New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Shippingitp IV: Flattery Will Get You EVERYWHERE

What happens when Cristo gets bored and has a fic hanging over his head?

He finishes it.

The final episodes of Dark Moon Rising. This'll probably be more than one post, there's like 8 episodes. Sorry for just kinda unloading them all at once, but I figure if I've got 'em, might as well share 'em.

A Change of Plans (Dirk Kris/RHL)

Spoiler
    Show

“Dirk!” the Dead Queen shouted.

The man appeared from behind one of the stone columns, stepping out into the great hall. “Yes?”

“Reinholdt has just reported in. We’re going to have Heraldic company soon.” The Dead Queen smiled. “Time to rethink our approach to this.”

“The paladin is coming here?”

The Dead Queen nodded slowly. “Not just any paladin, the famed Mordokai the Humble.”

Dirk had heard the name, of course. That name was well-known among certain circles. “Well this is interesting…Shall we eliminate him then?”

The Dead Queen rested her chin on her hands. “No…I’m going to let him come here.”

“My Queen, I don’t think…”

“I plan on sending the Order a message, and I think the reanimated corpse of one of their heroes is the perfect thing to deliver it.”

“Are you sure this is wise?” Dirk asked, “Angering the Heraldic Order?”

“It has become necessary. The Orders have to know we mean business and that any attempt to use us, use me, as a pawn will be dealt with harshly.” The Dead Queen waved a hand dismissively. “Prepare for his arrival.”

“Of course, my Queen.” Dirk gave a short bow and left.

The Dead Queen sat, pensive. Conflict with the Orders was inevitable now, but she was determined to come out on top.

First Blood (Cristo (Mi'ir)/Wolfbane/Mordokai/Reinholdt/Serpentine)
    Spoiler
    Show

Wolfbane sniffed the air off the inn experimentally. The scent, that familiar scent was here. He scanned the patrons and met Mi’ir’s level gaze. “You…” he growled.

Mi’ir looked from Mordokai to Wolfbane. “Well hell…” He stepped around Mordokai. “Good to see you too, Wolfbane.”

“I thought I recognized your scent, DeCallo.” Wolfbane growled again. “You won’t escape me again.”

Mordokai stood behind Mi’ir. “I suggest you leave, bounty hunter. Mi’ir is under my protection.”

“Stay out of this, paladin, you don’t know who you’re dealing with!”

Mi’ir smirked. “And you don’t know what you’re doing…” He bolted out of the inn, pushing past the lupine and heading out into the street.

“Dammit!” Wolfbane picked himself up and followed the bard, chasing after him. Mordokai ran out after the both of them, leaving behind a very confused common room.

--
    Mi’ir stood in the middle of the street, waiting for Wolfbane. Wolfbane didn’t disappoint, appearing shortly after Mi’ir had stopped. “I’ve been waiting for this. You won’t escape me again, Dark Moon…”

Mi’ir smiled. “I don’t intend to. You won’t get in the way, not now, lupine.” Knives seemed to materialize in Mi’ir’s hands. “This chase ends here.”

Wolfbane grinned. “I can live with that. I won’t let the Dark Moon succeed!” He unstrapped his weapon, a large double-headed axe. “I’ve spent too long fighting them to let you succeed in whatever you’re plotting.”

Mi’ir’s smile never wavered. “You never did have any clue, lupine. We’ve already won.”

Wolfbane growled and charged forward, hoping to crush Mi’ir beneath his axe. Mi’ir skipped backwards, too fast for the hulking lupine. But Wolfbane’s reach was too long for Mi’ir to get close enough to do any damage with the knives. It was a stalemate, at least until someone made a mistake. Or someone joined in…

Mordokai appeared, sword drawn. “I warned you, bounty hunter! Leave now!”

Wolfbane turned to face Mordokai. “You have no idea who you’re protecting! He’s-” Wolfbane’s voice was cut off as Mi’ir took the opportunity and slashed across Wolfbane’s leg. Wolfbane growled and limped backwards, never taking either Mi’ir or Mordokai out of his sight. Mi’ir never let up, continuing to harry and chase the lupine. Another lucky hit on Wolfbane’s wounded leg brought him down, leaving him at Mi’ir’s mercy. Mi’ir readied his weapon to finish the lupine when a distinctive click rang out.

“Move and you’re dead!” Reinholdt had his rifle trained on Mi’ir.

“Reinholdt! This one is-” Mi’ir kicked Wolfbane’s wounded leg savagely, cutting him off.

“Quiet! Paladin, these are agents of the Dead Queen! They’re here to kill us both!” Mi’ir drew back to strike.

“Don’t! Move!” Reinholdt took aim, “At this range I will not miss!”

“Mi’ir!” Mordokai shouted. Mi’ir stalled, only for a moment, but it was enough time for Wolfbane to kick out with his good leg, catching Mi’ir near the knee. Wolfbane scrambled away, Mi’ir drew back and let one of his knives loose. A single gunshot rang out as the knife connected with Wolfbane’s back, driving deep enough to hit a lung. Wolfbane collapsed. Mi’ir froze, checking himself for wounds, but there weren’t any. He turned to look at Reinholdt.

Reinholdt had the tip of Mi’ir’s sword jutting from his chest. Behind him, Serpentine held on to the other end of the sword in trembling hands. “C…Celestine said that…” Reinholdt fell, leaving Serpentine holding the weapon. “She…she said that…”

Mi’ir walked over and gently took the sword from her. “It’s alright, it’s over.”
    He returned to Wolfbane, who stared defiantly up at him. His jaw started to move, Mi’ir knelt in to listen.

