New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #600 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Enlong View Post
    Anyway, it's a nice, ricy dish, with lots of good spicy spices giving it a sufficient kick. Then (and this is the best part) you fill it with chunks of meat and stuff. The most popular around my house is boiled chicken and andouille sausage, but we also love to add little chunks of seafood, like shrimp and scallops, and I'm certain that crabmeat would work oh-so well.
    Now I have to try it. I love andouille and little chunks of seafood...

Quote Originally Posted by Enlong View Post
    In short, awesomeness in ricey form, it's like western curry.
    Ok, you've convinced me. My work related travel to the USA always takes me to the DC area and I remember a cajun place in Alexandria where I had this great thing called pecan crusted chicken (yummy). I'll check Jambalaya next time I go there.

OOTS it really broadens your horizons!
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-10-15 at 06:18 PM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ugh, gods, these complaints are annoying. The Giant is most often making strips, not killing time on the forums looking at prediction threads saying 'Oh, well, I can't use THAT." He has stated that the prediction threads make no impact on his writing, not the other way around. Also, for those who thought the comic was a disappointment, I choose to look at the glass half full, (Heck, even "Hey! There is drinkable liquid in that glass! Awesome!") and see the positive lightheartedness to this strip. It reminds me of the Azure city strips before the war, which were fun, jokey, not too much heavy depressiveness. strips, which I am all for, until the plot needs to resurface and the epic battle comes along.
    A handful of true friends, an infinite supply of sodas, a collection of bad movies, and a full supply of webcomics are all one really needs to be happy.

Awesome avatar by Keris Rain!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    I remember a cajun place in Alexandria where I had this great thing called pecan crusted chicken (yummy). I'll check Jambalaya next time I go there.
    I live in Alexandria. What is this place called and where is it?

4. - Top - End - #244

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pjackson View Post
    Where did you get that from?
    In 442 Roy hites Xykon 4 times out of 6 attempts - as you can see by the wounds.
    Roy must have been hitting pretty hard to wound Xykon despite the latters damage resistance without using a bludgeoning weapon.
    Bear in mind that Roy's +5 starmetal alloy sword does an unspecified amount of bonus damage to undead foes. That's presumably why Roy was getting through Xykon's damage resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunesen View Post
    Perception is 9/10th of reality. The term "martial arts" in modern vernacular is meant to be applied only to Asian practices. Stuff like boxing or greco-roman wrestling just aren't called martial arts, that's the way it is.
    It appears not everyone agrees with your analysis.

5. - Top - End - #245

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    But I've decided to re-interpret it as 'heartwarming' rather than a punch to the face.
    Same to me, but it was more of a heartwarming punch to the face.
    Ah, just like father used to make...

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

Those who are less than satisfied with Mr. Burlew's efforts here would do well to remember: he's doing this because he WANTS to, not because he HAS to. And he can stop anytime. I would hate to see that happen, since I enjoy reading this so much. So perhaps a bit less criticism from those who don't know the Giant's "grand plan" for his creation, hmmm? He'll reveal it in his time, not ours.

(Getting down off my soapbox now. )
    "How do you know I'm not Sam Beckett?"

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    Those who are less than satisfied with Mr. Burlew's efforts here would do well to remember: he's doing this because he WANTS to, not because he HAS to. And he can stop anytime. I would hate to see that happen, since I enjoy reading this so much. So perhaps a bit less criticism from those who don't know the Giant's "grand plan" for his creation, hmmm? He'll reveal it in his time, not ours.

Well said,
    and good job Giant, 600 strips in... darn, i don't know when the first came out. Does any one?

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

I went back and checked, #465, that was the last comic that made me laugh. Keep up the good work Mr. Burlew. I'm sure my opinion doesn't really make too much a deal, but I thought I'd just throw that out there.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

All the forum-drama that surrounds these last strips is getting old. The good thing is that in a few tens of strips from now we'll all be cheering when the order gets together.

