New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

The sycophants. Ugh. I feel ill after reading them. ...And now I shudder at the thought of people being sycophants towards Mookie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

I'm curious as to whether Miranda is going to stand up for her husband-to-be. I know this is being played for comedy, but taken from the drama side her parents are clearly going too far. Callan clearly has no laws against mages harassing ordinary muggles, so it's up to Samantha Miranda to stand up for Darrin Donovan.
    Actualy this does put some other interesting things forward, since i thinks its pretty clear the mages of Callan forms a A-class, where everyone else is second class citizens.
    Whats makes it special though is that the mages really is superior to normal citizens, in the way they can casualy rewrite reality to suit their whims.

That aside, i also do hope that this is the place where Donovan and Miranda makes a stand against her parents.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #423
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

MWAHAHAHAH! Hes right! I DESPISE books! And im still in 1st grade because im illiterate!

And isn't this the author not a fan?

4. - Top - End - #424
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I'm curious as to whether Miranda is going to stand up for her husband-to-be. I know this is being played for comedy, but taken from the drama side her parents are clearly going too far. Callan clearly has no laws against mages harassing ordinary muggles, so it's up to Samantha Miranda to stand up for Darrin Donovan.
    Actually, I'm kind of hoping that Donovan does it himself by challenging his In-Laws-to-be to a duel - after all, he cut his initial into some guy's clothes and was legally challenged to a fight (possibly to the death if they so chose, given what we know of Szark's hobbies), surely the same applies to being blasted by a fireball?

I think it'd be a good moment to see a character like Donovan - the 'Muggle' amongst a cast of world-altering wizards - to suddenly stand up and go "Okay, here's why I'm awesome; this is a sword fight, if you use magic then you're a coward and a cheat and thus a hypocrite for telling me that I am not good enough for Miranda" and then do a full Zorro on the guy. Except maybe with less kissing. Maybe.

Alternatively, a full Classic Zorro on the guy.

Net result: Donovan proves his determination to be with Miranda, as well as his integrity and honour for abiding by the rules of the duel, as well as his moral superiority if the wizards have to resort to cheating. It also proves him a dedicated swordsman, an art that takes years to learn and decades to master, and not the transient, flighty, half-arsed vagrant that they thought he was.
    And it would be fun to see Donovan showing off ith a sword, cracking jokes and embarrassing the guy who'd been tormenting him. Catharsis for so many webcomic writers and readers alike, no?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #425

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Actually, I'm kind of hoping that Donovan does it himself by challenging his In-Laws-to-be to a duel.
    Another form of the Test of Taking? How romantic.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, his response to that review made me really dislike the guy, since the criticism is pretty spot on.

7. - Top - End - #427

At this point, man, he could have just cut his losses and eloped. How could it have gotten worse? Also then we could have gotten some kind of motivation behind Miranda's hate-on for eloping, like "I did it because my parents were terrible and controlling, so to me that's what eloping means, so Dominic you have to do exactly as I say so I'll know you don't think I'm terrible and controlling." I'm a fan of that logic because it kind of contradicts itself right at the end and man a main character with some kind of flaw would be pretty good right about now.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    At this point, man, he could have just cut his losses and eloped. How could it have gotten worse? Also then we could have gotten some kind of motivation behind Miranda's hate-on for eloping, like "I did it because my parents were terrible and controlling, so to me that's what eloping means, so Dominic you have to do exactly as I say so I'll know you don't think I'm terrible and controlling." I'm a fan of that logic because it kind of contradicts itself right at the end and man a main character with some kind of flaw would be pretty good right about now.
    That's probably what's gonna happen, except Mookie won't notice the contradiction.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    Yeah, his response to that review made me really dislike the guy, since the criticism is pretty spot on.
    Also I'm pretty sure the review came from SomethingAwful, where "poo poo" is a filter. It's the worst response to criticism I've ever read.

10. - Top - End - #430

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure the review came from SomethingAwful, where "poo poo" is a filter. It's the worst response to criticism I've ever read.
    Yeah, poo-poo/gently caress/etc are swear filters if you're looking at a page while not logged in.

11. - Top - End - #431

There are lots of others, too, like "lovely" for "lame". And you don't get "gently carressing" but "loving".

