New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Slaves to desires.

Marquis, 2nd group

The floating cat takes in the view. He looks back at the lizard making its way to the dueling dragons. Almost on a whim Marquis establishes a psionic link with Smaug.

"Hmmm, yes, noble beasts. Noble beasts who are currently occupied with tearing each other apart. I advise against it. Besides, I believe I've found an settlement suitable to our needs."

Spoiler
    Show
    Mindlink 1PP
    A post about nothing.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Smaug, 2nd Group

Smaug was surprised to hear Marquis' voice in his head all of sudden, but with everything that had happened the last hour and the other magical animals in his company, he didn't dwell too much on it.
    He considered Marquis' words and in the end concluded that the cat did have a point. And after all, it wasn't really considered polite among dragons to meddle in others' private affairs.

Yes, I suppose you're right about that. he answered in his mind to the feline. But about you insisting about going to a settlement: Cats are domesticated by humans, they're pets, so they won't notice too much if you walk into their village. And I guess that I could be able to go unnoticed, too. But unless we can somehow turn the large ape and wolverine invisible, they won't be welcomed with open arms...And as long as we have no idea of where we are, splitting ourselves up is risky.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Marquis, 2nd

I have ways of accommodating them. If they are so disinclined to a little civilization they can entertain themselves in the surrounding tundra. I doubt the adrenaline pumped victor will be more merciful than any human hospitality, Marquis replies.
    Last edited by GrassyGnoll; 2008-11-14 at 07:25 PM.
    A post about nothing.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Animus, 3rd Group

"Well, my name's Animus. I used to live in a tavern, so I'm familiar with humans and most things like them. I'm also a pretty good singer and, if years of listening to humans talk is worth anything, a decent talker too." Animus smiles nervously, "I'm not used to the outdoors. The past couple months have been very jarring in comparison to what I used to do every day."

"I get the feeling we should stick together right now. Caves were one of the more common locations I remember hearing about from people bragging about their exploits." Animus stared at the entrance to the cave, trying to draw some mental connections between something he may have heard, the local geography and the warning signs strewn about. "Anyway, if the cave turns out to be clear, we can turn it into a base of operations. This stringy thing is supposed to be able to build things fast, so I think it could make a proper dwelling."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bardic Knowledge - (1d20+9)[17]

5. - Top - End - #125

"Sentry"

Sentry moves to the tree the archer are in, and looks up at them. "No need to shoot, we do not mean you any harm. We are simply lost in these woods." He says.

Spoiler
    Show
    Talking is a free action, if they attack, or respond hostile, I'll post his combat action.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Karook

The baboon eventually sighs; as much as he liked to see the dragon-beasts fight, he reckoned, he should think about where he wanted to go next. He nodded towards Marquis. What did you see?

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+6)[8] knowledge arcana to remember more about these two kinds of dragons and their likely age category. How big are they btw?
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Marquis

"Ice," the cat replies coolly, " and humans. I'd rather take my chances with the humans. I propose we leave, before those two take notice of us."

Marquis, barring interruption by his companions, touches down and begins descending the path.
    Last edited by GrassyGnoll; 2008-11-14 at 11:21 PM.
    A post about nothing.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Bub:

Bub groaned. Icy tundra, humans, or dragons: three awful solutions to a predicament that didn't seem all that great. He grew up in the woods, northern woods, and temperatures didn't concern him, but he always knew that there wasn't anything to eat out on the ice. Nothing to eat, nothing to take cover from, they'd be doomed if a snowstorm hit or something.

Humans, humans had warmth and food, but also ... humans with their arrows and their armor and their damned fear. Maybe he could eat a small one, but he wasn't going to risk it and get turned into a fur coat. He growled to himself and took a look at his companions. For the time being, they would have to deal with his companions--and the cat could at least do something in their company, but still ... humans.

Dragons: big things ate little things. Not something he wanted to be apart of.

"Fine, humans it is, we'd freeze otherwise, but I ain't going to stay past getting us some grub and some place to sleep." On the plus side he might eat his frozen companions, and maybe wear their pelts for warmth (he had good knowledge that he would out live them in the snow), but it was a little too late to do much about it.

It could always be plan B.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Krrk

Krrk drags himself away from the spectacle of the dragons with difficulty, half tempted to throw a magic missle or two first...but he doesn't. "Gah, we'll have to let them sort it out themselves..."

After a breif flight to catch his companions, he settles down on Karooks head. "Onwards! To the humans, and destiny!"
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Karook

Karook rubbed his chin. The dragons were somewhat of an inspiration for him, and one of the few creatures he still could not imitate, but they might not share his feelings, and he was in their territory. Ice was, well, something he didn't particularly care about.Not that he had a thing for humans, or at least most - but if they lived somewhere, it was probably a bit better than here, as they weren't supposed to care about ice too much anyway. Oh well, might as well give it a try.