“You…will…fail…Dark Moon…you…will…fail.”

“I think not.” Mi’ir finished the lupine with a quick stroke.

Mordokai was busy with Serpentine. “Come on, we need to leave. Go back to the inn and gather up our things.”

“I…”

“Go! We’ll be right behind you!” He gave the girl a gentle shove. “Go!” Mordokai turned to Mi’ir. “You have explaining to do, DeCallo.”

Mi’ir nonchalantly wiped the blood from his sword. “What? You think you’re the only one after Mi’ir DeCallo? I’ve had bounty hunters after me for some time, paladin.”

“That’s not what I meant. The lupine, what was he saying? Exactly who am I protecting?”

Mi’ir walked up to Mordokai and coolly met his gaze. “I wouldn’t trust me either. But at least I’m not trying to kill you.”

“That’s not good enough, DeCallo.”

“That’s all you’re getting, though. I’m not your friend, paladin. If anything, I’m still your prisoner. Once this thing with the Dead Queen is done, we’ll settle this, yes?”

Mordokai never slipped from Mi’ir’s gaze. Mi’ir was right, the Dead Queen was more important for now. “Yes.”

Mi’ir smiled, leaned in, and kissed Mordokai on the cheek. “Good. I’ll be looking forward to it.” Mordokai watched the bard leave back down the street towards the inn. Only one thing stood prominent in his mind: he wasn’t sure that the Dead Queen was indeed the greater threat right now.

Regrets (Mordokai/Serpentine)
    Spoiler
    Show

The trio had gathered just outside the city gates. Mi’ir and Mordokai led the way towards the Dead Queen’s stronghold. Serpentine lagged behind, still dazed from what had happened in the streets. Mordokai fell back to walk beside her. “You did the right thing.” Serpentine didn’t respond. “I’m sorry you had to do that.”

Serpentine turned to look at the paladin. “I’ve never even fought before…”

“I know.”

“I’ve never had to fight before. Life on the plains is far from peaceful sometimes, but…”

Mordokai nodded. “You’ve never been exposed to the ways of war.”

“I…I’ve killed before. Hunting, animals, but this…”

“Not the same, is it?” Serpentine shook her head. “There really isn’t much I can say. I wish that you never had gotten involved in this.”

Serpentine shook her head again. “No, I don’t. It’s just…If I hadn’t stabbed that man, he would’ve killed Mi’ir, right?”

“In all likelihood.”

Serpentine was silent for a moment, thinking. After a few moments, she spoke. “Then why does this feel wrong?”

“I don’t know. I don’t think it’s supposed to feel right.”

“You’ve killed before, right?”

Mordokai nodded. “When I’ve had to. I’m not supposed to kill if I can avoid it. My duty is redemption and maintaining order, not war.”

“And those that won’t be redeemed?”

“No one is that far gone.”

“The Dead Queen?”

Mordokai sighed. “I…I’m not sure.” They continued walking in silence for a while. Mordokai broke the silence. “I suppose I’d have to kill her.”

“Is that the right thing to do?”

“I don’t know, Serpentine, I don’t know anymore.”

Beginning of the End (Dirk Kris/Cristo (Mi'ir/Serpentine/Mordokai/RHL)
    Spoiler
    Show

As they traveled north, the land seemed to change. The sky seemed to darken, even in the middle of the day. What people they saw seemed subdued, afraid. They knew they were getting close, that the Dead Queen was near.

The path north seemed unusually clear. They had never been harried once. It was as if the Dead Queen was welcoming them, daring them to come directly to her.

“Last chance, Serpentine,” Mi’ir said, “The next stop is the Dead Queen herself. No turning back once we reach the stronghold.”

“I’m fine.” Serpentine said firmly, “I want to do this.”

“Serpentine. If you’re not sure…” Mordokai started.

“Where else am I going to go? What else am I going to do? Go back to the plains? I don’t think so. There’s still so much for me to learn out here, and that means sticking with you.”

The Dead Queen’s stronghold could be seen on the horizon. It wouldn’t be long now before they were at her gates. “Well, if that’s settled…”

“Let’s go.”

----
    “My Queen…” Dirk made a short bow. “The paladin and his companions have arrived.”

“So it begins. Open the gates.”

Dirk rose from his bow. “If you insist.”

“Doubts, Dirk?”

“I trust in your abilities, my Queen.”

The Dead Queen smiled cruelly. “But just to be sure…kill his companions. I want to be left alone with the Redeemer.”

“Of course.” Dirk left the hall to prepare for their guests.

“It’s been some time since I’ve had the pleasure of on of the Heraldic Order in my grasp.” The Dead Queen laughed to herself, “Wouldn’t want the moment spoiled.”

---
    They found the front gates of the stronghold open, as if they were expected. “At least we won’t have to knock.” Mi’ir muttered to himself.

“Mi’ir, watch over Serpentine and keep her safe. I’ll deal with the Dead Queen personally.” Mordokai said grimly.

“Of course, paladin, just remember our deal.” Mi’ir winked and stepped through the gate. Mordokai readied his sword and followed with Serpentine close behind. Mi’ir was standing stock still when they entered the courtyard. “Well, this is a surprise.”

“Mi’ir?” Mordokai ventured, walking forward.

“Nothing, paladin, just an old friend.” Mi’ir said, still not moving. Mordokai stepped forward to see a thin, white-haired man holding Mi’ir at swordpoint. “Meet Dirk, we have…”

“Let me guess: history?”

“Must be my lucky day.”