Quote Originally Posted by Eran of Arcadia View Post
    I live in Alexandria. What is this place called and where is it?
    I'll PM you, not sure about the rules on advertising restaurants.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-10-15 at 11:26 PM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall
    Quote Originally Posted by TVTropes
    Bizarro Chicken Little: In the same fashion as the Chicken Little above, this fan sees doom in every raindrop; however, whereas the former thinks that even the slightest misstep on part of the production team will result in cancellation, this Chicken Little seems to operate on the assumption that even the smallest voice of criticism will reach the ears of the Powers That Be, who will immediately cancel the show in the belief that nobody likes it anymore. Ergo, all voices of criticism must be silenced without prejudice in order to keep the show on the air.
    This thread is a gold mine.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EyethatBinds View Post
    I went back and checked, #465, that was the last comic that made me laugh. Keep up the good work Mr. Burlew. I'm sure my opinion doesn't really make too much a deal, but I thought I'd just throw that out there.
    562, 568, & 584 didn't make you bust a gut? How about ... Oh never mind. If you have not laughed since 465, you didn't laugh much before that either.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is it just me, or are the eyes the wrong way in this comic?
    You know how usually the smaller eye is on the right when they're facing to the right and vice-versa?

(if this was already mentioned before, my bad. But im not reading through all 9 pages)

Edit:
    It looks like its only Horace's and Roy's eyes, too.
    Last edited by Castel; 2008-10-16 at 02:24 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253

PirateGuy

You mean Elan finally grasping sarcasm in 596 didn't make you laugh? Elan popping Kubota right in the face in 594 didn't make you smile? Argent getting his fillings in 588 (and Shojo making a guest appearance to boot), or Belkar discovering the kobold village of Lickmyorangeballshalfling in 568 weren't worth a few chuckles?, What about any of the other ones since 465, which was really kind of a downer comic, with the way it ended on Miko's corpse?

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lyric76 View Post
    Those tired, unyielding days are made immeasurably better whenever there's a new OotS strip. Thank you Rich.

One question... is jambalya the same as jambalaya?
    Yes, it just has less vitamin A.

15. - Top - End - #255

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramien View Post
    or Belkar discovering the kobold village of Lickmyorangeballshalfling in 568 weren't worth a few chuckles?
    I have to say, just thinking about that kobold village makes me chuckle if not outright laugh.

One can wonder why people would read a comic when all they can do is complain.

16. - Top - End - #256

That was just awesome... lol'led at nearly every panel
    It might have been yours, perhaps, but never mine. And in the end, as the darkness takes me, I am nothing.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

I rarely post, and therefore rarely complain. Its not that I don't find the strips past that one assuming, just that I feel the quality of the comic hasn't been in step with what I thought Mr. Burlew was capable of.

The comic is still worth reading [sometimes] so that's why I decided a vain attempt to chide his more recent further dip in quality a more fervent post.

I can respect other people's opine of the comic, I was just expressing my own. No cause for alarm.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I rarely post, and therefore rarely complain. Its not that I don't find the strips past that one assuming, just that I feel the quality of the comic hasn't been in step with what I thought Mr. Burlew was capable of.

The comic is still worth reading [sometimes] so that's why I decided a vain attempt to chide his more recent further dip in quality a more fervent post.

I can respect other people's opine of the comic, I was just expressing my own. No cause for alarm.
    You've misspelt "amusing", and "vain attempt to chide his more recent further dip in quality a more fervent post" is gibberish.
    Also, "opine" is a verb, meaning to state an opinion, whereas what you want in this instance is the word opinion. The word you were searching for is actually "opinion".
    And "Mr. Burlew" seems very formal, almost patronising rather than respectful given the context.

What was it about #465 that made you laugh, and why do you feel that's no longer present in the comic?
    Last edited by deworde; 2008-10-16 at 06:32 AM.
    To the guy responsible for Belkar, Haley and Vaarsuvius. Thank you for providing over 800 comedy gems.