A saying passed through his head - "Do not look for trouble, it will find you." Now just where did he hear that? He couldn't remember. Well, trouble had found them anyway, hadn't it? Ok, let's give the humans a try. At least it would probably be warmer.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Group 1:

Atta frowns then nods. "Don't worry. They won't eat you..." She says in an attempt to soothe him, before her eyes scan the village around her, before finally settling down on an old couple. "Let's ask them." She walks over to them and nods. "Excuse me, but... do you think you could help us?" When the old couple looks towards Atta curiously, she nudges Siv slightly with her leg, in an attempt to make him speak.

---

Before Sentry has a chance to speak, another group of arrows fly towards Katrina, one of them digging horribly deep in her flesh, causing her to cry out loud in pain.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative is
    Hunters
    Freki
    Sentry
    Katrina.

Katrina now takes 28 points of damage thanks to a critical hit and has to make the same saves as before.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

2nd group.

The animals make their way down the valley. A loud roar finally echoes from behind, and the more curious ones turn and see the Red dragon flying away as quickly as it can, his body battered and beaten into submission.

Finally, after spending almost two hours walking downwards, the narrow mountain path changes into a softer path of dirt leading towards a city protected by wooden palisade walls and small country houses with roofs of straw and sticks on a large field of grass. Closer to the village are several smaller fields of various produce such as oats, and these fields are being tended to by human workers.

To the delight of Marquis, he feels that his mind has begun resonating with some of these people, and there is especially one mind that he feels a very strong connection with.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Group 3:

Margaret chases into a random cave, and moments later comes running out as the caves collapse behind her. Apparently, unstable mine shafts can't really handle a beast running at 160 feet every six seconds. A more careful search though, reveals that the caves seem safe enough if you just enter them slowly and don't randomly knock down support pillars. There is no obvious reason for why the mines were abandoned, as it seems to still be quite profitable. Sivore even notices that some of the ores have magical properties... but whatever the reason, there is no sign of it here.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Katrina snarls, then yaps at Sentry [Animal]That does it, they're dead. Knock that tree over!

Spoiler
    Show
    What kind of hunter uses poison?
    !1 Fort saves (1d20=4, 1d20=6, 1d20=19, 1d20=17)
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

15. - Top - End - #135

"Sentry", Group 1

Sentry moves to the tree the archer are in, and looks up at them. "No need to shoot, we do not mean you any harm. We are simply lost in these woods." He says, but after seeing the second volley of arrows, he shakes the tree. "I don't want to hurt you, but I will protect my allies."

Spoiler
    Show
    Just trying to shake the tree and scare them, not knock it over.
    Strength Check 37

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Marquis, 2nd group

"How fortuitous, why there even seems to be a welcome wagon," the cat nods towards a mounted figure trotting up the path.

As he draws closer the traveler comes into detail. He looks to be a heavily armed and armored man with blond hair and a half-helm covering his lower face. His armor is a deep blue, almost as black as the destrier he rides. Over his shoulder a cloth emblem hangs and to his sides a mace and axe lay in tightly bound scabbards. He wears a white tabard over his chest and between his legs. As the rider approaches he slows his steed and inclines his head to Marquis.

"My liege is most gracious to have me. I, Cyrano De Guiche, am at your service," he bows respectfully.

"See," Marquis looks back at his companions, "the locals are most hospitable."
    Last edited by GrassyGnoll; 2008-11-15 at 10:59 PM.
    A post about nothing.

17. - Top - End - #137

Entara, Group 1

Hearing the cries of pain distracts Entara from staring at the fire, and he heads back towards the others at full speed.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Dreamshifter; 2008-11-15 at 10:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Freki, Group 1

Freki growls and pads forward, eyes locked on the hunters. "Hey, I thought you lot were supposed to be an intelligent race. Please, try and show something more than what you are."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moved to about the same distance from them as Katrina, ready to attack if the situation calls for it.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Animus, Group 3

Animus was struck by a sudden thought, something seemed to click in his mind. He looked back toward the town, the forest, the field of daisies, "I think I may have heard of this place. These are the Phoenix Mines. Used to be a popular topic of discussion a while ago. These mines were incredibly profitable, and Krasjanok" Animus motioned with a wing toward the town, "saw a lot of growth and prosperity because of it. Then the mine workers started bursting into flames for some reason, and the authorities could never figured out why. They closed the mines not long after because it was too risky to keep them open."

He scratched his head, "I wouldn't trust the-What's that sound?" Animus glanced into the mine entrance long enough to see Margaret outrunning a massive cloud of dust, and only long enough to see that much; he had taken off in an attempt to avoid any debris that may have headed his way.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Bub - 2nd group:

Bub started to growl at the knight as he approached: weapons, but no nets. He couldn't stand nets. Nets were bad, oh so very bad. Bad nets, very bad nets. His eyes glossing over with hatred and spite for the humans that harmed him so, but a few deep breaths brought him too once the human bowed before the cat.