Dirk looked at Mordokai. “Sir Mordokai the Humble…welcome. The Queen is waiting for you inside.”

“Do you really think I’m going to leave you here with Mi’ir at your mercy?”

“I don’t see how you have much choice in the matter. You try something, I kill him. You leave, I kill him. Either way, he’s dead.”

Mi’ir smirked. “It’s ok, paladin, I can handle this. Take Serpentine and go.”

“You’re sure?”

“I wouldn’t miss our date for anything.”

“I really hope he beats that sense of humor out of you…” Mordokai turned to Serpentine. “Let’s go, Mi’ir can take care of himself.” Mordokai spared one last look at Mi’ir before running towards the center keep with Serpentine close behind.

“Draw, Mi’ir.”

Mi’ir’s smirk never left his face. He took a step back and drew his weapon. “Been a long time, Dirk.”

“Too long.”

“Ready to finish this?”

Dirk assumed a ready stance, sword held out in front of him to keep Mi’ir as far back as possible. “All too ready.”

“Good.” Mi’ir readied himself. “Then let’s finish this.”

Confrontation (Mordokai/Serpentine/RHL/Cristo (Mi'ir))
    Spoiler
    Show

The main hall stood nearly empty. Large stone columns flanked the dais at the far end of the hall. On a throne on that dais sat the Dead Queen herself. She rose as Mordokai and Serpentine entered her hall. “I’ve been waiting for you.”

Mordokai walked up to the throne. “You know why I’m here.”

The Queen smiled. “I know. The Heraldic Order has come to destroy me.”

Mordokai turned to face Serpentine. “Stay back, Serpentine. You’re not ready for this.”

“Oh, she’ll get her turn soon enough. Mordokai the Humble…all the way out here just for little me…”

“What did you expect? After all the bandit attacks you’ve arranged, after slaughtering that entire village, what did you expect us to do?” Mordokai snapped, “Did you really think we’d sit idly by while you did this?”

“I know nothing of any of that, Mordokai.” The name seemed to roll off of her tongue, as if she enjoyed simply saying it. “The Order has been sticking their nose out here for some time. It was only a matter of time before you landed at my gates.”

“You’ve been idly slaughtering innocent people!”

“I’ve done nothing!” The Queen spat, “My lands are the most secure in this province! The people here are safe from your bandits, your orcish raids, even your damnable Order of the Dark Moon! All because of me!”

Mordokai lowered his sword. Something wasn’t adding up. Of course he expected her to deny everything, but his own eyes had confirmed part of what she’d just said. Her lands were almost completely safe.

“What lies did your Heraldic Order tell you? Hm?” The Queen began. She was about to continue when her eyes turned to the door. Mi’ir was standing in the doorway. Blood trickled from his mouth, but he was otherwise unharmed. The Queen’s eyes widened with recognition. “I see…Now I see…I thought you were here on a mission from the Heraldic Order…I was wrong. To bring him here, to my stronghold…I thought you just another lapdog, Mordokai, now I see you are a fool!” The ground around them began to shake as undead clawed their way through the floor. “Destroy them all!” Her eyes bored into Mordokai. “I will kill you myself!”

“I just have the worst timing in the world…” Mi’ir muttered to himself, “I thought you said you could handle this, paladin!”

“Shut up!” Mordokai stepped towards the Queen, “Protect Serpentine!”

“You’ll all die here, pawn!”

Mordokai had no response to that. The battle against the Dead Queen had begun in earnest.

The Queen Falls (Mordokai/RHL/Serpentine/Cristo (Mi'ir))
    Spoiler
    Show

Mi’ir smashed the head of a skeleton in with his sword hilt. “Same plan as last time, paladin?” he shouted over the battle.

Mordokai didn’t answer. He attacked the Queen, slashing for her head. The blade met an invisible shield and was deflected by her magic. “You can’t beat me, pawn, not like this.” she mocked him, “But please keep trying, it’s been so long since I’ve had this much fun.” Mordokai continued the rain of blows, but each one was deflected by the Queen’s magic.

Mi’ir cut down another undead. “Paladin! This is getting bad!” Serpentine was backed into a corner by the undead. “Paladin!”

Mordokai was unreachable. All his attention was focused on the necromancer in front of him and her mocking smile. “They’re going to die first, you know, I intend to keep you around for a while…” She waved her hand and a wave struck Mordokai, driving him back. Behind him, Mordokai heard Serpentine scream as the undead hemmed her in. He spared one quick look just in time to see several of the undead penning her in the corner fall to the ground with deformed legs and bodies. With no wound to slow him down this time, Mi’ir was cutting his way through the other undead with relative ease.

“Seems to me that we’re the ones winning, necromancer.” Mordokai grinned, “This doesn’t have to end in blood. Give up!”

“I don’t think so, paladin.” More undead clawed their way to the surface. “I can continue this all day.” She battered the paladin around again. “At least you’re amusing me. It isn’t all bad.”

Mordokai spat a bit of blood. He couldn’t even touch the necromancer, not with her shield. He needed a way to get around it or through it. He couldn’t batter it down, he knew that much. There had to be a way. “Serpentine!”

Serpentine’s gaze snapped to Mordokai. “What?”

“Your power! Use it on the Dead Queen!”

“You know…shouting your plan when I’m right here really doesn’t help you…”

Serpentine nodded and gathered up all the power she could manage and let it loose towards the Dead Queen. The necromancer simply laughed. “Is that all you can manage?” She gathered her shield to deflect Serpentine’s magic…

…and Mordokai used that moment to strike. He drove his blade towards her chest. For an instant, just an instant, it seemed to sink through her shield. But it was stopped by the Queen’s magic. “How weak do you think I am? I can easily deflect two targets!”