My Favourite Giant Posts
    Well, It Took 10 Years, But His Tolerance For Rules-Based Criticism Finally Snapped Like A Dry Breadstick
    Race Should Not Dictate Alignment

"What's the point in defending the defensible? Where's the challenge in that?" - Nick Naylor, Thank You for Smoking

Spot the Toxic Comic Fans! Gotta Catch 'Em All!

19. - Top - End - #259
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

So I was thinking... does Roy keep asking about time because he does not want to lose track of the passage of time in the heavenly reunion fun, as before?

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by deworde View Post
    What was it about #465 that made you laugh, and why do you feel that's no longer present in the comic?
    I think he was saying that it has been nothing but epic battles and sad things until this strip, and he's happy for the return to funny light comics.
    A handful of true friends, an infinite supply of sodas, a collection of bad movies, and a full supply of webcomics are all one really needs to be happy.

Awesome avatar by Keris Rain!

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverdan22 View Post
    Also, for those who thought the comic was a disappointment, I choose to look at the glass half full, (Heck, even "Hey! There is drinkable liquid in that glass! Awesome!") and see the positive lightheartedness to this strip.
    Forgive those of us who say, "I ordered a beer, an' this seems ta be a tankard o' moose urine".

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

You 'ordered' this beer? Forgive me if I'm misconstruing your words, but that implies a sense of entitlement.

I suspect people are annoyed at this strip because it's not what they expected. As Brian Clevinger once wrote, a joke is a disruption of your expectations. On that definition, #600 succeeded wildly.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

Technically it's not martial arts, Roy is keeping with the medieval knights-and-wizards theme.
    you are missing the point... and taking eugene's words to literally...
    the point is that roy ended up practicing his combat skills with those in the afterlife

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Forgive those of us who say, "I ordered a beer, an' this seems ta be a tankard o' moose urine".
    Or more accurately, "Hey, you said you were giving away free booze, but this is just cold tea".

We are not entitled to anything. Rich does this for free, and we should accept it as such. (Besides, cold tea can be a refreshing drink... )

Have Fun!
    Niknokitueu
    Join the HackMaster revolution (now new and improved: 5th Ed HackMaster!)
    Getting the Hack on since 2001 - I like my AD&D 'Old School'.

Psyren:
    "Just want to point out that if your argument for [Durkula being] LG relies on pointing to Miko, you may need to rethink it from the ground up."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Banned

Perception is 9/10th of reality.
    So, you right in your own reality. I stick to the part of reality where words are used for their proper meaning.
    (Actually, by the tone of your post it could be that you just making a big joke, but still...)

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #600 - The Discussion Thread

Compliments apart, I must say that I'm shocked by the would-be letdown, specially because it wasn't disappointing at all. That's all I wanted for #600: Creativity . I'm not waiting for anything in the next #_00 comics, just so you know. Maybe for #1000, but there's no need really. Just keep the formula (fun+rpg+awe+drama+thrill...) multiplied by something
    In Rich We Trust

Spoiler
    Show

I Am A:

True Neutral Gnome Bard (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 16
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 15

27. - Top - End - #267

Zombie

The last time I laughed at an OOTS strip must've been about, oooh, #600.

And before that it was waaaay back in #599.

Oh wait...
    Thanks for the avatar, Jair Barik!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    ....you are an evil, brilliant man.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post

(Getting down off my soapbox now. )
    Still this is his job, he left his original employment to do this full time. It is not unreasonable for those supporting his career and his livelihood to complain if the product is not up to standards Burlew himself set

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

And it appears whether those standards were maintained in this issue is in the eye of the beholder.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

30. - Top - End - #270
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zach12376 View Post
    Well said,
    and good job Giant, 600 strips in... darn, i don't know when the first came out. Does any one?
    I came in at strip number 7, it still serves as my bookmark for this site. I remember laughing so hard at Thor-Prayer™ that I was incapacitated for several minutes. Sadly it has been some time since I’ve done much more than crack a faint smile at OOTS.

I have decided to not check in daily here ( I will be for Erfworld updates…but not OOTS.) I will do a monthly read of it until either the story line actually resumes or I completely loose interest entirely in OOTS