New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Oh, Chicago... (Call of Cthuhlu)

In the mine

In that case, the repair-job is successful.

OOC: However, a note: Frank and anyone else in the alcove, you're still in the dark, your time has yet to catch up to the guys fixing the lights.

The lights are rewired, at great danger to Tony, but they do go on.

The miner giving him a hard time glares at him. "You're definitely some sort of company hot shot. If you drop the act about getting us organized, then I'll come over and give you a hearty handshake. That was nice stringing there."

If asked about why he's not too concerned about his coworker yelling about the skeletons...

"Aw, Phil's like one of those variety show harlequins. Probably some deer dropped down and died in there and's giving him the frights."
    Last edited by DarkCloud; 2008-12-17 at 01:31 PM.
    Kalen the Kobold Paladin by Sneak ; Avatar by Shirwill Jack. (Thanks!)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

ooc - no worries, if you need me to pause just say so

Jimmy

Jimmy says with a laugh, "No sir, I don't work here, but I am in a particular line of business that establishments like this require to continue their existence."
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

"Hey fellas! Who turned out the lights! Hello? Phil, you ok? Crap," says Frank, feeling around in his coat pocket for his matches, then remembering the sulfur smell, thinks better of it. Frank feels around for the miner.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Please make the luck roll? See post #203 for what would happen. :)
    Last edited by DarkCloud; 2008-12-18 at 01:20 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Nevermind. I'll speed things up. :)

Frank's Luck [rolld100]

6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground

Apparently... the board doesn't want me rolling for Frank. I always have difficulty remembering how to roll for these boards. I tried [ roll **** = d100] but it didn't appear to work.
    Last edited by DarkCloud; 2008-12-18 at 01:21 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloud View Post
    The lights are rewired, at great danger to Tony, but they do go on.

The miner giving him a hard time glares at him. "You're definitely some sort of company hot shot. If you drop the act about getting us organized, then I'll come over and give you a hearty handshake. That was nice stringing there."
    Tony glares at the miner, keeping his hands hands firmly by his sides.

Stuff it, Mick. I'm sick of you talkin' down to me like I'm something that got stuck to the bottom of your boot. I came down here because I thought you boys might have some labor issues and could use representation and organization. Between the late working hours and the poor working conditions, I thought your employer may have been trying to take advantage of you. Turns out I was wrong and that you're just stupid. Working in light too dim to be able to see variations in the rock that you're blasting, running your lights in series so that if one breaks they all go out, and not even helping your mate get out of that hole! It's a wonder to me that you still even have jobs.

Tony starts to walk back toward the bar, but turns back to the miner after just a step or two.

And don't ever let me hear you call me "gimp" again.

With that, he limps back out to the main bar area.
    Last edited by Baerdog7; 2008-12-18 at 09:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Baerdog: super genius.

8. - Top - End - #218

PirateGuy

Ben

The reporter will look around at the newly lit dig site. "So what sort of progress do you make nightly, and what stone are going through here ?"
    Last edited by Rapscallion; 2008-12-18 at 11:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Luck - (1d100)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show
    the command is[roll=Luck]1d100[/roll]. If you want to see all your dice it's [rollv]6d6[/roll]

Edit: and the reason it says "post roll count etc." Is because I added those rolls in an edit to show you the tags.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by UserClone; 2008-12-19 at 08:19 AM.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

10. - Top - End - #220
    Orc in the Playground

OOC: Thanks FlWiPig !
    OOC: Tony- Haha. Good job keeping your dignity.

---

To Ben:
    The guy who was smoking a cigarette, now extinguished, laughs. "Nightly, well, we crack through about 10 cubic feet each day, at least. We'd do more, but can't work when the bank's humming upstairs, and we can't do nothin' when the bar's hummin' downstairs, so we try to sneak in what we can b'tween 5-10 with the dynamitin'. Then from 10-4 we get going with the picks. We figure we'll be done with everything in 'bout two weeks, at this rate."

to Frank/Meyer:
    You succeed. You reach for the guy and shake him, then start pulling him up, even though you yourself are on your knees, half in and half out of the widening hole. As you pull, the lights go on behind you and a blue glow flares briefly in front of you, then subsides. You catch a better glimpse of the skeleton. It looks vaguely like a human head, connected to a torso that is covered by some rotted, but partially preserved clothing.