“How about three?”

A knife buried itself in the Queen’s shoulder. The undead shook and stood still for a moment, revealing Mi’ir standing with throwing arm outstretched. “Didn’t think so…”

Mordokai saw his opportunity. He pushed forward, through the shield and into the Queen’s chest. Surprise was written on her face as she fell to the ground. “S…so…this is what p…pain feels like…” she gasped out, “I…had forgotten…”

Endgame (Cristo (Mi'ir)/Mordokai/Serpentine) (long fic is looonnnggg)
    Spoiler
    Show

The necromancer lay dead at Mordokai’s feet. Her hold on the lands around Serene Valley and the outer province had been shattered. Resting his sword on the ground for a moment, Mordokai breathed a heavy sigh. This part of his quest was finally over.

Mi’ir lowered his sword. “That’s the end of that, then.”

Serpentine let out a sigh of relief. “Is that the last of it?” She looked around at the shattered skeletons and unmoving corpses. “Is that the last of her?”

Mi’ir took a few quiet steps over behind her. “Yes, that’s the last of her. But,” he produced a dagger from his belt, “It’s also the end of your usefulness.” He drove the dagger into her back, she fell with a surprised expression on her face. Mi’ir wiped a bit of blood from his mouth. “The plan is complete, time to tie up the loose ends. It’s nothing personal, my dear.”

Mordokai had turned just in time to see Mi’ir drive the blade into Serpentine’s back. “Mi’ir! What are you doing?!”

Mi’ir only smiled. “Her usefulness is done, as is yours.” He skipped backwards to avoid Mordokai’s blade. “You’ve performed admirably, I’ll give you that.” He readied his sword, the curved blade still shone with undead blood. He wasn’t going to be able to ambush Mordokai like he had Serpentine. “But, we can’t afford loose ends. I believe we had a date for after the Dead Queen was defeated. Time to meet your goddess, paladin.”

Mordokai slashed at Mi’ir’s legs, hoping to slow down the bard. Mi’ir was quicker and more agile than Mordokai could ever hope to be, all his strength didn’t matter if he couldn’t land a blow on the bard. “What are you talking about?” He shouted as he struck. “Loose ends? Performed? You were using us?”

Mi’ir dodged the blade again, turning it aside with his sword. “You still haven’t figured it out. The necromancer was the final obstacle in our way, paladin. With her gone, we can move in and establish control of the province.” He aimed a cut at Mordokai’s eyes, a quick flick of the blade, in an attempt to blind the paladin. “She was the one thing keeping us from coming in and taking over. How does it feel, paladin? Your quest to end evil has only caused an even greater enemy to gain control!”

Mordokai whipped his head back. Mi’ir’s sword still cut his cheek, but it missed his eyes. Blood trickled down his cheek. “How long? How long have you been using us?” Another slash, this time aimed for Mi’ir’s midsection. There was enough force behind it to cleave the bard in two. Mi’ir dodged backwards again and returned the cut, scoring a slice on Mordokai’s arm. Mordokai gritted his teeth and took a step backwards, out of range of Mi’ir’s cuts. “We trusted you! I trusted you!”

Mi’ir laughed. It wasn’t the vibrant, youthful sound Mordokai had usually heard, it was a bitter, dark sound. “All the more fools you!” Nearby, Serpentine’s breathing was becoming shallow as she slowly succumbed to her wounds. “You’d best hurry, paladin, or you won’t be able to save her.” Mordokai charged him, wielding his sword one-handed. Mi’ir turned the blows quickly, taking several steps back. “Sir Mordokai the Humble, used by the Order of the Dark Moon. That is a story worthy of a bardic tale!” Mi’ir smiled, again not the friendly smile Mordokai remembered from back in Serene Valley, but a hateful, spiteful smile. “Your reputation is gone, you are betrayed. Why not just lie down and die?” Mi’ir lashed out with a stab towards Mordokai’s chest.

Mordokai turned the blow aside with his blade. “Because there’s still work to be done!” He resumed the offensive. He was the better swordsman, Mi’ir would have to wear him down if he wanted to win. “You won’t take control from my mistakes!” He let loose a flurry of strikes aimed for Mi’ir’s chest and head. “The Dark Moon will never win!”

Mi’ir was driven back from the attack, but he still laughed. “You think we haven’t already won? You can’t stop us! Even as we speak the Order is moving in, taking control! You’ve lost, paladin! The Balance has been tipped to us!” Mi’ir aimed a cut at Mordokai’s hand. The blow connected, albeit sloppily, only cutting Mordokai’s hand and sending the blade skittering out of his grasp. Mi’ir turned and kicked Mordokai in the chest. There was a surprising amount of strength in the bard and Mordokai was knocked over. “This is your fate, paladin. Face it, you either die here or you live on as a failure. The Heraldic Order, they won’t care that you fought to your last breath against the Dark Moon. You’ll be the one that let the Dark Moon in; that was fool enough to be used to further their plans.” Mi’ir raised his sword. “Accept it and die here.”