Bub's growl turned away to actual fear as he glanced at his companions (other than Marquis) as if to say: what gives? He could make a human, a horse-lord human do the most unthinkable thing, serve him? This worried him, it made him afraid. What powers did this cat have over humans? After all flying was one thing, but ... this, whatever ... this was, it was not pretty. Was he in league with the humans? Was he going to kill them all? Bub sighed as he looked at the human with agitation, making it perfectly obvious that he would kill him on a moment's notice if necessary and would continue to look at him with a great deal of spite throughout their encounter.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Marquis, 2nd

The fuzzball turns back to his mounted retainer. With a wiggle of his behind and a leap Marquis perches himself on the horse's back. The knight turns the horse in the saddle to a silent command, re-revealing the cat laying back to back with Cyrano. Marquis looks quite content to be freed of the drudgery of walking and pushes himself ever so lightly against his living backrest.

"Now that we're here. We might as well find out where here is," Marquis' familiar voice prods," And find a clothier to make me a necklace out of these."

The cat knits out two ioun stones from tangles in his fur and bats them into the saddlebags.

Spoiler
    Show
    Scarlet/blue and pink/green. I trust if Marquis has them attached to a collar they will still confer their enhancement bonuses?
    Last edited by GrassyGnoll; 2008-11-16 at 06:21 PM.
    A post about nothing.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Katrina

Seeing as her packmates have elected to be no use whatsoever, Katrina takes cover. See if getting shot a few time would put a damper on those cheerful dispositions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Total defense (AC 27) and move 35 feet away (50% concealment)
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

23. - Top - End - #143
    Bugbear in the Playground

Margaret, 3rd group

"Notsafe notsafe notsafe!" The deinonychus comes tearing out of the mines, then briefly disappears as a cloud of dust roars out of the entrance and engulfs her. She stands still, panting, and waits for it to settle.

"Bad idea. Notgood. Notsafe. Notcomfortable. Maybe there were magic rocks. Maybemaybe. But can't run. Can't be flashgrace quickgirl in there. We should keep moving. Moving moving moving."

Margaret darts to the edge of the group, eagerly looking back and forth between them and the way leading deeper into the mountains. If any of them are inclined to follow, she'll start exploring.
    Freelance writer and editor, at your service.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~solemncoyote

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Krrk, second group

Suprised at the humans servitude, Krrk looks up and calls from Karooks head. "Oi, bigjobs! Why've you come down for us? You still thinkin' for yourself?" Hohoho, we've got ourselves a mind-controllin' cat! Watch out world!
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

25. - Top - End - #145

Smaug, 2nd group

Smaug is quite astonished to see the unexplained worship of the man and he takes note of what Krrk said.
    He lands on the steed as well, a bit further away from the man than Marquis - he still didn't trust the man, and the cat only became more suspicious in his eyes.
    How did you do that? I knew humans liked cats, but I'm quite sure that calling them liege and bowing isn't normal behaviour for them. he asks.

When he sees the red dragon flee, Smaug can't help but feel somewhat content for a few moments (he likes silver dragons more than red dragons from what he's heard of them), but immeadiately repents after this selfish thought.
    I hope He has sympathy for my foolishness... he thinks.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Karook

Karook is somewhat refreshed to feel a more temperate climate, and seems to be in a much better mood now. He notes the passing red with a bit of alarm - dragons were proud, powerful legend-beasts, and could often vent their rage on those who did little to deserve it. Luckily, the defeated red passes without taking notice of them. He becomes nervous again as they head towards the village; he was more interested in heading down the mountain towards warmer climes, not prancing around humans. Still, might as well leave the cat with them - he was starting to believe that it could save him a lot more trouble afterwards.

Seeing the human, his first reaction is to move aside and hide... or at least take cover to see how things will develop. He didn't trust humans much, and being armed and on a horse didn't improve matters, either. The human's deference to Marquis, however, completely surprised him. As far as he knew, armed humans were not likely to obey their orders, and Marquis had done nothing to insure such loyalty... Unless he had done so before. But before when? Or was it again,mmmrgh, magic? Yeah, probably was. He didn't like magic much. In the hands... paws of that cat, he didn't like it at all. Going solo started to sound like better still.

Yet, for now, he luched along. The others seemed ok with it, so it could be useful to see what they'd do.

(Animal?) Ok, so go to the village. Any of you has some ideas about afterwards? I feel cooped up when there are too many humans around. Force of habit.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Sleepy, 3rd group.

"Heh, rocks go boom."
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Marquis, 2nd

"It's all," the little psion yawns lazily, "a matter of leverage."

"Don't preoccupy your simian mind with the details. We'll be in, we'll be out. Maybe you'll even catch word of your beloved Atta," Marquis coerces.
    A post about nothing.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Bub - second group

"If we really need to get," he said to the simian, "we could dress up as ... humans" he spat out the last word with as much possible distaste as wolveriny possible. He stood on his hind legs and took a few steps to demonstrate that he could look like a human (or rather a very odd-looking dwarf), in the dark, and with a cloak.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Karook

Karook appears unperturbed by Marquis' remark, and seems content to let it drop. He looks at Bub with a mixture of surprise and amusement, and gives him a pat. Maybe not.