To Tony:
    The guy giving you a hard time coughs, then shrugs. You make your way back toward the front of the cavern and notice that the door is shut. If you try the door, you find that it's locked, from the outside. Knocking...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Listen For Slade - (d100)[25]
    does not net you anything immediately, but you are knocking somewhat loud so you figure that someone probably can hear you.

---
    In the Bar.

Everyone can hear a slight banging on the wall, but no one pays it immediate notice. Slade is standing by the bar, arms crossed and waiting for Bill to emerge from the cellar.

At the bar itself, Jimmy is still talking to the older gentleman.

"Really now." the fellow starts nodding. "That's capital. The country could really use more fellows like you."
    Last edited by DarkCloud; 2008-12-20 at 10:37 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221

RogueGuy

At the bar itself, Jimmy is still talking to the older gentleman.

"Really now." the fellow starts nodding. "That's capital. The country could really use more fellows like you."

ooc - im not reading the non-bar stuff to make for more hilariousness when whatever **** hits the fan.

"Well, not to many," Jimmy says with a smile, "A man's gotta stay in business."
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

OOC: DJDeMiko- Great! :) I'm really looking forward to seeing how that scene turns out.

---
    In the Bar

"Yes." The older gentleman (Montoliver) nods sagely. "It always is trying when there is competition. When you're only one, you can be substandard in your workmanship; when there are many competitors, then you must outshine them to preserve your market share... something which regrettably this speakeasy is failing at remarkably well tonight."

The man with the feather in his cap overhears the conversation and he leans over his friend (the lady wearing the significant amount of lipstick.) And laughs. "Man, wassa problem with this joint? Not servin' the likker quick e'nough?" He laughs again, and extends both arms, one to both of you, sandwiching his friend between the outstretched appendages- she doesn't appear to mind (she's busy lighting a cigarette.). "Name's Deano- Deano Fabbricani."

"Charmed." Montoliver gives a light shake to the offered hand. Montoliver's tone expresses a feeling of something less than charm. "And your line of employment is?"

Deano laughs and puts a finger on his nose's bridge. "Accounting style work. Running the numbers, ya know, for the Boss. I'm da best at what I do, y'know. Boss is a real High Roller, needs really high quality people lookin' out for him, ya know. "

Idea or Psych roll
    Spoiler
    Show
    Deano is likely insinuating he works for the mob. His dress appears to back up that statement. Also... see character notes.
    Last edited by DarkCloud; 2008-12-21 at 02:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Frank pulls the guy out of there and towards the light at his back.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

OOC: Rapscallion... you could do a geology check to see what you know about the stones instead of asking. Don't forget ;) (You don't have to make the check, I was just making sure you knew about your skills.) For all, feel free to declare checks at any point.

15. - Top - End - #225

RogueGuy

Jimmy

Jimmy gives Deano a pointed look up and down, not trying to insult the man, just making it clear that he's checking him out. Jimmy reaches his hand out and says, "Pleased to make your acquaintance, I'm Jimmy Johnson."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

In the Bar:

"Jimmy Johnson. I've heard that name before." Deano laughs. "Are you that guy who flies planes or something- oh, and I've heard you're a big gambler, right? Ain't that true? Well, me and my honey love to bet so what say you and me, and this Gentleman right here get something hopping while we're waiting for our drinks?"

A few more faces have emerged around the bar, and Zoot's singing again. The mood is becoming gradually more festive, and louder.