Mordokai watched Mi’ir raise his sword. His own sword was just within arm’s reach, maybe just maybe…He dove for it, lifting his shoulder. Mi’ir’s blade cut into his shoulder as his own fingers grasped the hilt. Ignoring the screaming pain in his shoulder, he twisted his blade into a stab, and drove the sword into Mi’ir’s side. Mi’ir screamed and took a few faltering steps backward, clutching the bleeding wound in his side. He looked at Mordokai, then the wound, then back at the Redeemer, and laughed. “You’ve still lost…” Mi’ir fell backwards, landing against one of the stone pillars. “You’ve still lost…”

Mordokai rose to his feet, standing over his former friend. “Not yet I haven’t.” He looked at Mi’ir. The bard was still smiling, even while he bled from a mortal wound. Mordokai saw him for who he really was, he saw through the acts. He saw a man that had given in to hate and anger, let it consume him. The slights that he had been dealt, the pain he had been through, it had warped him, turned him into someone that only cared about revenge.

Mi’ir laughed. “Always the optimist…” He coughed, blood appeared on his lips. “The stalwart defender of the Temple and all its children…you have no idea what waits…” Mi’ir turned his head and spit blood: thick, crimson blood. “End it, paladin, grant me the oblivion I seek…”

Mordokai looked at Mi’ir, then the bloody sword in his hands. Oblivion, the “reward” of the followers of the Dark Moon. Killing Mi’ir would mean his ultimate end: an eternal death. Mordokai was a Redeemer, he was supposed to save the wicked from themselves, not send them to eternal nothingness. In fact, it was his duty to keep that from happening.

“Do it, paladin…”

No one deserved that, no one, not even someone that had betrayed him like this. Serpentine’s breathing had slowed, she didn’t have much time. Mi’ir just lay there, smiling up at him. That smug smile that he wore the day they had met. “End it, paladin!” It was almost as if Mi’ir was pleading, as if even beneath that smugness he wanted to die.

Mordokai turned his back on the bard, still unsure what to do. The betrayal still heated his blood, but his duty was to redeem, to save, and only to destroy when nothing else would work. A few heartbeats passed as Mordokai considered his course…

“You can’t do it…can you? You have me at your mercy…defeated…but you can’t kill me…” Mi’ir laughed weakly, “That…that’s why you won’t win…you’re just…too…good. You would have to become like me to win in the end…and you won’t pay that price…”

Mordokai clenched his teeth. Serpentine was slowly dying, the Order of the Dark Moon was moving in, all because of him. Everything he had believed, everything he had fought for, had only served to bring him to this point. His course of action seemed set. “If becoming like you is what it takes…” he gripped the sword tightly, “…THEN THAT IS WHAT I’LL DO!” With a shout he turned and drove the blade towards Mi’ir’s heart. The sword drove through Mi’ir’s chest and into the stone behind him.

Even dying, Mi’ir never stopped smiling. “Y…you can’t b-…beat me…we’ve already w-won…”

Mordokai knelt down and came up to Mi’ir’s face. “Not while I’m still alive you haven’t…” He twisted the blade and tore it free. Mi’ir’s eyes widened, presumably in pain, then went blank. It was over.

Loose Ends (Dirk Kris)
    Spoiler
    Show

Dirk watched from his spot on a nearby hill. Everything had gone according to plan, all he had to do was wait. After a few moments, he spotted Mi’ir’s familiar, Celestine, limping towards him. “It’s done?”

Celestine slumped down at Dirk’s feet. “Yes. She’s dead.”

“Mordokai?” Celestine shook her head. “Mi’ir?”

Celestine let loose a heavy breath. “Dead. So tired…”

Of course. The familiar never outlived its master. That Celestine was even able to report to him was amazing. “I see.”

“Are we done?”

Dirk turned away. “Yes. Go to your master.” Celestine let loose one final breath, and died. In the end, though, it mattered little. They had done what they were meant to do. That the paladin had survived was unfortunate, but not unplanned. Soon he would leave, presumably to face punishment from the Heraldic Order, and then Dirk would move in and take over where the Dead Queen left.

Compared to living under the Dead Queen, the populace should jump at the chance to live under the rule of the Order of the Dark Moon.

Fallen (CurlyKitGirl/Serpentine/Mordokai)
    Spoiler
    Show

Serpentine blinked against the sunlight, she hadn’t expected to ever see it again. “W…where?”

“Easy, child, lay still, you’re still weak.” Serpentine turned her head to look into Koorli’s face. Recognition flashed across her face. “I see you remember me.”

“What happened?” Serpentine tried to sit up, but a bolt of pain shot up her back and put an end to that ambition, at least for now.

“From what Mordokai told me, Mi’ir stabbed you in the back after the Dead Queen was killed. Then he tried to kill Mordokai as well.”

“Why?”

“So the Order of the Dark Moon could move in unopposed. The Dead Queen was the only thing keeping them in check out here…”

Realization dawned on Serpentine. “Where’s Mordokai?” She shifted and once again earned herself a shot of pain from her wound.

“Lie still, girl! He’s right outside!” Koorli stood up. “I’ll go get him.” Mordokai was right outside, watching the sunset. Koorli met him at the door. “She’s awake, wants to see you.”

“Thank you.” Mordokai turned to go inside.

“It may not seem like it, but you did the right thing. The boy was…beyond saving.”

Mordokai paused. “I don’t regret what I did.” He said coldly. He stepped through the door.

Koorli breathed a heavy sigh. “And that’s what bothers me the most…”

---
    “You’re awake.” Mordokai said as the door closed behind him. “Good. I thought we’d lose you.”

“Mi’ir?” Serpentine asked.

“Dead. I killed him. Celestine too. The backlash usually kills the familiar.”

“So what happens now?”

Mordokai shrugged. “War, I suppose. Not on battlefields and with armies, but with agents and puppets.”

“Between your Order and the Dark Moon?”

“It’s not my Order anymore.”

Serpentine was silent, she didn’t know what to say except “I’m sorry.”