Kinda threw me off in another SA thread where the word lovely was actually used to mean lovely. It does induce a sort of doublethink. "Wait, what does he suddenly tell that this thing is lame after all the praise he lavished bef... Oh wait, it just wasn't actually filtered."
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

12. - Top - End - #432

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    The sycophants. Ugh. I feel ill after reading them. ...And now I shudder at the thought of people being sycophants towards Mookie.
    I wish the comments werent closed so I could yell at him for claiming Nickelback sucks. Nickelback doesnt suck, HE SUCKS!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #433

Hey, guys, stop criticizing Mookie for drawing all his characters with snouts! You know what else has snouts? Puppies! If you hate snouts, then you must hate puppies as well!

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    Hey, guys, stop criticizing Mookie for drawing all his characters with snouts! You know what else has snouts? Puppies! If you hate snouts, then you must hate puppies as well!
    Move along citzen, there is nothing to see here. Kill him! He knows our secret!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    Oh man, is this going to be a recurring deal? I really hope so. Masterful use of "this is the source of the quote", as well.
    Heh. 50% of Lessons From Webcomics now cites DD. Excellent

I like that guy and what he's doing. They're good points, with good references, and with helpful advice. While I'm having a bit of a quibble with the underlying reasons for "thinking about it" (isn't murder particularly heinous? Yet bloodsplatter can be played for laughs. Why the difference? What does it say about people generally?) he's spot-on with the need to think about what you're writing and why you're writing it. Regardless of subject, self-examination (and being receptive to criticism) is essential for making a good product.

Re: Comic
    Tastes Like Diabetes
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Another form of the Test of Taking? How romantic.
    Well, Donovan did spend a lot of time hanging out in Orc culture...
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

17. - Top - End - #437
    Orc in the Playground

.... I never cared about subnormality before reading this. I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it. Now I hate it. What a pretentious dickweed. Comics are not books, and having ****loads of words do not make bad books into good books.
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

18. - Top - End - #438

Griffon

Well, Donovan did spend a lot of time hanging out in Orc culture...
    Not yet! That comes later, when the Deegan-Duo are making their first trip to Maltak and meet Karnak/fight in the first War.

It's not Orc culture, this is just how DONOVAN thinks.....
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

19. - Top - End - #439

Quote Originally Posted by Toast1862 View Post
    .... I never cared about subnormality before reading this. I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it. Now I hate it. What a pretentious dickweed. Comics are not books, and having ****loads of words do not make bad books into good books.
    Oh, the author is pretentious, I don't disagree. I still find enjoyment in his comics though. It's not a defense of wordiness in general, but I've always found that it worked for subnormality (in many cases). I don't really view it as a webcomic though, more of a weird experimental art show that plays with the infinite canvas a lot.

I guess since I classify it differently, the text doesn't bother me as much as it would otherwise. Huh, I never though about that before. Human brains are weird.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

Thank all of you for introducing me to yet another mediocre webcomic!
    (No, not DD. I didn't have the sense to quit reading before the Snowsong fiasco. That would be Subnormality. Wasted two hours to find out the reason I was wasting those two hours. But it's the wrong thread to dwell on its flaws.)
    And less sarcastically, thanks for introducing me to Learn From Webcomics, as it's going to help me more than just webcomics.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

21. - Top - End - #441

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I wish the comments werent closed so I could yell at him for claiming Nickelback sucks. Nickelback doesnt suck, HE SUCKS!
    To be fair, Nickleback does kind of suck.

I feel it is important that people know that I'm the kind of person that hates things that are easy to hate.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

22. - Top - End - #442

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    To be fair, Nickleback does kind of suck.

I feel it is important that people know that I'm the kind of person that hates things that are easy to hate.
    Nickleback sucks because Chad Kroeger is incapable of varying his voice. Took me the longest time to realize why their music was so grating, until it hit me that the voice never varied in pitch or tone, just kind of a disinterested gravelly growl.

As a Canadian, I apologize for unleashing such a creature upon the music world.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

23. - Top - End - #443

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    Nickleback sucks because Chad Kroeger is incapable of varying his voice. Took me the longest time to realize why their music was so grating, until it hit me that the voice never varied in pitch or tone, just kind of a disinterested gravelly growl.

As a Canadian, I apologize for unleashing such a creature upon the music world.
    Hmph, better him than beiber.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #444

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Kinda threw me off in another SA thread where the word lovely was actually used to mean lovely. It does induce a sort of doublethink. "Wait, what does he suddenly tell that this thing is lame after all the praise he lavished bef... Oh wait, it just wasn't actually filtered."
    I have a hard time not using "lovely" in a non-sarcastic sense these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    While I'm having a bit of a quibble with the underlying reasons for "thinking about it" (isn't murder particularly heinous? Yet bloodsplatter can be played for laughs. Why the difference? What does it say about people generally?)
    Because rape is handled a heck of a lot worse, often flippantly thrown in for extra gritty points or to point out an irredeemable bad guy with little thought for the actual rape victims who will be reading or viewing. Murder at least has the dramatic change of removing a character from the story. It's a lot easier to write a sympathetic hero who committed justified murder than the horrible loops Mookie jumped through to attempt to write justified rape.