The sound of banging against the door has become almost too faint to hear from anywhere in the room.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

In the Cave for Frank

OOC: Oooh. (Strength Check x 4) to pull Phil out of the hole.... the way that works is you take your strength, multiply by 4, then roll under that number to succeed.
    Last edited by DarkCloud; 2008-12-21 at 04:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

STRx4 - (1d100)[77] vs 64%

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

Frank strains and heaves, but he cannot grab and lift Phil out from beyond the gap. Phil scrambles on the ground and Frank looses his grip, then falls backwards out of the hold.

Cole walks over to Frank, lantern held in one hand. He offers his other to Frank. "Heyna, ya all right there?" He asks.
    Last edited by DarkCloud; 2008-12-21 at 07:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tony Carlotti

Tony knocks on the door again, harder this time, to try and get the attention of anyone in the bar. If that doesn't work, he'll try to jimmy the lock, mess with the hinges, and finally force the door open.

Spoiler
    Show
    Locksmith: (1d100)[45] vs. 30, for the lock.
    Mech. Repair: (1d100)[23] vs. 65, for the hinges.
    Strength: (1d100)[96] 64, to force the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Baerdog: super genius.

21. - Top - End - #231

PirateGuy

Ben

Spoiler
    Show

(1d100)[69] versus Geology 35.This is to come up with a better idea to mine or move the rock.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

As Frank is being helped up, he says, "Thanks. Hey, what's with your buddy in there? It felt like he was pullin' away real hard back in there when I tried to yank him out."

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

To Tony

Tony tries to Jimmy the lock with his bare hands, but doesn't have much luck. His shouting may have some effect, he hopes, but he'll have to wait.

Messing with the hinges, using a handkerchief as a rag to pull at them, he manages to unscrew the top one, but not the bottom. He tries to pull the door up and off the hinges, but isn't strong enough to get the things taken apart.

Tired, he considers his other options.

Note: He's at the door, near the place where the helmets and lantern and trash were.

---

to "Frank"

Phil shakes his head. "I dunno. So what was in there? A dead antelope or something? I've heard those things drop down, probably fell in there when the bank was under construction y'know."

Inside the fissure Cole scrambles on his hands and knees, then gets to his feet. You hear a loud bang, like that of something striking rock. Then you hear a screamed expletive. The patter of feet on ground echoes for a second, then you hear a collapse, another scream and a series of thuds.

"Oh, blimey." Phil turns toward the gap, and with his turn so too turns the lantern. It still fails to illuminate the skull inside. But it also fails to illuminate Cole.

---
    To Ben

The geology of this place is difficult to make out due to the poor lighting. You figure it's limestone, tough to cut through generally, unless weakened by blasting powder. Once weakened, it can be cut through.

Beyond that, you know that caverns can sometimes be found in limestone caverns. The ones around Chicago are never very large. You're surprised that the foudnations of the bank didn't run into this one.

Archaelogy will tell you what sort of dead creatures and artifacts to find buried in the caverns...

24. - Top - End - #234

RogueGuy

ooc - whats the time?

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

OOC: About 10:35

In the Bar

Jimmy might recognize the sound of banging at the cavern door with a +35 listen check if he cares. Just letting you know because you said you weren't reading what was going on in the cave. ;) This should be amusing.
    Last edited by DarkCloud; 2008-12-23 at 11:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236

RogueGuy

Jimmy

listen check rolld100[/roll] dc 90

edit - I fail!
    Last edited by DJDeMiko; 2008-12-23 at 11:51 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237

RogueGuy

Jimmy

(1d100)[22] listen check dc 80

edit - actions waiting for what I hear :)
    Last edited by DJDeMiko; 2008-12-23 at 11:52 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

JIMMY
    You hear "the sound of banging at the cavern door" which is the door where the other people entered. You hear a few soft bangs. Then it stops, then you hear another thud. But that stops.

29. - Top - End - #239

RogueGuy

JIMMY
    You hear "the sound of banging at the cavern door" which is the door where the other people entered. You hear a few soft bangs. Then it stops, then you hear another thud. But that stops.
    Banging like someone's knocking? or like gun shots or like just more noise?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

Just more noise, similar to that when you heard the shaking.