“I’m not.” Mordokai went for the door. “Koorli will take care of you until you’ve healed. But I can’t stay. I’m sorry.” He didn’t wait for a reply. He left the cottage and came face-to-face once again with Koorli.

“Once you start down this road, paladin, you can’t just stop.”

“I don’t intend to stop. Not until I’ve brought the Dark Moon down.”

Koorli shook her head sadly. “As I suspected…good luck, paladin. Once you leave here, you won’t see me again.”

“I know. Goodbye.” Mordokai walked away, leaving the cottage behind.

“To fight the monster, one must be the monster…” Koorli watched him leave, watched him disappear once he crossed the threshold of her influence. “Goodbye, paladin.”
    Last edited by Cristo Meyers; 2008-12-18 at 10:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Troll in the Playground

Bwahaha...hahahaa... haaaaaaaaa! Mangosta, you are gaining many Win points for this. I'm disturbed and a bit amused. Well done.

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻
    Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You're still in the fire. Why are you in the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You died.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I enjoyed those Cristo.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

Well Cristo, I don't think smilies and praises are enough to truly tell you what I think about the series. I was on the edge of my seat through most of it. I even wanted to put up a funny thing between me and Wolfbane after reading the first two, but after finishing it, I just can't. It was too moving.

I don't think I'm capable of expressing much else, so I'll end it there. You know how I feel about it.
    Correction: You probably don't know exactly, but you should have enough guesses to keep you satisfied.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2008-12-19 at 12:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The Real Fight has Just Begun

starring Nil, Mordokai, Lex, Mangosta, Helgraf, and Magtok
    Spoiler
    Show

Nil approached Happy's room. Helgraf could be seen standing outside of it. Mangosta71 stood outside the room. His eyes narrowed as the party approached. He calmly assessed the situation.

Step aside Mangosta. I'm not here for you. Nil said, his voice impassive.

I cannot do that Nil. I did not expect you to be alive. I'm sure it will upset Magtok, so I guess I should kill you now before he sees you. That would cheer him up. And the fact that Lex-kat has come back is also good news.

If you want to save RHL and Happy Lex, I suggest you head to Helgraf's room. No idea what he might be doing to them at the moment.

Lex's face paled as thoughts of what were happening to them floated through her mind. I must go. She said to Nil, and flew off without an answer.

Mangosta smiled. As for you two, I'm afraid I must kill you both. It wouldn't do to have either of you alive.

Mangosta brought up his rapier as Mordokai had his blade drawn and charged, slashing down for a killing blow.

It's very rude of you to interrupt me like that.

I'm sorry. Mordokai said. I just got tired of hearing you babble on like a woman. Go in Nil. I can handle him.

Nil opened the door and stepped into Happy's room, closing it behind him.

He looked about and Magtok was nowhere to be seen. Seeing his sword still stuck in the desk Magtok had stabbed through earlier, Nil pulled it free. He smiled as he was reunited with his blade. What luck he thought.

He cautiously proceeded into the next room. Magtok stood by the balcony, his back to him.

Hello Magtok. Nil said.

Hello Nil. Magtok said, still not turning.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Lex-kat kicked down the door leading into Helgraf's room. Scented candles immediately met her nose as she entered. The lights were on, but no one was to be seen. A present stood by the stand. Looking closer, Lex saw her name written on the tag. She looked around, but still no one appeared. She cautiously opened it. Inside, was a very see-through night-gown. Lex blushed at the thought of it.

A note was also inside the box. Reading it, it said "Put me on."

Hello beautiful. Helgraf said, closing the door behind him and locking it.

enjoy.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

@ deathslayer7- You just love the multi-cliffhangers, huh? Well done.
    *wonders if Lex and Helgraf somehow fall madly in love*
    *doubts it*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Troll in the Playground

*Pounds Reinholdt into oblivion for even suggesting such a thing*

Beautifully written, DS7. But now I'm scared.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

8. - Top - End - #668
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    So, at this point, GW, you're left with two options; go back and retcon DD out of the story and replace him with someone else, or accept what he's done that's essentially ruined whatever direction you were going in.
    At first, I was thinking we could accept DD's as noncannon and continue on, but if we take his little ship up there as a denial of permission, well.. we can't do that.
    Its at this point that I beg DD to be reasonable. It wasn't an attack on your person, but something to further the story, and I highly doubt it was a permanent effect. I'd really rather like to see the story as it was meant to be; with DD as DD and not replaced by someone else.
    No no no...Just go on, ignore my fic...I deleted it as well.
    Just go on with whatever you were going.

I thenk you all for being so reasonable about my little tantrum.
    Stupid me writing that....

This is my last post here, I wish you all the best with your beautifull writings, you all have serious talent. Keep on writing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

9. - Top - End - #669
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, Cristo. That's a lot... Haven't read through it all yet, but I'm liking it so far. Deathslayer, I'm liking yours too.

ok, songfics! Let's get sad out of the way first.

Two Years Later

Song: Who's That Man
    Dirk Kris/Reinholdt/Curly
    Spoiler
    Show
    Turn left at the old hotel
    I know this boulevard much too well it hasn't changed since I been gone
    Oh, This used to be my way home

They paved the road thru the neighborhood
    I guess the county finally fixed it good it was gettin' rough
    Someone finally complained enough

Dirk swung his truck onto the old street. It had been too long since he was last down this way. Too long since he'd been by for a visit. He wanted to see how she was getting on without him. He'd heard, but he'd never been able to go by to see for himself. Too many memories.

