that his identity papers were unneeded, Casfal tucks them away and joins the others in their searching efforts.

Search check: (1d20+1)[15]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Achille takes his cue from the others and also looks through the wreckage for survivors. However, if anybody so much as gives him a dirty look about it, he stops with a mumbled "sorry..."

[ooc]Search (1d20+2=3)[/ooc]
    Last edited by Winged One; 2007-04-03 at 11:07 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ike d'Cannith

Ike returns his papers to his backpack and begins searching the wreckage along with everyone else.

(OoC: Search check: (1d20+3)[22])

18. - Top - End - #18

McCormick

Visibly irked at the interloper that appeared from the trees for being less than forth coming, "You," he said pointing at Achille, "come here with me, I need to speak with you." McCormick walks up swiftly and gently guides the man away at the elbow.

Quitely, but if anyone decides to swing by and eavesdrop... although they'll be clearly going out of their way, "If you are here to loot I advise you strongly to leave the area now and I will forget your name and face. But if you have business with this craft or the house then you best tell me your sir-name."
    While he does this he flips open a leather book that appears to have ribbons and seals of wax stamped within it. It is embossed with the mark of Storms upon it.

Anyone watching would see that McCormick is presenting the man with his identification.
    Last edited by Resonance; 2007-04-04 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Added what others would 'see' if watching the exchange

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Achille doesn't resist being led away, and mumbles a run-on reply of "Um...neither of those are true, actually...I was just around here when I saw the crash...I thought that someone might still be alive...I'll go anyway...they've probably invented airships that pilot themselves and I'm too useless to know about them...is that why you're not asking this stuff to that other warforged besides Wrench?"

20. - Top - End - #20

BlackDragon

The wreckage seems stable for now, but the continuing fires could change that within a fairly short amount of time. Even from the outside, however, it appears obvious that the cargo hold has sustained very little damage- the interior of the ship has been so heavily reinforced that the doors are even still locked... though the locks themselves don't appear to be in great shape.

Curiously, the salvagers would likely note that the airship doesn't actually have any identifying crests or symbols on it. If it is a Lyrander airship, the house didn't feel the need to mark it.

The crew of the ship has faired less well- their bodies are litterred throughout the remains of the ship in varying degrees of recognizability. Curiously, a few of them don't appear to have been killed by the fall... at least one crewman seems to have been impaled by what appears to be a seven foot crossbow bolt.

Then, rather abruptly, a piece of rubble shifts, and a middle-aged man pushes himself into view, groaning and holding a bloody tear in his shirt.

[I can't help but notice we seem to have six players. Lord Iames, I had you down for group 2. If you had your heart absolutely set on joining these guys, I guess you can stay, but if you don't mind we can either retcon your appearance or, even better, work it into the story in an insidious manner. :D]
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

21. - Top - End - #21

Wrench

"Ally in need of Repair." Wrench announces in his metallic voice as he begins moving through the wreckage to get to the wounded man. He tries to clear a path for those with him, expecting one of them with ability to heal to follow.

Upon reaching the man, Wrench will try to clear the rubble from around him to see how extensive his injuries are. If the man looks like he is not in danger of dying, Wrench will begin asking questions. "Can you say what caused this ship to crash?"
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-04-04 at 04:35 PM.
    The Tangled Web

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

[ooc]Is he saying it loudly enough for Achille and McCormick to hear?[/ooc]

23. - Top - End - #23

{OOC: Yes. He would definetly want to make sure that McCormick could hear. I assume you would be close enough for that as well.}
    The Tangled Web

24. - Top - End - #24

McCormick

McCormick begins to question the mans intent and diversion when he is cut off by Wrench, "Why are you... nevermind that now. Can you heal?" Without waiting for a reply he lightly guides Achilles by the back of the armor again towards Wrench. Thirty feet out he begins talking at Wrench.
    "Wrench what's the condition!? How many and are they awake? Take notes. Report later."

McCormick deposits Achilles next to Wrench and bellows out,"Everyone else, keep looking for survivors," as he heads off in the direction of the other Warforged man.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, I can hear him." Achille says. Rather than allowing himself to be guided, human runs as fast as he can in chainmail toward the shouting warforged. When he arrives, he tries to take the rubble off of the survivor.

[ooc]StrengthCheck - (1d20+13)[30][/ooc]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

[ooc]Whoops, I meant to type 1d20+3, not +13 there. So that STR check is actually 20 total.[/ooc]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Casfal, seeing that the others seem to have the injured man under control for now, unlimbers his crossbow, loads it, and executes a coup de grace against one of the locks on the doors to the cargo hold.

((That's max damage, autocrit, so 16 points.))
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2007-04-04 at 05:20 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

Achille is easily able to free the man, but unfortunately Wrench isn't going to be able to help him much- when his hand is oulled away from his wound, a shard of metal is found lodged in his body, going all the way through his torso, severing his spine, and opening up his belly. He doesn't seem to be aware of what's going on around him.

"Actually built them... can't believe it... shot us down... without taking a scratch... king was right... never... should have started... the project..."

His eyes suddenly focus on Wrench, and he takes the warforged's hand in a vicelike grip.

"The prototypes... get them... to Wroat... you'll be... rewarded... all you want... just don't... let them fall into anyone else's hands...!"

Those are the last words he manages to get out. An instant later, Casfal's crossbow bolt shatters the cargo lock, and the hold's door creaks open.

In the darkness beyond, what appears to be a metallic golem of unusual manufature stares menacingly outwards with a single, empty eye.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Casfal goes into the cargo hold to get a better look at the golem.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

"Um...is that one of the prototypes he was talking about?" Achille asks, pointing to the golem through the open door.