I might be writing too much for a quibble, but it was mainly for that last sentence. DD provides perfect negative examples for everything.

(Also if we're going to be using pronouns for the Learn from Webcomics author, I'm 90% sure she's a woman.)
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-12-02 at 04:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

I have the perfect explanation for why rape is 99% usualy a bad idea.

The main point is: It sucks out every piece of humor in the media like a dark hole. Seriously. All comedic relief, all camp, all whackiness goes into a dark void and is never seen again.

If they DO include humor in the movie all you can think of is "WHAT- There including humor into THIS!". Its impossible to shift the atmosphere to comedic without feeling awkward and just outright terrible unless rape issue is resolved. Your stil not allowed humor. Merely a less bumpy road.

And thats how Rape is. Its a huge boulder in the road. Dumping it creates debris and rubble that you can never really clear off no matter if you round the boulder or drop it from a lesser hight.

Thats why if your road doesn't really have bumps in it beforehand it will just be jarring past the boulder.

It works best in stories that are already bumpy and have no humor and can adress the situation seriously.

Thats why even in the best of stories rape is just so jarring.

Murder is also an important topic and it can be played for lols, for nothing or for disturbing depending on the context and method.

If in Commando Arnold Slowly Tortured his enemies to death it would be disturbing.

26. - Top - End - #446

NecromancerGuy

^: Indeed. This is why the idea/subject of rape jokes confuses me to no end. I think I've yet to actually see or hear one of these things that speaking out against seems to have gone viral amongst my female contacts with even vaguely feminist inclination.

...Wait.

Wait...

Is that what the hands of salvation meme really is?

And here I thought it was just mocking mookie but now I'm scared, horrified, and confused....
    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    And less sarcastically, thanks for introducing me to Learn From Webcomics, as it's going to help me more than just webcomics.
    I'd just like to second that. Pretty interesting stuff and reminds me that I should probably start writing again before I become illiterate.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-12-02 at 05:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

27. - Top - End - #447
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Oh it is. Its simply mocking the hoops mookie made for this to "sorta" make sense. That made more place in a like a grimdark tale. Where the world is SO messed up only this can be the peak of brighntess.

But nope. This is DD BITCHES!

28. - Top - End - #448

So, I guess the focus is absurdism. Melna and Stonewater live in a world where things happen for no good reason, and that scene is just the epitome of it from a sympathetic-to-their-plight viewpoint. At least chaosploding doesn't linger with you for years.

So, appending the hands of salvation to any vaguely relevant sequence is like saying "Bad writing could happen to any of them."

Alternatively, just imagine it with a red-yellow flashing THIS IS STUPID! on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

29. - Top - End - #449

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Is that what the hands of salvation meme really is?

And here I thought it was just mocking mookie but now I'm scared, horrified, and confused....
    It's entirely about mocking Mookie. It's in the same vein as the ghastly miscarriage jokes made at CADs expense.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Troll in the Playground

I find Mookie's attempt at creating a "sexy rapist" - that he phrased it like that is hilarious, by the way - no more or less creepy than his way of having morally grey characters like Celesto murder villains so they get their totally deserved punishment but the heroes don't have to dirty their hands. (Which means it is really creepy, but doesn't really stand out to me.)

Even the way Stonewater was instantly forgiven could, while it's of course several kinds of terrible, still be attributed to Mookie's shortcomings as a writer to at least some degree.
    EDIT: I'm mainly referring to his general pacing issues, here. He might have just wanted to move on quickly and given no thought to the implications.

But there's no excuse for having Melna first call him her husband several times - and the occasions or thoughts behind it don't matter at all here - and then fall in love with him.
    I still have no idea what madness possessed him there.

As for the comic Mookie apparently uploaded at some point today, bluh.
    I do wonder how bad they made Donovan feel with that, though. Are we still in the realm of "a lot" or have we moved on to "just...wow"? Did they possibly even put him in a ridiculous dress and laugh at him?
    Apart from those questions, however, I really don't care. Can we please go back to Jayden? I want to see how pathetic she can get.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2011-12-02 at 06:15 PM.