Fight the tears back with a smile
    Stop and look for a little while, oh it's plain to see
    The only thing missing is me

The house hadn't changed. He slowed down as it came up, both afraid and hopeful about what he would see. He still loved her, of course. Time hadn't healed that wound. Not yet, anyways.

That's my house and that's my car
    That's my dog in my back yard
    There's the window to the room
    Where she lays her pretty head
    I planted that tree out by the fence
    Not long after we moved in
    That's my kids and that's my wife
    Who's that man, runnin' my life?

He stopped a moment, by the side of the road. Thinking. Remembering. How happy they had been. He wished it would have lasted, but somehow these things never do anymore. And there was Reinholdt, of course. He had come along, with his gifts and his kind words, and taken Curly away. Dirk had lost everything then, but that wasn't why he was here.

If I pulled in would it cause a scene?
    There not really expectin me; those kid's have been through hell
    I hear they've adjusted well

He looked out the window of the truck. The kids certainly seemed happy, playing in the yard. It probably wasn't worth it to stop and get out. No, they had all moved on. He was the one stuck in the past. Stuck wondering what he had done wrong, why his life had turned out this way.

Turn around in the neigbors drive
    I'd be hard to recognise in this pick-up truck
    It's just an old fixer up

Drive away one more time
    Lot of things runnin' thru my mind I guess the less things change
    The more they never seem the same

The truck growled as he turned away for the last time. He would have to check the engine soon, but it had served him well so far. He wouldn't do it here though. He owed them that much. He just wanted to make sure they were happy, after all. To make sure that his life went on, even if he wasn't the one who was there to live it. But even as he left, he couldn't stop the question that had plagued him for the last two years running through his head again...

That's my house and that's my car
    That's my dog in my back yard
    There's the window to the room
    Where she lays her pretty head
    I planted that tree out by the fence
    Not long after we moved in
    That's my kids and that's my wife
    Who's that man, runnin' my life?

And now, we got happy. This song was a little bit harder to pick, but I like it.

Plans
    Song: I'll Never Do Better Than You
    TwoBit/Drider
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some day I'm gonna drive me a faster car
    Park in front of a house with a bigger yard
    I'm gonna break my back, I'm gonna bust my tail
    Taking everything another notch upscale
    I won't fail

Drider was in the kitchen when TwoBit got home. She looked up when the door shut, and he was standing there grinning at her.

Hey, guess what?

They had been together so long now, she already knew the answer. But she smiled and played along, because she knew he wanted to say it first. I don't know. What?

Got promoted today. I'm really doing it. We're moving on up. He crossed the floor and kissed her, taking her hands and spinning her around in an impromptu dance number.

But I'll never, ever do better than you
    When it comes to your love, baby
    I've already done the best I can do
    It's so true
    I'll never, ever do better than you

So what now? Bigger car, bigger house? Maybe a few kids?

Maybe. We'll see. One thing's for sure though, there's no need to make dinner tonight. Get your coat, I'm going to take us out and celebrate. They finished the dance and she went to collect her things, leaving him thinking about how lucky he was.

One day I'm gonna hit a little bigger lick
    And I'll bring you home an even bigger check
    One morning fortune's gonna smile on me
    I'm gonna go even higher than I aim to be
    Wait and see

This is just the beginning, he told her as she got back. I've got some big plans for you and me.

Today the company, tomorrow the world. She said, finishing their old joke.

You know it. Course, there's one thing I'm never going to be able to improve on, cause I've already got the best. They kissed again, and headed out the door together. As they drove away from the house, he smiled again. Life was good.

But I'll never, ever do better than you
    When it comes to your love, baby
    I've already done the best I can do
    It's so true
    I'll never, ever do better than you

alright, three in one day. That's enough for now. Maybe you'll get some more from me tomorrow.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2008-12-19 at 01:36 AM.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

10. - Top - End - #670
    Troll in the Playground

Mango: Hot, hot, hot. Beautiful, and darkly sexy.
    Ego could tempt me easily
    Destro: All were amazing. You are completely amazing. I'm so glad you started writing for us here in the shipthread
    Cristo: Its a bit like finishing a good book. I'm glad to know what's happened, and, yet, there's that bittersweetness...
    I loved the twists. I loved it to pieces. I died well.
    You are wonderful. Thank you for taking us along that.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    What happens when Cristo gets bored and has a fic hanging over his head?

He finishes it.

The final episodes of Dark Moon Rising. This'll probably be more than one post, there's like 8 episodes. Sorry for just kinda unloading them all at once, but I figure if I've got 'em, might as well share 'em.
    *sigh*

It was bound to happen. Sooner or later.

Gret work Cristo I'm honored to be a part of it.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    *sigh*

It was bound to happen. Sooner or later.

Gret work Cristo I'm honored to be a part of it.
    Mordokai.
    I'm in love with your avatar.
    ::drools::

— Iain S. Thomas

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ettin in the Playground

*hands a tissue*

You know, there is so much more for you to drool over...
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

14. - Top - End - #674
    Troll in the Playground

I...I...
    :: blushes and runs away::

— Iain S. Thomas

15. - Top - End - #675
    Troll in the Playground

*Is inexplicably sitting on a tree branch, leaning against the trunk, one leg hanging off, blowing breath in the cold air* Now Mordokai, why'd you have to scare away the pretty girl?
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't worry, she'll be back. One way or another.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Troll in the Playground

*Leans head back against the tree* Sounds...threatening. Something deliciously evil planned?
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah.... best not go into details. This is a public place, after all.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. Well I want the girl. Or the Dryad. You don't get both, that's downright unfair.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Troll in the Playground

;:peeks head out::
    Ah ah ah...
    I believe I'd rather like to have the dryad for myself. Seeing as I now have the task of saving her from the evil Mordokai, I would hope I'd atleast get a kiss.
    :: goes back to hiding::

— Iain S. Thomas

21. - Top - End - #681
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm...If I bring her to you, do I get a kiss too?

*Is, effectively, a total sellsword*
    Last edited by Raistlin1040; 2008-12-19 at 04:59 AM.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, just finished reading those, Cristo. Awesome. That's all I can say. Pure awesome.

Oh, and Mordokai? Love the new avatar. May have to write a ship involving it...
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ogre in the Playground

Cristo!!!! I can't believe its over. When you told me you were finishing it up, I didn't think you would actually post it while I was offline! It was awesome! I can't wait for you to start your next project.

@Mordokai: Your new avatar is cool... but it wounds my hopes for the future...

@Destro: Always nice to see a fic involving me, especially when it involves the lovely Drider.

Great work to everyone, lets hope I can end my dry spell the last couple of days and actually post something.

24. - Top - End - #684

Yeah, I started pretty much when I got home yesterday and hit a groove...next thing I knew it was 9 in the evening and I was done...

*takes a bow*

Now then, what to do next...where's that Fears novel I'm supposed to be working on?

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I started pretty much when I got home yesterday and hit a groove...next thing I knew it was 9 in the evening and I was done...

*takes a bow*

Now then, what to do next...where's that Fears novel I'm supposed to be working on?
    The colleague in me tells me to tell you to continue that Fears novel.

The Fanboy/Shipper in me demands that you start a new epic shipping project!

26. - Top - End - #686

Gimme a chance to recover, man! I'm freakin' dead, remember?

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ogre in the Playground

Gimme a chance to recover, man! I'm freakin' dead, remember?
    *cracks a whip*

Write, write for your life!

Faster! Pharoah will be displeased with you!

*cracks whip*
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-12-19 at 08:53 AM.

28. - Top - End - #688

*gives Pharoh the finger*

Screw that, I'm takin' a break!

29. - Top - End - #689
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Yeah.... best not go into details. This is a public place, after all.
    Daaaamn! Evil Mordokai is Teh Sexay!

Careful now, you'll tempt me back to the dark side.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

30. - Top - End - #690
    Troll in the Playground

Due to lack of computer time in the last day or so, I haven't been able to read the new fics. I'll get around to it, probably tonight.

I other news...I present to you something I've been working on for a bit. I'm leaving a lot out here, obviously, but this details the early history of at least some of the major players. I'll add more as things progress from here.

IStLY Timeline (draft I)
    Spoiler
    Show

887 A.D.: Vladimir is born to Boris and his consort Maria.

895: Simeon is born to Boris and his consort Maria.

901: Ina is born to Boris and his consort Maria.

908: Simeon sent to Constantinople to study. Ina's shapechanging abilities manifest soon after he leaves; Vladimir secretly helps Ina go into hiding after she narrowly escapes being burned as a witch.

909: Boris abdicates throne to Vladimir to become a monk. Simeon returns from Constantinople as a paladin of Tyr. Simeon and Ina secretly reestablish contact.

911: Rabbit is born to Vladimir and his consort, a servant woman. Rabbit's birth takes place under inauspicious stars and priests of Tyr demand she be surrendered to them in order to "prevent a great tragedy." Vladimir refuses and begins to ostracize the church.

912: Boris returns from monastic life to depose Vladimir and assumes the throne again. Boris blinds Vladimir, sends him into exile, and tries to seize Rabbit to surrender her to the Tyr clergy but Simeon and Ina secretly smuggle her to safety. Rabbit is placed with a foster family, including a foster sister, Happyturtle. Boris places Simeon on the throne before returning to the monastery. Peter is born to Simeon and his consort, a former servant woman.

913: CurlyKitGirl is born to Empress Zoe of Byzantium and an unknown suitor.

914: Boris dies in his monastery. Vladimir is murdered while in exile, apparently by Byzantine assassins. Enraged at the apparent betrayal by his former Byzantine allies, Simeon declares war. The war continues for many years and Simeon captures large swaths of Byzantine land while working to educate and improve life for the Bulgarian people.

921: Rabbit's necromantic talents manifest. She is sent away from home to learn from a mentor. Though she initially resents this and is homesick, she continues to correspond by letter with Happyturtle.

924: Rabbit's mentor slain under mysterious circumstances. She flees for her life, only to be taken in by Ego Slayer. Rabbit becomes Ego's 'apprentice.'

927: Simeon's wife dies from a unknown disease. Mourning and remorseful for the bloodshed caused by his war, he attempts to end hostilities by consolodating power with an arranged marriage between Peter and Curly. Zoe rejects the offer, however, and war continues. Later that year, Peter seeks to seize the throne by attempting to poison Simeon. Horrified at his son's actions, Simeon fakes his death and renounces his vows to Tyr as a paladin, becoming the Ghost Warlock. He goes into self-imposed exile and, while away, undergoes the transformation to become an elan while studying psionics. Meanwhile, with Simeon gone, Zoe abdicates the throne of Byzantium to Curly. Curly and Peter negotiate a hasty cease-fire, freezing borders where they currently fall.

929: Ina, working to become a god, poses as a servant girl in order to get close to Peter and the throne of Bulgaria. Ghost returns from exile to assist her.

930: Rabbit attempts to murder the paladin of Sune, Mordokai.

And the rest is IStLY...

Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2008-12-19 at 11:25 AM.